Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR needs 80s shurikens
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wounded Ronin
Remember how back in the 80s shurikens, and not handguns, swivel mounted machineguns, or rare Walther sniper rifles were the most likely thing to make a person die in a single hit? Remember Sho Kosugi in, "Revenge of the Ninja" telling the police detective about how rare, special, and deadly a shuriken is? It was something to the effect of, "The construction is very precise! Only by passing through the gate of the eye can it kill!" They went on about how in this day and age a person couldn't possibly own t3h r34l shuriken becuase only "a master" would know just how to make one. And then the film has people getting one-shotted and dying all over the place with shuriken.

Well, many years ago, what was the reason that I wanted to start playing Shadowrun? It all started with a Shadowrun novel. I've long since forgotten the title of said novel and all the details about the stories. Except for two. There was a guy wearing a yukata that had a Japanese beer company's logo on it. And a little earlier the guy was having his asian mentor flashbacks and then he ran into a fence. It was the lure of the 80s that made me do everything that I could at that time to learn about Shadowrun, at a time when I didn't know the location of any game stores and the only references I could find after being interested for over a year to the game was the SNES game...

So, it always struck me as a little odd that while the katana gets a manly STR + 3 M damage code, to show how its 80s asiaticness makes it more AWESOME than the piddling non-JAPANESE BEER COMPANY LOGO YUKATA WEARING regular Sword (STR M, fool!) that the shuriken had but a lowly L damage code. I mean, if 80s ninja films are any indication, shurikens were the leading cause of American industrial decline in the areas of of automobile manufacture and high tech in the 80s. Probably because JAPANESE NINJA ROBOTS would go around flinging shuriken at midwestern auto workers and MAKING THEM DIE IN ONE HIT. There's a reason that American cars sucked at that time and it had nothing to do with the auto workers; the blame is squarely on Japanese ninja robots with shurikens.

Many players have chosen to equip their player characters with dikoted shuriken, which makes more sense in the 80s movie paradigm, but it still leaves me as unsatisfied as a big plate of rice with no meat. Sure, a troll with maxed out strength flinging a dikoted shuriken is pretty fun, but what about "Revenge of the Ninja"? Sho Kosugi didn't need dikote and giant green troll arms to kill...

The ONLY SOLUTION TO THIS CRISIS is to introduce a new item called the "Revenge of the Ninja Shuriken". Here we go:

ROTNS
Damage Code: 2D
Range: Heavy Pistol
Cost: 1000 nuyen
Avail: extremely rare; only available if you have some ninja master to help you
St. Index: 5 (very rare, but limited knowledge of product and utility)

The way I see it, the ROTNS damage code of 2D reflects how "only by entering the gate of the eye may it kill". Your strength doesn't matter. Only your skill does. If your skill with the thrown weapon is really high everyone drops like flies. But if your skill is crap you will have a much harder time killing anyone than you would if you were just using a gun. Also, the extended range reflects how the shuriken flies with unnerring magic into all the suits who are unloading their pistols at you and makes the DIE. To balance all this out, however, throwing the ROTNS is actually a Complex Action since the character must carefully raise his arm, pose, and then throw for the deadly shot.

In keeping with what was fashionable back in the 80s the ROTNS must be a star shuriken and not a kunai. Furthermore, whenever a player character throws a shuriken, the player must vocalize, "FWWSHHOOOOWWW!", which represents the deadly shuriken sound effect from "Revenge of the Ninja."
nezumi
I always just figured they coated the shurikens with a poison and let it dry, so it only became potent when it was picked up by the blood stream.
TheMadDutchman
In Batgirl (before it was cancelled) though I can't remember which issue it was She fought Shrike (an evil ninja who hates Nightwing) and beat him w/ some shuriken. In the issue she actually throws them so that they hit major arteries. Shrike even comments on her accuracy noting that if he pulls them out- he'll die.

Kyoto Kid
...Tomoe was just as effective throwing Baseballs as shuriken. Not only were baseballs cheaper but totally legal. I mean who's going to hassle someone for carrying a couple baseballs especially when they're wearing a Mariners warm up jacket and cap (armoured of course). True they were only Str L(S) rather than Physical. But knocking out an opponent still takes him out of combat & she could always pull out her fineblades and geek him afterwards.

Yeah she would have been deadly with a pocket full of ROTNS, but alas, not as colourful.
Daddy's Little Ninja
You are confusing Hollywood with real life. In movies it looks cool to throw this deadly pin wheel. in reall ife they are not usually deadly but a painful distraction. A good movie example is in You only Live Twice when Tiger saves Sean Connery's life by hitting the bad guy with one before he can pull a trigger. The bad guy runs away cradling his arm.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja)
You are confusing Hollywood with real life. In movies it looks cool to throw this deadly pin wheel. in reall ife they are not usually deadly but a painful distraction. A good movie example is in You only Live Twice when Tiger saves Sean Connery's life by hitting the bad guy with one before he can pull a trigger. The bad guy runs away cradling his arm.

Yes, but that was from the 60s or the 70s, right? In the 80s the shuriken is imbued with 80s Essence which makes it unerringly accurate at tremendous ranges and instantly lethal. You'll note the lack of FWOOOOSH sound effect spontaneously coming from the environment if you should happen to throw a shuriken today.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (TheMadDutchman)
In Batgirl (before it was cancelled) though I can't remember which issue it was She fought Shrike (an evil ninja who hates Nightwing) and beat him w/ some shuriken. In the issue she actually throws them so that they hit major arteries. Shrike even comments on her accuracy noting that if he pulls them out- he'll die.

That's hilarious. I have this mental image of a ninja with shurikens jammed in his femoral and brachial arteries symetrically on both sides of his body giving his speech about accuracy. And then one of them just slides out and clatters to the floor totally by accident. The ninja says, "Oh, crap," and then turns into a bloody explosion Hokuto No Ken style.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Aug 21 2007, 03:07 PM)
You are confusing  Hollywood with real life. In movies it looks cool to throw this deadly pin wheel. in reall ife they are not usually deadly but a painful distraction. A good movie example is in You only Live Twice when Tiger saves Sean Connery's life by hitting the bad guy with one before he can pull a trigger. The bad guy runs away cradling his arm.

Yes, but that was from the 60s or the 70s, right? In the 80s the shuriken is imbued with 80s Essence which makes it unerringly accurate at tremendous ranges and instantly lethal. You'll note the lack of FWOOOOSH sound effect spontaneously coming from the environment if you should happen to throw a shuriken today.

...I remember OddJob's bowler in Goldfinger going FWOOOOSH when he threw it. Would that make it a proto ROTNS?
Critias
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja)
You are confusing Hollywood with real life.

Or maybe he's not "confusing" anything, and is very purposefully, knowingly, and consistently using movies as inspiration for stuff while stating outright his stuff is inspired by movies.

Oh, no, wait. That can't be it. The only possible answer is that he's confused whether or not his day-to-day is a movie or not.
Daddy's Little Ninja
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (TheMadDutchman @ Aug 21 2007, 09:42 AM)
In Batgirl she actually throws them so that they hit major arteries.  Shrike even comments on her accuracy noting that if he pulls them out- he'll die.

That's hilarious. I have this mental image of a ninja with shurikens jammed in his femoral and brachial arteries symetrically on both sides of his body giving his speech about accuracy. And then one of them just slides out and clatters to the floor totally by accident. The ninja says, "Oh, crap," and then turns into a bloody explosion Hokuto No Ken style.

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Aug 21 2007, 03:07 PM)
You are confusingĀ  Hollywood with real life. In movies it looks cool to throw this deadly pin wheel. in reall ife they are not usually deadly but a painful distraction. A good movie example is in You only Live Twice when Tiger saves Sean Connery's life by hitting the bad guy with one before he can pull a trigger. The bad guy runs away cradling his arm.

...I remember OddJob's bowler in Goldfinger going FWOOOOSH when he threw it. Would that make it a proto ROTNS?

Hmm. Very much so, if you think about it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012