Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RL: First protest against UCAS
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Homme-qui-rigole
link
Kagetenshi
I agree with the poster. UCAS is so much more catchy than "Americanada".

~J
Herald of Verjigorm
Why even bothering to mention Canada? It's not like they'd add anything useful. Just stick another star or two on the flag. Or declare the whole thing a territory or protectorate, whichever one it is that pays taxes but has no representation.

If you need to mention mountyland, why not use the marketing style: USA*

*now with Canada
nezumi
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
If you need to mention mountyland, why not use the marketing style: USA*

*now with Canada

That had me laughing for five minutes... I wish I could share it with my friends without the long setup.
Kagetenshi
USA: now with real maple leaf flavour!

~J
Kyoto Kid
...USEh
Lazerface
New America! Now with Canada, for all your smuggling needs.

or

America! Now with 20% more terrorism.

It'll be fun when the border falls. All i'm sayin'
Kagetenshi
Polar bears are terrorists, don'tcha know.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go use some "hacking tools" to figure out what's wrong with my network.

~J
Lazerface
Polar bears and all them silly little immigrants that the Canadian guv'mint has just been letting in over the last few years.

And Canadians.
PBTHHHHT
I, for one, welcome our new Canadian Overlords with open arms, eh?
Kyoto Kid
...actually it's a secret plot by the US Government so when they institute Mandatory Conscription, to send more troops to Viet...er...Iraq, there will be no place to run to.
Serial_Peacemaker
Though I wonder, what exactly are those people protesting? I can't tell from the picture where that is, but I'm guessing it is in Canada.
Straight Razor
there is currently a fear among the consertive base in the USA right now(real or imagined), that the US, Canada, and Mexico will form a north American union. Like the euro union.

some feel that the SPP is the first step twords this.
http://www.spp.gov/

then there is also talk of the amero
http://www.amerocurrency.com/index.html
Cadmus
Thats just like in one of my ideas,

wana hear? sure ya do.

See the North America gets its act together and makes. The AU we already have the EU and then the rest of the world can be the FU smile.gif I think it works well. we can get Australia and Israel and a few other nations like them to make the OU. (Other union) If we have too smile.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Straight Razor)
there is currently a fear among the consertive base in the USA right now(real or imagined), that the US, Canada, and Mexico will form a north American union.  Like the euro union.

some feel that the SPP is the first step twords this.
http://www.spp.gov/

then there is also talk of the amero
http://www.amerocurrency.com/index.html

...and here's the cornerstone...

NAFTA Highway
DuckEggBlue Omega
With NAFTA and the formation of the EU it's not completely unfounded, but Canada has enough trouble stopping Quebec from seceding, I can't see them managing to form the United Canadian American (Mexican?) States.
fistandantilus4.0
I blame the New World Order.

For Everything.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)

For Everything.

...[emphasis mine] remember what other despot in history used that term...

That's why it give me the creeps time I hear it.
Kagetenshi
Who, Woodrow Wilson? The League of Nations may have flopped, but "despot" is probably a bit harsh.

~J
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Aug 26 2007, 02:23 PM)
Who, Woodrow Wilson? The League of Nations may have flopped, but "despot" is probably a bit harsh.

~J

...I was referring to a certain paper hanger from Austria and his little party.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (DuckEggBlue Omega)
With NAFTA and the formation of the EU it's not completely unfounded, but Canada has enough trouble stopping Quebec from seceding, I can't see them managing to form the United Canadian American (Mexican?) States.

Exactly! And what would be more unifying than a war of conquest/pacification against the French Canadians? Everyone gets to feel like one big happy family whilst kicking the shite out of them. smile.gif I mean, as Warren Ellis put it recently
Which would be new, if most people didn't already know that French Canadians are among the most unpleasant mammals on the face of the planet.
Lantzer
Oh I don't know about that.

Last time the US invaded Quebec we got our butts kicked.
Kagetenshi
That's only because the gummint stopped Maine from dealing with Quebec. If they'd just let the war go on like the state declared it, there'd be no troubles.

~J
MITJA3000+
Interesting. And it's always nice to see that everything ain't so rosy across the pond in good ole U.S. of A. Maybe if there's enough shit on their own turf maybe they would leave the rest of the world alone. Wishful thinking maybe...
Backgammon
QUOTE (MITJA3000+)
Maybe if there's enough shit on their own turf maybe they would leave the rest of the world alone. Wishful thinking maybe...

Considering the US probably has MORE internal problems than most other countries, I don't think that's likely to happen. The US's resilience is pretty freakin high, you gotta give em that.
MITJA3000+
QUOTE (Backgammon)
QUOTE (MITJA3000 @ +Aug 27 2007, 11:41 AM)
Maybe if there's enough shit on their own turf maybe they would leave the rest of the world alone. Wishful thinking maybe...

Considering the US probably has MORE internal problems than most other countries, I don't think that's likely to happen. The US's resilience is pretty freakin high, you gotta give em that.

That's probably true. But there has to be some limit when US citizens will stop eating the bullshit. I actually am a US citizen and have a US passport, which I got when I was younger, but the way things are now, I don't want anything to do with the country. Except for Shadowrun of course wink.gif
JesterX
Wow... Can I say that there is a lot of ignorance about north american politics (and especially Canada politics) going on in this thread?

I don't blame anyone, it's probably due to what major networks news channel are telling you.

Ok, where can I start... ?

First of all, that flag comes from the Montebello summit that happened last week here, in Canada.

The participants were:

-Stephen Harper (Our Canadian Prime Minister)
-George W. Bush
-Felipe Calderon (The mexican president)

And there was also a videoconference with several big enterprises CEO's such as Walmart, GM, GE, Exxon-Mobil, Lockeed Martin and a lot of others...

The big problem (and why there was a manifestation):

The total secrecy of the content of this meeting.

Some people say that this is totally against the democracy for our prime minister to meet such representants of other countries / enterprises without the subject to be exposed to the public.

I don't know how to say it in english but in french, we say "À huis clos" and this is against our constitution and "La charte des droits et libertés"

On a personnal note, I tend to agree with the manifesters but wasn't among them.

Also, for the ignorants of the current canadian politics, there is no risk of Quebec seceding from Canada in the near future... that is soooo 1990's ^_^

For many reasons...

First of all, the main political party that supported the secession of Quebec is losing popularity every day... they lack the support of the population since another political party (l'action démocratique) is growing in popularity in Quebec.

and also, there was in the 90's a really huge wave of immigrants from all around the world that got their citizenship and guess what? They almost all were taught (by the federal government) to vote "NO" to the 1995 referendum because it would put the country in havok and such...

Guess what? It worked...
Stumps
-Stephen Harper (Our Canadian Prime Minister)
-George W. Bush
-Felipe Calderon (The mexican president)

This is my favorite part.

The declarations, and lack of, say so much.
JesterX
I omitted to introduce Mr. Bush as he is probably the most known person in the entire world.

If I added a declaration for G.W. Bush, it would have been:

"If you don't know who he is, you must live on another planet"
Fortune
QUOTE (JesterX)
Guess what? It worked...

Just! wink.gif

And there a shit-load of Canadians that were hoping it wouldn't.
Fortune
QUOTE (JesterX)
I omitted to introduce Mr. Bush as he is probably the most known person in the entire world.

Other than Paris Hilton. wink.gif
Stumps
QUOTE (JesterX)

If I added a declaration for G.W. Bush, it would have been:

"If you don't know who he is, you must live on another planet"

Exactly.
imperialus
QUOTE (MITJA3000 @ +Aug 27 2007, 09:41 AM)
Interesting. And it's always nice to see that everything ain't so rosy across the pond in good ole U.S. of A. Maybe if there's enough shit on their own turf maybe they would leave the rest of the world alone. Wishful thinking maybe...

Cept that was Canada's Parliament buildings in the background.

Really this is the same re-hashing of an old debate that's been going on since NAFTA was first formed. On the Canadian side at least the concerns are more about protecting Canada's soverignty over our natural resources than anything else.

Oh and how about
State of Canada, Now Soverignty free!
hyzmarca
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)

For Everything.

I agree. Hulk Hogan's heal turn was the first is a huge series of mistakes on the part of WCW.
JesterX
QUOTE (imperialus)
Really this is the same re-hashing of an old debate that's been going on since NAFTA was first formed. On the Canadian side at least the concerns are more about protecting Canada's soverignty over our natural resources than anything else.

Absolutly true...

Whatever in which province you live in, whatever what your primary language is. That's the main concern right now.
imperialus
QUOTE (JesterX)
QUOTE (imperialus @ Aug 28 2007, 05:21 PM)
Really this is the same re-hashing of an old debate that's been going on since NAFTA was first formed.  On the Canadian side at least the concerns are more about protecting Canada's soverignty over our natural resources than anything else.

Absolutly true...

Whatever in which province you live in, whatever what your primary language is. That's the main concern right now.

You're complaining about lack of depth in a 2 line post? How about if I phrased it as "MANY of the concerns?" Happy now?
JesterX
QUOTE (imperialus)
QUOTE (JesterX @ Aug 28 2007, 08:28 PM)
Really this is the same re-hashing of an old debate that's been going on since NAFTA was first formed.  On the Canadian side at least the concerns are more about protecting Canada's soverignty over our natural resources than anything else.

Absolutly true...

You're complaining about lack of depth in a 2 line post? How about if I phrased it as "MANY of the concerns?" Happy now?

Sorry if it was taken that way... There was absolutly no sarcasm in my sentence and I agreed with you. I didn't complained about anything.

I'm a french Canadian and yes, I do feel like the majority of the other Canadians about the rape of our natural resources.

But of course, you're right the Canada have other concerns too... (like being competitive on the international market and so on...)
Critias
QUOTE (MITJA3000+)
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Aug 27 2007, 12:08 PM)
QUOTE (MITJA3000 @ +Aug 27 2007, 11:41 AM)

That's probably true. But there has to be some limit when US citizens will stop eating the bullshit. I actually am a US citizen and have a US passport, which I got when I was younger, but the way things are now, I don't want anything to do with the country. Except for Shadowrun of course wink.gif

Somehow, we'll try to make it without you. In fact, you can take the rest of fucking Finland with you, too, and we'll all just keep a stiff upper lip about it and soldier on, somehow, without your support and encouragement.
eidolon
Consider this everyone's one warning in regard to personal attacks, flameing, etc. in this thread.
imperialus
QUOTE (JesterX)
QUOTE (imperialus @ Aug 29 2007, 12:03 AM)
QUOTE (JesterX @ Aug 28 2007, 08:28 PM)

Absolutly true...

Sorry if it was taken that way... There was absolutly no sarcasm in my sentence and I agreed with you. I didn't complained about anything.

I'm a french Canadian and yes, I do feel like the majority of the other Canadians about the rape of our natural resources.

But of course, you're right the Canada have other concerns too... (like being competitive on the international market and so on...)

Oh, I owe you an appology too. The joys of trying to communicate on the internet. sarcastic.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012