Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Books
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Eldritch
A question to those in the know (And you know who you are):
Will there be any new SR novels in the near (or distant) future?

Inquiring minds......

TinkerGnome
Sort of...

QUOTE (SR3 FAQ)
Will FanPro publish Shadowrun novels?
Not in English. WizKids will be publishing Shadowrun novels to accompany their Shadowrun Duels game, starting with a trilogy authored by Steve Kenson. No release date has yet been announced.
Fantasy Productions will be publishing Shadowrun novels in German.
Buzzed
=/
Bearclaw
Am I the only one who would really like to read the German books?
Kagetenshi
Yes. You are the only one with any interest whatsoever. That includes the German Shadowrun community, too.

Yeah, translations'd be nice. Any chance of them at some point?

~J
Zolhex
When I asked this in 2002 question of Fanpro I was told not in english from them and was told to ask Wizkids. I asked Wizkids they said no talk to Fanpro they are in charge of all things Shadowrun. I sent this email to Fanpro they told me maybe sometime in mid 2003. Now as we all know mid 2003 has come and gone so I asked again. First Fanpro they again told me ask Wizkids so I did they said Fanpro yet again I passed on the email to Fanpro they said sometime in mid 2004. So as it sits Fanpro has said they will twice while Wizkids continues to pass the buck however as you can see all Fanpro is doing is stalling so in my opinion no we will not see any new novels untill mid 2004 if ever at all. Why do I say that simple I don't think the novels sold to well so it is not worth it and before you ask I own the entire collection.
Adam
WizKids owns the English-Language novel rights for Shadowrun; period.
Zolhex
QUOTE (Adam @ Nov 18 2003, 02:13 AM)

While this is without doubt in my mind. They could let Fanpro or someone working with Fanpro to do more novels. However from what I have heard Wizkids is now owned by Topps. So they are not gonna do anything in the Shadowrun market simply due to the fact they are gonna want to put out product geared towards there main line of expertise. In other words sports related stuff.
Pistons
"Not going to do anything"? That would be shooting themselves in the foot, as they own the license. Be realistic.

They're still likely to do something. It's just going to take longer, thanks to the recent layoffs and the reason behind them.
Abstruse
Yeah, like Microsoft is doing something with the video game rights...

The Abstruse One
Eldritch
QUOTE (E.O.T.L.F.)

Ok, but are they planning to do anything with those rights?
Eldritch
QUOTE (E.O.T.L.F.)

Ok, but are they planning to do anything with those rights?
TinkerGnome
They are publishing Duels novels, which use the SR world. It may be the case that they don't want to dilute the impact of their Duels specific novels by having other SR novels coming out.
Eldritch
Okay, I'm kinda out of the loop on Duels - is it that popular? Or are they hoping that the novels will help with the marketing?

Synner
The Duels novels (intended to focus on the characters/models from that game) were announced right after the first wave of figures came out and so its probably safe to assume it is part of the general marketing and exploiting their crossover sales potential.

SR:Duels turned out to be moderately popular but is facing some trouble getting a decent following going due in part to bad support and the delay in the second wave of figures brought on by Wizkids buyout by Topps and subsequent revision of priorities.
Kagetenshi
Shadowrun Duels suffers from the chronic problem of all things Shadowrun: a rules system with loopholes the size of a small planet, riddled with inconsistencies.
In my opinion, it only makes the game better, as that provides all the more opportunity for spending days hammering out houserules, but the wider market doesn't see that as a good thing.
I haven't had a chance to play through with the expanded rules available for download yet, but the basic rulebook makes you blink a few times before you make your own ruling and go back to having fun.

~J
Eldritch
Swell...

I guess what I'm after is a continuation of the novels. I don't get to play anymore so haven't picked up any source books in a while. I've been following the SR Universe 'metaplot' throught the novels.

O well, I guess time will tell. And I get to reread all the old ones for now.
Zolhex
Also check out the short stories on the Shadowrun home page.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012