Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: government control of thought
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Daddy's Little Ninja
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/eo2...20070823fc.html

This is a RL article but it reminded me very much of AZT's control of religion in Mexico. In it modern China has said the llamas must get permission from the government to reincarnate. Sadly it shows they Chinese are dominating the tibetan culture but just the way they phrase it is funny.
Redjack
Oh man does that give me ideas for a run!!
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja)
In it modern China has said the llamas must get permission from the government to reincarnate.

I know you mean lamas, but the mental image is so much cooler with llamas in accordance with your typo.
nezumi
The Dalai Lama didn't specify what species he'd reincarnate as...
Daddy's Little Ninja
Sorry, the two ll spelling got by the spell check and I am Shinto, not buddhist. Currently in tibet the #2 lama is under house arrest. The Chinese did not like him so they named their own person, which oddly no one else accepts. I wonder if the Dali lama has to reincarnate in Tibet? In theory couldn't he come back near by? Like in Nepal or India?
mfb
at least according to Wikipedia, the 14th Dalai Lama has stated several times that he refuses to be reincarnated inside territory controlled by the PRC.
Slump
You know, I always thought the point of reincarnation is that you don't get to choose. Even the supreme poobah shouldn't be able to say "nah, I don't want to reincarnate there."
FlakJacket
The fun part is going to be when the current Dalai Lama dies and we then get competing reincarnations from the Central Tibetan Administration and the Chinese government. Just hope that he can pull off the reincarnate outside of Chinese controlled Tibet or things are going to start getting really complicated.
mfb
QUOTE (Slump)
You know, I always thought the point of reincarnation is that you don't get to choose. Even the supreme poobah shouldn't be able to say "nah, I don't want to reincarnate there."

yeah, the Dalai Lama definitely needs to be nerfed. way, way OP.
nezumi
I believe in the case of the Dalai Lama, the story is he has reached Nirvana and has the option of leaving the reincarnation cycle altogether, however he chooses to return to earth in order to lead others to enlightenment. Presumably, if he can choose whether he gets reincarnated or not, he can choose where.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012