Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Writers Guidelines
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
PlatonicPimp
I was just wondering, what are the submission guidelines, if I had a proposal I wanted to submit to catalyst games? I've been working on some things for my home game that I think are worth showing.
bishop186
Here's some info about them from the Shadowrun site:

http://www.shadowrun4.com/catalyst/writers...uidelines.shtml

From the site:

Do not begin to write until we ask you to. Never send us an unsolicited, complete or partially complete manuscript. The manuscript will be returned to you regardless of the legal permission or disclaimers you provide with it.

---

The Proposal

A full proposal runs in length from 5 to 7 pages and contains four parts:

1. A Detailed Outline. Use the Table of Contents in the latest Shadowrun book as a guide to creating your outline. The outline helps us to determine your ability to synthesize and organize your ideas.

Each outline entry should also explain what the content of that section will be. Please indicate clearly with a few sentences what material will be included in each section, do not just list the subject headers. An outline also allows us to see that you have thought your proposal through to the end.

2. A Written Summary. Use the summary to flesh out and highlight specific sections and special events in your outline. The summary should explain how the material ties into old plot lines and what new plots it will generate. This summary allows us to determine if you have a good understanding of your ideas and of the game universe. This also shows us your ability to write clearly and succinctly.

For fiction, the summary should also include details on what "voices" will be used-in other words, what the perspectives of the fictional authors will be.

3. Finally, the fun part. Sell us on your proposal. Tell us why your proposal is important to the game line. Explain the need it's filling, and the importance of filling that need. Assume that others are proposing the same thing and tell us why your version is better.

4. You should also include a Writing Sample of approximately 1,000-2,000 words. This can be an excerpt from writing you have previously done, or it can be a selected part of your proposal fleshed out. The sample does not have to relate to Shadowrun-it can be a story or article you wrote about something else. It should, however, be an appropriate example of your ability to write (science) fiction and/or game rules. Do not send lengthy samples, keep it to 2,000 words or less.

---

Mail it to Catalyst Game Labs at the following address:

Catalyst Game Labs
PMB 202
303 91st Ave NE, G-701
Lake Stevens, WA 98258

You may also submit your proposal via email, though we prefer hardcopy submissions.
PlatonicPimp
OK, so exactly the same as Fanpro before it.

Incidentally, I didn't realize a new website had gotten up. Yay!
DMFubar
What about fiction guidelines for the Shadowrun 4 website? I click on the links and get 404 errors. Does anyone have any idea what they may be?
Buster
Who cares about the writer proposal guidelines? The real news is that Shadowrun4.com is up! Where's the sticky post for that? Sheesh, 99% of all businesses fail because they fail to effectively market their businesses. Don't worry though, I'm saving up my pennies to be the next to buy the Shadowrun franchise after Catalyst goes down. biggrin.gif
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Buster)
The real news is that Shadowrun4.com is up! Where's the sticky post for that?

I learn this fact from a thread about writer guidelines? WTF!?
the_dunner
It's in the web site issues sticky on the second page, but I went ahead and edited the first post to add in that information. smile.gif
Fortune
I don't know about you, but I've been visiting Shadowrun4.com (not shadowrunrpg.com) since before GenCon started.
Demerzel
QUOTE (Buster)
Where's the sticky post for that?

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...25&#entry576137

To point you right to where the sticky post is. Thogh the_dunner's sollution to edit the first post is pretty good too. grinbig.gif
Buster
QUOTE (Demerzel)
QUOTE (Buster @ Aug 24 2007, 12:48 PM)
Where's the sticky post for that?

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...25&#entry576137

To point you right to where the sticky post is. Thogh the_dunner's sollution to edit the first post is pretty good too. grinbig.gif

Yeah 2nd page of a thread about shadowrunrpg.com site being down. No karma for you!

QUOTE (Fortune)
I don't know about you, but I've been visiting Shadowrun4.com (not shadowrunrpg.com) since before GenCon started.

Thanks for telling the rest of us about it! No karma for you!

Here's how you tell it to the masses:
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=18795

All your karma are belong to us!
Fortune
QUOTE (Buster)
QUOTE (Fortune)

Thanks for telling the rest of us about it! No karma for you!

You were told. I learned about it from this forum. It isn't our problem if you don't read every single post on Dumpshock. nyahnyah.gif smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012