Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Critical Strike
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Zhan Shi
I personaly think it should. I've emailed "The Man", Rob Boyle, but no response as yet. Any thoughts?
Eryk the Red
It adds to the DV of the attack. So it affects the DV of any unarmed attack or anything based on the DV. Knockdown, for example is based on the amount of damage dealt after damage resistance. Doesn't matter where the damage came from, just how much was actually suffered. Subdual is a little less clear, I think, though I'd be inclined to say you add Crit Strike to the DV of the damage you deal if you choose to damage the target.
Adarael
I'd second that reading. That's also because knockdown shouldn't be reflected in-game as "being pushed over by the attack", but rather the body folding up on itself due to shock trauma. If you shoot a man with a rifle, generally he will fall down. It's not that he's fallen because the bullet has pushed him over, but because his nerves went "Oh crap!" This is supported by the fact that knockdown is determined by damage dealt after resistance.

Having a bunch of ranks in Critical Strike adds a whole lot of "Oh crap!" when you hit people.
Zhan Shi
Blast. I just heard from Rob, and he says "No". I wanted to simulate an adept who was very proficient in grappling/throwing arts. Perhaps a new adept power, similar to critical strike and costing .25 per level, which would add to the adept's roll when attempting to subdue or knockdown.
Fortune
Hmmmmm. You might try sending him a link to this thread. It's has been known to work before on semi-controversial rulings.
Kyoto Kid
...there is a power that enhances Knockdown. It's called Inertia Strike (Street Magic p. 177), though it is rather expensive (.5 PP) for it's effect. It allows you to add half your strength (rounded down) to the damage for the purpose of knockdown.
Fortune
QUOTE (Zhan Shi)
I wanted to simulate an adept who was very proficient in grappling/throwing arts. Perhaps a new adept power, similar to critical strike and costing .25 per level, which would add to the adept's roll when attempting to subdue or knockdown.

Not quite what you are looking for, but you could add the Blast Elemental Effect to Killing Hands.
Zhan Shi
Now there's thought....

I'm into grappling martial arts. You know all those choppy socky flicks that have a hero instantly putting a villain into a hold from which he can't escape? Or being attacked by four assailants, and effortlessly throwing them around like rag dolls? That's what I was after. Someone who's really good at an art like Jujutsu, Aikido, or Chin-Na.
Glyph
You could house rule a new power called "crushing grip" or something, the equivalent of power throw or critical strike, although it should be pricier, since an increase of Strength in subdual combat increases damage on a 1:1 rather than a 1:2 basis.

Within the RAW, all you can do is improve your Strength (Strength boost: 1 can give a quick increase, but you are better off getting muscle augmentation bioware than taking the improved attribute power), improve your combat roll (muscle toner bioware, improved ability, and counterstrike - the latter seems to really fit the shootfighter mentality, too), and improve your own ability to escape holds (the flexibility power).
Zhan Shi
New Adept power: Iron Grip (.5 per level)

Each level of this power adds one to the adept's strength for purposes of subduing combat or attacking to knockdown
Zhan Shi
On second thought, it would probably be easier just to purchase levels in counterstrike, combined with improved reflexes...I'm guessing that's why the developers did'nt include such a power.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Zhan Shi @ Aug 24 2007, 09:05 PM)
New Adept power:  Iron Grip (.5 per level)

Each level of this power adds one to the adept's strength for purposes of subduing combat or attacking to knockdown

...this should be just for grappling as ther already is a power for enhancing knockdown (see Inertia Strike above). Combined with Attribute Boost - Strength it will achieve pretty much the same result and is totally in the rules.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012