Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Support Gun-Bunny Critique
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
klinktastic
Ok guys, this coming labor day I will be participating in a character generation session. I've already got a solid base of a ork social adept. But if I don't get to play the face, I am want to have a back up plan set. Here's what I've came up with.

Ork
Mundane

B: 7
A: 5 (7)
R: 5 (7)
S: 4
C: 2
I: 4
L: 2
W: 4

Edge: 4
Inititive: 11
Essense: .835

Qualities: Astral Sight
Addition, mild cram
allergy unc/mod
allergy unc/mild
gremlins 1
incompetent (gymnastics)

Cyberware:
Commlink (4/3)
-datalock encrypt 3
Cybereyes rating 3
-flare compensation
-image link
-lowlight vision
-protective covers
-smartlink
-thermographic vision
-vision enhancement (rating 3)
Wired Reflexes 2
Skillwires 3

Bioware:
Muscle toner 2
sleep regulator

Skills:
Perception 4
dodge: 4
inflitration: 4
running: 4
pistols: 4
automatics: 5
heavy weapons: 4

My plan is to use a ares alpha with grenade launcher to support the team.

My activesofts were going to be:
1. disguise
2. swimming
3. climbing
4. tracking
5. shadowing
6. demolitions
7. intimidation
8. unarmed
9. etiquette
10. data search
11. first aid
12. pilot ground craft

So what do you guys think? I've spent most of my time learning the in's and out's of the social aspects and how to make something that seems fun with that in mind. I really don't know much about fighter types so any info would be helpful. Additionally, I believe most of the players I will be playing with will not have much or any shadowrunning experience, so anything I take away from here will benefit them too.

Thanks, you guys are always a great help!

Jaid
i would hesitate to take incompetence in gymnastics, since that restricts you from ever getting the athletics skill group (which is one of those areas that goes hand-in-hand with the "street sam" type of character). if that doesn't bother you, of course, then go right ahead wink.gif

i would also tend to think of etiquette as being the social skill you want to have handy when you're surprised... negotiation or even con (which you don't have at all... i highly recommend being an exceptional liar as a shadowrunner) would be a better choice for an activesoft imo.

rather than buying a data search activesoft, consider buying a rating 3 agent and a browse program; cheaper, doesn't require your personal attention, and has other uses also (for example you can load your agent with analyse, which is never a bad idea imo). and speaking of commlinks, you don't appear to have an OS, if i'm not mistaken (you might want to do something about that wink.gif )

on a side note, is your GM houseruling astral sight? iirc, it works like any magic attribute; you lose it with your first point of essence (and you've already lost more than 5). and besides, you don't even have assensing.
Glyph
Jaid is right about astral sight, and it would be a bad idea even if your GM house ruled it. You need the astral combat skill to attack astral enemies, and even then, they will be able to nail you at long range if they are projecting mages or spirits with spellcasting ability. It makes your character too vulnerable. Radar or ultrasound are better bets if you only need it to see invisible things.

As far as the flaws - addictions and allergies are pretty commonly taken, but incompetence in gymnastics means you automatically fail whenever you try to jump. Gremlins: 1 means you are likelier to glitch every single time you fire a firearm. Both of them are too crippling, especially for a measly 5 points each.

Strength/2, rounded up, is the base for most melee damage. I would either lose a point of Body to gain a point of Strength, or lose a point of Strength to gain a point in a mental stat - Strength is most effective when it is an odd number.

Otherwise, a nice solid character.

Crusher Bob
Cybereyes already come with an image link. So no need to set aside capacity, or pay the 500Y. Even the cheapest set of eyes (at 500Y) Gets you an image link (500Y) and an eye recording system (2000Y). It's like being paid 2000Y to get the eyes cut out of your head! What kind of idiot doesn't get his eyeball MkIs cut out of his head at the earliest opportunity? love.gif

Also, I'm not too sure about the implanted commlink. It's not the greatest commlink ever, so when you finally want a good one, you'll have to have your head opened up. If you are going to get something put into your head, make it something worthwhile (see costs of improved commlinks on P240 and page 228) So a Response 5 (4000Y), Signal 5 (1000Y), Firewall 5 (2500Y), System 5 (2500Y) commlink put into your head (+2000Y) would be 12,000Y

I'd also think about adding the following ware:
Platelet factory (25,000Y)
Rating 2 Ears with (Damper, Select Sound 4, Audio Enhancement 3) (10,000Y)
Reaction Enhancers 2 (20,000Y)

The other two points of passive defense (upping your reaction to 9) and the auto soak from the platelet factories make you much more survivable.
Gort
Getting all those allergies and mild addictions leave a bad taste in my mouth, and the character's very one-dimensional. For goodness sake, all he does is shoot, sneak and see. I always like to put in some low-level skills (say, skill level 2) in things that will come in handy, like First Aid, Etiquette, Pilot Ground Vehicle and so on.

I probably wouldn't be massively happy if someone presented this character at one of my games, he's just too one-dimensional for my liking.
Synner667
QUOTE (Gort)
I probably wouldn't be massively happy if someone presented this character at one of my games, he's just too one-dimensional for my liking.

But isn't that point - he's a gun-bunny and isn't meant to be able to be able to do anything else.

Just my thruppence...
toturi
QUOTE (Gort)
Getting all those allergies and mild addictions leave a bad taste in my mouth, and the character's very one-dimensional. For goodness sake, all he does is shoot, sneak and see. I always like to put in some low-level skills (say, skill level 2) in things that will come in handy, like First Aid, Etiquette, Pilot Ground Vehicle and so on.

The allergies and addictions are par for the course for a street sam. At low levels, those skills you mentioned might as well be handled by the individual gears in question. For example, First Aid might as well be replaced by the First Aid kit. Pilot Ground Vehicle can be substituted for the vehicle's own. With the skillwires, he can be surprisingly versatile but he's got to pick the right ones.
Ed_209a
I would (did) take Firearms group at 4, and then take Heavy weapons(Grenade Launchers)at 2(4).

I like the Skillwires. I wish I had put them in my sammy at chargen.

I saw you didn't include your knowlege skills. That is a great way to flesh out a character. 5-10 points in tactically useless knowlege skills add a lot of depth. For example, My sammy has a sleep regulator too. Since he only sleeps 3 hours a night, he has to do something, so he has a few points in late night Trid.
Gort
QUOTE (Synner667)
QUOTE (Gort @ Aug 29 2007, 06:28 AM)

But isn't that point - he's a gun-bunny and isn't meant to be able to be able to do anything else.

Just my thruppence...

Just because it was intentional that he's one-dimensional doesn't make it good or interesting.
klinktastic
I do have skillwires with 12 other skills. I don't see how I am one dimensional. I can basically pack heat on any sensitive mission: stealth, meet and greet, etc.

I see your point about defense. Defense does win championships. I'll retool him out later and post him up.

I think I am going to incompentency blades and pretend my dude is scared as hell of them.

Thanks guys. Other analysis would be appreciated!

Edit: Forgot to add, that in the campaign, we will be constantly on the move. So I doubt there will be much time to upgrade 'ware. I need to maximize my potential there.
Whipstitch
QUOTE (Jaid)
i would hesitate to take incompetence in gymnastics, since that restricts you from ever getting the athletics skill group (which is one of those areas that goes hand-in-hand with the "street sam" type of character). if that doesn't bother you, of course, then go right ahead wink.gif

That, and one could make a strong argument that by the RAW, the man is virtually incapable of jumping or standing on one foot and touching his nose. Honestly, gymnastics covers a ridiculous number of situations, from leaps to breakfall to dodging to dancing to balance. I'd sooner take incompetent in Dodge than Gymnastics. Incidentally, I know from first hand experience that slipping in high ratings of Unarmed Combat and Gymnastics onto a character sheet along with Incompetent: Dodge (only out of morbid curiousity, I assure you!) is a GREAT way to get a rise out of your GM. He laughed, but I also suspect that if he could call in IRL bovine bombardments I wouldn't be sitting here typing right now.
Kerberos
You could drop you strenght one and buy Muscle Augment (2). Saves 7 Bp and gains you 1 strenght. Of cause you're begining to run low on Essence. You could of replace your Wired reflexes with synaptic boosters. That frees up a lot of essence and they're much harder to detects in scanners, but it does cost extra. Still the freed up essence would allow you to get a lot of extra bio-/cyberware
Dashifen
QUOTE (klinktastic @ Aug 29 2007, 08:36 AM)
Edit: Forgot to add, that in the campaign, we will be constantly on the move.  So I doubt there will be much time to upgrade 'ware.  I need to maximize my potential there.

A NOTE FOR KLINKTASTIC FROM HIS GM:

Actually, don't make that assumption. Ware is available all over the world and my intention is to have you all in a few shady spots where new ware (used and new) will be available. Especially since some of the travel time would result in mages initiating or hackers programming, and thusly extending their prowess, it's only fair that cyberized folk get to do the same.
klinktastic
Well thats good to hear. Additionally, if I took firearms group up to 3, could I then tack on a few points to increase autos?

Example

Firearms 3
-pistols 3
-longarms 3
-autos
Autos 2

Getting a total of 5?

Synaptic boosters are great, I want them, but they are expensive. I'll be cutting costs as is. I'd rather have +1 IPs than +1 IP for basically the same cost. Idk, I'll be retooling him tonite with the advise you guys have give me and I'll post him up in Support Gun-Bunny Critique part 2.
Jaid
on a side note, before you put in reaction boosters, check with Dashifen (your GM, i gather) on how he feels about the FAQ ruling on reaction boosters + wired reflexes. according to the FAQ, they don't stack. however, based on what i've seen from the boards, many GMs don't care what the FAQ says.
tyweise
Plus, wouldn't his augmented reaction be capped at 7 anyway? Until he raised his base reaction to 6, then it could go to 9. Or am I reading something wrong in the rules.
Jaid
QUOTE (tyweise)
Plus, wouldn't his augmented reaction be capped at 7 anyway? Until he raised his base reaction to 6, then it could go to 9. Or am I reading something wrong in the rules.

no, for some unexplained reason, only skills are capped to 1.5 * current natural.

attributes are capped to 1.5 * natural maximum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012