Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who's running where?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Donk
Me,

I'm going to be running in Cincinnati. I live here and my players are familiar with the area.

The campaign is going to be called "Queen City Blues".

I'm running my game concurrently with a friend who will also run in Cincinnati with a different player group.

We are talking about setting up a website for both groups to reference and to allow those outside the game to see what's going on and also (I hope!) to post what essentially would be our "Shadows of Cincinnati" rpg reference.

That's all from Donk for a bit....TTFN!
BishopMcQ
I'm currently running games based in Seattle, Denver and NYC.
imperialus
We're going back to Seattle for our next campaign but I've played games in London, LA, Hong Kong, and perhaps the most... interesting, Jerusalem.
Serbitar
Rhein-Ruhr-Megaplex
Kyoto Kid
...Started in London...

...Went to Vienna...

...currently somewhere in Croatia on the road to Zagreb.

[itinerary of the RiS team so far]

past campaigns included

...London (again)

...Kingdom of Hawai'i

...Portland TT

...oh, and Seattle.

A campaign in the works will include

...Kingdom of Hawai'i (again)

...Milwaukee

...LEO & Geostationary.

...Luna
jklst14
Currently, Philadelphia. Past games include the usual suspects (Seattle, Denver, Hong Kong).
Adarael
The major two for many games I've run:

Seattle
Pre-PCC Los Angeles

For my european spy vs spy type game:

Prague (Home Base)
Paris (2 PCs home town)
Rhine-Rhur (for Industrial Esponage)
Venice (for a James Bond segment)
Moscow (for some jobs)
Gelare
I only just started playing Shadowrun, but the games I ran were in Seattle, and I played in a game set in Denver. Moscow would be fun, though.
Zen Shooter01
Central Florida.
lunchbox311
Denver, because I live here.

biggrin.gif
Adarael
Here, because this subject interests me, here are some more cities that I've found are awesome to set games in. I haven't used them for full story arcs, but they're overflowing with possibility:

-Brussels. Central to freakin' everything, full of money, surrounded by warring power blocs and corporations. Plus, it rocks.
-Vienna. It's Vienna. It's just awesome.
-Novosibirsk. Got turned on to this idea by an old girlfriend who grew up there. It's where runners from Vladivostok go when they've run out of edge, out of money, and are willing to fight in back alleys for pocket cash. I play it up as the hellish end for all out-of-towners, and the Trans-Polar Alieuts that visit use them up and spit them out like so much disposable junk.
-Abuja. Capital of Nigeria, and last bastion of anything resembling order in central Africa. Past this point, it's all Bartertown, Mad Max, and guys with guns trying to kill eachother for gas, oil, diamonds, and spare parts.
-Baku. I don't know why, I just really love setting games in the southwestern ex-Soviet territories, and Azerbaijan is my favorite of them.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Adarael)
-Vienna. It's Vienna. It's just awesome.

...yeah the RiS team had a pretty interesting time in the city on the Danube. They even managed to break into the Musikverein (one of the most celebrated concert halls in all of Europe). I downloaded images of the building, it's interior and floor plans to show them where they were. They also ended up in the Sud, which was an area once used as a prison under the reign of former Prince Leopold.

Currently they are on their way to occupied Zagreb. This will be interesting.
JesterX
Seattle (UCAS)
Phoenix (Pueblo)
Denver (Hard to say ^_^)

And I have plan for them to go to Montreal (Quebec) or Portland/Eugene (TT)
Arix
In the last game I played in went went to:

Athens (we blew up the Parthenon)
Hong Kong (lovely fun with the Triad)
The Moon (weird genetic experiments for all!)
Aristotle
I'm thinking of basing my next campaign out of Baltimore. I've never lived there, but I've always lived close. That gives me a certain feeling of familiarity with it. I don't think it's been covered by any source books (am I wrong?), so I intend to pretty much do what I want with it. Right now I'm thinking heavy influences from criminal syndicates (sort of an organized crime version of a corp. enclave). I'm sure my campaign will travel a little. They usually do.

I'd post some material if I ever get 'round to writing anything.
toturi
Non-canon settings campaign - Hanoi, Chiang Mai, Bali, Singapore, Malacca.
AngelisStorm
The game I'm playing in is based out of Seattle (because we live here). On the old, super detailed map of Seattle, I looked up my road and I live a few hundred yards from the NAN. smile.gif But we're running in western North America, and we've had an adventure in Rome also so far.

The game I'm GMing is based out of New Orleans. I've looked around and haven't found very much source material on the area, so I'm working from my own ideas. That campaign is loosely connected to our Seattle one, and I've got a couple of non-awakened characters who have to deal with awakened wierdness. It's been pretty fun so far, since they can't just switch to astral perception or mana bolt stuff. They feel totally underdogs, and are having a great time getting by (sometimes by the skin of their teeth). I based it in New Orleans because I love the south, and it's centrally located near Mexico, the Caribean, and so on.

- Angel
Strobe
Sydney. We live here and it is nice to actually know where you are going.

-Strobe
DTFarstar
My players are about 2 sessions away from having a running gun/magic battle in the Louvre. I am so excited!

Chris
Draconis
QUOTE (DTFarstar)
My players are about 2 sessions away from having a running gun/magic battle in the Louvre. I am so excited!

Chris

Make sure to use plenty of grenades in the modern art section. biggrin.gif
kzt
QUOTE (AngelisStorm)
The game I'm GMing is based out of New Orleans. I've looked around and haven't found very much source material on the area, so I'm working from my own ideas.

Wow, that's not an issue I'd have expected to have someone come up with for New Orleans. I've had a hell of time getting much of a feel for Juarez, even though I've been there. If you can't speak Spanish it's hard to find much useful stuff that goes into any real depth.
Adarael
QUOTE (AngelisStorm)
The game I'm playing in is based out of Seattle (because we live here). On the old, super detailed map of Seattle, I looked up my road and I live a few hundred yards from the NAN. smile.gif But we're running in western North America, and we've had an adventure in Rome also so far.

According to the map and ratings, I'm either in a AAA zone or a AA zone. It depends on if 12th avenue is upper or lower Queen Anne hill.
Marwynn
We have two games based in Hong Kong and one in Toronto where we are (physically) at. It's hard to get Toronto to feel properly cyberpunkish, so the campaign is a bit slicker. "Hollywood North" and all that. It's about stars, drugs, more drugs, and the occasional piracy thing.

Hong Kong, however, is an amazing cyberpunk dystopia. Honestly, Runner Havens did an amazing job for HK. We're supplementing our gaming with real HK pictures that don't need doctoring to feel like it's in the heavily neon world of the future.

Plus that feng shui stuff adds a new dimension. I feel naughty for sneaking in someone's office and rearranging furniture, it's like the pranks you pulled in high school but for thousands of nuyen. My Face/Mage even faked a job interview just so he could subtly manipulate the office while he was there. A nudged plant with some bent leaves/branches, somewhat less than pure water fountains, etc.

Of course, they take it too seriously since they actually do channel magical forces.

You gotta try it. You don't know fun unless you've forced the downfall of small corporation for hacking a work-party's instructions for repainting the lines in the parking garage to funnel bad mojo.

We giggle like schoolgirls we do.
Adarael
Agreed. It was awesome to see Hong Kong get the kind of treatment it deserved.
Draconis
QUOTE (Adarael)
Agreed. It was awesome to see Hong Kong get the kind of treatment it deserved.

Our team is based out of HK, we have several businesses there. It's a fun place.
We tend to roam further afield lately though. Just finished a forced job in Boston. Turning part of suburbia into flaming wreckage was fun. Taking 8 phys with one hit was not.
Next stop is the Amazon for my little expedition.

AngelisStorm
*laughs* Sorry Kzt, I meant Shadowrun source material. *grin* I have plenty of RL material.

One thing I have a fun time doing, is I go to AAA and load up on area maps. Then I can mark them up to my hearts content (yeah unlimmited free maps!), and my players actually can see where their going. (Also fun for road races, so they can plot their own routes).

- Angel
Fortune
QUOTE (Strobe)
Sydney. We live here and it is nice to actually know where you are going.

Yeah, but you never invite me. smile.gif biggrin.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (AngelisStorm)
... I meant Shadowrun source material.

There are two old Shadowrun books you might find helpful for New Orleans ... Target: Smuggler's Havens and CyberPirates!.
nezumi
Currently in Seattle, but if I find a copy of NAGTNA I'll move it to Baltimore. I mean come on, a city with the nickname 'Mobtown' is made for Shadowrun. As opposed to Seattle, "The Emerald City" or "City of Dreams". I mentioned I'm moving to Charm City and someone who actually lives in Washington (state) said it sounds like a place where you pop down to Starbuck's for coffee while antiquing. Come on, we're just short of a murder a day here!

Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (AngelisStorm)
The game I'm playing in is based out of Seattle (because we live here).  On the old, super detailed map of Seattle, I looked up my road and I live a few hundred yards from the NAN.  smile.gif  But we're running in western North America, and we've had an adventure in Rome also so far.

- Angel

...according to the TT sourcebook I live in a AAA neighbourhood (Laurelhurst) which has a lot of old and very expensive houses and a very nice old park. In the campaign I set here. the park was the estate of one of my major NPCs.
Eryk the Red
We play out of Tacoma specifically. My game assumes that Tacoma is quite a bit bigger than it probably actually is, but I like the character of Tacoma (poverty-stricken, post-industrial city). And since we stick mostly to to Tacoma, dealing with organized crime, it's a bit more special to them when they have to venture out to such different places as Snohomish and Downtown Seattle (which they're not likely to do again soon, since last time it happened, one of them got thrown off of the Space Needle).
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (AngelisStorm)
The game I'm GMing is based out of New Orleans. I've looked around and haven't found very much source material on the area, so I'm working from my own ideas. - Angel

I've got a New Orleans game concerning the mafia going on as well. If you need game informatino, pick up Target:Smuggler Havens. Has a huge chapter on it.
Draconis
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
QUOTE (AngelisStorm @ Aug 29 2007, 09:17 PM)
The game I'm GMing is based out of New Orleans.  I've looked around and haven't found very much source material on the area, so I'm working from my own ideas.  - Angel

I've got a New Orleans game concerning the mafia going on as well. If you need game informatino, pick up Target:Smuggler Havens. Has a huge chapter on it.

New Orleans around in the 2070's? Wow, you are an optimist aren't you? wink.gif
Kyoto Kid
...it's still on the map.
Draconis
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)

Yes, I was joking. Well slightly. In our game "New Orleans" is actually Alexandria, LA. New Orleans is actually nicely under several feet of water. Alexandria was renamed after the exodus of people inland.

Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Draconis)
New Orleans is actually nicely under several feet of water. Alexandria was renamed after the exodus of people inland.

So they renamed Alexandria as New New Orleans, but that took too long to say so they shortened it to New Orleans? smile.gif
Draconis
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (Draconis @ Aug 30 2007, 12:39 PM)
New Orleans is actually nicely under several feet of water. Alexandria was renamed after the exodus of people inland.

So they renamed Alexandria as New New Orleans, but that took too long to say so they shortened it to New Orleans? smile.gif

Ya Neo was taken by Tokyo. wink.gif
Vic Faustus
Seattle for me. Always played in games set there, and now that I'm running I like to bring in old PCs as NPCs now and again.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Draconis)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Aug 30 2007, 05:25 PM)

Yes, I was joking. Well slightly. In our game "New Orleans" is actually Alexandria, LA. New Orleans is actually nicely under several feet of water. Alexandria was renamed after the exodus of people inland.

...I actually lived in NO for a while up on Napoleon just off of St Charles.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Marwynn)
Hong Kong, however, is an amazing cyberpunk dystopia. Honestly, Runner Havens did an amazing job for HK.

Glad you like it!

When I get a spare moment, one thing I have planned to work on is doing up a Google Earth overlay for Hong Kong that maps out all the locales in Runner Havens. I know where they all are, so it's just a matter of sitting down and putting the pushpins in Google Earth.

I figure that might be handy for groups that use the Hong Kong Runner Havens material.
Draconis
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Aug 30 2007, 12:05 AM)
Hong Kong, however, is an amazing cyberpunk dystopia. Honestly, Runner Havens did an amazing job for HK.

Glad you like it!

When I get a spare moment, one thing I have planned to work on is doing up a Google Earth overlay for Hong Kong that maps out all the locales in Runner Havens. I know where they all are, so it's just a matter of sitting down and putting the pushpins in Google Earth.

I figure that might be handy for groups that use the Hong Kong Runner Havens material.

Ah Google Earth. Greatest program ever. I play with it like a cat does with string.

Sounds cool, so I can find noodleboy on the streets?

Our rigger just bought sunshine island for a vehicle facility after I google unearthed it.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Draconis)

Noodleboy is on the corner of Portland Street and Changsha Street in Yau Tsim Mong.

I have a good print map here, but this online map will do the trick for finding where that is. Just use the Street search category on the left and enter Portland Street or Changsha Street.
Draconis
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
QUOTE (Draconis @ Aug 30 2007, 05:43 PM)

Noodleboy is on the corner of Portland Street and Changsha Street in Yau Tsim Mong.

I have a good print map here, but this online map will do the trick for finding where that is. Just use the Street search category on the left and enter Portland Street or Changsha Street.

"Map Data not find!" It seriously just told me that. That just made my day. smile.gif

Great now I'm distracted by Ko's house.
Demonseed Elite
Haha, yeah, that pop-up will come up when you click certain things on the map. But it should be able to find the street!

EDIT: Oh hey, Google Maps has Hong Kong now. Here you go!!
Draconis
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Haha, yeah, that pop-up will come up when you click certain things on the map. But it should be able to find the street!

EDIT: Oh hey, Google Maps has Hong Kong now. Here you go!!

Ah much better "Map Data Find!". Hmmm he's apparently a big green arrow.

Thanks. Knowing is half the battle and all.
Demonseed Elite
Until I get that Google Earth overlay done, you can find the street addresses of the Hong Kong Runner Havens locales here.
TheMadDutchman
I'm preparing a campaign for San Juan, Puerto Rico.

It's actually based more on the twisted version of San Juan that HST describes in the Rum Diary. That book made an impact on me.
adamu
The game I'm running right now started in Washington DC, New York, Boston, London, Belfast, and Seattle. But now everything's converged on Seattle. I used to live there, plus it's the location of the best location support book ever put out for SR (way back in 1990).

(Though in my humble opinion, Denver and Bug City were quite good as well.)
Kyoto Kid
...loved Bug City, my players hated it. in RL I used to live in Milwaukee and made numerous trips to Chicago so the basic setting is very familiar ground for me.
adamu
Yeah -

Bug City -

Tom Dowd (all honor to his name) -

I still rank first Seattle book number one for all-round, all-the-time usefulness and wealth of detail, but for a single campaign, Bug City stands as a masterpiece. A couple of us had our ongoing characters load up on medical supplies and just HALOed in, set ourselves up for some general do-gooding, and of course were soon swept up in the various political intrigues among the factions - fighting bugs all the while. My brother ran a GREAT campaign there.

I think I'm tearing up a little. <<sniffle>>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012