Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rapture
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
D-Franco83
I was playing Bioshock and I started to wonder what it would be like for an SR4 Setting.

The security camera and turrets could easily be taken care of by a technomancer, and Rigger. The only problem would be that there would be no wireless so it would be Retro (60's) era technology.

The only problem would be that well it would be a little over a century later for shadowrunner to stumble onto it and the whole plasmid would be unbalancing powers for players since technically they change the genetic code of its user. I could only imagine a Street Sam trying to get his hands on an incenerate or winter blast plasmid.

However, I still think it would be fun to be in that setting. any thoughts?
Lindt
Heh, sounds like an Arc-esk run to me.
Backgammon
I'd replace plasmid with a designer drug that boosts stats, but makes you crazy. Something like a short-lived HMHVV strain that makes you much stronger temporarely, so you need constant doses, and is HIGHLY addictive and totally wrecks your body.

The corp was working on R&D, but it somehow got out into the general arc population. In no time at all, the entire arc had broken down into a frenzy of 'gimme gimme gimme' as people would do anything to gett heir hands on the drugs. The parent corp lost contact, and is sending in the runners to investigate. They find the underwater arc overrun with insane, super powerful, deformed junkies. The submarine they used to get to Rapture gets destroyed by an attack from a Kraken or other humongeous underwater beast, and the team must now complete objectives, investigate, stay alive, and escape.

Kagetenshi
You mean like Kamikaze? wink.gif

~J
D-Franco83
well if anything maybe just maybe a plasmid is basically the ultimate loot in rapture. I would figure after a century, that most of it would be consumed and maybe it would be stashed somehwhere that is hard to find or its like a wild goose chase to find it. i would think that most of the items would be antique's and what not.

Herald of Verjigorm
If you want to be mean, come up with conflicts between the plasmids and cyberware/bioware.

"Sure you can shoot bolts of lighting from your nose, but it also has fried all your cyber, so your shiney new cybereyes are just getting snow."

Then make the stuff act like a brutal infection to the awakened, so they can't adjust and have to fight off whatever potential cool power they should be getting.

All this so the unaugmented mundanes can use the stuff with only minor drawbacks.
D-Franco83
I was thinking that, but than it came to mind when I realized the only way you can get the plasmid is to shoot it in your arm since its in a huge syringe.

Now a runner dumb enough to see a glowing syringe and immediately inject himself with it, should have whatever negative effects that occurs. So more than likely any decent team who would find it, would immedately secure it and find somewhere to examine it...or whoever has the addiction flaw will have a fun time with it.

Backgammon
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Aug 30 2007, 04:51 PM)
You mean like Kamikaze? wink.gif

~J

I was thinking about Kamikaze, yeah. Hey, there are Awakened drug - you could have plasmids be Awakened substances that grant you various powers. While eating your soul, of course.

Ooh, you could make it like in Perdido Street Station and have this new drug actually be poop from some scary ass awakened critter. That eats your soul.
Kagetenshi
Well, I guess the question (since I will likely never play Bioshock, as it is part of Games for Windows) is, do you want it to be more powerful than Kamikaze? Simply have different effects? What do you want to achieve that Kamikaze doesn't already?

~J
Mr. Croup
Since this was first suggested as an SR4 setting, i'm surprised no one has thought of using modified and slightly better working versions of Genetic Infusions from Augmentation.

Remove maybe *some* of the down side and decrease duration. If that's what your after...
prionic6
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
All this so the unaugmented mundanes can use the stuff with only minor drawbacks.

That link always points to the newest comic smile.gif You mean that one:

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20070829
Herald of Verjigorm
Thanks, fixed now.
D-Franco83
I actually haven't read augmentations and honestly im going to wait since A) I don't have an SR group anymore and B) I would prefer to read it in print and not read it on a computer screen (It hurts my eyes and gives me headaches after awhile.)

I would only have a few of the plasmids that are in the game in mine. I more than likely wouldn't put too many pitfalls for the plasmids, but definately have side effects if the cybered characters try to inject themselves with plasmids. If its electricity, incinerate, and winter blast. It would affect their cyberwear accordingly. I would also treat the plasmids as spells so there would be drain as well as willpower being one of the main attributes that is needed.

Thanks for the input...

btw. is Augmentation a really good pick up?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012