Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Signal strength and health
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
apollo124
I was in the Navy for a number of years, and one of the things we had to do was to make sure all radiating electronic equipment was offline when we had to go up near the antennas. This was so we wouldn't microwave our stomachs while stringing up the Christmas lights.

I realize in SR (and real life) those would count as level 6 Naval grade sensors. But it did bring to mind a question...

People in SR now have implanted in their bodies, or carry around in their pockets, high powered transceivers. What effect does all that EM radiation have on them? Is there a higher rate of cancers around higher power fields? Since it is so close to them, literally inside, I would imagine that it would have detectable effects at lower power levels than what you would see in external transceivers. And how about technomancers? Their minds apparently generate a powerful EM field by themselves. Are they more or less resistant to the effects of living inside such power fields?

Maybe this is going to be covered in Unwired, I hope so. But this occurred to me and so I thought it might make an interesting topic.
l33tpenguin
This was my biggest beef against the whole 'wireless matrix' (besides missing the old days of having to track down a hard-line and tap into the matrix).

No matter how you cut it, to transmit the amount of information the matrix uses wirelessly you are going to be generating some massive signals. I'm serving in the AF right now and have also seen first hand the effects a transceiver can cause. I worked in one building where there was an almost perfect circle of in the tree line next to the building where everything was dead. I've heard stories of birds dropping dead mid flight from flying in front of them when the signal was turned up some.

And somehow we are to believe that our commlinks can transfer terabytes of information wireless without setting things on fire?

edit: Please note, however, I simply accept this new form of internet, as implausible as it is. I miss the old wired matrix, but play in the new one... although, ironically, Ive yet to make a dec..er hacker, in 4th... Wireless matrix working is just like magic working or people being trolls.
prionic6
Not everything is implausible just because we don't know how to do it, yet. And with UWB is certainly possible to do very impressive high datarate transfers with a sufficient low signal strength:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-wideband

Of course it may have other unknown side-effects...

Also there could have been massive advances in data compression technology.
Blade
There's a time where you have to draw the line between realism and game.
What good would it make to add rules for dealing with cancers due to EM fields?
The wireless Matrix can add a lot of fun to the game, and issues such as this one or the ability to connect to the other side of the world without any lag aren't, in my opinion, that critical.

Knowledge of EM effects on human beings isn't intuitive. So stating that there's no such problem in Shadowrun's world is ok: you accept it, and have fun with the consequences (a wireless Matrix for example).

On the other hand, if you don't like the wireless Matrix and prefer a wired network, you can use this argument to say "the Matrix is still wired because wireless is bad for health."

Fun first, realism second. (the line being where the lack of realism removes the fun from the game)
Ryu
I do indeed have that problem with radar sensor cyberware. A very good friend of my father has likely contracted leukemia when he was in the military three decades ago - and he only served on the airport, not on the radar station itself.

Nevertheless the wireless matrix will not cause such problems, as increasing processor power enables compression technologies far beyond anything we can imagine now. Just think about the potential of non-binary systems.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Ryu)
I do indeed have that problem with radar sensor cyberware.

I agree that the incredible increase in Wi/Fi might be harmful but one have to think about something else as well:

Who would use rating 6 signal headware? Well, most likely runners or special operatives or people travelling around in the wilderness without a satellite uplink. As most stock items don’t carry stronger than rating 3 most people have a signal of 1-3, and that’s a signal prone to jamming and degration.

Also, the radar sensor is a rating 3 which I would assume is no more powerful than a cellphone.

Third, medical science would most likely cover any radiation damages or similar things in the lifestyle package.
Odsh
Also there could have been massive advances in data compression technology.

There is an upper limit to data compression rate (Shannon Entropy) that cannot be further improved without loosing information about the compressed data.
Even the technology of 2070 can't do anything about that.
Demonseed Elite
Shannon Entropy is mostly critical in lossless compression. Most compression is not lossless and wireless ASIST compression is not lossless either.
Blade
Shannon Entropy is the limit for bit encoding, but there's a lot you can get before that, even with lossless compression.
Moon-Hawk
Nerve Attenuation Syndrome: The Black Shakes. biggrin.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Aug 31 2007, 09:37 AM)
Nerve Attenuation Syndrome:  The Black Shakes.  biggrin.gif

...new NQ?
Odsh
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Shannon Entropy is mostly critical in lossless compression. Most compression is not lossless and wireless ASIST compression is not lossless either.

That's true, but lossy data compression is only viable when the differences are minor and (nearly) unnoticeable. Past a certain point you cannot afford to "loose" anything anymore without degrading the quality of the signal.

My point is that there is always a theoretical limit to data compression, and that I therefore don't think that 2070's technology will allow compression rates that would reduce the signal strengths enough to avoid the risks of having an implanted device.
Kerris
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Nerve Attenuation Syndrome: The Black Shakes. biggrin.gif

AIPS? I don't remember what it stands for (Artifically Induced Psycho(something) Syndrome)
Buster
The Corporate Court has ruled that there is no compelling evidence that commlinks or wireless communications of any kind cause cancer. Anyone who suggests otherwise is a terrorist. Move along citizen.
Moon-Hawk
Yeah, cancer would be bad if your health insurance didn't cover a quick shot of cancer-killer-nanites. You do have health insurance, don't you citizen? I'd better check your SIN.

wink.gif
Kyoto Kid
...all the more reason to have a Docwagon™ or CareLine™ (UK) policy for they also provide routine medical services as well.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Odsh)
That's true, but lossy data compression is only viable when the differences are minor and (nearly) unnoticeable. Past a certain point you cannot afford to "loose" anything anymore without degrading the quality of the signal.

My point is that there is always a theoretical limit to data compression, and that I therefore don't think that 2070's technology will allow compression rates that would reduce the signal strengths enough to avoid the risks of having an implanted device.

Well, yes, but a degraded signal has a certain range before it becomes unusable. For instance, all the MP3s people load into their iPods have lost considerable data in the compression to MP3, which is not a lossless compression. But they aren't unusable.

Also, you can do post-processing on a compressed signal in order to "make up" for the lost data by manipulating the data you have. You're not actually getting back the lost data, but you're faking it to make it seem like you are by adding data to the output.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012