Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making a Social Infilitrator
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cthulhudreams
I was trying to make a brilliant social infiltrator character who could successfully slip past any sort of screen disguised as someone else sort of genetic testing -a and can rapidly change up between people.

Physical Appearance is easy - mimic fronts and high skill levels with tailored pheromones give you 50% larger skill pools.

Voice is easy. Same trick with the bioware voice imitation system from augmentation, gives you Con + Charisma vs voice locks so you have a much bigger skill pool, and you can fool most people too.

Genewipe gets you past most gatacia style bollocks unless they do a direct test (in which case you are boned whatever you do)

However, I'm stumped when we get to retinal scans and handprint scanners, and cyberware scanners.

Beating retinal scans takes cybereyes and the retinal imitation device that only gives you rating vs rating - a 50/50 chance.

The handprint scanner you can use the nanoware device in augementation that gives you a similar 50/50 chance to win.

Is there any better way than 50/50 + edge?
Adarael
Cyberware scanners: stick to high-grade ware, bioware, or hack the scanner. Jamming could theoretically work as well, but would be much more noticable. This is a very, very difficult one to overcome.

Retinal scanner and handprint scanners, yeah... that's a tough one. You're basically hosed with those, but given the gross level of social skills, it wouldn't be that hard to basically keep a guy talking until he unlocked stuff for you and you just waltzed in with him while still talking.
Fortune
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams @ Sep 10 2007, 12:04 PM)
However, I'm stumped when we get to retinal scans and handprint scanners...

Check out the Retinal Adjuster Nanoware in Augmentation. Then check out Altskin in the same book (same section in fact).
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 9 2007, 09:29 PM)
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams @ Sep 10 2007, 12:04 PM)
However, I'm stumped when we get to retinal scans and handprint scanners...

Check out the Retinal Adjuster Nanoware in Augmentation. Then check out Altskin in the same book (same section in fact).

Alas, Retinal adjuster is still rating vs rating, as is altskin with newprint capabilities.

I guess there isn't a way to get better than a 50/50 chance without edge on those two capabilities.

The reason why mimic front and vocal range enhancer are fantastic is they allow you to roll Stat + Skill against device rating, doubling your dice pool vs the dice pool of the machine. I was kinda looking for something similar for eyes and prints - but I guess there isn't one making them the secure access methods of choice.
Rotbart van Dainig
Actually, Vocal Range Enhancement is Stat + Skill - Penalties against 2x Rating.

The illegal secondary pattern mod to the legal cyber implant is still better, as is the illegal retinal duplication for legal cybereyes - those mods register only after excess hits.
Buster
Physical Mask spell gives you Magic + Spellcasting (+2 if specialized in Illusion, another +2 if Mentor has Illusion) vs the device ratings for everything (voice, handprint, retinal, pheromone, etc).
Adarael
Well, son of a bitch.
I've been playing the 'team mage' for years, and every single character I've made has had Physical Mask... and I never even thought of that.

Jesus, I've been trained to just go, "Oh, the electronics monkey will handle it."
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Buster @ Sep 11 2007, 11:01 AM)
Physical Mask spell gives you Magic + Spellcasting (+2 if specialized in Illusion, another +2 if Mentor has Illusion) vs the device ratings for everything (voice, handprint, retinal, pheromone, etc).

@Buster
Where did you see that for fooling voice, handprint, retinal etc?

What I mean is do you mean that using the Physical Mask spell could get one past a voice print lock, or a handprint lock or retinal scanner lock.

I know it changes all of that for the caster, so such devices would not recognize the caster as who he really is.

WMS
Buster
If the GM says the cyber versions of the retinal/hand/pheromone/voice spoofer need an sample from an authorized person to even attempt the spoof, then the Physical Mask spell would too (and vice versa).

If you don't have the correct sample, then you're left with summoning a possession spirit into the lock, zapping it with Powerbolt or Shape <material>, or hotwiring the lock the old fashioned way (with explosives biggrin.gif ).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012