Emperor Tippy
QUOTE (SR4 Core Rules pg. 318)
As a safety precaution, sim mods override your motor
functions while you are fully immersed in VR/simsense, so
that you don’t blindly thrash around in the real world and
potentially injure yourself or break things. This means that
your physical body is limp while you’re online, as if you were
sleeping. This reticular activation system (RAS) override
can also be disabled with a Hardware + Logic (5, 1 hour)
Extended Test, at the user’s own risk.

If you hack a persons comlink and they have a SimSense module can you engage the RAS override without putting them into VR?

Seems like fairly good way to paralyze someone.

Oh, and can you dump a person into VR if you hack their comlink/SimSense Module?
Demonseed Elite
If you hack a persons comlink and they have a SimSense module can you engage the RAS override without putting them into VR?

No, not without hardware modification requiring a test similar to the test to disable RAS Override on a sim module.

Oh, and can you dump a person into VR if you hack their comlink/SimSense Module?

I believe so, though it's a Free Action for them to switch it back.
Emperor Tippy
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)

No, not without hardware modification requiring a test similar to the test to disable RAS Override on a sim module.

I believe so, though it's a Free Action for them to switch it back.

Why? Your tricking the software into thinking the person is in VR when they aren't. The Software then tells the RAS override hardware to kick in.
WearzManySkins
@Emporer Tippy
Check out the Thread "I will blackhamer your mama" it covers most of what you have brought up and may bring up.

WMS
Emperor Tippy
Yes but that thread is 17 pages. biggrin.gif
WearzManySkins
@Emporer Tippy
Yes that is is, if anything it is very in depth and with lots of points of view. biggrin.gif

Try and shift thru it, many answers are in there.

WMS
kzt
We only discussed going into hot sim. As a standard unit can do cold sim it should be possible to flip it into cold sim which engages the RAS override. This could be a pretty clever trick. I'd agree that engaging RAS override without VR would require hardware changes to their commlink. But if you did that they can't turn it off, unless you left that feature on for some crazy reason. I'd also have it block them from using the communications features of the commlink, as it would seem like a pity to have your immobilized kidnap victim call for help after all that effort.

Yet another reason to not let anyone borrow your commlink.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Emperor Tippy @ Sep 23 2007, 12:26 PM)
Why? Your tricking the software into thinking the person is in VR when they aren't. The Software then tells the RAS override hardware to kick in.

Because of the Extended Hardware Test involved in disabling RAS Override, it appears that RAS Override is handled through ROM firmware, which is unalterable. This is probably because it is a safety feature, it requires no input from outside the physical device to activate/deactivate, and because the software doesn't change often. It may even involve physical switches, breaks, or jumpers.

Since there's probably a dedicated circuit between it and the access mode control, it'd be pretty difficult to convince it you are in one mode when you're actually in another.

EDIT: You can kind of think of it like the region code controls in a video game console, which often require hardware modchips to hack around because the consoles store those controls in unalterable ROM memory. If region codes changed often, they'd be pretty screwed, since there's no way to alter that code aside from replacing a chip. But fortunately for the video game console makers, they don't change often.
Cthulhudreams
But can I just actually engage cold VR, which will then engage the RAS override anyway?
Emperor Tippy
You should be able too. Just remember to lock them in it if you have time. Otherwise watch them fall over from full body paralysis and them try to get up on their next turn (you shoot them before that happens though).

Oh, an added benefit of dumping them straight into VR is if you are kidnapping a person. They don't experience any of their meat body senses.c Just keep them from calling for help (should be relatively easy for a hacker).

Oh and unlike the various knock out drugs this won't activate their biomonitor. So DocWagon won't show up to extract the min under 10 miniutes.
Nikoli
What if you immediately (via agent with held action) load and start up a VR world for the kidnap victem so they think they are moving around and acting normally?
Emperor Tippy
QUOTE (Nikoli)
What if you immediately (via agent with held action) load and start up a VR world for the kidnap victem so they think they are moving around and acting normally?

See my thread where I ask how intelligent and adaptive agents are. The thought has crossed my mind. But if agent's aren't intelligent or adaptive enough it might not work.

Nikoli
fine, 2 hackers working together then, or just on your next pass provided you have 1 more than the poor slitch you just cut off from the world.
Emperor Tippy
Yeah, I've though of using VR for interrogation's as well. Nothing like faking a call from one of his buddies asking questions about his work.

Or if you have a real sweet set up, creating a full virtual world for him to inhabit and watch him go through his day. Nothing like seeing the guy type in the access code to his office at work when he head in in the morning.

Or stage a kidnapping in VR and then have him be "rescued" by the HTRT for his corp. And they interrogate him for several days to find out what he could have told/did tell his kidnappers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012