Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pure DNI
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ideki
Just a couple of stupid questions.

First of all, does having pure DNI cost anything extra for you to be able to use it (as in, is it a special option that you have to buy with your deck)? Second, is there any reason why you wouldn't want to use pure DNI? Thanks.
Kagetenshi
I believe not using pure DNI protects you somewhat against the nastier effects of Black IC. Other than that, or if your Quickness is significantly higher than your Intelligence, there's no real reason to not use it.

~J
Dim Sum
If I'm playing a decker, I usually go with a pure DNI deck for two reasons only:

a) speed - running the Matrix in pure DNI mode gives you a better initiative
b) size of the deck - with pure DNI, you can cut out the keyboard and make your cyberdeck as small as, say, a double-CD case.

The DNI mode is an option you must specify and build in when buying or building the cyberdeck.

The only real "disadavantage" to using pure DNI is that your decker is exposed to lethal biofeedback if you're hit by IC as opposed to someone running cold who may get his deck trashed but his meatbod would survive any IC attack.
Ideki
Thanks!

By the way, I meant to put this in my original post but didn't, but out of curiosity, how do you figure the damage code for a Killjoy utility? I know the book says it is treated as non-lethal black IC, but the damage code for that is based on the host's security rating...
Tanka
So you start without the pure DNI and continue without until you get to be able to crack a tough system and its Ice. Then you move to pure DNI and slaughter. biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
I believe Killjoy is also based on the rating of the host, the principle being that you're using the host's processing power to send lethal or harmful but nonlethal biofeedback to the other user.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012