Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can car's drive themselves
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Emperor Tippy
So can a vehicle drive it's self? If it matters I have a rating 6 pilot and the following autosofts: Clearsight 6, Defense 6, Electronic Warfare 6, Maneuver (Suzuki Mirage) 6

Arashi
Autosofts only go up to rating 4, per page 321 of the mainbook... unless you have custom programmed them as allowed by your game's GM.

And yes, vehicles can and do drive themselves all the time - tales of the Gridguide managing traffic patterns, etc., have been in fluff since the beginning I believe.
Emperor Tippy
Yes, they are custom programs. I meant more independent of the GridGuide system.
Zhan Shi
"....with the voice of a man who does not exist." Hasselhoff forever!

As to the question, I suppose it could with the right program, a downloaded AI or maybe possesed by a spirit.
Cthulhudreams
Obviously it can - you can give a drone a 'command' and rely on it to manage itself to achieve the outcomes. So drive to 'gps coordinates' are something a car can understand an achieve.
Emperor Tippy
Good. That's what I thought. Does it get the benefit of being jacked in in VR? -1 Threshold to all vehicle tests.
AngelisStorm
Yes, of course they can. They have pilot programs and a sensor rating ( GridGuide aside).

(Would like to see about the VR part though. Never thought about it with regards to Pilot programs.)
WhiskeyMac
Only people receive the -1 Threshold bonus, it doesn't apply to drones.

Yeah, the bike can drive itself around. Easily, especially with that level of Pilot. eek.gif
Emperor Tippy
Thats what I thought. Just was making sure because the GM needs my character sheet tonight and I was debating whether or not to put points in the driving skill. My bike can drive better than I could even if I maxed points so those are a few BP to use on better things.
Fortune
The 6 BP needed for Pilot Ground Vehicle {Wheeled} are rarely regretted. The skill is just so useful, and is linked to your (usually high for a PC) Reaction, so doesn't need to be too high to be effective.
MaxHunter
also, pilot programs can't use edge. You better want to have edge available if you ever fail a crash test. Get the skill.

Cheers,

Max

Buster
Or you can let the Pilot bot drive the car so you can spend your time doing important stuff like shooting and casting spells so you won't make the crash test in the first place. Besides, you can still use edge even if you arent the one driving the car.
Fortune
You can let the Pilot bot drive whether you have the skill or not, but Pilot bots don't usually do all that well in dangerous situations or when the need requires fancy or evasive maneuvering. Also, not every vehicle has a decent Pilot, and you never know when you might need the skill.
Buster
But as the OP already noticed, the Pilot's skill dice pool is already higher than his maxed out dice pool. So the Pilot definitely is a better driver than a human.

Of course, a humanoid driver can add Edge to his driving skill a couple times a day, but he can always burn Edge to save himself from catastrophe even if he isn't the driver.

You're better off paying the few thousand nuyen for a good Pilot bot and spending all the BP you saved on something more useful. It comes down to priorities.
Fortune
QUOTE (Buster @ Sep 25 2007, 11:50 PM)
But as the OP already noticed, the Pilot's skill dice pool is already higher than his maxed out dice pool.

Yeah, that kind of thing tends to happen when you discard or pervert the rules at will.
Buster
Huh?
James McMurray
I believe he's talking about the rating 6 custom softs.
Emperor Tippy
Even at rating 4 softs it would still drive better than me maxing the skill. 4+2 (specialization)+3 from attribute. I would roll 9 dice and the pilot would roll 10.
Buster
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I believe he's talking about the rating 6 custom softs.

Ah.
Buster
QUOTE (Emperor Tippy)
Even at rating 4 softs it would still drive better than me maxing the skill. 4+2 (specialization)+3 from attribute. I would roll 9 dice and the pilot would roll 10.

That's awesome. Plus for a little more money you've got a perception master, electronic warfare expert, and crack shot gunner.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012