Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Civilian T-birds
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
sapphire_wyvern
Are there any canon civilian thunderbirds/panzers? If not, and you've come up with some, please share with the rest of us. smile.gif

I'd also like to hear from any game writers if there any reasons for the apparent complete lack of civilian t-birds. It seems to me that if there is a class of vehicle used only by the military, using it for smuggling as is often mentioned would be a rather bad, if not suicidal, idea. Any comments?
thunderchild
well ive often thought that t-birds can be equated to helicopters of today.... usualy in military/company hands.
Lantzer
I've liked the idea of civilian AirLimos and the like. I like the idea of a crowded sky in a cyber-punk game: VTs, Rotorcraft, and BLIMPS! Any flying vehicle'd cost more than a grounder, of course, but that's why they're high-status.
TinkerGnome
The honor of being the executive air taxi seems to fall to the tilt wing aircraft like the Ares TR-55 and the F-B Commuter and rotor wing craft like the Hughes Airstar. The tilt wings being reasonably priced (300-400k), they're probably very common.
grendel
Thunderbirds have higher maintenance and operating costs than more conventional helicopters and tilt-rotors, something that would make them less than desirable in the civilian transport market. Their only real advantage is speed, which, as proved by the Concorde, isn't enough to make them more than a novelty for the very rich. In one of the previous T-bird discussions on this board there was a suggestion that civilian T-birds, if any, would fall into the realm of long distance, high speed racing. A kind of a 1000 kph rally race.
Doc Sportscar
I once created stats for an ex-military T-bird that had been sold on the civillian market, similar to how old MiGs and other East Bloc jets are sometimes sold to the civillian market in the present day. It was a bit slower and less manueverable than the current ones in Rigger 3 (obsolete model) and had its milspec sensors and weapons removed, but it was still armored and could be had legally for the "collectors and airshow market". My primary motivation was that I could then turn around and make stats for what happened when one of those "collectors" turned out to be a smuggler, and requipped it with sensors, weapons, and similar gear from the shadows.

I'll see if I can dig out the stats and post them.
Laughlyn
You can start a character off with a LAV if you set it up right. You simply buy a nice LAV with decent handling, speed, accel, lots of extra cf, max out load. Then buy, but don't install the other niceties. If you or someone on the team is doing the labor it makes it cheaper. On the down side you need to either limit what you buy or buy it with the "used" modifier or hope the GM isn't like me.

There probably isn't a real use for LAV in a truly civilian market, but this is Shadowrun. Being faster, tougher, and one of the few with your skills makes you marketable. Failing the legit life you can also opt to try the T-Birds routes (granted the above LAV wouldn't work too well for that).
Kanada Ten
Laughlyn wrote:
There probably isn't a real use for LAV in a truly civilian market, but this is Shadowrun.  Being faster, tougher, and one of the few with your skills makes you marketable.

I'll agree here. I have a fire fighting company that use "a" t-bird for ariel dumps and as super fast response to remote locations, mostly in the NAN and UCAWest. No armor, light sensors, and nice load for the duty. But they have to use super foam most of the time... water is just so freaking heavy. They bought it mostly for marketing; the only advantage is the lack of maneuverability problems from fire updraft.

Vamoosh! Fighting Fires at the Speed of Sound!
Daishi
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
They bought it mostly for marketing; the only advantage is the lack of maneuverability problems from fire updraft.

If they were feeling particularily ballsy, they might actually be able to blow fires out using the downwash... biggrin.gif
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Daishi)
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Aug 19 2003, 10:38 PM)
They bought it mostly for marketing; the only advantage is the lack of maneuverability problems from fire updraft.

If they were feeling particularily ballsy, they might actually be able to blow fires out using the downwash... biggrin.gif

Ahhh... so you've seen the commercials.

I would love to see some small drone vector trusts turned into motorcycles and sport cars. Talk about concept vehicles. Maybe I'll work one up.
Fygg Nuuton
been done! cept you need a mr. fusion to power it!

everyone should know this one
Laughlyn
You can also use them for a flight pack or jump jet on armor too. Provided your load rating is high enough.
D.o.d.d.
Eh. Why not. Gives me something to do on my day off. I've turned walker drones into one of the Mini tanks from Ghost in the Shell the Manga, and even managed the tank from the Movie. A 'Hover car' (albeit a small one) shouldn't be too hard.

I just have to fidget with it a bit. I'll post stats and info tomorrow in a new line, Kanada Ten.

As far as Thunderbirds, I must agree with Laughlyn that outside of the military and smuggling markets, other things can simply do exactly what they do cheaper and more reliably. There just is no market for a civilian T-Bird.
TheScamp
As far as Thunderbirds, I must agree with Laughlyn that outside of the military and smuggling markets, other things can simply do exactly what they do cheaper and more reliably.

In response to that, I show you the Hummer H2 Limo.
Laughlyn
Nice one. I'm sure there's a market for LAV limo out there somewhere.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012