Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ultrasound Sensor
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Emperor Tippy
The Ultrasound Sensor is described under Vision Enhancments (page 324 core book) and can be put on contacts. The Cyberware entry even says to see page 324 for a description.

So was it supposed to be able to go on cybereyes and it just got misplaced? Or is there some other reason yo ucan cram it on contacts and not in cybereyes.
Glyph
Pro side:
One of the archetypes, the Bounty Hunter, has it in his cybereyes. (Considering how messed up the archetypes are, though, that's hardly conclusive proof). biggrin.gif

It was available as an eye augmentation in SR3.

And like you said... you can get it in contacts.

Con side:
It is listed with headware, rather than with cybereye modifications.

The capacity rating seems a bit low for a cybereye mod (rather than headware or in a cyberlimb) - less than that of a smartlink.

As for why it got "misplaced" - if it it capable of being put in a cybereye - it may be because it can be installed in more than a cybereye. You can get it as headware or put it in a cyberlimb, as well.
Fortune
The Radar Sensor from Augmentation is also Headware, so I'm guessing it wasn't a mistake.
Emperor Tippy
Then WTH can it go on contacts?
Fortune
Magic. wink.gif
Prime Mover
QUOTE (Emperor Tippy @ Sep 25 2007, 09:46 PM)
Then WTH can it go on contacts?

Not only can it go on contacts, it can go on them much cheaper. ???

I just cant imagine shrinking the tech that small for less then it costs to implant a full sized sensor.
Cthulhudreams
It's completely stupid, and it's probably entirely reasonable to make it work as a eye or ear mod along with radar sense, MAD, and cyberware scanners.

The item in the book (laser mic) that has gone from sensor to eyeware went from 1-> 3 capacity at the same time, so you could copy that.

I doubt it would break anything and is a pretty reasonable thing to do, but yeah, as fortune points out it is a house rule.
Buster
If MAD, millimeterwave radar, full radar, and ultrasound sensors can all go on a microscopic RFID, they can go into a cybereye. The game designers just glitched.

I would say MAD, millimeter-wave radar, and ultrasound sensors would have the same capacity as thermo and full radar has the same capacity as an eye laser. I would also say that cybereye sensors should have the same prices as RFID sensors, but maybe that's just me.

Maybe in the errata (if they make those anymore) they'll save some space and list all the non-cyber and cyber prices and capacities for all sensors in one table.
Buster
Is anyone else kind of pissed off that we have to do so much of the game designers' work for the $100 we paid for the books?

Granted, Augmentation was a lot better quality than the previous books, so I have high hopes for the new company. But if they don't produce an errata or version 5 of the game soon, I'm going to start throwing my feces!
Prime Mover
I would completely understand if sensor and contact had different effects or ranges. But it's simply visual overlay for both.

What I've done in my game is allow implanted ultrasound sensor 360 degree passive effect and the contacts simply the visual overlay.

As for a MAD another personal example, player places active sensor in hidden pocket or cyber storage space and subscribes it. (maybe modular sensor hand along lines of Aug mod's?)
Buster
I wonder if the reason they left those sensors out of cybereyes is to make sure those kinds of sensors aren't "sight" for the purposes of targeting with spells?
Fortune
QUOTE (Buster)
I wonder if the reason they left those sensors out of cybereyes is to make sure those kinds of sensors aren't "sight" for the purposes of targeting with spells?

Even if that isn't the real reason, I like it very much, and am willing to accept it as legitimate. smile.gif
Tarantula
Whats to stop you from having cybereyes, buying RFID sensors of all those fancy things, and just sticking the RFIDs to the outside of the cybereye (but not obstructing the lense)? That'd work fine.
Buster
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Buster @ Sep 27 2007, 12:47 AM)

Even if that isn't the real reason, I like it very much, and am willing to accept it as legitimate. smile.gif

Of course, it seems strange that cybereye manufacturers would leave those sensors out of all cybereyes just to make mages feel bad.
Prime Mover
QUOTE (Buster @ Sep 26 2007, 10:29 AM)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 26 2007, 10:00 AM)
QUOTE (Buster @ Sep 27 2007, 12:47 AM)

Of course, it seems strange that cybereye manufacturers would leave those sensors out of all cybereyes just to make mages feel bad.

That can't be the case, mage can still use the Contacts. Overlays the vision not replace it.
Fortune
Electronic overlays still cannot be used for spellcasting purposes, they need to be optical for that. The problem is when you stick something in a cybereye, and pay essence for that eye, then some people may try to make a case that it can be used for that purpose, even though it shouldn't be a thing that is capable of being done.
Ol' Scratch
It's easier to just say that if it creates a completely new image (Ultrasound, Radar Sensors, standard Sensors, etc.) and/or requires an Image Link, it can't be used for spellcasting. Things like Low-Light and Thermographic simply enhance an image (brightening it up, seeing it through a different spectrum, etc.) and, being made "natural" via the Essence cost, allows it to be used for spellcasting.

It's not that difficult to judge which are and which aren't. The only times people really complain is when they want to be able to cast spells through walls or when blinded. And a big "fkku hor" to that.
Fortune
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
It's easier to just say that if it creates a completely new image (Ultrasound, Radar Sensors, standard Sensors, etc.) and/or requires an Image Link, it can't be used for spellcasting.

Right, and each one of those things has been specifically not listed as an eye modification, which to my way of thinking has some kind of nice pattern to it, almost as if it was done by design. smile.gif
Buster
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
It's easier to just say that if it creates a completely new image (Ultrasound, Radar Sensors, standard Sensors, etc.) and/or requires an Image Link, it can't be used for spellcasting. Things like Low-Light and Thermographic simply enhance an image (brightening it up, seeing it through a different spectrum, etc.) and, being made "natural" via the Essence cost, allows it to be used for spellcasting.

That makes the most sense to me, just say that only lowlight, thermo, and cyber vision mag work for spell targeting and everything else actually works through your image link even though it's mounted inside your cybereye.

Probably the simplest thing is to say all sensors are available to be mounted in a cybereye and they're all the same price as an RFID-sized sensor and they all have capacity 1. That makes the most sense and keeps the word count down to the minimum. Cyberpenised-up mess is what it is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012