Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gun as Fashion has begun!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JBlades
Found this little gem and wanted to share. I immediately thought of a corp exec trying to accessorize for a party in Shadowrun.
Zhan Shi
"Pink"? Bleh.

"Janey's got a gun...."
hobgoblin
hmm, makes me think of the old cp2020 standby, the polymer 1-shot smokin.gif
WhiskeyMac
Did any of you guys read the relevant posts? "Kevlar-lined clothing a hot commodity in London." If that isn't Shadowrun, what is?
blakkie
It looks like a high performance hair dryer. http://www.wikicover.com/Image:Pepper-proj...le-launcher.jpg An interesting pic to compare with the obvious SR version of gel cap shooting weapon. Notice the folding handgrip for extra concealment. smile.gif
Nasrudith
A elven social adept who can convince Lofwyr to give him the corporate budget? biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
hmm, ill love to see anyone manage to unpack that one fast enough for it to be useful while being rushed by some criminal...
Buster
I was thinking the same thing. That kind of transformer contraption kind of requires a lot of cooperation from the criminals. It's more for nuking drunken ex-boyfriends in the parking lot than fending off a real attack.
Nikoli
It's a paintball gun. Those rounds are already available here int eh states in p-ball calibers. saw Dog the Bounty hunter use basically the same system (fully auto though)
AbNo
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
Did any of you guys read the relevant posts? "Kevlar-lined clothing a hot commodity in London." If that isn't Shadowrun, what is?

Oh I did.

The article said they are being ordered for school-stabbings, for some reason...

That is, while not the dumbest thing I've heard, is certainly in the top ten percent.

Kevlar ≠ pointy bit protection.

[political]Then again, shootings (and stabbings) have been on the rise in London again. You know, 'cause of that handgun ban they've had for so long.
http://www.farminguk.com/index.asp?show=ne...Article&id=4309
[/political]
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (AbNo)
That is, while not the dumbest thing I've heard, is certainly in the top ten percent.

It's a lot better than nothing or leather, especially against common knives - not every school kid wants to wear aluminium plated chainmail.

(Cutting/stabbing restant gloves are made of either kevlar or chain mail)
Buster
I totally would! Chainmail is the new black: http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/generic/9080/
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Buster)
I totally would! Chainmail is the new black: http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/generic/9080/

Chainmail shirts are not cool, unless they're tank tops or bikinis.
nezumi
Related, a company is now selling bullet resistant backpacks in the US. I believe they're rated to NIJ II, so nothing great. Still, an interesting (albeit, probably misguided) shift in mentality. I wonder how long it'll be before people start taking the next step.
kzt
QUOTE (AbNo)

You can use kevlar to make armor suitable to stop knives. It's available and there are UK and US standards for testing.
AbNo
TYPICAL APPLICATIONS of kevlar.

Apologies for not being explicitly precise. sarcastic.gif
Ed_209a
QUOTE (nezumi)
Related, a company is now selling bullet resistant backpacks in the US. I believe they're rated to NIJ II, so nothing great.

Don't forget that NIJ takes both material penetration and panel deformation into account. A textbook or two would stop a lot of back panel deformation.

If the schoolbooks are included, I would not be surprised if it stops most common handgun calibers. (IIIa)
AbNo
A stack of magazines, duct tapped together will stop just about anything coming out of a handgun. At least, as far as FMJ rounds are concerned.

Which would mean it would easily stop HP rounds, as well.
ronin3338
QUOTE (Ed_209a)
If the schoolbooks are included, I would not be surprised if it stops most common handgun calibers. (IIIa)

True 'dat!

Books vs Guns
ronin3338
QUOTE (AbNo)
A stack of magazines, duct tapped together will stop just about anything coming out of a handgun. At least, as far as FMJ rounds are concerned.

Which would mean it would easily stop HP rounds, as well.

A stack? Maybe...

'Course, people generally don't have stacks of magazines on their body either.

Mags vs Guns

Nikoli
On the link you provided ronin, I'd like to point out thta I doubt people int he field carry their magazines ont heir chest for protection, but rather it's a large surface area to store a couple of extra magazines.

It might be to stop or slow down a knife though.
Ed_209a
Every little bit helps. if you have to carry it anyway, it might as well help keep you healthy. I have seen people carry entrenching tools (folding shovels) covering their backs for the same reason.

hobgoblin
i could have sworn i have seen mythbusters do something similar.

granted, it was probably a US civil war era weapon and a bible, not a stack of modern day books and weapon...
AbNo
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
i could have sworn i have seen mythbusters do something similar.

granted, it was probably a US civil war era weapon and a bible, not a stack of modern day books and weapon...

It was a speech, actually. I don't remember what they shot it with.

I think they did a pocketwatch as well.

And Ronin, I meant the paper kind of magazines. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012