Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking about a setting...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
CrystalBlue
Since I first got into Shadowrun as a setting, I've loved pretty much every bit of it. However, I've always thought of it, and the players, as kind of hopeless. And it's true. Though I won't get into my views of the world and how rundown it looks and feels, I would like some suggestions on how to keep the feel of Shadowrun but make it more...acceptable to players.

The reason I ask this is...most of my pool of players that I could get to play SR are into the shinning knight, happy endings type games. That, or Vampire LARP. and I'm not going to get into why I refuse to ask those people. *shivers* Suffice it to say, I need to make due with the players I have.

Is there any suggestions on how I should tailor my campaign to suit their needs/wants? I want to keep them as shadowrunners, but I don't want to give them a gloom or doom ultimatum of their lives.
Gelare
I think we're in a similar boat. Me and my friends did the whole knight in shining armor bit before switching to Shadowrun. One thing to note is the emphasis in Shadowrun on letting the GM do pretty much whatever the hell he wants to the game and setting to make it more fun for the players.

So, some suggestions, then. Find some runs that have the players doing "heroic" things. The first two runs my group did were Ping Time and Born to Die, found on the website of a fellow on these forums by the name of Aaron, at http://pavao.org/shadowrun/adventures. Both of these involve rescuing people, and assuming the players don't accidentally shoot their objectives in the head, they should have happy endings. The point is, there are plenty of heroic things shadowrunners can get paid for. And you can use this type of adventure as a way to sort of ease the players into the higher gloominess factor of the setting.

And watch out for those vampire larpers. wink.gif
eidolon
There's plenty of room in SR for more "heroic" runs, deeds, runners, etc. It's all about the type of job you give them.

I suggest going through character creation with them, and during that get a feel for what they want their characters to be/do. A lot of times, if you players are looking for a more "good guy" approach, it will show in the characters and their back stories. Things like "used to help protect his neighborhood" and "wants to clean up his old hometown" and so forth.

Then, just de-emphasize the less happy aspects of the game (for example, leave our bunraku parlors unless they're rescuing a worker or something) and emphasize the "doing good in the world" aspects and you should be fine.
kigmatzomat
Go for some of the older adventures. They aren't as well written but they have more options to be the good guy. Queen Euphoria and Universal Brotherhood are good because the baddies are so bad. Dream Chipper's a bit darker b/c it involves some harder choices but the PCs are still basically working to stop a psycho. Bottled Demon will let the party be on the side of good but there's some walking through drek.

Harlequin 1 requires too many morally ambiguous events to be a good match for the paladin types, without a lot of fudging. Not sure about "Harley's back." I vaguely remember DNA/DOA but I was playing a mentally deficient physad and had way too much fun roleplaying (which ironically the spell checker doesn't recognize as a word) so beyond making bunnies & squirrels out of plastique and punching through walls I don't remember much of the plot.
deek
While I wouldn't say my campaign is heroic, I don't through the standard downtrodden feel of SR onto my players. Yeah, the megacorps are evil, the law is out to get them and for most all of their runs, they are criminals and would be sent to jail for life, but...

Most of the people they kill are in self-defense or are pretty much malcontents anyways. The group is pretty loyal and honest to each other and their main contacts. I haven't given them any wetwork.

They pretty much play as mercenaries...they will take a job if the nuyen is right. I haven't really double-crossed them, although they have made plenty of enemies based on the objectives of their missions...honestly, the campaign feels like a futuristic version of the A-Team!

Granted, their missions haven't been to save or rescue anyone, although they did once rescue a contact that was kidnapped...but that was their own choice, not anything they were hired to do.

I really think you can keep the grit and dystopia of the SR world, but have the players be neutral to good, without having to be "do gooders". Like I said, with my campaign, the players have no problem killing and stealing during a mission, but the focus is more, getting the job done, then anything else.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
but I was playing a mentally deficient physad

…somehow that sounds strangely familiar.

Anyway, the current campaign I am currently running is definitely in the “Heroic� style. Basically the team has been hired to find a musical phenom who was abducted following a concert in Vienna. What compounds the issue is that it crosses international borders and involves a good deal of international intrigue.
mfb
basically, you make the good guys good and the bad guys bad, and you make it easy to tell the difference between one and the other. figure out the type of game you'd run in any other setting, and run that same type of game.
Moon-Hawk
Color-coded hats might help.
Cabral
QUOTE (mfb)
basically, you make the good guys good and the bad guys bad, and you make it easy to tell the difference between one and the other. figure out the type of game you'd run in any other setting, and run that same type of game.

Kinda makes me want to run a Dick Tracy SR Game ...
MaxHunter
...or they could all be something different to the classic mercenary type shadowrunners, like: docwagon workers, journalists, antiterrorist special police (GitS), ecoactivists, members of a freedom fighting group in an oppressed land (I suggest England), etc, etc.

Good luck!

Cheers

Max
swirler
SR doesnt have to be completely bleak. I mean I know it's supposed to be cyberpunk, but part of it is fantasy. You don't have quite as much entropy as in Bladerunner. You have some people trying to heal the earth. There has to be a little hope somewhere or else most people just give up. Okay alot do, but that's not my point wink.gif

here's a small series I ran back in SR2. I had a Johnson contact them and have the guy show up in a red tailored suit, white beard. Think "Boardroom Santa". He hires the team to rescue some missing children. They have been grabbed by organ leggers and are being kept for parts. Or something as sinister. place it as a hidden section in a warehouse. I had mine as a locked down upper floors in a a warehouse. I also made it obvious that this was a hidden project and not everyone connected with the location was aware of it so it's not like they should feel the need to "smear everyone". That of course doesnt stop some players with bloodlust, but maybe it might some. Having the Johnson offer up narcojects might help some. Of course he'd bring "toys"

rooftop helicopter access is probably a must for escaping. Unless you want to drag drugged children througha firefight
heh

okay so they scape and take them to the safehouse he has set up. He waves goodbye blah blah blah

now if you want to twist things up, have them discover (far too late, maybe days later) that he is actually a corp child wrangler for a group that specializes in pedophiles. If you have some particularly hard arse characters and that's not enough to make them work on going after the kids again, then remind them they can most likely now be connected with it. They will probably start seeing the percentage in fixing that situation.

yes I'm messed up

twirl.gif
Kyoto Kid
...not a bad little scenario. Mind if I borrow on that for my next holiday run?
swirler
please do
have fun
heh
yeah it'd be great for the holidays
raggedhalo
The intro to Harlequin's Back makes it explicitly about being heroic. And I kinda think that Bug City works as a setting for (low-level) heroism because it forces you to put the group before just yourself.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
but I was playing a mentally deficient physad

…somehow that sounds strangely familiar.

Gawd, I enjoyed seeing the elf samurai blanch when I stuck my hand through a hardened barrier. Woot 1st ed "Automatic Successes" power plus Killing Hands.

I'd been playing the party mage for many months and wanted some thinking-free fun. "Neil the Ork Barbarian" was my second character. He had a childlike intelligence in the body of a troll-strong orc physad (1st ed so he did not suck). He had a handful of tech skills (he'd learned to bypass computer security so he could watch DRMed "Neil" sims plus he liked the "boom" of explosives) but was otherwise all punch/shoot. And catch phrases. As a TV/trid junkie, half the things he said were quotes from shows or commercials.

Kyoto Kid
...sweet. In the Short One's (#21 woohoo finally legal) early days she was a huge fan of Neil the Orc Barbarian. When she was confused, I often would have her stop and think about the situation then ask herself "what would Neil do here?" Then she would act on her memory of a certain episode she recently saw that dealt with a similar situation.

Yeah sometimes "bricks" can be a lot of fun
Serial_Peacemaker
Well really a person as a runner can really do a lot of good in Shadowrun. Part of it is that a runner can easily do runs to support good work that they are doing. Also some of what the megas do is so terrible, that when you kill the entire facility you might very well have improved the world slightly. Also I know people complain about stun batons, and S&S ammo occasionally, but non-lethality is very viable. At which point you can easily justify your activities in a Robin Hood sense.
hyzmarca
Start them out as semi-legitimate entrepreneurs in the "freelance troubleshooting" industry. It's sort of like shadowrunning, but they have a union. And they're likely to benefit from the legal protections provided by the Corporate Interactions Act. They have an office, they advertise in the yellow pages, and they're much more likely to get legitimate jobs that don't require any sort of criminal activity.
Start out with some simple and obviously heroic runs, bodyguarding the innocent person, voluntary extractions, bug hunts, that sort of thing. Slowly introduce more and more of the darkside of SR as the storylines progress; give them criminal contacts; reveal to them some unpleasant realities; casually integrade stuff like televised death-sports and bunraku parlors into the background. Bring Urban Brawl or Golden Glory to the foreground by introducing a player of a client. Then, somewhere down the line, once they understand that the world is dark but they have a false sense of security about the righteousness of their actions, introduce them to the classic Ghoul Bounty run. Mindless flesh-eaters are scavenging the bodies of dead homeless who succumbed to the elements. A "Good Samaritan" is concerned about the possibility that they'll start attacking children and other easy prey once the weather improves and the homeless' death rate drops. If they take the run and go in guns blazing, they eventually find that they're killing intelligent ghoul parents who were just trying to protect their own children. It makes a great "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! What have I done!!!!!!" moment.
And after you hit that, you can start introducing more moral ambiguity, not so much to make the attempts to act morally seem hopeless, but enough to make the PCs think twice before deciding to commit genocide for the forces of Good.
Mercer
Well, this may just be the candy corn talking (gotta gear up for the holidays), but I always felt that the small-scale "heroism" of Shadowrun (or well, anything) was bigger than the large-scale "heroism" of D&D, because it was more relatable.

(Keeping in mind that with all this talk of heroism, we're still talking about a bunch of geeks sitting around a table laughing and tossing dice. It reminds me of a quote from the Jose Cheung episode of the X-Files, I guess all those years playing Dungeons and Dragons must have taught me something about courage.)
kigmatzomat
Most of my characters wound up doing charity work in the days before "cash for karma." Our party unofficially adopted a couple of kids and funneled money, tech, and knowledge to them, going so far as to set up various college funds and foundations to provide them scholarships.

Sometimes we were a little weird about it, like in one "Harlequin" adventure we found ourselves "opposed" by some bush league gangers. The mage knocked them all out with one stunball spell. When we left town we gifted them with our weapons rather than deal with the hassle of smuggling them home. I'm sure that upset the local socio-political applecart when those goofballs had body armor, a couple of smartlinked glasses (for the mage and shaman), two dozen automatic weapons and cases of APDS ammo.

We'd take some jobs pro bono; bug or blood spirits were our hot button items. We were also miffed with Alamos20k but after a case where they hired us on the sly and put us in an ambush we've been a bit more
selective about when and where we screw with them. Self-extractions from Aztechnology were something else we'd low-ball. Plus the occasional psychokiller who's preferred victim was a party member. Pays to be proactive, y'know?

Synner667
QUOTE (Serial_Peacemaker @ Oct 9 2007, 09:47 PM)
Well really a person as a runner can really do a lot of good in Shadowrun. Part of it is that a runner can easily do runs to support good work that they are doing. Also some of what the megas do is so terrible, that when you kill the entire facility you might very well have improved the world slightly. Also I know people complain about stun batons,  and S&S ammo occasionally, but non-lethality is very viable. At which point you can easily justify your activities in a Robin Hood sense.

I remember some characters talking about non-lethal weaponry on a shadowrun..
..Something to the effect that if you got a rep for NOT killing people, the opposition might be more willing to not attempt to kill you.

Also, many of the people on these forum seem to believe that SR is only about killing people and being 'bad'..
..Completely ignoring and/or being unaware that many of the SR characters in books/scenarios did 'heroic' things - even if they did them for the 'wrong' reasons.

And that tone was much more prevalent in 1st/2nd ed SR.
eidolon
QUOTE (Synner667)
Also, many of the people on these forum seem to believe that SR is only about killing people and being 'bad'..

In general, I'd have to say that that's the second most common "misconception", right behind the idea that all shadowrunners are Hard-Core Elite Professionals­™ that Never Mess Up®.
kzt
We had the elite professional bit down pretty good. The "never mess up" part not so good. smile.gif
Riley37
Dr. Funkenstein is running a play-by email in which the PCs work for the Draco Foundation. You could take a look over in that forum.
Have the PCs work for CrashCart or DocWagon; have them work in Knight Errant or Lone Star's specialized anti-bug/blood-spirit team; have them be resistance leaders in 2060s San Francisco occupied by Japanese Imperial State; there are lotsa potential backers who will have them working against unambiguous enemies. Or have them working for a biotech corp, and in the course of a run, stumble across the classic "create a plague and get rich selling the cure" plot; they can get paid to derail and expose their sponsor's competition while also saving civilian lives.
Whipstitch
QUOTE (eidolon @ Oct 10 2007, 04:27 PM)
QUOTE (Synner667 @ Oct 10 2007, 03:15 PM)

In general, I'd have to say that that's the second most common "misconception", right behind the idea that all shadowrunners are Hard-Core Elite Professionals­™ that Never Mess Up®.

I think you have a misconception of my misconceptions then.

Seriously though, it's inevitable that things seem a little skewed and off-kilter here on dumpshock at times. Like with any RPG fansite, the conversations are naturally going to dwell on theme and metagaming, so sweeping generalizations and poring over crunchy bits that normally would just be allowed to run under the hood during actual gameplay get dragged into the light and examined with a fine toothed comb. My favorite misconception is when some hardcore Creepwood type stumbles in on a thread dedicated to "breaking" the limits of a particular game mechanic and then absolutely flips out and accuses everyone involved of being the hoariest, most incorrigible munchkins to ever have walked the earth when in reality it's just a bunch of dudes playing around with numbers in a neutral setting.
eidolon
I'm not talking about crunch, optimization, and the topics that explore potential mechanical flaws.

I'm talking about the way people seem to portray and describe shadowrunners. As though every person running the shadows was uberleet. As though "shadowrunner" meant something other than "somebody being paid to do something illegal or quasi-legal that somebody else doesn't want to do themselves".

To be fair, I've seen it less lately, but there for a while we had an influx of people that equated "shadowrunner" with "Delta Force Hardass".
Adarael
After Hyzmarca pointed out how to get Counterspelling via a spirit pact with a free spirit, I personally want to make a guy who used to be a furniture salesman or something, helped a free spirit out of a jam (lent him money, or something, and didn't know he was a spirit) and used the spirit's magical blessing to buy his 'out' and become a runner, using "The mundane who counters spells!" as his shadow schtick.

And he wanted to become a runner because he hated selling furniture. Seriously.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012