Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Misc rules questions 2
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Riley37
If I fire the grenade launcher on my Ares Alpha with a Simple Action, and then fire a long burst with my second Simple Action, that's a lotta firepower in one IP. If I fire the long burst first, and then fire the grenade launcher, does the second action take any recoil penalty?

If I install an Ares Alpha (or HK XM30) on a drone, does it need a Targeting (Automatics) autosoft and a Targeting (Heavy Weapons) autosoft to use both functions of that weapon?

Can drones use smartlinks? The +2 bonus requires a smartgun sensor on the gun, and for metahuman users, a way to display the point-of-aim on the user's field of vision; does one pay the listed costs for Image Link and Smartlink as direct upgrades to the drone? There's a listed cost for buying a Camera with sesory enhancements, but presumably a drone without a Camera already has a built-in visual sensor, just not an image-capturing (picture-taking) function.

Do a smartlink system and an airburst link interact/stack in any way other than the +2 to the to-hit roll yielding more net hits to reduce the scatter roll?

Can a drone such as Doberman or Lynx use a bipod or tripod? Can they be effectively "sitting or kneeling" at will, and does that affect anything else? I imagine them as being inherently more stable than a metahuman, if they rest on 4 brakable wheels rather than 2 feet.

Does a flying drone take any different modifiers for recoil?

Why are MMGs, HMGs and assault cannon usable only on foot, and not mountable on vehicles?

If a metahuman extends a bipod or tripod, fires from sitting/kneeling, then runs and fires from another position, do any penalties apply for having an extended bi/tripod? Does sitting/kneeeling affect one's Reaction roll to evade incoming attacks? (I notice that there is both a "Defender prone" +3 to a melee attacker's dice pool AND a "defender prone" -2 to the defender's dice pool.) In other words, is there anything besides house rules to discourage ALWAYS having an extended tripod and declaring a sitting stance? And is there any advantage to firing from prone? (None in RAW, but oddly enough, many soldiers seem to choose prone stance when firing rifles.)

I'm inclined to house-rule that firing from sitting/kneeling gives +1 recoil compensation, and firing from prone gives +2, even without a bipod/tripod. Or possibly even a direct +1/+2 to the attack roll; good stance helps even when using a weapon with negligible recoil (eg a BB gun). Also a cover bonus when the attacker only has LOS to the prone person's head/shoulders, which usually happens at medium or long range.
Whipstitch
QUOTE (Riley37 @ Oct 8 2007, 06:11 PM)
Why are MMGs, HMGs and assault cannon usable only on foot, and not mountable on vehicles?

Ah yes, the eternal question. I keep waiting for for Gene Wilder to pop in and say "Wait, flip that, reverse it." but it never happens.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Riley37)
If I fire the grenade launcher on my Ares Alpha with a Simple Action, and then fire a long burst with my second Simple Action, that's a lotta firepower in one IP. If I fire the long burst first, and then fire the grenade launcher, does the second action take any recoil penalty?

I would apply the recoil from the long burst to the grenade fired after the long burst. I'm not sure if that's by the book, but it certainly makes sense to me.

If I install an Ares Alpha (or HK XM30) on a drone, does it need a Targeting (Automatics) autosoft and a Targeting (Heavy Weapons) autosoft to use both functions of that weapon?

I would argue yes, if only because it helps to limit the effectiveness of such a weapon. That being said, I have a house rule that allows grenade launchers that are an integral part of another weapon (like the Ares Alpha) to be fired with the skill of the base weapon, in this cause Automatics. But, as I said, that's only a house rule.

Can drones use smartlinks? The +2 bonus requires a smartgun sensor on the gun, and for metahuman users, a way to display the point-of-aim on the user's field of vision; does one pay the listed costs for Image Link and Smartlink as direct upgrades to the drone? There's a listed cost for buying a Camera with sesory enhancements, but presumably a drone without a Camera already has a built-in visual sensor, just not an image-capturing (picture-taking) function.

I don't allow them to, no. The targeting autosoft is the best you can do to give them extra dice in combat.

Do a smartlink system and an airburst link interact/stack in any way other than the +2 to the to-hit roll yielding more net hits to reduce the scatter roll?

Bingo. Don't forget that the airburst link also makes the grenade explode in the same pass as its fired rather than in the same pass during the next phase.

Can a drone such as Doberman or Lynx use a bipod or tripod? Can they be effectively "sitting or kneeling" at will, and does that affect anything else? I imagine them as being inherently more stable than a metahuman, if they rest on 4 brakable wheels rather than 2 feet.

I wouldn't allow it. I picture them as mobile gun platforms, basically a gun on stick attached to wheels (or treads) with the ability to adjust elevation and angle to aim. No way to attach a biopod or tripod to reduce recoil.

Not that I'm aware of.

Because the rules say they can't. Perhaps they're too large to be supported by the basic weapon mount in the main rulebook or the recoil is too much for the support strength of the mount and it would rip itself loose. Pick whatever reason you want for your games. That being said, Arsenal may include other forms of weapon mounts for all your vehicle customization needs.

If a metahuman extends a bipod or tripod, fires from sitting/kneeling, then runs and fires from another position, do any penalties apply for having an extended bi/tripod? Does sitting/kneeeling affect one's Reaction roll to evade incoming attacks?

I don't know of any penalties to running with an extended bipod or tripod. Jayne Cobb .... I mean Adam Baldwin .... does it repeatedly in Full Metal Jacket without too much difficulty it seems. As you indicate, I would apply at least a -1 if not the full -2 for Defender Prone for Dodge tests while firing a bi- or tripod weapon from a sitting or kneeling position.
eidolon
How I'd rule:

QUOTE (Riley37)

Yes, I'd assess the recoil penalty from the burst to the grenade shot, just as though you were to fire a long burst and then a single round or another burst. Likewise I would treat the grenade as a round being fired, and would assess a -1 to the following burst (of course accounting for RC).

QUOTE (Riley37)

Yes.

QUOTE (Riley37)

Nope.

QUOTE (Riley37)

I'd say no to a bipod or tripod being used, since the weapons are mounted, but I might look at giving them the effective RC of using them, since they are presumably fairly stable. Really I'd probably want to rule by drone type/size, and I'm lazy enough to let Arsenal come out before trying to do anything about it myself. I'm not that bothered by drones not getting RC.

QUOTE (Riley37)

Realistically it would depend on the size of the drone, size of the weapon, etc. I would think. Book wise and as far as I'm concerned, nope. Regular recoil mods.

QUOTE (Riley37)

Arsenal isn't out yet. smile.gif What's stopping you from mounting them now? Just ignore that sentence if it means playing the way you want.

QUOTE (Riley37)
If a metahuman extends a bipod or tripod, fires from sitting/kneeling, then runs and fires from another position, do any penalties apply for having an extended bi/tripod? Does sitting/kneeeling affect one's Reaction roll to evade incoming attacks? (I notice that there is both a "Defender prone" +3 to a melee attacker's dice pool AND a "defender prone" -2 to the defender's dice pool.) In other words, is there anything besides house rules to discourage ALWAYS having an extended tripod and declaring a sitting stance? And is there any advantage to firing from prone? (None in RAW, but oddly enough, many soldiers seem to choose prone stance when firing rifles.)

Rule that getting up from a sitting position takes the same simple action that standing up takes. The only weapon I've ever run with while the bipod was extended was a M-249 SAW, and it didn't really change anything. Was pretty much the same as running while carrying it with the tripod folded, except that when I dropped prone it was a hell of a lot quicker to set up and engage the target.

A tripod IRL is an entirely different matter, and the ones I've been around are so damn heavy and unwieldy that the gunner doesn't even carry it himself. It should not be easy to pick up a tripod-mounted heavy weapon and jog around with it; if not because of the weight (we know how ridiculously strong SR characters can be) then because they're huge and would get in the way. I don't know how to address this without getting into the "but this is a game" argument, but I'd personally say that you're well within rights to rule that the player must take the complex action described in the rules for the Tripod to set up and tear down a tripod mounted weapon for movement (at least more than a few feet). That's just my take on it, I'm sure someone will be along to argue with me shortly.

Here's what I'm talking about, btw:
Bipods: http://www.harrisbipods.com/
MMG on bipod: http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORCES/...Images/0236.jpg

HMG on a tripod: http://www.kmike.com/KWjpg/mghb.jpg

And there are a couple of practical reasons for firing from the prone. For one, you're more accurate than when firing from a standing or kneeling position (speaking of the average person here, not SUPER TRAINED EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULEā„¢). For another, you're less of a target.

Hope some of that helps. If I didn't address something I don't have anything useful at the moment.

edit: got rid of a joke that didn't come across like I intended
edit edit: Fixed some typos.
Eleazar
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Oct 8 2007, 08:03 PM)
I don't know of any penalties to running with an extended bipod or tripod.  Jayne Cobb .... I mean Adam Baldwin .... does it repeatedly in Full Metal Jacket without too much difficulty it seems.  As you indicate, I would apply at least a -1 if not the full -2 for Defender Prone for Dodge tests while firing a bi- or tripod weapon from a sitting or kneeling position.

The M60 GPMG Adam Baldwin would have used, if the movie is historically accurate, is 23 pounds. Depending on the strength of the character this could be a considerable penalty, or not one at all. You also have to realize that these weapons are going to be considerably lighter than those of today. If the character has a smart-link I would allow the tripod or bipod to be retracted as a free action. They just have to make sure their arms and hands aren't in the way of the mechanism. Probably one of your best indicators would be to ask a soldier if they are hindered when they use the M249 SAW, which would be the equivalent of Adam Baldwin's M60 GPMG. Dashifen, major kudos for the Firefly reference. "The Hero of Canton" continues to play through my head.

If you wanted to include this rule it would be a houserule. Currently, I don't see any need to limit machine guns in the way you are proposing. If you were to include this houserule I would think very seriously about this penalty in regards to high strength characters.

NOTE: Adam Baldwin's version is a light configuration for the gun that uses a light bipod. Tripods are definitely heavy. For the same M60 referenced it would make the gun weigh in at 38 pounds (15 more pounds).
eidolon
QUOTE (Eleazar @ Oct 8 2007, 08:20 PM)
NOTE: Adam Baldwin's version is a light configuration for the gun that uses a light bipod. Tripods are definitely heavy. For the same M60 referenced it would make the gun weigh in at 38 pounds (15 more pounds).

Yup, and the 60 isn't even a "big" weapon. It was normally fielded on a bipod, rather than a full tripod (at least when being carried in a squad). The tripod that the .50 caliber Browning HMG was fielded on weighed ~44 pounds by itself. Probably didn't see a lot of "carrying" in most cases, but it does give you an idea of why you shouldn't be letting a character of average strength pick up a tripod-mounted HMG and go hauling ass across the battlefield.
Dashifen
Wow ... I've been totally picturing tripods wrong. Thanks for the reference, eidolon.
Earlydawn
As a personal side-note, it's no secret that the ranged combat rules have some holes in terms of immersion, one of the worst being the complete lack of incentive for supported or prone firing.
Riley37
QUOTE (eidolon)
The only weapon I've ever run with while the tripod was extended was a M-229 SAW, and it didn't really change anything. Was pretty much the same as running while carrying it with the tripod folded, except that when I dropped prone it was a hell of a lot quicker to set up and engage the target.

A tripod IRL is an entirely different matter, and the ones I've been around are so damn heavy and unwieldy that the gunner doesn't even carry it himself.

You write tripod in both paragraphs, but I'm guessing you mean bipod on the M-229 SAW.

Yeah, I sure hope that Arsenal includes a Vehicular Heavy Weapon Mount.

The ruling on grenade and bullet fire also suggests a similar ruling if one fires an assault rifle or machine pistol single shot, then a short or long burst. I imagine that a grenade launch does more recoil than a standard bullet; for a full-detail-rules game I'd give grenade launchers and assault cannon 2 recoil for the single shot; most such weapons would have a shockpad, and the shooter benefits a bit from any other source of RC (eg high STR).

Dashifen: would you also rule that a drone gets no bonus from a targeting laser? I'd say that having a red dot on the where-you'll-hit spot would be a plus for a drone, but YMMV.

Possible houserule: metahumans firing from a stable position (prone, braced against firing slit, etc.) and wheeled drones *with their wheels locked* get +1 to attack dice pool and +1 RC. Simple action for a drone to lock/unlock its wheels.
eidolon
No sweat. Here's a few other good images:

.50 M2 HMG being used mounted on the deck of a ship: http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_50cal...MG_Fife_pic.jpg

As used by infantry: http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m-...cal-dvic552.jpg

M240 MMG mounted on a vehicle: http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m-...240-dvic549.jpg

same being fielded by infantry: http://images.military.com/EQGpics/EQG_WSAM240g_1.jpg

M249 SAW LMG being used standing (with bipod extended no less wink.gif): http://www.army.mil/-images/2007/05/14/497...5-23-154617.jpg

and from a foxhole: http://www.floridaguard.army.mil/assets/m-249.jpg
DTFarstar
If the grenade recoil is uncompensated I would guess it would be doubled since grenade launcher = heavy weapon.

Chris
eidolon
QUOTE (Riley37)

You write tripod in both paragraphs, but I'm guessing you mean bipod on the M-229 SAW.

Hell. Yeah, and I also wrote M-229 instead of M-249. I'll fix it, thanks. smile.gif

QUOTE (Riley37)
The ruling on grenade and bullet fire also suggests a similar ruling if one fires an assault rifle or machine pistol single shot, then a short or long burst.

Yes. Any combination of fire modes. Every bullet (or in my ruling, other projectile) after the first fired in the same Phase adds a -1 recoil penalty.

QUOTE (Riley37)
I imagine that a grenade launch does more recoil than a standard bullet;

The only underbarrel grenade launcher I have any experience with is the M-209, and honestly, it barely kicks, considering the size of the round (40mm). And I am and was harldy considered an overly "strong" individual. 6'1" in shoes and was about 195 at the time. The recoil was less of a pain than just switching mental "modes" from aiming the grenade launcher and going back to firing the rifle. (Was't a weapon I got to use much at all.)

DJFarstar is right by SR though. It's a heavy weapon, so any uncompensated recoil from it would be doubled. If you fire the grenade first, good to go. Burst that eats up your RC and then a grenade? -2 just to fire it.
Fix-it
AFAIK, in WWII. the standard infantry MG team had three people:

One guy to carry the 30 cal M1919 machine gun. (31 lbs)
One guy to carry ammo. (as much as possible)
One guy to carry the tripod. (10lbs + more ammo)

one guy with m60 = big improvement
DTFarstar
Heh, sweet, apparently I am DJ Farstar now. That sounds significantly more awesome than my actual name. Hmmm.... maybe I should change it.

Chris
Riley37
QUOTE (eidolon)
The recoil was less of a pain than just switching mental "modes" from aiming the grenade launcher and going back to firing the rifle.

Would your experience suggest that the skill of properly aiming a bullet-firing weapon, and a grenade-lobbing weapon, are substantially different, even when they're on the same stock?

Then again, in SR4, firing a hunting rifle and an assault rifle have no overlap of competency. I'd be open to a houserule that if you have Automatics, you can use it to fire Longarms with perhaps a -2 penalty, and vice versa... and if you have Longarms, you can fire an assault rifle in semi-auto mode, single shot per Simple Action, with no penalty at all, same for using Pistols to fire a machine pistol in semi-auto mode. I imagine that the difference lies in the grips - both hands together on a pistol, off-hand on foregrip with SMG or MP, off-hand on barrel shroud with AR; opinions from those who have more experience?
RobertB
QUOTE (Riley37)

According to page 160 of the rules, firing a vehicle weapon counts as a complex action. I believe that ruling prevents you from firing both the grenade launcher and the assault rifle on the same action phase. This ruling is what I enforce for my players, and the way I play my rigger character.

First, the drone does not REQUIRE the targeting autosofts to fire the weapons, but they are helpful. Second, firing the weapons by hand requires both the automatics and heavy weapons skills. It's not spelled out in the rules, but I think the rule should also apply to the drone when using targeting autosofts. (There was an SR3 rule that allowed you to default to the weapon skill of the weapon to which the grenade launcher was mounted, but that rule no longer exists in SR4.)

There is nothing mentioned in the rules. We allow the bonus for a rigger controlling or rigging the drone, but don't allow it when the drone is firing on its own. The weapon on the drone would require a smartgun link, and the drone would require camera sensors with a smartlink installed. The thought is that the smartlink bonus is really there to help a metahuman mind process targeting information, but isn't helpful for a computer.

That is all.

Your logic is sound. A vehicle should be a more stable platform. However, currently there are no rules for providing bipod/tripod bonuses when a weapon is mounted on a drone.

None as written. Don't forget movement modifiers though.

Good question. Let's see what happens in November with Arsenal.

Remember you have to use the Run and Drop Prone free actions, the Ready Weapon, and Stand Up simple actions, and the Fire Mounted Weapon complex action. I think those actions limit the amount of running and shooting from a bipod/tripod that happens in the same action phase.

I'm inclined to house-rule that firing from sitting/kneeling gives +1 recoil compensation, and firing from prone gives +2, even without a bipod/tripod. Or possibly even a direct +1/+2 to the attack roll; good stance helps even when using a weapon with negligible recoil (eg a BB gun). Also a cover bonus when the attacker only has LOS to the prone person's head/shoulders, which usually happens at medium or long range.

I tend to assume that the base dice pool your characters use for firing weapons takes into account that they have a good stance, and would remove dice if they had less sure footing. Adding dice can lead to power creep IMO.

Robert (aka Spanner)
eidolon
QUOTE (DTFarstar)
Heh, sweet, apparently I am DJ Farstar now. That sounds significantly more awesome than my actual name. Hmmm.... maybe I should change it.

Damn. I blame beer and being up too late. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Riley37)
Would your experience suggest that the skill of properly aiming a bullet-firing weapon, and a grenade-lobbing weapon, are substantially different, even when they're on the same stock?

Yes, without a doubt. The two actions are 100% different outside of "pull the trigger". Different sights, different hand position, different technique.

QUOTE (Riley37)
opinions from those who have more experience?

You're basically talking about allowing defaulting to other skills. This is how it was done in 3rd edition. It makes sense in a "realism" kind of way, but remember that SR4 is designed differently, and you might be screwing with balance. I'd be loath to do this since there is already a defaulting mechanism in place.

QUOTE (RobertB)
According to page 160 of the rules, firing a vehicle weapon counts as a complex action.

Eh, an Ares Alpha in your hands isn't mounted on a vehicle, though. wink.gif It's not a bad house rule, I just don't view it the same way.

RobertB
QUOTE (RobertB)
According to page 160 of the rules, firing a vehicle weapon counts as a complex action.

Eh, an Ares Alpha in your hands isn't mounted on a vehicle, though. wink.gif It's not a bad house rule, I just don't view it the same way.

Whoops! You know, I saw the other drone questions and made an unjustified mental leap. My apologies. A PERSON firing those weapons is a whole different ball of wax.

Robert (aka Spanner)
Tarantula
QUOTE (RobertB)
First, the drone does not REQUIRE the targeting autosofts to fire the weapons, but they are helpful. Second, firing the weapons by hand requires both the automatics and heavy weapons skills. It's not spelled out in the rules, but I think the rule should also apply to the drone when using targeting autosofts. (There was an SR3 rule that allowed you to default to the weapon skill of the weapon to which the grenade launcher was mounted, but that rule no longer exists in SR4.)

Yes, yes it does! SR4, 162, Drones and Gunnery, "Drones must have an autosoft appropriate to the weapon they are wielding in order to attack."
Dashifen
QUOTE (Riley37 @ Oct 8 2007, 10:19 PM)
Dashifen: would you also rule that a drone gets no bonus from a targeting laser? I'd say that having a red dot on the where-you'll-hit spot would be a plus for a drone, but YMMV.

I don't see how a drone would know where the dot is as they don't have visual sensors, as I understand it. Thus, barring information to the contrary within this thread, I don't give drones a laser sight bonus either. They can perform a take aim action if they're instructed to fire carefully, but if you want to make a drone better at combat (outside suppression fire which is how I see them used most often), you better upgrade the Pilot and Autosofts or jump in and rig it.
CyberKender
I'll second pretty much everything Eidolon said.

The only thing I'd add is that if the person using the weapon with the bipod extended happens to be in particularly tight terrain, (like narrower than standard corridors or in a tightly-packed wearhouse), I might add an additional penalty for them when maneuvering the weapon around.
Riley37
QUOTE (Dashifen)
(drones) don't have visual sensors, as I understand it.

That is a major question, and has come up in other threads. The Doberman comes with Clearsight pre-installed, and is marketed as a security drone. If it's blind, that might reduce its effectiveness. Some text indicates that most vehicles can do a simple "pilot self from location A to location B"; again, that'll be tough if they're blind. Optical/visual sensors are darn handy for current RL drones, and assuming the image-processing tech gets better in the next 70 years, it would be perverse not to use it.
I'm thinking the rules writers did not have clarity or consensus on this question.
RobertB
QUOTE (Riley37)
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Oct 9 2007, 02:20 PM)
(drones) don't have visual sensors, as I understand it.

That is a major question, and has come up in other threads. The Doberman comes with Clearsight pre-installed, and is marketed as a security drone. If it's blind, that might reduce its effectiveness. Some text indicates that most vehicles can do a simple "pilot self from location A to location B"; again, that'll be tough if they're blind. Optical/visual sensors are darn handy for current RL drones, and assuming the image-processing tech gets better in the next 70 years, it would be perverse not to use it.
I'm thinking the rules writers did not have clarity or consensus on this question.

The FAQ addresses the missing sensor types issue.

Robert (aka Spanner)
Lagomorph
to address the tripod on a drone, I disallow it. But, as a house rule in my games, ground drones are already considered tripods providing -6 RC. I'd rule air drones have no RC.
Riley37
QUOTE (RobertB)

The FAQ refers to the capacity of various drones, but is silent on whether an off-the-shelf drone or vehicle really lacks *any* pre-installed senses, which strikes me as darn silly, and contradicts the bit about vehicles having basic capacity to drive themselves (unless that only means taking orders from GridGuide).
RobertB
QUOTE (Riley37)
QUOTE (RobertB @ Oct 9 2007, 06:34 PM)

The FAQ refers to the capacity of various drones, but is silent on whether an off-the-shelf drone or vehicle really lacks *any* pre-installed senses, which strikes me as darn silly, and contradicts the bit about vehicles having basic capacity to drive themselves (unless that only means taking orders from GridGuide).

From the FAQ:

Do drones (and rigged vehicles) come with any sort of sensors (e.g., cameras, microphones)? If they do, what are they?

Yes, as you'll see on p. 342, SR4, each of them has a Sensor attribute. If you want to determine what specific sensors a drone has, see the Sensor packages table on p. 325, SR4. You can use the capacity for the vehicle's sensor package to determine what kind of sensor gear it has.

Of course, everyone reads things a little differently, but I take their answer to mean that "off the shelf" drones contain whichever sensor packages you want at the time of purchase equal to the vehicle's capacity.

Robert (aka Spanner)
Riley37
In which case, the cheap way for a bouncer to check people for explosives and gear is to mount a Rating 6 olfactory scanner, Rating 6 cyberware scanner, and Rating 3 MAD, on an iBall minidrone, since the drone costs less than the sensors bought separately...
and every vehicle can have all sensors but one, at max rating, for free.

I prefer that optical and low-resolution collision avoidance radar are built-in. The rules for targeting and Signal suggest that radar is involved at some level.

Your interpretation is valid from the phrasing. A FAQ should have clearer phrasing!

RobertB
QUOTE (Riley37)
In which case, the cheap way for a bouncer to check people for explosives and gear is to mount a Rating 6 olfactory scanner, Rating 6 cyberware scanner, and Rating 3 MAD, on an iBall minidrone, since the drone costs less than the sensors bought separately...

I prefer that optical and low-resolution collision avoidance radar are built-in. The rules for targeting and Signal suggest that radar is involved at some level.

Your interpretation is valid from the phrasing. A FAQ should have clearer phrasing!

Well, I don't want to imply that you get the sensors for free. I think you should still pay for each of the sensor systems as shown on the table on page 325.

I'm a little confused by your example though, you mention putting 3 systems in an eyeball drone, but those drones only have a capacity of 2. And I'm not sure I understand your vehicle reference. Most of the vehicles shown on the table have a sensor capacity of 1.

And yes, if you didn't pay for additional sensors, by my reading of the default rules, the vehicle could still perform the maneuvers needed to drive itself if needed. But, as you say, this is all interpretation and not spelled out implicitly in the rules.

Robert (aka Spanner)
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Riley37)

If you are going to use an example based on the FAQ, at least use all of it, not just the part which you think you can use to prove your point.

The FAQ clearly adds the limit of capacity of the drone, which you do not use in your example.
Jaid
if i was going to give drones visual by default, it would be with the understanding that it can't be upgraded without buying the 100 nuyen.gif camera sensor, personally.
Riley37
Hunh? p. 342, the iball is a minidrone costing $1500; p. 325, a minidrone has a sensor capacity of three, eg the three expensive ones that I listed.

p. 25, vehicles have a sensor capacity of 12. They may have a lower sensor RATING, but that's for their Observe dice pool, not how many sensors one can install into them.

If you wanna rule that every vehicle gets your choice of free sensors up to capacity, or that a Doberman starts with no senses at all, then hey, it's your game, have fun!
Falconer
QUOTE (Riley37)
And is there any advantage to firing from prone? (None in RAW, but oddly enough, many soldiers seem to choose prone stance when firing rifles.)

Actually in the RAW there is, as you stated give a penalty for partial cover. Here's what I see.

Melee Attack Modifers:
+3 dice, Opponent is Prone, nuf said. Makes sense.
+2 dice, superior position (I'd rule this one against someone kneeling/sitting, I'd go so far as to say as prone is just exceptionally superior position and not make these two cumulative, especially w/ the knockdown rules)

Ranged Attack Modifiers:
"Target Has Good Cover: If at least 50% of the target's form is obscured by intervening terrain. A -4 dice pool modifier applies. This modifier can also apply to prone targets at least 20meters away."
I'd also say this would apply to someone sit/kneeling deployed behind sandbags or a desk. Or say prone behind a corner or tree at shorter range.

Defense Modifiers:
Defender Prone: Characters who are on the ground have a more difficult time getting out of the way and suffer a -2 dice pool modifier. This modifier does not apply to defending against ranged attacks unless the attacker is extremely close (5m or less)

So there's a definate advantage to going prone in a ranged firefight.
Over 20m: -4 ranged penalty to hit you
6-20m: no penalty, no bonus, danger Will Robinson danger
<5m: -2 penalty to your defense, +3 melee bonus to hit you

Bipod has qualifying text in it's description which I think is key....
"A bipod can be attached to the underbarrel mount and provides 2 points of recoil compensation WHEN PROPERLY DEPLOYED". I'd argue that sitting w/ the bipod itself 2 feet off the ground isn't deploying it so no bonus. No penalty, no bonus is fair for just having the accessory attached.

As far as sit/kneel vs. prone... going prone is a free action. Standing up is a simple action. I'd argue that you need to stand as a simple action from sitting as well (or a free action at least, it's definately not no action IMO). I'd consider 'kneeling to be sitting for game simplicity purposes... if you can drop prone w/ the bipod, I have nothing against someone kneeling behind a desk as a free action for the same benefits and costs.

The other idea of giving a bonus for sit/kneeling in the open I don't think is apt... just because they're a slightly smaller target. You don't see a size mod in the game making a dwarf harder to hit than a troll at range. Why should a human the same size as a dwarf get a mod just because he's reduced his silhouette by kneeling.
Riley37
QUOTE (Falconer)
6-20m: no penalty, no bonus, danger Will Robinson danger

Cogent point, but I think the -2 penalty to defense should apply at all ranges. If you're prone, your rolling, ducking, etc. is reduced just as much when the enemy is 6+ meters away. Still worth it for the -4 penalty to the attack roll.

What I meant was that RAW gives no bonus to the attack roll of a person firing from prone. A person firing from prone, or kneeling/sitting with their elbows resting on a stable surface, has an advantage in keeping the gun rock-steady; contact with the ground reduces minor hand tremors, and helps absorb recoil (including the real-world recoil of a single-shot firearm).
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Riley37)
QUOTE (Falconer @ Oct 12 2007, 01:17 AM)
6-20m:  no penalty, no bonus, danger Will Robinson danger

Cogent point, but I think the -2 penalty to defense should apply at all ranges. If you're prone, your rolling, ducking, etc. is reduced just as much when the enemy is 6+ meters away. Still worth it for the -4 penalty to the attack roll.

What I meant was that RAW gives no bonus to the attack roll of a person firing from prone. A person firing from prone, or kneeling/sitting with their elbows resting on a stable surface, has an advantage in keeping the gun rock-steady; contact with the ground reduces minor hand tremors, and helps absorb recoil (including the real-world recoil of a single-shot firearm).

I think the point is, at 6m+ range if you're prone your inability to move far away from your position quickly pretty much negates the penalty the shooter should have gotten to fire at a smaller target (partial cover).

You're vulnerable enough as it is at this range since your vulnerable to attackers (ranged or melee) closing and remove your advantage and give you a penalty instead.

If someone was shooting at me at 10-15 meters in real life and there was no cover (and he used a rifle) I would rather drop prone than just run, assuming I had a gun of my own.
Falconer
I think your reaction at that range is critically flawed. Firstly you get a nomination for a darwin award for allowing someone armed w/ a rifle to get that close in an environment with nowhere to hide! You go prone to exploit low cover in CQB to eploit cover (mounds, hills, ditches, otherwise known as getting out of sight)... Shadowrun has the right reaction... start moving yourself to make yourself a hard target til you can get into actual hard cover (+3 defense dice). (running straight toward or away from the shooter only makes you an easier low aspect target) (charging target mod). Someone w/ a longarm at that range should have difficulty engaging you if you get really close to them... if you can close that distance w/o getting hit (the fact that he didn't hit you the first time raises serious questions of the other guys competency). (watch the guys shooting at 30-50' in a pistol competition sometime if you think going prone w/o cover at that range is going to help you!)

Now onto your regularly scheduled post....
Changing the attackers dice pool does two things. It makes the attack absolutely more/less damaging and accurate by affecting the non-net number of hits. Changing the defenders dice pool generally doesn't do anything to make the max damage of the attack any stronger, it primarily affects %hit and the net amount of damage if it does hit.

For most purposes in game... I see absolutely no problems w/ the RAW. Good game design should only penalize one dice pool or the other to keep things simple. The only time it gives both a bonus and a penalty reflects a clear discprency between melee and ranged, and ranged is basically nothing more than an extra range based modifier which makes sense. They even have the ranges set at reasonable points where prone is an advantage, no advantage and a clear disadvantage. As explained, I see no reason to have the character able to do more damage/more precisely just because he went prone (potentially w/ a weapon which is harder to use prone than standing like a pistol!).

Recoil compensation on a bipod makes emminent sense given it's primary usage on weapons being used as infantry LMG's. The only other place bipods are commonly fielded are in sniper/benchrest at long range where you need a highly stable rifle and aren't radically repositioning it every 3s. This is one of my gripes w/ many combat systems. Long/Extreme ranged combat encounters are broken IMO. I'm shocked there aren't snipers everywhere in the bloody game it makes it so ludicrously easy! (especially for the powers that be) The rules are fine for short range room to room, or urban CQB which is the vast majority of the settings action.

Rant mode On:
Really only a -3 for EXTREME RANGE... gee. the fact at that range that the target is going to have a hell of a time even PERCIEVING a POORLY HIDDEN rifleman! The flatfooted benefits alone... then an optical scope completely negates that?! Smartlink might show you bullet path, but it still doesn't account for the fact that the bullet is in flight for a FULL COMBAT ROUND (2-3s flight time) you have to be a pretty good and lucky shooter to lead that. I can see giving tech benefits to offset a large dicepool penalty w/ tech.

If I wanted more realistic long range rules. I'd immediately up the range penalties to say -2, -4, -6 at the least (probably more like -2, -5, -9). Change optics to reduce range penalties by one range bracket. And give a bipod bonus to take aim for single shot rifles (intead of +1 per take aim, give it a +2 per take aim up to the normal max). If you have to physically turn the gun more than 5degrees while taking aim... a bipod doesn't help you. Somehow make an activated smartlink in LOS shine out in augmented reality negating long-range perception mods to see an overly equipment dependant wannabe sniper. Also I'd rework the range charts (I've hit 3/9 rounds into a chest sized silhouette w/ a M1911 frame .45ACP at 100m.. from kneeling).

EG: point-blank(0), short(1), medium(3), long(6), extreme(10) (I'd give small weapons like pistols, SMG, carbine... a longer point-blank range reflecting that they're small and maneuverable and very usefull in close quarters battle (CQB), and give long arms like a rifle a shorter point-blank but a longer short bracket).

Riley37
Veering from the original question... how about a Too Close range with a -1 penalty to the attacker's dice pool? For a long-barrelled sniper rifle, maybe out to 4m; for a pistol, only if you're firing at someone who's literally chest-to-chest (eg fighting Wing Chun style); broken or not?

I still want a difference, expressible in dice pools, between firing from a braced position, aiming using sights (good at long range, relying on cover and reduced aspect not on dodging), vs close-quarters firing from the hip, pointing not aiming, possibly while sidestepping the adept charging you with a katana (getting as much Reaction defense dice as you would if you also were using a katana). More crunch than some prefer; optional high-detail rules for the tactics geeks.

As for default vehicle/drone sensors: cf. p. 162 on Signature - clearly this is sensors optimized for detecting other vehicles - that doesn't make sense if the default is "blind and deaf" or "you get your free choice from the list".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012