Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What the Heck?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Stahlseele
Ok, first post, 'cause i got bored . .
Have you ever used a piece of cyber or bio, equipment, magic or anything else to do something that was probably not meant to be done with it? Or did someone in your Group do something like that?

For example: using an cyber-hand with interchangeable mod . . greet someone, shake hands, and make the hand go off of your arm via DNI command for example, to leave them standing there staring at your unattached hand in shock/stupor . .

Or maybe the internal air tank?
just use it for an exceptionally long burp? or to simulate you hanging yourself while not choking due to the oxygen in your tank?

or with shadowrun 4 stuff like the penile implant . . have it be attacheable like the cyber-hand . . just get up while in the middle of a romp and tell her:"i'll be right back, don't let that disturb you while having fun"

or combining penile implant and cyber fore-arm with cyber-fore-arm option of jackhammer . .

everything counts, free for all, just something sick, twisted or insane . . be it funny or not *g*

if you have not already used it, or seen it being done . . what would your ideas be? be creative, be insane! ^^
bardnoir
Had a guy in SR II put a toxin "exhaler" in his rectum.

Brought a new meaning to "Silent but Deadly"
Stahlseele
yes, good, like that exactly ^^
Dender
Had a troll named Fridge use a modded iBall.

It was loaded with a holographic emitter.

Have heard of plans to combine trachea filter with internal air tank and a tongue mod to breathe fire. or acid.

Filling Internal air tank with poison gas in case of stabwound

Player wanted to construct a bike that had every area possible packed with explosives. Looked into hardened explosives for the plastic bits. Was going to give it as a gift to another player.

Monofil whip with a sticker RFID tag to create tripwire traps of cutting doom.

combined abover sticker/monofil with a crawler drone and an RFID gun. Shoot someone, crawler crawls around their neck and decapitates them.

Bolo gun with monofil

Collapseable shield in a full cyberarm

raggedhalo
QUOTE (Stahlseele)
or with shadowrun 4 stuff like the penile implant . . have it be attacheable like the cyber-hand . . just get up while in the middle of a romp and tell her:"i'll be right back, don't let that disturb you while having fun"

Now, what was that Nada Surf song again?
HappyDaze
We had a group of terrorists using a version of bone lacing that was an explosive compound woven around and through the skeleton. Very nasty.
HappyDaze
Filling Internal air tank with poison gas in case of stabwound

Can you say pneumothorax? Add in the toxicity of the gas, and this jackass is well on his way to winning a Darwin.
HappyDaze
Or maybe the internal air tank?
just use it ... to simulate you hanging yourself while not choking due to the oxygen in your tank?

Too bad that oxygen won't get to your brain since most hangings will occlude the carotid arteries. If you're suspending yourself, you'll need bone lacing to keep your neck from breaking too.
MaxHunter
In one of my games, a criminal runner was nicknamed "the lizard". The team had to catch her. They ambushed her group and she started running. One of the runners tackled her and was asked to describe how he was doing it. He got a hold of her arm and pulled. Next initiative pass the criminal continued running away, leaving a pretty much surprised runner with a cyberarm in his hands. The next initiative pass the lost cyberarm exploded (as an area effect cortex bomb) "The lizard", ha!

Cheers

Max
Dashifen
Awesome, MaxHunter. Now I have to come up with a time to use that one.
swirler
2 words...
"pogo penis"

okay so I stole the idea from "Stupor Powers"
no I havent used it in a game, but someone could
lol
okay another one from there that could work
"concussive breasts"
Cybered implants that an assassin could have, pose as an "exotic dancer" and take out a guy, crush his skull maybe
love.gif
GWCarver
Max,

Been watching a lot of Ghost in the Shell?
Eryk the Red
Bolo gun with monofil

I actually had an NPC is my game use a gun like that. A player character lost a foot because of a not-quite-good-enough dodge. On his first mission. (He got a new one. No lasting issues.)
Maximum
When I was trying to come up with some sinister ways to protect a facility, I wondered what would happen if you created classic D&D style dungeon traps using Shadowrun level technology.

For example, a classic pit trap, brought up to Shadowrun specs. It would be a pressure sensitive floor set to slide open when it detects the weight of a metahuman body, and any kind of nastiness could be waiting down there, like a web of monofilament wire at the bottom of the pit, so the poor runner is suspended by the web while each of his movements cuts him apart a bit more. Nasty way to die.

Or how about your good old crushing walls trap, powered by modern hydraulics? For an extra twist, the floor can be a powerful electromagnet, which may stick the poor runner in place, depending on what he's wearing.
KarmaInferno
See the Cube series of movies for inspiration.

biggrin.gif

You may not want to use mono-wire. Pretty sure unless it was a REALLY fine mesh screen of monowire that the Force with which you hit it would cause you to fall into pieces. It takes surprisingly little force to cut through human tissue and well.... force = mass * acceleration. Acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 meters per second in the negative direction on the y axis, so.... ouchies.
Jaid
QUOTE (DTFarstar)
You may not want to use mono-wire. Pretty sure unless it was a REALLY fine mesh screen of monowire that the Force with which you hit it would cause you to fall into pieces. It takes surprisingly little force to cut through human tissue and well.... force = mass * acceleration. Acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 meters per second in the negative direction on the y axis, so.... ouchies.

microwire does 8P damage just from handling it with your bare hands.

i'm sure it does horrible things when your torso hits it at high speeds =P
darthmord
QUOTE (Maximum)
When I was trying to come up with some sinister ways to protect a facility, I wondered what would happen if you created classic D&D style dungeon traps using Shadowrun level technology.

For example, a classic pit trap, brought up to Shadowrun specs. It would be a pressure sensitive floor set to slide open when it detects the weight of a metahuman body, and any kind of nastiness could be waiting down there, like a web of monofilament wire at the bottom of the pit, so the poor runner is suspended by the web while each of his movements cuts him apart a bit more. Nasty way to die.

Or how about your good old crushing walls trap, powered by modern hydraulics? For an extra twist, the floor can be a powerful electromagnet, which may stick the poor runner in place, depending on what he's wearing.

LOL... vegm.gif

You have no idea... I did this one time for my players back in SR2. I made the prize a set of 4 Battle Armor suits with lots of high tech toys (Level 4 Tactical Computers, every possible vision/auditory mod, guns, lasers, missiles, etc).

All they had to do was successfully infiltrate the military research facility, grab the battle armor suits, and escape.

I was so kind as to let them have 50% greater than starting resources across the board as well as custom designed vehicles (1 each at a max pricetag of 1 million nuyen.gif at no cost in resources).

Apparently the level of security I designed the place with (Matrix, physical, and magical) was so frightening, they opted to decline the one-off run opportunity. One guy called the level of security "Something that makes Ultraviolet hosts look friendly and caring". Another player said he'd make the run get over in 5 minutes or less... he'd just shoot himself to die fast rather than rolling dice only to die slowly. Only one player was willing to go for it but he wanted the rest of the team to go with him. He didn't want to try it solo.

Unfortunately, all my papers and notes for the place and the battle armor suits was lost in a house fire back in 2000. I never got around to redoing it all. I do remember some of the details about site security though. The big one was security was a massive onion in that each layer was disconnected from the one before it and the one after it. The facility was a place where you lived and worked.
darthmord
QUOTE (Jaid)
QUOTE (DTFarstar @ Oct 10 2007, 12:56 PM)

microwire does 8P damage just from handling it with your bare hands.

i'm sure it does horrible things when your torso hits it at high speeds =P

Look before you leap?

<EG>
Lagomorph
Had a character with an internal air tank who was a "rocker" in a joke game. He'd do "scream solos" for half an hour or more during shows.

He used IR smoke grenades and flash paks as "Special Effects".
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (swirler)
okay another one from there that could work
"concussive breasts"
Cybered implants that an assassin could have, pose as an "exotic dancer" and take out a guy, crush his skull maybe

...still want machine gun juggies....
Stahlseele
just a reminder, not only tech and equip, magical stuff counts too *g*
btw, that one with the exploding arm is pure genius ^^
Darkraven
QUOTE (raggedhalo)
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Oct 9 2007, 04:20 PM)

Now, what was that Nada Surf song again?

King Missile did Detachable Penis
Cain
Well, this isn't as raunchy as some here, but my 3rd Ed mage used a Physical barrier to stop a chasing motorcycle. She turned the barrier into a ramp. cool.gif
kigmatzomat
Slick. A good rigger can make the crash check and a decently armored vehicle will punch through most Barriers. A ramp requires far less hardness since it needs to be what, plywood strong? kudos.
Cabral
I was actually just wondering whether you could copy your personality to a P-Fix chip to prevent Control Thoughts ...
DTFarstar
Force required to most an object is lessened by the sin of the angle on the incline, so yeah, ramp = good.

Chris
Stahlseele
i look into this thread and i think:" . . now why the heck did i not think of those things?"
awesome work guys, keep it up ^^
keep the ideas coming *g*
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Cabral)
I was actually just wondering whether you could copy your personality to a P-Fix chip to prevent Control Thoughts ...

indifferent.gif
There needs to be a reason why that doesn't work. wink.gif
Orient
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (Cabral @ Oct 11 2007, 07:49 AM)

indifferent.gif
There needs to be a reason why that doesn't work. wink.gif

Addiction .. the BTL-induced sense that your P-fix chip is somehow "more you" than you are .. I'm sure you could do plenty with that.
Moon-Hawk
Good idea!
That would work for PCs, but what about a reason why unscrupulous corporations wouldn't do that with all their security guards?
Orient
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Good idea!
That would work for PCs, but what about a reason why unscrupulous corporations wouldn't do that with all their security guards?

The same thing that prevents those corporations from trying out new security 'ware on their guards: not much.

Heh. Certainly could be interesting..
Ravor
vegm.gif vegm.gif vegm.gif
Stahlseele
doesn't stop CONTROL ACTION, just those other mind raperys i'd say . . and even there it's a long stretch at best, because even if you THINK or FEEL you're SOMEONE ELSE . . you STILL think and feel . . and those can still be controlled . . but the idea in itself is good *g*
mattvo28
I'm in the process (need the karma) of combining the running up the wall Adept power with the Adept power that lets one walk on water (and other impossible surfaces). With that she can run up waterfalls and jump off leaves. Not that we encounter many waterfalls but still...
Adarael
There's a subtle difference between P-fix chips and 'downloading your personality'. You can't back up your personality and thoughts to a p-fix chip because at essence, a p-fix is a phantom self. It's not a whole person, just an echo of one. P-fixes generally include behavioral sets, quirks, and preset emotional responses to particular stimuli. They don't include memories, goals (not to be confused with directives, which they do include), flexible contingencies, planning schema or any kind of heirarchy of value.

The difference is the difference between AI scripts in a game and a player. The AI has directives on how to behave, set responses to particular actions in their environment, and a limited ability to adapt to achieve said directive. Fundamentally, however, they cannot set new goals, cannot rearrange values save on the most limited of scales, and cannot reorganize their contingencies.

What that would mean is I would allow a pfix chip to add bonus dice to resist control thoughts if the mage's directives directly countermanded the pfix, such as in the following example:
P-Fix Directives: "Guard this door. You will not voluntarily leave your post. Do not let anyone in without authorization passcodes. Kill violent offenders. You love your job. You love the company. Violence on behalf of the company arouses you. Murder on behalf of the company is not murder, it is business. You feel no guilt."
Mage controls thoughts. Mage orders: "Leave your post."

A case where I would not allow bonus dice:
P-Fix: as above.
Mage orders: "You have to go to the bathroom."

In the first, the mage's orders directly countermand behaviors that are machine-coded into the subject's head. The spell doesn't affect the coding of the p-fix, and therefore the p-fix will fight the magical order. In the second, the order the mage gives is outside of the p-fix's encoding - guards DO have to go to the bathroom, and therefore it falls on the guard's meatbrain to determine what to do. Since the pfix will register the meatbrain being in distress and they will think, "I am not abandoning my post, I'm going pee and coming right back" the Pfix won't fight it.

Or, to put it another way...
Mage order: "Let me pass. You don't need my identification." - Pfix fights, because it's hardcoded to require the guard see some id.
Mage order: "Let me pass. You have seen my Id before, and you know I am cleared to go through here." - Pfix doesn't fight, because the order bypasses the Pfix requirement.
Orient
QUOTE (Adarael)
(stuff)

I can dig it..
darthmord
QUOTE (Adarael)
Or, to put it another way...
Mage order: "Let me pass. You don't need my identification." - Pfix fights, because it's hardcoded to require the guard see some id.
Mage order: "Let me pass. You have seen my Id before, and you know I am cleared to go through here." - Pfix doesn't fight, because the order bypasses the Pfix requirement.

Actually, I'd have to say that the second path would still run afoul of the PFix due to the guy trying to bluff his way past security. The order is to check all IDs. Saying he doesn't have to is in direct opposition to orders.

Convincing the guy to go to the bathroom would be much better and safer since it's a biological imperative and one that he would willingly follow should the urge arise.

A similar example taken from Mage: Ascension...

Simply shooting a lightning a bolt at someone and frying them would be bad. Having them believe that the 3rd rail simply arced electricity and fried someone is okay. (magic observed by mundanes caused severe problems for magic users. Playing your magic such that it appeared to be a wholly mundane occurance didn't come with such problems.)

Having someone do something because they are inclined to follow it is pretty much always safer than trying to convince them of something otherwise contrary to their tasking.
Adarael
The trick with the second is the "I have already shown you my ID" order. This is admittedly a sticky area, maybe better served by Alter Memory than Control Thoughts, but if the guard believes he has seen a valid Id for the spoofing mage, the P-fix should accept it. The pfix can't determine if any information is true or false other than what the guard's brain tells it. If the brain reports "ID HAS BEEN SEEN" then the pfix shouldn't get snippy with his gray matter.

I do like the bathroom order better, though.

And shooting a lightning bolt is only bad if you don't have the mana to burn to reduce paradox. Prime masters forever! *G*
Edit: sorry, Quintessence. I've been reading a lot of Awakening lately, so my Ascension terms have gotten muddled.
Spike
As much as I agree with the sentiment, I actually dislike the 'go to the bathroom' command. First, it does violate the P-Fix, as voluntarily leaving one's post is implied. One can get releif without leaving, after all.

Second, I have been an armed guard from time to time and in real life, security understands bathroom breaks must occur. Therefor they are planned for, and I can only imagine if someone was going to P-Fix a perfect guard, that p-fix would very much cover potty breaks. All you'd do is replace on P-fixed guard with another for a short time.

That said, it would work to make the guard need to go potty, it just is useless getting YOU past the door. frown.gif
Adarael
Okay, I should have prefaced the bathroom comment: in my head, I was thinking "No other guards are on-site." My bad.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012