Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Simrig and Adept senses
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
El_Machinae
I had a wacky idea about an adept, whose 'enhanced skills' powers were geased 'while instructing/teaching only'. So, he got a simrig implanted such that he could record his actions during a run (to teach people later).

Anyway, I was wondering, if the adept has enhanced senses (vision and ultrasound, say), would the simrig pick up the enhanced version of the sense?

As well, I was wondering how the simrig information was recorded. The wording isn't very good. I see you need a simlink - but why different ratings? Couldn't you just link a pocket secretary to a datajack, and pipe out the data that way?
Lilt
In brief to your first point: No, cyberware and magic don't mix.

I don't have my books with me so I can't say for the second one.
Hasaku
I'd say the simrig picks up what the adept experiences of the sense, which may be confusing to anyone who's never had echolocation before. If he has thermo, then his playback will look like the color balance is off, to the untrained eye, because the thermo is overlaid on his normal vision.

Simrigs are specially designed pieces of cyberware for recording your sensorium - everything you taste, smell, see, hear, and feel (including emotional content I believe). That requires connections with your brain much more extensive than a mere datajack.
mfb
uh, re-read the text on page 301. you can pipe it out through a jack, dump it into headware mem, or whatever. the simlink, if you read a bit further, basically acts as a dedicated transciever, with a Flux rating equal to the Device rating / 4.
Ol' Scratch
I'd say the adept's senses would most definitely be recorded. Adept magic is physical for all intents and purposes, and a Simrig (especially due to its obscene Essence cost... and I do mean obscene considering what little the implant actually does) records everything the implanted subject senses and feels.

However, I'd personally rule that only a Full-X Simrig would pick up those magical senses, including Astral Perception. But that's just my personal ruling.

I imagine "magical" recordings are quite popular, too.
Zazen
What about senses granted by spells, the sensation of being passed by an astral form, the sensation of being possessed, etc.?
Ol' Scratch
Those would all provide sensory and emotional responses, which would be recorded but only far as the subject would be concerned. A spirit or projecting mage possessing the subject would not have his emotions or sensations recorded. Again, in my opinion and nothing more. I see no harm whatsoever in letting mundanes live vicariously through simsense-duplicated magic.
Zazen
It sounds like they'd make exceptional training tools as well. Guards should be able to take an astral-form-passing-through-you training course and see astral sight for themselves to know its strengths and weaknesses.
Siege
Actually, an external sim rig that only records baseline perceptions would be a wonderful tool for turning the adept into a walking surveillance unit.

-Siege

Edit: And El Mach? I'd laugh at you outright if you approached me with that kind of Geas. Points for imagination though. grinbig.gif
El_Machinae
I was thinking that the simrig download could be used to generate skillsofts. But, if the enhanced senses are recorded, recipient of the skill soft would have a bit of trouble because the chipped skills would depend on being able to see ultrasound (or whatever). Or if the adept had increased reflexes, and their skill depended on those reflexes - it's not like the skillsoft would be able to give the recipient boosted reflexes.

Zazan: I like your idea of security courses showing things like 'astral creepies'. And, in a chip, that would explain the difference between (say) a lvl 4 security chip and a lvl 7 chip.

Siege: I don't see why the geas wouldn't be allowed. The whole teacher/student karma is a pretty important link. Suppose the adept cannot find his skill unless he is teaching someone? Normally, that would just make him one of the better instructors out there.

Has anyone out there wondered how the really high-end skillsofts would be made? I can only guess that the companies would have to use adepts, and record their actions - no one else can come close.
Digital Heroin
p. 26 Sprawl Survival Guide states that Mana based spells and Astral perception don't show on Simsense. However, senses such as the enhanced vision, etc. are recorded. They use them often to simulate paranormals. So the Adept's powers would be recorded, unless you're talking Astral Perception.
spotlite
QUOTE (El_Machinae)
Siege: I don't see why the geas wouldn't be allowed. The whole teacher/student karma is a pretty important link. Suppose the adept cannot find his skill unless he is teaching someone? Normally, that would just make him one of the better instructors out there.

I think what he's getting at is the way you've found to get around the geas. 'Oh, I'm recording for a training session on thursday, so this run qualifies as teaching' just sounds a little, um, well, and I mean no disrespect, its just that this particular example is a bit.. munchkinny. There. I said it. I wouldn't allow it in my game, anyway. The geas in and of itself is fine, mind you, nothing wrong with it at all. Its the way you've tried to get around it. Very creative, definately points earned and all that, but just a bit... well, unlikely.

Sorry if I've offended you. I don't mean to say you're a munchkin, just that that idea is a bit munchkin-like, is all.
Zazen
QUOTE (El_Machinae)
Has anyone out there wondered how the really high-end skillsofts would be made?

Sensitive skin bioware smokin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012