Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powerfoci & Spelldrain
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
i101
Can someone tell me what kind of influnence has a Powerfoci on Spelldrain? If my PC owns a Level 3 Powerfoci and casts a Spell he gets 3 add. dices. Now after spellcasting he has to resist drain from the Spell. Does the PC gain again 3 add. dices?
Fortune
The answer depends on whether you are talking about SR3 or SR4.
i101
SR4. Sorry forgot to mention this.
Trax
No. You can only use the additional dice for one or the other, not both.
i101
Thanks for the fast answers.
Fortune
QUOTE (Trax)

Not true! In SR4, Power Foci have no effect on Drain, and cannot be used in the Drain Resistance test at all.
Orient
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Trax @ Oct 16 2007, 02:39 PM)

Not true! In SR4, Power Foci have no effect on Drain, and cannot be used in the Drain Resistance test at all.

Well, they provide extra dice for spellcasting, which means you can more comfortably withhold dice for drain resistance. Right?
i101
Corebook: P.192: A single power focus can increase a magician’s ability to cast spells ...

Shouldnt this include to resist the drain of a spoken spell too?
eidolon
Moved to appropriate forum.
Fortune
QUOTE (Orient)
Well, they provide extra dice for spellcasting, which means you can more comfortably withhold dice for drain resistance. Right?

I know you could do this in SR3, but I don't believe that you can withhold dice for Drain Resistance in SR4.
Fortune
QUOTE (i101)
Corebook: P.192: A single power focus can increase a magician’s ability to cast spells ...

Shouldnt this include to resist the drain of a spoken spell too?

No. Spellcasting (and Summoning and Banishing) Foci can be used in this manner, but Power Foci specifically cannot be used for Drain.

The FAQ has some werid wording that may or may not preclude Spellcasting Foci (and only Spellcasting Foci out of those listed above) from Drain Resistance, but I believe that will be remedied in the future.
Trax
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Trax @ Oct 16 2007, 02:39 PM)

In my defence, I was typing my response before he clarified that it was for SR4, and didn't notice it.
Fortune
It's cool. I edited and re-edited my first response 3 times because I wasn't sure which edition was being referenced. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012