Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HMHVV and You
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cheops
This came up in my game 2 sessions ago:

Team was searching the barrens for a secret research facility. The Summoner and the Face got a clue that this one hobo had his friend grabbed a week ago so they go and check out the building he squats. They get there and turns out that the guy is hiding because some ghouls moved in.

Long story short, the Summoner takes some physical damage as a result of the encounter that had a possibility of infection. The Krieger Strain is supposed to be contagious, but because Ghouls don't have Essence Drain and Infection they can't actually infect you with HMHVV.

I tried looking in the Diseases section of Augmentation but didn't find it in there. Thought it might be similar to the Magical Diseases in there. Basically I'm wondering if there are stats somewhere that I've missed or if someone out there has stated it out? Thanks.
Ancient History
To say "ghouls are different" is a bit of an understatement. Their particular method of infection (not yet addressed in SR4) has not traditionally required Essence Drain to pass along.
Zhan Shi
I could swear I saw it somewhere, but can't remember. Maybe Shadowrun Companion? I don't have that book any more, so I can't look.

Adarael
Yes. SR3's companion had the rules.
cndblank
AFAIR it took extensive and long term contact.

Someone living with the ghouls might become one.

No reported cases where it was transmitted due to an attack.

Zak
I thought that non-contagious stuff only applied to magic pixie dust PC Ghouls.
hyzmarca
It is highly contagious. Even the tiniest scratch can cause infection. Anyone who was injured in melee with a ghoul had to roll Body against a TN equal to the ghoul's Essence. Failure meant infection. Partial success also meant infection, but no symptoms. It could be treated in the first month and all PC carriers, even asymptomatic carriers, were contagious.
Mercer
Did ghouls suddenly become more infectious or were they supposed to be that infectious all along and nobody knew it? Looking at those stats, it seems like ghoul hordes would be a lot more prevalent. Those look like Night/Dawn/Day of the Living Dead style mechanics, rather than "We Don't Think Ghouls are Contagious" rules.

I remember the module in SR2 where someone had figured out how to turn people into ghouls was a pretty big change to the canon. It seems like if every 3rd person who got scratched turned into a ghoul, the CDC would've been a little more ahead of the curve on that one. Not to mention, Asamando would pretty much rule Africa.
eidolon
I'm not sure if they were as infections pre-SR3, but to answer your "it seems like they would be more prevalent", they're just as prevalent or absent as any other plot device. Devil rats are everywhere, but when is the last time you hit the PCs with them on their way to the Stuffer Shack, D&D kobold style?

Also, remember that Asamando isn't out to rule Africa, at least that I can recall. They're a nation/state vying for recognition and legal status. It's the silly "ghouls are people too" thing that they're going for (which I prefer to ignore; I like ghouls as baddies).
Ironfish
QUOTE (eidolon)
I'm not sure if they were as infections pre-SR3, but to answer your "it seems like they would be more prevalent", they're just as prevalent or absent as any other plot device. Devil rats are everywhere, but when is the last time you hit the PCs with them on their way to the Stuffer Shack, D&D kobold style?

Also, remember that Asamando isn't out to rule Africa, at least that I can recall. They're a nation/state vying for recognition and legal status. It's the silly "ghouls are people too" thing that they're going for (which I prefer to ignore; I like ghouls as baddies).

As long as we are on the subject of ghouls, is it even implied anywhere just how that Ghoul nation survives? that wou7ld require a pretty steady , not to mention large, supply of dead bodies. I would imagine that kind of import business wouldn't endear them to the neighbors. How many ghouls does it take to run a country?
Buster
The Saudi Arabian royal family only has 7000 members, so there you go: no more than 7000 ghouls are needed to control one of the wealthiest nations in the world. A banana republic in Africa would probably need far less.
hyzmarca
The United States imports more than three billion pounds of beef per year and grows between twenty seven and twenty eight billion pounds at home every year.
A ghoul needs only 90 pounds of metahuman flesh per year. Even if there were ten million ghouls is Asamando, their dead metahuman flesh importation wouldn't be extreme.
Buster
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
A ghoul needs only 90 pounds of metahuman flesh per year. Even if there were ten million ghouls is Asamando, their dead metahuman flesh importation wouldn't be extreme.

Except to the human on the chopping block. biggrin.gif
hyzmarca
The global crude death rate is 8.78. That is over 57 million dead people every year with a mean of 171 pounds per person. 171*57. That's 9.747 billion pounds of ghoul chow produced worldwide without any intervention.

And that doesn't even include medical waste. Get a SOTA cyberarm installed, something has to be done with your meat arm and there if no sense in wasting it. Appendectomies are common. So are tonsillectomies. Liposuction clinics produce pounds upon pounds of delicious fat every day. Cbereyes are extremely common.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Buster)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Oct 18 2007, 11:45 AM)

Except to the human on the chopping block. biggrin.gif

What chopping block?

A human gives up 40 kilos of real edible human meat when it dies and its body is recovered. Asamando is in fucking Nigeria where the Life Expectency today is 47 years. That means that every human in the population produces approximately 850 grams of edible human meat per year without doing anything special to them at all except pouncing on all the corpses and hauling them away before the shedim do and turn them into a public health hazard.

Every Ghoul needs approximately 40 kilos of human meat every year. Which means that having 1/47th of the population be Ghouls means that the flesh eating demands of the ghoul population don't have any effect at all on the population of the nation. And that's assuming that:
  • Ghouls can't count bones/marrow as "flesh" for purposes of metahuman flesh minimums.
  • None of the dead people are Orks or Trolls (which is false, so the actual carrying capacity is higher).

And hell, the moment your Ghoul population exceeds the natural carrying capacity of the population, you've got three options:
  • Logan's Run + Soylent Green.
  • Cloned Flesh.
  • Import corpses from other nations in Africa (which are not short of the damn things by any means).

So all in all, there's no reason why a ghoul nation need be any more dystopic than any other nation. It's my primary problem with the "Ghouls Is Virus!" plotline they introduced. Ghoulism just isn't that bad. And we already had a more horrifying version of the same thing in the setting with Loup Garou.

-Frank
Mercer
It just irks me if the mechanics and the fluff are wildly out of sync; that is to say if ghoul infection is relatively uncommon but mechanically, anyone scratched by a ghoul stands a pretty good chance of either turning into a ghoul themselves or becoming a carrier of the virus then its a little weird. If ghouls infecting people are fairly rare in the game world, it should be difficult mechanically. The game (like a movie, book or tv show) should obey its own internal logic, or verisimilitude suffers.

If you want a plot device to scare the hell out of the players, as the GM you can always make a up a new, super-rare, super-infectious strain of the ghoul virus, although you probably should tack on some sort of reason as to why those ghouls aren't taking over the world-- like maybe they go mad dog crazy and tend to be put down very quickly. That makes for a good 28 Days Later style zombie infection.

Personally, I like the idea of Asamando (not enough to look up if I'm spelling it correctly, but still). When I was running my SR Africa game, the pc's ended up there. I treated it sort of like an HMHVV Israel, and a lot of ghouls, vamps, wendigo and so on showed up there as a place to escape persecution. I like the idea of ghouls as people to. (Which doesn't preclude using them as monsters. If you look back through history, almost all our monsters were people.)
Tarantula
Just a note, its using SR3 mechanics... ghouls get a base -1 essence, can't get bioware, and take double essence loss from cyberware. Any bioware/cyberware they had upon infection is rendered inoperative by the transformation.

This means, at the base, the test is body tn (5) with only 1 hit needed to avoid becoming infection. One success gives the character some permanent effect from the disease (GM discretion, partial blindness, skin discolorations, etc), 2 the character will be sick for 10 days and feel weak and dizzy. 3 success the character fights it off with no ill effects.

Only with 0 successes is someone actually infected. The chances of the average (Body 3) person making 0 successes is low.

It is pretty hard to get infected by it.
FrankTrollman
It's more like an Israel for Ghouls. Actual essence draining monsters are incredibly unwelcome. Consider:
  • Any sort of vampire kills people without creating bodies. Ghouls don't like that, since normally all they have to do is wait and humans will drop dead on their own and turn into food.
  • Specifically Wendigo give ghouls a bad name, since they eat people who are totally alive.
  • More importantly, the favorite food of Wendigo is (I'm not kidding) Metahumans who have eaten the flesh of Metahumans. Which is to say that they hunt, kill, and eat Ghouls by preference.
  • And as if it weren't enough that Wendigo are in fact the Ghoul's most capable (and only) specific natural predator, every other kind of "Vampire" can create Wendigo accidentally just by murdering an Ork.

And so I find the prospect of Asamando being at anything other than permanent jihad against every kind of infected except the Ghoul as being patently absurd. The nation caters to creatures who don't really have any natural enemies except Wendigo, who in turn are powerful regenerating mind controlling bastards who amass small armies for no purpose other than to torture people to death, round up Ghouls and eat them while they are still alive in a painful and degrading fashion in order to maximize the emotional impact on the victim and those around them.

If you want an Israel for vampires, try Romania. If even 5% of the world's vampire population decides to wear an opera cape and declare themself a Count, then the Council of Counts has a death lock on controlling that country no matter what the original Vampire statistics were.

-Frank
kzt
I'm missing something here. If you get essence drained and killed by a vampire, there is no body? Or the body isn't usable by ghouls? Or is it something else?
Stahlseele
It just irks me if the mechanics and the fluff are wildly out of sync

things like MAGICALLY CHARGED NUKES which send out high amounts of EMP which basically means every electronics gear gets fried by it in a world where OPTICAL computing was invented half a decade ago at least?

can't get bioware

where's it say that?
if you get INFECTED during game-play, you lose everything that was bioware, as it is incorporated into your new body . . you lose most cyber aside from strictly structural things like bone lacing, dermal tech and the such . .

every ghoul caracter with cyber/bio is considered to have taken those things AFTER he became infected . . so yes, you can have bioware and cyberware that you would usually lose on becoming infected, if you start as a ghoul because you are considered ghoul before implantation and then you get the problems of less essence and doubled essence cost for cyber . .

If you get essence drained and killed by a vampire, there is no body?

of course there is a body . . if the ghoul is fast enough to get it before he comes back as a vampire . .
Apathy
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Just a note, its using SR3 mechanics... ghouls get a base -1 essence, can't get bioware, and take double essence loss from cyberware. Any bioware/cyberware they had upon infection is rendered inoperative by the transformation.

If I remember correctly, they also often took penalties to their mental stats, went blind, and took penalties to social interaction because they stank. They become permanently dual natured, which can be both a bonus and a penalty, depending on the situation, but is more often a penalty unless they're also magically active.

I remember everybody bitching back when I was playing SR3 because the rules for ghoul PCs were extremely gimped. I don't think we'll have to worry about them taking over Seattle any time soon.

And I think that there was also an anti-viral that you could take between infection and expression (if you knew you needed it) that completely eliminated the chance of infection.

Idle question: If a ghoul caught a corpse inhabited by a master shedim with regeneration, could he use it as an inexhaustable food supply?
bibliophile20
QUOTE (kzt @ Oct 18 2007, 05:15 PM)
I'm missing something here. If you get essence drained and killed by a vampire, there is no body?  Or the body isn't usable by ghouls?  Or is it something else?

It's "something else" like, say, the body getting back up and growing fangs.

EDIT:
Dammit, this is what happens when I open up a bunch of tabs and threads at once.
Stahlseele
went blind, and took penalties to social interaction because they stank

cyber-eyes and bio-ware to change body smell

If a ghoul caught a corpse inhabited by a master shedim with regeneration, could he use it as an inexhaustable food supply

technically yes . . but remember that a body which is being inhabited(sp?) by some sort of ghosts gets one hell of a toughness boost . . try to get a bite out of that when it's got something like forcex2 hardened armor *g*
and don't forget that the shedim probably won't like it too much to be used as a chew-toy and probably can feel what is done to the body . .
hyzmarca
I'm going to point out that vampires and wendigos do not have to kill. They only need a single point of essence per month, of which the average person has 5.

I'd also like to point out that having your eaten by a Wendigo while you are still alive is, in fact, an extremely fun experience. It is so fun, in fact, that most people who have had their flesh eaten by a Wendigo want to try it again. Really if a Wendigo just drains one point of Essence from a victim at a time and lets them walk away, then word of mouth advertising will soon allow him to make a decent living by charging people money to eat them.
Kerris
Was there an actual infection mechanic decided in this thread? It might be good to know.
Apathy
@ Stahlseele: True, but they will pay double essence for the fixes, and had already lost a point of essence to start with. (I guess this means that any street sam with < 1.0 essence before infection will automatically die after expression.)

@ hyzmarca: By the fluff, Wendigos might not have to kill, but they like to kill, and probably will whenever given a chance. As far as being fun, I thought the fluff was that essence transfer only required powerful emotions (lust, ecstacy, fear, horror, etc.). They say that vamps can cause addition to their bite, but I don't remember hearing that it applied to all metavarients, or that it even had to apply to vamps unless they willed it so.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Oct 18 2007, 04:25 PM)
I'm going to point out that vampires and wendigos do not have to kill. They only need a single point of essence per month, of which the average person has 5.

I'd also like to point out that having your eaten by a Wendigo while you are still alive is, in fact, an extremely fun experience. It is so fun, in fact, that most people who have had their flesh eaten by a Wendigo want to try it again.  Really if a Wendigo just drains one point of Essence from a victim at a time and lets them walk away, then word of mouth advertising will soon allow him to make a decent living by charging people money to eat them.

GAME mechanically sure . . but in the Fluff it says, that Wendigos have to eat human flesh if i remember correctly . . it also says that vampires need to SUCK YOURR BLODD! to get their fill of essence . . but with vampires and certain other essence-drainers there's the possibillity to actually getting addicted to having your essence drained . . banshee for exampe (elves with HMHVV) don't need to eat/drink anything . . they get their kick out of making people have extreme emotions. . mostly the bad ones of course, like fear, hate, anger, pain, because those are the most easy to get out of someone just by hurting them . . they don't need to kill someone or anything . . just keep someone as a prisoner and torture them regularly for some minutes/hours and they basically have live stock to feed off . .

@ Stahlseele: True, but they will pay double essence for the fixes, and had already lost a point of essence to start with. (I guess this means that any street sam with < 1.0 essence before infection will automatically die after expression.)

so? <1 essene chars die every time they get hit by SOMETHING that affects their essence, as there is NOTHING that takes away less than 1 point of essence when successfull . . only cyber can take a fraction of a point of essence . .
and ghouls only pay double essence for the eyes, they have SENSITIVE SYSTEM which doubles ESSENCE LOSS . . nothing there that affects bio-index cost, if there was no errata i am missing right now *g*
basically a dwarven ghoul magical adept would be pretty much the ultimate thing . .
but actually getting a dwarf to a be infected(mind you, +3 body dice for resisting and +1 dice for willpower) is a hard thing *g*

hmm, i got to thinking about the dwarf/ghoul/adept . .
if it is just physically blindness, why should one have to get CYBER eyes? why not just have the damaged part of his eyes be repaired? so he regains natural vision . . natural infra red vision to be precise and with that one edge natural low light too . . add to that astral sight, then add adept powers that make your eyes even better and a light system and you can basically see everything . . anyone feel like discussing this concept with me, feel free to join, as i am about to start the thread in SR3, because i don't play SR4 *g*
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Stahlseele)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Oct 18 2007, 04:25 PM)

I'd also like to point out that having your eaten by a Wendigo while you are still alive is, in fact, an extremely fun experience. It is so fun, in fact, that most people who have had their flesh eaten by a Wendigo want to try it again.  Really if a Wendigo just drains one point of Essence from a victim at a time and lets them walk away, then word of mouth advertising will soon allow him to make a decent living by charging people money to eat them.

GAME mechanically sure . . but in the Fluff it says, that Wendigos have to eat human flesh if i remember correctly . . it also says that vampires need to SUCK YOURR BLODD! to get their fill of essence . . but with vampires and certain other essence-drainers there's the possibillity to actually getting addicted to having your essence drained

Wendios must eat your flesh. People have a great deal of flesh that they never do anything with. Did you know that you can regrow half of your liver? You can. Live liver transplants are very common for this reason. They just open you up, cut your liver and half, and give half of your liver to someone else. Your liver is whole again in six weeks. You can, seriously, donate your liver six times a year if you wanted to. And you could save 6 lives every year by doing so. You don't, of course, but you could.

Wendigos only need a token amount of flesh. Half of a liver if more than enough. A single strip of skin from the upper arm will do. If cut carefully and properly bandaged, there won't even be a visible scar.

Vampires, likewise, need blood. So does the Red Cross. The Red Cross doesn't kill people to get it.

Essence Drain always causes addictive ecstasy. There is a Willpower (2) test to resist addiction. Only characters with maxed willpower can reliably resist addiction.
Stahlseele
Wendigos only need a token amount of flesh. Half of a liver if more than enough. A single strip of skin from the upper arm will do. If cut carefully and properly bandaged, there won't even be a visible scar.

Vampires, likewise, need blood. So does the Red Cross. The Red Cross doesn't kill people to get it.

Problem with this i'd say is the will-power of the HMHVV-Guy doing the draining . . if it tastes this fucking good and does mean you get to live another year or so then heck, why should you stop?

Essence Drain always causes addictive ecstasy. There is a Willpower (2) test to resist addiction. Only characters with maxed willpower can reliably resist addiction.

Willpower(TWO)? if you don't need at least 4 successes why should only people with maxed willpower make this saving throw? ok, wound-modifiers for example *g*
NightRain
QUOTE (Stahlseele)

Willpower(TWO)? if you don't need at least 4 successes why should only people with maxed willpower make this saving throw? ok, wound-modifiers for example *g*

He said reliably. On average, 1 in 3 dice will come up successes. So, to reliably get 2 successes, you need 6 dice. Of course, you can get 2 successes with less dice, but with much less reliability. Most times you won't get 2 successes on 4 dice for example, even though it's technically possible
FrankTrollman
Technically it is possibl for there to somewhere be a responsible wendigo. Heck, you could have a Wendigo cybertechnician who ate body parts he was removing anyway and installed devices in the holes. With his tremendous magical powers, there's no reason for anyone to know he was a wendigo (or even an ork).

But that would be extremely atypical wendigo behavior. Let's recap the description:

QUOTE (Wendigo)
Typically they induce victims to participate in a canibalistic feast. This creates an apparent psychological dependence in the victim, who then helps the wendigo in spreading its habit, thus creating a secret society of canibals. The members of the group are unaware that they ultimately will become meals for the wendigo, which seems to prefer the Essence of such corrupted victims.

While technically a wendigo has the same dietary requirement limitation as a ghoul does (and thus only needs more human flesh because it personally is much more massive than a typical ghoul); in practice typical wendigo behavior involves not "taking a bite out of dudes occassionally" but "inducing victims to partake in canibalistic feasts" and eventually have its victims "become" its meals.

Canibalistic feasts implies, at least to me, that we are talking "Blood Diner" or "Parents" and not Communion.

-Frank
DTFarstar
And now I want to play a wendigo cybertechnician..... Thank you, Frank.

Chris
Mercer
I thought wendigos were covered in fur-- I guess the cybertechnician could pass for ork if he got a weekly full-body wax, but being persecuted might be less painful.

As for HMHVV persecution in Asamando, I disagree with Frank's take on it. While wendigo who hunt and kill ghouls might find the well running dry there (much the same as anyone who kills ghouls would), they all have a variation on the same disease, they all are persecuted to varying degrees in most other places in the world, and thematically, they're all hit with the same stick.

Even if they disallowed wendigo (and given that wendigos were based on cannibal spirits who corrupted people to eat human flesh, and ghouls were corrupted beforehand, wendigo might not like HMHVV-infected flesh), they're are still formorians, dzoo-noo-qua, vampires, banshees, nosferatu, and goblins, as well as my personal favorite, the bandersnatch, and whomever else got added to the list since I stopped paying close attention. Of that list, the bandersnatchi would probably be the least likely to get a tourist visa, but I like invisible vampiric sasquatches, so I'd probably figure out a way to include them.

For me, what I liked best about Asamando when I was running my SR Africa game was the odd concept of ghoul statesmen. You take what is usually one step removed from a wandering monster in a lot of games, and you give them a corner of the world they are trying to make their homeland. Thematically, from that persepective, it made sense for them to accept vampires and the other HMHVV-infected people (even the loup-garou, even if they considered them charity cases) because there was more that united them than divided them, and they were hated by a lot of the same people. Ghouls still remained the vast majority of the people, but it was a place where any HMHVV could come and be free from the persecution that was associated with their disease.

Asamando (still not checking the spelling), oddly, was not the worst place profiled in Cyberpirates, a book which-- the caribbean chapter aside-- I thought really set the bar for dystopian settings in the Shadowrun world. The ghouls could pursue a jihad against vampires or whoever else they wanted, but since there were probably relatively few there when they took over and fewer still turning up to get killed, it wouldn't make much difference. Or, they could open their diseased hearts to any and all who shared their affliction, so that they too could live in a place free of the prejudice and persecution. Asamando (in my game) was a place where ghouls didn't have to be monsters, they could just be people.

Your mileage may vary.
Apathy
QUOTE (Mercer)
Even if they disallowed wendigo [...], they're are still formorians, dzoo-noo-qua, vampires, banshees, nosferatu, and goblins, as well as my personal favorite, the bandersnatch, and whomever else got added to the list since I stopped paying close attention.

Dzoo-noo-qua aren't believed to be sapient, so I doubt they'd be welcomed (except perhaps as pets).
Fortune
QUOTE (Mercer)
I thought wendigos were covered in fur ...

I have always thought (inspired by the first novel trilogy) that Wendigos 'wolf out' when they do their big evil bit, but at other times appear normal.
eidolon
QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 19 2007, 08:55 AM)
QUOTE (Mercer @ Oct 19 2007, 11:52 PM)
I thought wendigos were covered in fur ...

I have always thought (inspired by the first novel trilogy) that Wendigos 'wolf out' when they do their big evil bit, but at other times appear normal.

QUOTE (SR4)
A wendigo is an ork infected with HMHVV.  It appears as a white-furred humanoid standing about 2.3 meters tall.

However, they are all magicians.

QUOTE (SR4)
Some wendigos use illusion magic to disguise themselves and walk unseen among their prey.
FrankTrollman
Wendigo look like huge orks covered in white shag.

However they are all capable of using magic and many of them can wrap themselves in Illusions to bypass the looks of horror from crowds. All of them have mind control powers and can force individual people to find it totally normal and reasonable that there is a huge hairy man ripping some little girl in half and offering them gobbets of the tastier organs.

Ghoulism is not a minor variation on other kinds of vampirism. It is structurally fundamentally completely different. Ghouls change from human to Ghoul without going through an intermediate stage of dying. Saying that a Ghoul is like a Wendigo is like saying that an Adept is like an Insect Spirit because they both have magically increased strength.

Ghouls are scavengers. They eat the bodies of the dead. It's gross, but it's not specifically harmful. Vampires are the risen corpses of the dead who prowl the night as predators hunting the humans that they used to be. One of the first steps to Ghoul acceptance is the dispelling of the illusion that HMHVV is "all the same" and that vampires and ghouls are alike in any way at all.

They aren't. Ghouls don't consume Essence. Ghouls never died in order to become the way they are. Ghouls are capable of having children. These children in turn can be Ghouls whether or not they carry the virus. Ghouls don't eat the living.

There is a virus which some Ghouls have which, if it infects you may or may not cause you to turn into a ghoul. There are ghouls who don't have this virus and non-ghouls who have the virus. Every single Vampire has a specific virus. If that virus is removed, the vampire is dead. A vampire can only pass this virus to a non vampire by killing that person, and then if it takes a new vampire is created out of the corpse.

Vampires of all types are the worst thing for Ghouls. They give ghouls a bad name internationally, they confuse the very real issues of ghoul rights, and periodically they create the ghoul's only natural enemy. If I was a ghoul and the head of state allowed vampires into Lagos under any auspices, I would meat cleaver that head of state and demand a recount.

-Frank
Fortune
QUOTE (eidolon)
However, they are all magicians.

QUOTE (SR4)
Some wendigos use illusion magic to disguise themselves and walk unseen among their prey.

Yeah well, senility and all. It's been a while. biggrin.gif
Apathy
Does anybody have the SR3 Companion rules for infecting PCs with ghoul strain HMHVV? I don't have it with me now, but I remember thinking at the time that the chances of significant mental stat loss was pretty harsh. Aren't both the benifits and the drawbacks somewhat variable depending on how the PC rolls?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Apathy)
Does anybody have the SR3 Companion rules for infecting PCs with ghoul strain HMHVV? I don't have it with me now, but I remember thinking at the time that the chances of significant mental stat loss was pretty harsh. Aren't both the benifits and the drawbacks somewhat variable depending on how the PC rolls?

The SR3 Companion rules are widely disliked on the grounds that the ghouls generated by those charts do not even vaguely resemble the NPC ghouls found in 2st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th edition.

The table involves making a Willpower test and then comparing the results to a chart to determine how much your Int and Charisma drop. They may not drop at all. On the other hand, your physical stats never ever go up as much as the physical stats of every single NPC who transforms into a Ghoul, so it made a lot of people froth in rage.

-Frank
eidolon
Of course, take all qualifiers (such as "widely", "lot of", etc.) with a grain of salt in any internet conversation.

Experts say that 99% of all statistics are made up.
Fortune
QUOTE (eidolon)
Of course, take all qualifiers (such as "widely", "lot of", etc.) with a grain of salt in any internet conversation.

In this case it's pretty true though. biggrin.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Apathy)
QUOTE (Mercer @ Oct 19 2007, 08:52 AM)
Even if they disallowed wendigo [...], they're are still formorians, dzoo-noo-qua, vampires, banshees, nosferatu, and goblins, as well as my personal favorite, the bandersnatch, and whomever else got added to the list since I stopped paying close attention.

Dzoo-noo-qua aren't believed to be sapient, so I doubt they'd be welcomed (except perhaps as pets).

ahem, in the AGS Troll-Kingdom-Schwarzwald they actually are regarded as a usual citizen . . even if they are looked at with a little bit of unease and a watchfull eye . .
CircuitBoyBlue
In the last campaign I was in, we had a player character get infected on his first mission. As the GM, I was going to have mercy on him and fudge some dice rolls until we saw that it actually made him really badass. He rolled pretty well on the chart, and so he took just a little hit to mental stats (I think it was just a -1 CHA?). In the meantime, being a ghoul shaman that had been geared toward close combat made him really awesome. He was all set to start swinging around his weapon focus axe, and get the necessary spells to hide his ghoulness. Unfortunately, the player just wasn't able to make it after that. We just used his character as an NPC from then on, sort of an awesome security device ("you don't want to break in THERE, bro. Those dudes have a ghoul shaman with a combat axe living in the basement..."). Added slightly to the upkeep when the runners had to provide fresh corpses every now and then (we were under the impression it took WAY more than 90 lbs. a year to keep a ghoul fed). Since then, the player that ran the shaman has really really been wanting to recreate the character, but hasn't had the chance since you really can't make a character that badass at generation. I'm in a 4th ed. group with the guy now, and he's playing a shaman, but I'm not sure it would turn out the same...
Mercer
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Vampires of all types are the worst thing for Ghouls. They give ghouls a bad name internationally, they confuse the very real issues of ghoul rights, and periodically they create the ghoul's only natural enemy. If I was a ghoul and the head of state allowed vampires into Lagos under any auspices, I would meat cleaver that head of state and demand a recount.

-Frank

Well, the only thing for it is for you and I to run for president of the ghoul nation; you as a isolationist, I as a inclusionist, and we let the voters decide. Also, I think that ghouls already have a bad name internationally ("ghoul" is itself a derogatory term), and the issues of ghoul rights are the same as those of the vamps-- how do you live when the whole world calls you a monster?

I get what you're saying, that ghouls and vamps (I'll just use "vamps" as a blanket term for all the Ess Drain HMHVVers) have fundamentally different expressions of the same virus, but I'm sayng its still the same virus. If one of each were getting lynched by some of the less enlightened people in the world (which the fluff says is the vast majority), I doubt the ghoul would have much luck explaining that the vamp drains life and he eats dead bodies and therefore they're completely different and he should be let go.

Plus, I am operating on the assumption that there are a lot fewer vamps than there are ghouls, and fewer still who are actually going to show up in Asamando. So its not like the ghoul nation is accepting client states of vamps, but rather individuals. Individuals who may have personal wealth or magical powers (vamps tend to be in a better tax bracket as well as powerful magicians), and since Asamando is surrounded by hostile neighbors and stands little chance of forging strong diplomatic ties to the outside world, it seems like they'd want as many people (using the term loosely) as possible on their side.

I mean, yeah, at this point we're arguing which course of action imaginary groups of people in a fictional setting would take, so there's plenty of room for a difference of opinion. Including vamps in Asamando worked best for me when I was running my SR Africa game; like I say, YMMV.

I'll also point out-- in the interest of full disclosure, to recognize a possible bias-- that even though I'm not a big vampire person (I don't wear black eyeliner or read Anne Rice or things of that nature), I have run several SR games that included vamps in significant ways. I have in fact run more vampire-related Shadowrun games than Vampire games (if only because I ran three vampire games longer than one-shots, and those three really didn't have that many vampires in them). So it was perhaps a foregone conclusion that I would stick vamps in my Africa game, and Asamando was one of the places I stuck them.

Stahlseele
Well, the only thing for it is for you and I to run for president of the ghoul nation; you as a isolationist, I as a inclusionist, and we let the voters decide.

and they vote both of you as dinner *g*
Mercer
Well, I will say that its possible that politics and cannibalism are redundant.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012