Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drone questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Alphastream

Hi everyone,

I recently made an SR4 rigger-smuggler. I basically took the two archetypes and combined them in various ways. I did find a few things that confused me when it came time to finish up the PC, especially around gear:

1. Autosofts: The archetypes have 1 autosoft of several types. Does a rigger only need one autosoft for all their drones, or do they actually need one for each drone (my take). I was confused by the archetypes having 1 command for several drones. If I need to copy them, can I use the normal copying software rules?

2. Programs: The archetypes have Command, ECCM, Encrypt, Scan, Stealth. Command is very useful, Stealth would help hide from Analyze, but then I am not sure what Scan and Encrypt do for Riggers. It also sounds like Analyze is needed for the Matrix Perception test (to be able to steal drones), and Spoof to take them over. Maybe also Track for finding an enemy rigger's location. What do others think?

3. Sniffer program: Electronic Warfare and Sniffer are used to intercept a wireless link. What does the use of the program really do? Can I cut off an enemy drone from a rigger? How does using this skill play out?

4. Commlink: I found it hard to figure out how costs are done for the commlinks the archetypes have. Is it best to start with the base of the highest-rated comm + OS? And then, how do you correctly add the upgrades to level 5? The gear section lists prices, but I'm not clear if those are upgrades (and each rating is paid for) or if that is for custom new commlinks (commlink cost 0, then add in total rating). Very confused!

5. Reality Filter: Does this apply to drones? (Seems like it should, since they are devices).

6. Rigger Adaptation: How exactly does a rigger add this to a vehicle they find? p.238 SR4 suggests some technical skill. Which, and what kind of threshold and cost?

7. Drone purchase: How do I calculate the cost for modifying the drones to make them better like the archetypes did?

Thanks!
DireRadiant
1. COmmand runs on your commlink, You only have one commlink.
2. Scan helps you find node/drones, encrypt will encrypt your commands
3. SNiffer helps find other wire;less communications. Jammers are used to cut off communication.
4. Your choice, either way works, though usually people tend to favor the cheaper option.
5. Yes, it would if you logged into a drone and used it as a node, when you use command less likely. You won't really get much benefit as a rigger since you are operating out of your own commlink almost all the time.
6. Use b/r skills and tables. Cost is the rigger adaptation cost 2,500 plus whatever your gm wants to add.
7. Similar to COmmlink upgrades, It won't be more then buying it at full price, and a lot of people want to argue for just paying the difference for some reason.

Use search, there are lots of discussions on drones, and also view the FAQ, you will find anwsers about which dice pools to use.
DireRadiant
Stealing Drone thread ongoing right now
Alphastream
1. Autosofts:

Ok, but Command is not an Autosoft. Autosofts seem to run on drones. (For example, Maneuver says on p240 "They contain a comprehensive guide to a drone's particular specs").
So, if they run on the drones, then are the Archetypes assumed to just copy them for free for each drone because they had to do so? Is that legal for character creation? Or do I need to pay for each autosoft for each drone, and the archetype is in error? (I play SR Missions, so I want a legal character).

2. Programs:

I apologize, but I'm still confused, especially on how this plays out during the game. On the stealing drones thread, it sounded like most thought you would begin with a Matrix Perception test, which would use Analyze. I would think Scan would show you the rigger while Analyze would show the drones, is that right? Analyze says it gathers data on nodes, etc. and Scan says it locates wireless devices. Would that mean we have to use Scan first to find Drones, then Analyze for the Matrix Perception Test to then be able to Spoof? (It doesn't say Scan is needed under Spoof).

On Encrypt, I understand it, but how does it play out? If I don't encrypt, it doesn't seem to make it any easier for my drones to be stolen. Does it just mean that an enemy could listen in on my commands to the drones? Any other effect?

3. Sniffer program:
3. SNiffer helps find other wire;less communications. Jammers are used to cut off communication.

Reading more closely, it seems Sniffer is used for eavesdropping. It doesn't seem to be useful for a rigger (at least not for rigging), right?

4. Commlink:
4. Your choice, either way works, though usually people tend to favor the cheaper option.

I need the one that is legal for SR Missions, so I guess that would mean the full cost. If I look at the Archetypes, though, they have commlinks such as:
Fairlight caliban w/Firewall 5, System 5, Response 5, modified for BTL/Hot Sim.
Now, if I were to buy a Fairlight, I would pay 8k. Modifying the Firewall would be 2500. I think so far so good, since I don't see a way to buy signal and you probably need to buy some commlink model.
So, then for the OS, I could buy a decent model, but if the upgrades are full cost, would I A) buy the cheapest (Vector XIM, 200 nuyen.gif) and then buy System 5 and Firewall 5 (5k nuyen.gif total, plus 200 for the Vector XIM), or can I B) just buy the System and Firewall?.

6. Rigger Adaptation: How exactly does a rigger add this to a vehicle they find? p.238 SR4 suggests some technical skill. Which, and what kind of threshold and cost?
6. Use b/r skills and tables. Cost is the rigger adaptation cost 2,500 plus whatever your gm wants to add.

I'm still confused, I really apologize. Page 238 suggests that the Rigger Adaptation can be either purchased or adapted quickly by a rigger. Are you saying that I still need to buy it at full cost even if I make it?
If I did add it, just to learn, I would guess it is, based on the wording of being "adapted quickly" as a Basic/Easy fix. That would mean Threshold 4. Having a workshop is I assume default working conditions, default tools, and then I assume there is a working from Memory penalty if you have a low logic. Though I would think there could be plans available anywhere for common vehicles. I don't see intervals listed, so maybe that's GM call. An hour sound right?
So, does it just take a Logic + Automotive Mechanic (4, 1 hour) extended test and then 2,500 nuyen.gif. Or is something else needed and/or can I skip the Nuyen because it describes it as a simple modification. (In general, does making something reduce cost at all? I would think it would - going to radio shack and using my toolkit can save me hundreds in RL).

7. Upgrading Drones:
Ok, so an archetype has the GM-Nissan Doberman with Pilot 4, Signal 4, Firewall 4, response 4. For that, I would need to:
- Buy the drone: 3,000 (comes with pilot 3, sig ?, firewall ?, response ?)
- Buy pilot 4: 10,000!
- Buy Signal 4: 500
- Buy Firewall 4: 2,000
- Buy Response 4: 2,000
Total: 17,500 nuyen.gif

Is that right?

8. New question. I'm not a huge cheese monkey, but if I want to play it a bit smart, as one of the archetype riggers, what would I want to not purchase and try to code/build/program myself?

Thanks!
Dashifen
QUOTE (Alphastream)
1. Autosofts:

Ok, but Command is not an Autosoft. Autosofts seem to run on drones. (For example, Maneuver says on p240 "They contain a comprehensive guide to a drone's particular specs").
So, if they run on the drones, then are the Archetypes assumed to just copy them for free for each drone because they had to do so? Is that legal for character creation? Or do I need to pay for each autosoft for each drone, and the archetype is in error? (I play SR Missions, so I want a legal character).

It's conceivable that the archetypes either (a) don't have enough autosofts and/or (b) that they've broken the copy protection on the software and copy it as necessary. Some GMs do allow this at character generation (e.g., me) but others don't. You'll find that much of the matrix rules are up to the GM and how nice/nasty he or she feels like being. The rules for cracking software are just after the section on Programs in the matrix chapter.

QUOTE (Alphastream)
2. Programs:

I apologize, but I'm still confused, especially on how this plays out during the game. On the stealing drones thread, it sounded like most thought you would begin with a Matrix Perception test, which would use Analyze. I would think Scan would show you the rigger while Analyze would show the drones, is that right? Analyze says it gathers data on nodes, etc. and Scan says it locates wireless devices. Would that mean we have to use Scan first to find Drones, then Analyze for the Matrix Perception Test to then be able to Spoof? (It doesn't say Scan is needed under Spoof).

On Encrypt, I understand it, but how does it play out? If I don't encrypt, it doesn't seem to make it any easier for my drones to be stolen. Does it just mean that an enemy could listen in on my commands to the drones? Any other effect?

Scan will show you any node in the area with a Detect Wireless Nodes test. With that you could see the nodes created both by the rigger's commlink and the rigger's drones. Then, depending on how you want to hack, you would need to perform different actions against one or more nodes for which you scanned.

To Spoof you need to pretend your a legitimate user of the device. In order to pretend that you are that legitimate user, you need to analyze their icon to find out their matrix identifier. Once you've done that, you can use that identifier to Spoof. You're right, it doesn't say anything about that under Spoof specifically, but it does say that you'll need the ID and to get the ID you need to Analyze.

QUOTE (Alphastream)
3. Sniffer program:

Reading more closely, it seems Sniffer is used for eavesdropping. It doesn't seem to be useful for a rigger (at least not for rigging), right?

It depends on how you want to hack. You could use Sniffer to perform an Intercept Wireless Signal action to listen in on the communication between a legitimate rigger and their drones. Then, once you're listening in, you could block commands that you don't like and/or edit in your own commands. This would be one way to avoid using Analyze and Spoof as in #2 above.

QUOTE (Alphastream)
4. Commlink:

I need the one that is legal for SR Missions, so I guess that would mean the full cost. If I look at the Archetypes, though, they have commlinks such as:
Now, if I were to buy a Fairlight, I would pay 8k. Modifying the Firewall would be 2500. I think so far so good, since I don't see a way to buy signal and you probably need to buy some commlink model.
So, then for the OS, I could buy a decent model, but if the upgrades are full cost, would I A) buy the cheapest (Vector XIM, 200 nuyen.gif) and then buy System 5 and Firewall 5 (5k nuyen.gif total, plus 200 for the Vector XIM), or can I B) just buy the System and Firewall?.

This one tends to be based on the GM. For the way that it works in Missions, you're best bet is to either how the_dunner (Missions Coordinator) notices this thread (I'll point him in this direction) and/or ask in the dedicated Missions forum. I always allow people to buy the cheap commlink and upgrade it if they've got the appropriate skills to do so, but if they do not, then they're stuck paying for the expensive models and operating systems like Joe or Jane Average.

QUOTE (Alphastream)

I'm still confused, I really apologize. Page 238 suggests that the Rigger Adaptation can be either purchased or adapted quickly by a rigger. Are you saying that I still need to buy it at full cost even if I make it?
If I did add it, just to learn, I would guess it is, based on the wording of being "adapted quickly" as a Basic/Easy fix. That would mean Threshold 4. Having a workshop is I assume default working conditions, default tools, and then I assume there is a working from Memory penalty if you have a low logic. Though I would think there could be plans available anywhere for common vehicles. I don't see intervals listed, so maybe that's GM call. An hour sound right?
So, does it just take a Logic + Automotive Mechanic (4, 1 hour) extended test and then 2,500 nuyen.gif. Or is something else needed and/or can I skip the Nuyen because it describes it as a simple modification. (In general, does making something reduce cost at all? I would think it would - going to radio shack and using my toolkit can save me hundreds in RL).

I think that page 238 is indicating that purchasing and attaching the hardware for Rigger Adaptation to a vehicle that doesn't come with it isn't a hard thing to do. Based on that, the guidelines that you mention above seem perfect to me. I'd require the nuyen because you have to buy the hardware in order to install it.

QUOTE (Alphastream)
7. Upgrading Drones:
Ok, so an archetype has the GM-Nissan Doberman with Pilot 4, Signal 4, Firewall 4, response 4. For that, I would need to:
- Buy the drone: 3,000 (comes with pilot 3, sig ?, firewall ?, response ?)
- Buy pilot 4: 10,000!
- Buy Signal 4: 500
- Buy Firewall 4: 2,000
- Buy Response 4: 2,000
Total: 17,500 nuyen.gif

Is that right?

Signal, firewall, and response can be said to be equal to the drone's device rating, which can be found in the table on page 214. But, other than that, it looks like you're correct in the cost to me.

QUOTE (Alphastream)
8. New question. I'm not a huge cheese monkey, but if I want to play it a bit smart, as one of the archetype riggers, what would I want to not purchase and try to code/build/program myself?

I would purchase everything. You generally have more than enough nuyen to make your purchases at character generation. If you're strapped for cash, remember to look at what Programs are used with extended tests and which are other tests. For those which use extended tests, especially the ones like Browse which are used more often in less stressful situations, you can afford to purchase the programs at a lower rating than the character generation (useful) maximum of 5.

I say useful maximum because programs are capped by a device's system rating which, at character generation has a maximum - due to availability - of 5. Thus, purchasing programs at higher ratings could be wasteful unless you want to try and program a better System.

But, since the programming times are usually on the order of months, rolling your own code can be nigh impossible for a fast paced game.

As for building things, I've never seen anyone build something from scratch; there's no rules for that. But we've modified existing drones using the build/repair rules in the Skills chapter. For example, we have flyspies which syringes of narcoject attached and that rigger intends on trying to create little flying buzzsaw drones, too.
the_dunner
QUOTE (Dashifen)
QUOTE (Alphastream)
4. Commlink:

This one tends to be based on the GM. For the way that it works in Missions, you're best bet is to either how the_dunner (Missions Coordinator) notices this thread (I'll point him in this direction) and/or ask in the dedicated Missions forum.

Dashifen asked me to stick my nose in on this one, so:

Using the hardware upgrade table on p.240 is completely cool. That's subject, of course, to the usual availability restrictions. (So, effectively, you're limited to rating 5 in both.)

For System and Firewall, you can just use the table on p.228 and buy as appropriate. You don't need to buy a pre-named OS and upgrade it. (So, a rating 6 System and Firewall would be 6000¥.)

HTH!
NightRain
QUOTE (Dashifen)
It depends on how you want to hack. You could use Sniffer to perform an Intercept Wireless Signal action to listen in on the communication between a legitimate rigger and their drones. Then, once you're listening in, you could block commands that you don't like and/or edit in your own commands. This would be one way to avoid using Analyze and Spoof as in #2 above.

Ok, spoofing commands I get, but how exactly do you block commands you don't like without hacking the drone or the commlink sending the commands? Once you've detected the command you want to block, the drone has received it as well, meaning its too late to block...
Dashifen
Not so, says I! Page 225:

To  perform  an  Intercept  Wireless  Signal  action,  make  an
Electronic Warfare + Sniffer (3) Test. Once the signal is intercept-
ed, you can monitor the traffic and even copy/record/forward it
without making any more Intercept Wireless Signal actions. If you
want to block out some parts of the traffic or add in your own, you
must make an Edit action.

Once you've intercepted the wireless signal, you can thusly control what the drone and/or rigger receive with the edit program. Note that if the signal is encrypted, you'd have to decrypt it before your could edit it. Even though this decryption may only take a few passes (or one, with a powerful enough commlink versus weak encryption) it's still a few more passes that you're focused on hacking and not slaughter.

In my games, such an edit has a threshold of the rating of the opposing rigger's Command program plus 1. In other words, the better the Command program used to send information to the drone, the more difficult it is to insert commands into the wireless data stream and have the drone not notice that something weird has gone on. Failure to reach the threshold results in the drone sending back a "WTF?!" message to its rigger, which may tip him/her off. Glitches usually fire off Trace IC running on the drone to find the hacker while the drone sends "OMGWTF!?" the rigger.

This year, I'm toying with removing the Command program from the game (so far, so good) and, in this case, the threshold would be the opposing rigger's system + 1.

While the actual alteration of wireless radio signals "midstream" like this ins't really possible in the real world, if I understand correctly, I think of it more like you re-route the other rigger's data through your node and then onto the drone when you intercept the wireless signal. As such, you can alter key pieces of information in the stream on the fly similar to how DNS based internet attacks can send you to phishing sites even though you've entered the correct URL of your bank.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Alphastream)
1. Autosofts:

Because "Prior to game starting Free Cracking|Training|Gain interest on my checking account|Montage" time is not part of the character build process I, in my personal opinion) tend not to allow this "free" cracking tests prior to a game with a starting character.

Note that for SR Missions there is specifically set aside a character calendar between Mission times for exactly thsi kind of stuff to occur and be recorded on the Missions results sheet. Any Missions GM would be happy to allow you to make the rolls for cracking between Missions.

So at the worst you'll get the time between a couple Missions to crack software.

It's only one complex action to load a program between devices anyway, so any dorne you send off on it's own that needs the autosoft you can send off with the copy, while you jump into one that doesn't for example.
Alphastream
This has been really helpful for me thus far.

I started working on drones, and had some trouble with how the archetypes' drones/vehicles were purchased.

The first is the smuggler's GMC Bulldog. This is 35,000 nuyen.gif .
Then it has a weapon mount, 2,500.
Then it has a White Knight LMG with, say, 100 rnds of explosive ammo, 2,500

Then I get to the hard part. The archetypes say the vehicle has Pilot 4, Firewall, Signal, Response 4.

The vehicle is a device with rating 3 (vehicle), so the settings are all 3 initially. However, it sounds like all new ratings are at full cost, not upgrades, and probably can't be sold.

So, Pilot 4 is 10,000.
Firewall 4 is 2,000.
Signal 4 is 500
Response 4 is 2,000.

Total vehicle cost is 57,000 nuyen.gif !

Can that be right?

The GMC-Nissan Doberman is much better. Per the FAQ, it is rating 4. So, the only upgrade is to the pilot, plus the weapon.
Base cost 3,000.
Ingram with 100 rnds, 2,500.
Pilot 4, 10,000.
Total: 15,500:nuyen:.

Finally, the MCT-Nissan Roto Drone with ratings 4. It is initially rating 3 (not a security drone). So:
Base cost: 2,000.
Pilot 4: 10,000.
Firewall, response, signal 4: 4,500.
Total: 16,500 nuyen.gif

Does that sound like what the archetypes did and what I should do for a legal SR Missions character?

Is there anything I can legally (SR Missions) do to lower the cost?
- Can I purchase the drones at normal ratings, then copy the software from one vehicle to the next (Firewall and Pilot are software)?
- Anything else?

Thanks!
Buster
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Oct 22 2007, 09:11 PM)
While the actual alteration of wireless radio signals "midstream" like this ins't really possible in the real world, if I understand correctly, I think of it more like you re-route the other rigger's data through your node and then onto the drone when you intercept the wireless signal.  As such, you can alter key pieces of information in the stream on the fly similar to how DNS based internet attacks can send you to phishing sites even though you've entered the correct URL of your bank.

Nightrain and Dashifen are correct, the statement on p. 225 that says you can edit a wireless transmission in mid-flight completely breaks the laws of physics. It's the classic writers' error of "it's just like wired hacking, but without wires!" Wireless transmissions are broadcast in a field, not constricted to a wire, so there's no way to capture the transmission, cut it off, edit the original transmission, then rebroadcast it.

You'd have to detect the enemy transmission and jam it faster than the speed of light before it travels past you at the speed of light to the target, while still being able to read it yourself through your jamming signal, then edit that information and re-transmit it (through your jamming signal) to the target.

You could always say that Technomancers can do it because they're magic, but otherwise you'll need some Star Trek level technology to be able to pull that trick off.
Jaid
QUOTE (Alphastream)
<snip>

Does that sound like what the archetypes did and what I should do for a legal SR Missions character?

Is there anything I can legally (SR Missions) do to lower the cost?
- Can I purchase the drones at normal ratings, then copy the software from one vehicle to the next (Firewall and Pilot are software)?
- Anything else?

Thanks!

that is what the archetypes should have done, yes.

you could indeed cut costs by spending your first mission with only 1 pilot 4 program, crack it during downtime, and then installing it on all of your drones/vehicles (note: it is a reasonably common houserule to decide that a doberman pilot is a completely different program to, say, a GMC Bulldog, and is especially different from a Renraku Stormcloud pilot. check with your GM, or if you are GM, decide now which you will use).

as far as why the smuggler would want the van, well... you can't load half a ton of smuggled goods into a doberman, that's why =D
Alphastream
QUOTE (Jaid)
as far as why the smuggler would want the van, well... you can't load half a ton of smuggled goods into a doberman, that's why =D

Thanks! And yeah, I did know what the smuggler bought the van for, just didn't understand the cost-effectiveness of paying an extra 20k largely for 1 extra die on some tests. Doing that for the van and a drone ends up being pretty pricey.
Jaid
QUOTE (Alphastream)
QUOTE (Jaid @ Oct 27 2007, 11:19 AM)

Thanks! And yeah, I did know what the smuggler bought the van for, just didn't understand the cost-effectiveness of paying an extra 20k largely for 1 extra die on some tests. Doing that for the van and a drone ends up being pretty pricey.

oh, so you were wondering why he blew all that cash upgrading the van, then... yeah, there i can't help you. other than to suggest it may be the same reason some archetypes spent more BPs learning social skills than they gained from being uncouth...
Alphastream
Now I've of course come up with another question.

Sensor plays a strong role in targeting and perception tests for drones. I don't see a way to update this. For the strict interpretation of SR Missions, I need it to be in the book to use it. I see lots of sensor enhancements, like cameras, mics, etc., but nothing that raises a Sensor rating. Is there any way to do so?

Or are we stuck with drones that have trouble spotting their target?

Thanks!
DireRadiant
FAQ

QUOTE (FAQ)
Do drones (and rigged vehicles) come with any sort of sensors (e.g., cameras, microphones)? If they do, what are they?

Yes, as you'll see on p. 342, SR4, each of them has a Sensor attribute. If you want to determine what specific sensors a drone has, see the Sensor packages table on p. 325, SR4. You can use the capacity for the vehicle's sensor package to determine what kind of sensor gear it has.

There's no Sensor attribute upgrade that I know of in the main book.

However. You can buy a Clearsight autosoft. p. 239

"Clearsight
Clearsight autosoft s improve the Pilot’s cognitive abilities,
allowing it to better analyze and judge sensory input. A drone
with this autosoft rolls Sensor + Clearsight for Sensor Tests
(see p. 162)."

You could also buy specific sensor packages that come with visual enhancement included. p. 324

"Vision Enhancement: Vision enhancement gives the
character sharper vision. It adds its rating as a positive dice
pool modifier to the user’s visual Perception Tests."

As part of a sensor package. See p. 325

In my opinion, if a player wants to somehow get all senses for free with a base sensor package because of the FAQ that's a bit much, I'd ask they pay to upgrade or get specific sensor types ifi they want it.

Alphastream
I was aware of the FAQ and Clearsight, but thanks for taking the time to copy the info in. I do appreciate it!

So, a Rigger could purchase a sensor with a visual enhancement, put it on their drone, and then the drone would get the bonus to perception and attack checks? That's cool.

Thanks!
Simon May
QUOTE (Buster)
Nightrain and Dashifen are correct, the statement on p. 225 that says you can edit a wireless transmission in mid-flight completely breaks the laws of physics. It's the classic writers' error of "it's just like wired hacking, but without wires!" Wireless transmissions are broadcast in a field, not constricted to a wire, so there's no way to capture the transmission, cut it off, edit the original transmission, then rebroadcast it.

You'd have to detect the enemy transmission and jam it faster than the speed of light before it travels past you at the speed of light to the target, while still being able to read it yourself through your jamming signal, then edit that information and re-transmit it (through your jamming signal) to the target.

You could always say that Technomancers can do it because they're magic, but otherwise you'll need some Star Trek level technology to be able to pull that trick off.

Considering the way the wireless mesh of nodes works, if a wireless signal was traveling from commlink A to node B to node C to node D to it's end destination at commlink/drone E, if you were to hack one of the nodes and edit it there before it rebroadcasts, I don't see an issue. I agree that a direct transmission would be uneditable, but as long as there's an intermediary, you shouldn't have an issue making changes.

Of course, if the transmission uses multiple nodes in parallel for relay, then comparison will easily root out the changes. This will also slow down the transmission, though, as each node will be checkinbg multiple parts against each other to repair any errors.
Alphastream
An additional question (surprise, surprise).

The drone-using archetypes have Smartlink cyberwear. How does this play out with Drones?

1) If you put a smartlink-equipped weapon on the drone, and operated via full VR, would you get the +2 smartlink bonus to ranged attacks? (Gunnery + Sensor +2).

2) If you put a smartlink-equipped weapon on the drone, how could it get the bonus to its ranged attacks (normally Targeting Autosoft Rating + Pilot)? Would you need to buy a Smartlink enhancement (500:nuyen:, p.323-324)? Would you also need an ImageLink (25:nuyen:, p.323-324)? Would you need anything else?

3) If you purchase a weapon with a laser sight for a drone, would anything else be needed? Would the laser sight alone add its +1die to the drone's attacks and also to any attacks made by the rigger when fully jumped into the drone?

Thanks!
Jaid
QUOTE (Alphastream)
I was aware of the FAQ and Clearsight, but thanks for taking the time to copy the info in. I do appreciate it!

So, a Rigger could purchase a sensor with a visual enhancement, put it on their drone, and then the drone would get the bonus to perception and attack checks? That's cool.

Thanks!

you'd get the bonus to visual perception checks. you would not get the bonus to gunnery tests.

interestingly enough, the core book seems to imply that sensor-based targetting is optional. sensor + gunnery is used for passive targeting (note: one part seems to imply you don't need to use sensor-assisted gunnery at all, and that you can just go without it).

however, *if* you can get a lock on the target for active targetting, you use pilot + gunnery instead of sensor + gunnery, and additionally you get the number of net hits from your sensor test to get a lock.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Alphastream)
1) If you put a smartlink-equipped weapon on the drone, and operated via full VR, would you get the +2 smartlink bonus to ranged attacks? (Gunnery + Sensor +2).

2) If you put a smartlink-equipped weapon on the drone, how could it get the bonus to its ranged attacks (normally Targeting Autosoft Rating + Pilot)? Would you need to buy a Smartlink enhancement (500:nuyen:, p.323-324)? Would you also need an ImageLink (25:nuyen:, p.323-324)? Would you need anything else?

3) If you purchase a weapon with a laser sight for a drone, would anything else be needed? Would the laser sight alone add its +1die to the drone's attacks and also to any attacks made by the rigger when fully jumped into the drone?

Thanks!

Smart link is a Vision Enhancement, it requires an Image link

Smartgun is a gun option, it requires a Smart Link

1. There isn't any reason not to allow this, except if you consider disallowing the equivalent of in Image Link while in VR for the shooter.

2. If the drone pilot has access to a Smart Link vision enhancement as part of its' targeting system, there's no real reason why not. Buy the smart link vision enhancement, I'd probably not require the image link for Pilot software, but it's not a big deal either way, 200 nuyen.

3. No reason why not.

Smart link is only 2 dice, laser sight 1, it's not game breaking in any way to have the pilot use them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012