Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sniper Rifles DV
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Yoan
One of my players has been achin' for a long rifle/sniper rifle for far too long, and I am willing to give it to him: but only after tackling this nagging question...

Do the listed sniper rifles shoot magic bullets? How else do you justify the high DV and deadly AP value? Has anybody houseruled this yet? That is, in fact, my real question wink.gif I need a sanitized set of DV/AP for the non-assault rifles...

While I'm here, do you think it would make sense to say the sniper in question (let's say he's on a roof, supporting his buddies down below) HAS to Take Aim, meaning he can't just shoot two seperate targets off the bat? How else is he going to be shooting at a target fairly far?
Zak
I fail to see your point. Sniper rifles are fine, just start using things like cover and line of sight and you shouldn't have big issues with snipers being overpowered (which they aren't anyway).
Yoan
I simply don't see what warrants the high DV and AP, and I am trying to find a middle-ground.
tirsales
Sport Rifle:
7P/-1

Sniper Rifle:
7P/-3
8P/-3

HMG:
7P/-3

So ... Where exactly is the Sniper Rifle overpowered? Apart from being Semiautomatic and thus not giving the same benefit like e.g. the HMG (Fullautomatic)??

Oh and having a look at "real life" sniper rifles with e.g. very big expulsion charges and quite heavy ammunition - they *do* cut through your personal armor like nothing. And - quite a number of special sniper rifles have a "bigger punch" than a normal machine gun.
kzt
Get rid of the magic that scopes mean you can ignore range. Nobody involved with SR combat rules has apparently ever shot a gun, so the combat rules all have weird issues, some minor, some huge. The "Attacker Using Image Magnification" section is the most obvious demonstration that they don't have the foggiest idea how shooting really works.

The other detail is that large and heavy sniper rifels are large and heavy and really long. 5ft long 40 pound guns are not subtle or easy to carry around.
Tarantula
Except for that fancy one that folds into a briefcase. Thats pretty easy to lug around.
Simon May
But then they get nailed by building security every time you send it through the x-ray machine. I'm sure they could mask it somehow, but it would be exorbitantly expensive.
Tarantula
Why are you going through building security, climb up the side. Thats what gecko gloves are for anyway.
HappyDaze
So ... Where exactly is the Sniper Rifle overpowered? Apart from being Semiautomatic and thus not giving the same benefit like e.g. the HMG (Fullautomatic)??

Are you suggesting that a single shot from a sniper rifle is equivalent to a singel shot from a HMG? If so, that would imply that .50 sniper rounds are the norm and the old .30 sniper rifles are no longer used. Is that your assumption?
Narse
If your running a low power campaign, just give him a sports rifle instead. Or just use the stats of the sports rifle with sniper ranges. Still I think that for most groups the Sniper isn't overpowered (it can only fire SA and the one you can actually use in combat isn't that much worse than a sports rifle or shotgun firing slugs [it has a -2 ap bonus]) I wouldn't go much lower than the sports rifle stats tho. Keep in mind that Assault rifles do 6p/-1 when firing in semi-automatic mode. Of course they may also be too high powered for your group. You can also hammer on the obvious nature of a sniper rifle and also the fact that it is VERY illegal, your just asking the cops to throw you in jail for a very long time if one ever catches you with it. Note that a take aim action has to be expended to reduce range modifiers with magnification and that there is a penalty for firing at more than one target in an action phase: -1 (IIRC). This means most characters will probably concentrate their fire on 1 person per action phase. If you find your characters are taking them down in less than 1 action phase you can always increase the goons' body.

Hope that helped.
Tarantula
Trolls and orcs are the norm too, why not .50 sniper rounds?
Narse
Tangentially (as you guys are starting to get a little off topic)
I don't think .50 cal snipers are necessarily the norm. I think their longer barrels and less jarring actions allow the sniper rifles to be just as deadly. That is actually what the damage code measures. (plus smaller caliber rounds generally penetrate armor better)
kzt
In the real world, a sniper rifle does exactly the same damage as the same caliber deer rifle shooting the same bullet.

And for most purposes in urban areas, a good quality deer rifle would work just perfectly. It's only at long range that you start seeing the reason why you want to buy the $9000 rifle instead of the $500 rifle.
tirsales
@HappyDaze: As the Sniper does more damage than the sports gun, I would assume it to have eg a higher caliber, different types of ammo, "better barrel" eg reducing "wobbling" of the bullet-flight (sorry, english is not my native language..) and thus enhancing "speed on the long run", ...
Yeah, I was thinking of a .50 sniper when comparing to a HMG.
But you could also say, that "the improved accuracy" makes efficient shooting of a single target easier (with a normal rifle you can aim for his breast, using that uber-rifle you can even aim for his heart (or at least for the assumed location of the heart and thus shoot several cm to its left side wink.gif )

And yes, the "long range shooting"-rules are crappy, though every house rule I tried to design was more complicated - and thus problematic in a official setting. (The group I was running at the time actually liked it, and perhaps someday I will post it .. Needs more testing beforehand though and I will wait for Arsenal) - but that is a completely different topic wink.gif

Putting aside reality - the snipers are *much* more expensive then the sport rifles - thus they should have some (worthy) benefits apart from being cool. Okay, their range is doubled - and if that is a worthy benefit for your group - well, just go along with kzt and use sport rifle stats.
Or give them a better AP (hey, it's not as if 1/3 of a hit is that much...) but keep that 6P. Or say: They use special ammo, please leave all your worldly possesion at the counter. There are so many possibilities for reducing sniper rifle efficiency wink.gif

-- edit: Corrected some mistakes ..
Narse
QUOTE (kzt)
In the real world, a sniper rifle does exactly the same damage as the same caliber deer rifle shooting the same bullet.

And for most purposes in urban areas, a good quality deer rifle would work just perfectly. It's only at long range that you start seeing the reason why you want to buy the $9000 rifle instead of the $500 rifle.

Yes, of course. But in SR the heavier scope gives it an extra -2 ap. biggrin.gif

Ranges are actually a good reason to buy a sniper rifle in SR, that and you can do good damage w/ minimal ammo cost.
HappyDaze
I don't think that 'highly accurate' weapons should have a higher damage code. Instead they should have bonus dice to the attack roll (possibly only acessed with aiming). This can give extra damage with a good roll, but the base damage should not be adjusted since you can still have the same 'grazing' hit with either weapon using the same size of ammo.
tirsales
I didn't say it was a particulary good or sensible idea wink.gif
WearzManySkins
There are sniper rifles like the .416 designed from the cartridge to the weapon to be a sniper rifle. The .416 is not a hunting rifle round. The .50 cal is not the most efficient use of a sniper rifle.

The category of hunting rifle is a very large range of weapons, from the .17 to the .460, but others have posted some excellant examples search for User name Crusher Bob, he has posted some very good examples/rules.

WMS
Whipstitch
QUOTE (kzt @ Oct 21 2007, 05:23 PM)

And for most purposes in urban areas, a good quality deer rifle would work just perfectly.  It's only at long range that you start seeing the reason why you want to buy the $9000 rifle instead of the $500 rifle.

Exactly! It's also not even all that hard to make a deer rifle freakishly accurate either- temporarily, that is. The real trick is fine-tuning the bloody thing and then actually keeping it that way long enough to shoot something with it. Many military sniper rifles essentially are hunting rifles, they've just been carefully modified and then kitted out with stupidly expensive scopes that stay pretty stable and zeroed in even after being flown to god knows where followed by getting dragged through who knows what.
Critias
They also have shooters that are, y'know, just a little bit better than your average "I take my rifle to the range once a year, just before deer season," sort of casual hunter. I'm sure that contributes more than a little to the upkeep and accuracy of their rifles.

I'd rather face your average deer hunter with a Marine Scout/Sniper's finely tuned rifle than a Marine with the deer hunter's case trophy, I can tell you that much. wink.gif
kzt
QUOTE (Critias)
I'd rather face your average deer hunter with a Marine Scout/Sniper's finely tuned rifle than a Marine with the deer hunter's case trophy, I can tell you that much. wink.gif

True. Which is why the image mag thing annoys me all out of proportion. In SR, difference between Joe hunter and Mr Expert Sniper shooting someone 749 meters away is 3 successes vs 5 successes.
Whipstitch
Yeah, I can't even imagine bothering to train for truly, truly long ranges, and I'd like to think I'm a slight cut above the really casual guys. I find the few obsessive hunters who really do practice like crazy and spend all their free time tuning their gear kind of amusing, actually. I mean, I understand why in the military they do it. But for deer hunting? Heck, I use a shotgun and slugs pretty much exclusively these days; the way I see it, if it's far enough away to be out of shotgun range then it's far enough away for me to have a hard time knowing what's behind it if I should miss (well, okay, that and my old shotgun's just plain stupidly reliable). I just don't see any reason to risk a bad shot and hitting someone over a stupid deer; there's waaaaay too many other hunters out there in southern Minnesota for me to feel comfortable trying ego shots. I dunno, I guess they must really, REALLY like shooting.
Falconer
I'm surprised not many folks have picked up on this. But the PJSS is probably the best 'sniper' weapon in the game.

Which would you rather have break action 2 shot 9P/AP-1 weapon with no legality issues. Or would you rather a semi-auto 7P/AP-3 weapon with a big 'F' for legality for no good reason. (it's just an accuraized semi-auto rifle! I can see the 'F' for the breakdownable sniper rifle, but the other one?!).

Really which would you rather have +2DR, or 22AP... I know which one is more effective! And the ability to give em both barrels for a 10P single shot doesn't hurt either.

Range brackets are almost irrelevant because of the ignore all range on optics. How often does your sniper work from 1.5klicks anyhow? How often wouldn't 800m suffice?
Narse
What I meant when referring to range brackets was with the sniper you don't even have to use a take aim action at under 150m - almost 3x the maximum range on that predator and exactly the maximum range of that Ingram Smartgun.
Cabral
QUOTE (Falconer)
I'm surprised not many folks have picked up on this. But the PJSS is probably the best 'sniper' weapon in the game.

Which would you rather have break action 2 shot 9P/AP-1 weapon with no legality issues. Or would you rather a semi-auto 7P/AP-3 weapon with a big 'F' for legality for no good reason.

The best sniper rifles were in Cannon Companion so I guess we'l have to wait for Arsenal. Should be fun to see what the 14D Barret rifle looks like in SR4. biggrin.gif

However, Why aren't you comparing the PJSS to the Ranger Arms? 8P/-3 AP instead of 7P/-3AP? The PJSS still comes out ahead as far as damage code, but what keeps it from becoming the best sniper rifle is a key aspect of snipers: Stealth.

Stealth:
1. How loud is a PJSS? It's not meant to be in any way discreet. Also, remember that a silencer has an "F" availability as well and so your concerned about legality shadowrunner won't have one. Even if he did, I wouldn't allow him to use a pair on a double barreled weapon.
2. Range is the other part of stealth. The further away you are, the harder it is to see the muzzle flash or hear the shot.

-3 AP is better than +1 DV against armored targets (reduces the chance of target taking stun damage as well as reducing the dice for damage resistance tests).
Also, since your PJSS wielder is worried about legality, he won't be using APDS or EX Explosive Ammunition, putting the sniper ahead.

The PJSS is great for "oh gawd that's not a stick the troll has..." but or as a decent impromptu sniper rifle, but it can't truly fill the roles of a sniper rifle.

As for why is the sniper rifle illegal? Because it's a sniper rifle. biggrin.gif
Kerberos
QUOTE (tirsales)
@HappyDaze: As the Sniper does more damage than the sports gun, I would assume it to have eg a higher caliber, different types of ammo, "better barrel" eg reducing "wobbling" of the bullet-flight (sorry, english is not my native language..) and thus enhancing "speed on the long run", ...
Yeah, I was thinking of a .50 sniper when comparing to a HMG.
But you could also say, that "the improved accuracy" makes efficient shooting of a single target easier (with a normal rifle you can aim for his breast, using that uber-rifle you can even aim for his heart (or at least for the assumed location of the heart and thus shoot several cm to its left side wink.gif )

[nitpick]The heart isn't actually located to the left side of the body it's just that the left side of the heart is bigger, just like you right (or left) arm is more muscular. If you aim several centimeters to the left you're going to miss (for high values of several).[/nitpick]
tirsales
Yes ... Thats what I meant ... Or to put it otherwise:
People always suspect the heart to be more on the left side than it really is - thus, when aiming for the "suspected heart-location" they will miss the heart on its left side by several cm wink.gif
TheOneRonin
And if you are good enough to aim "for the heart", why on EARTH wouldn't you be aiming for the head instead? CNS shots > heart shots.

Tarantula
Because everyone knows you want to keep their cyberskull as a trophy ala predator.
JBlades
I think what Yoan is looking for consists of two things.

The first is that sniper rifles (and sporting rifles, their civilian cousins) generally use a much more energetic caliber bullet than do things like pistols or smgs (which fire pistol cartridges, that actually being the defining fact to differentiate an smg from an assault rifle). You're looking at a .308 or bigger vs. a 9mm.

The second is that the bullets used themselves are usually jacketed variants on normal rounds to aid flight over longer distances, which happen to also give better penetration.

Those are the real world reasons why a sniper rifle might be stated as having high DV and AP. Hope it helps! cool.gif

EDIT: To clarify, "more energetic" doesn't mean a higher caliber necessarily. It means more powder and moving at a higher velocity due to design.

So while a .50cal is in fact a huge piece of lead, a 5.56mm M-16 is actually firing a .223 cal sized bullet, it's firing it at much higher speed for a very high energy transfer, thus doing a lot more damage than a .22.
DTFarstar
I assume people aim for the heart not the head because with the heart it is basically center mass anyway so if you miss you still have a good chance of the bullet doing some damage, quite possibly fatal what with all the other vital organs nearby. With the head, if you miss in any direction but down then you just miss. Missing down of course hits the neck which is really almost as good.

Chris
Cabral
QUOTE (DTFarstar)
With the head, if you miss in any direction but down then you just miss.

You miss? wink.gif
Whipstitch
QUOTE (DTFarstar)
I assume people aim for the heart not the head because with the heart it is basically center mass anyway so if you miss you still have a good chance of the bullet doing some damage, quite possibly fatal what with all the other vital organs nearby.

Heh, yeah. Phrases you never hear: "Oh thank god, I only got hit in the lungs!"
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Whipstitch)

Well, yeah, you never hear that phrase because the target is currently gurgling frothed and bubbled blood from the bullet hole.
HappyDaze

Nah, I once heard a vampire say that when we tried to put a stake in its heart.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (HappyDaze)

Nah, I once heard a vampire say that when we tried to put a stake in its heart.

I stand corrected. More precisely, I rotfl.gif corrected.
Falconer
On the bit of range. I already conceded this one. Short of the GM allowing people to 'accurize' their hunting rifle and extend it's range up to spec. But in reality, in an urban setting a 1.5km shot is probably not doing. 800m is pretty sufficient. Police SWAT snipers again use weapons which top out in range at about 800m. But is there really going to be that much of a difference in percievability of the sniper between 800m and 1.5km? I don't think there will be many cases where 800m of range won't do and even then I'd allow people to accurize their basic hunting rifle to extend it's range (no more than say 1000-1200m).

Do you have any actual practical experience w/ suppressors? I do.

There's zero reason you couldn't suppress a PJSS. It would require a custom built suppressor due to the double barreled construction and the lack of the standard threaded barrel for sure. But there's zero reasons in the SR4 rules or in real life it couldn't be done. The suppressor itself is childs play, and could be made out of local materials. Your suppressor is basically a glorified 'tuned muffler' as commonly seen for cars/bikes.

Why would I only want an 'R' rated weapon, but not care as much about a 'F' suppressor or ammo?
Simple, the weapon is large, bulky, hard to hide. I can ship the weapon legally under false pretenses... (going to hunt elk/moose/bear... etc.). The mere possession of it won't get your shadowrunner in trouble.

The other items I can craft or make on site... EG: handload legal ammo by replacing the bullets w/ 'F' bullets. It only takes basic machine tools and knowhow to make a suppessor. That's no more than a handfull of ranks in Armorer and an extended production test. Even if I need to smuggle them, they're small and much easier to conceal than the weapon itself! And would be much easier to smuggle seperately as well. EG: i can make the silencer look like engine parts, bullets are small and could be hidden in many items. (or the old standby of load up a magazine, then put 3 rounds of normal ammo on top... how many overworked customs agents are even going to bother to check the underlying round if the top rounds are legal).

Damage Code:
It's not AP-3 advantage it's only AP-2 advantage! And that's easily made up by the act that firing both barrels is a 10P weapon over your 8P. That means the PJSS does more damage w/ the same likelihood of getting lethal over stun in a single shot. And +2DR trumps -2AP by a longshot (AP is dependant on there being armor, +2 damage always happens... -2 dice defense could potentially be 2 points damage reduced, but far more likely it's only 2/3's of a point reduced statistically).

I don't think the one rifle deserves it's 'F' status. But the breakdownable 8P sniper rifle definately deserves the 'F' status. But the other reason I compared it to the other was 12R compares roughly to 10F for availability.

All the guns in the book are basic weapons. The sniper rifles are assumed to be tuned up for long range fire though. You can use armorer checks to enhance a weapon. There's no reason you couldn't accurize a hunting rifle to extend it's range. Really most police SWAT sniper rifles are based on a Remington 700 hunting rifle chambered in .308. But they have heavy match barrels, and the bolt is machined to higher tolerances, and typically the trigger assembly is replaced w/ a two-stage trigger. Another typical construction difference is the barrel is free floating only being anchored to the stock at a single point near the reciever assembly. Though really I suspect the difference between the basic hunting rifle and the 7P sniper is simply something like the difference between a .270 and a .300 winmag. I sincerely hope the HMG listed in the book is not a .50cal as 7P-3 is pretty sorry for a round which is physically much larger than the PJSS elephant rifle round!

To the original poster. One of the differences between the 'sniper' rounds and standard issue 'ball' is that the standard issue ball typically has a flat back end of the bullet, while long range bullets tend to have a shape called a boat-tail. This makes the bullet longer & heavier, moves it's center of gravity farther back, makes the round more aerodynamic and stable in flight. EG: M118 special ball as it's called has tigher tolerances on exactly how much powder and what kind of primers are allowed and uses a boattail bullet. It's used by the military for target competition and sniping. (read the wiki entry on .30-06 springfield and note the differences between M1 and M2 ball ammo).

But where you hunt yeah, you rarely need a long range shot. Same goes for the wooded areas of the east. But out west, hunting elk or big horn sheep, you need a really long range high power accurate rifle! In the plains, again you can need a long range accurate rifle to hunt mule deer (as opposed to the white tails). Then there's the guys who just enjoy handloading/tweaking their guns and basically target shooting for sport. (no different than those wierdos who go put all that custom junk on their cars.. what can I say I'm a long distance shooter).

But anyhow, I always get a good laugh out of the books like Armory (or the ones published for D20 modern or the like of modern weapons). Most of the authors have no clue and zero rangetime or experience. But even at that, I'm hoping armory adds some good stuff.
kzt
Falconer, as you've done long range shooting, what does a scope really provide to a shooter over iron sights? Other then allowing you to actually see the target at silly distances, what would you see a realistic game benefit of using a scope?

I'm a red dot and iron sights kind of guy, so I have some ideas but no real experience to support them with.
otomik
Stating the obvious would be that SR guns are unrealistic period.
I think you could be a bit more charitable in your interpretations.

maybe the sport rifles use .30-30 with soft point bullets.
maybe the sniper rifles use .300 mag (primary chambering for the WA2000, also M24 if it weren't for compromises) and .338 Lapua (for the Ranger Arms)
kick it up a notch and we could look at .408 cheytac, 9x90mm MEN, .416 Barret

The thing about scopes is that they don't really negate the difficulties of shooting at range like SR has depicted, they just allow you to more clearly see your target. This is a fraction of the difficulties which include:

-time of flight and hitting a moving target
-bullet drop and wind, bullet aerodynamics and diminished energy.
-effects of the shooters own shakiness greatly multiplied

I sincerely hope the HMG listed in the book is not a .50cal as 7P-3 is pretty sorry for a round which is physically much larger than the PJSS elephant rifle round!
yeah, hope so, I'll guess it's chambered in .300 mag, it's not too difficult imagining good alternatives to the NATO standard cartridge complex.
Ed_209a
QUOTE (kzt @ Oct 22 2007, 11:44 PM)
Falconer, as you've done long range shooting, what does a scope really provide to a shooter over iron sights?  Other then allowing you to actually see the target at silly distances, what would you see a realistic game benefit of using a scope?

A scope makes shooting easier, because it makes it easier to tell the precise alignment between aimpoint and target.

I learned to shoot an M16 in the Army, and at longer ranges, the hardest part was that the front sight looked _bigger_ than the target, and was almost the same color. The crosshairs of a scope takes care of that problem, even in a low magnification scope.

It also takes practice to make sure the rear sight is aligned properly with the front sight. You need Eye->rear sight->front sight->target to be in exactly the same alignment every shot. A scope makes that easier too.

What a scope _doesn't_ do is make it easier to keep the sights on target. That is all skill. It's impossible to keep your sights absolutely stable, (unless _you_ can stop your heart), you can only learn to minimize the wobble. It is also really easy to pull your rifle off target while pulling the trigger.

In fact, I wish there was some kind of related bonus from smartgun links, since you don't have to pull anything to make the gun fire.

As for the game benefits of scopes, reducing range penalties isn't a _bad_ way of modeling it, but I wouldn't let a scope eliminate _all_ the range penalties. Shooting a target at 50m w/o a scope is still easier than shooting one at 300m with one.
Critias
I've always figured that was a part of their nebulous "-2 TN" or whatever. Not only did it flash into your field of vision right where the weapon was pointed, but it made a lot of things just easier because of how messed up your stance and grip could be while still keeping the weapon on target -- no need to pull a trigger, no need to maintain a proper sight picture, no need to have the weapon at eye level...all you really had to worry about was being stable enough and keeping a good enough grip on it the recoil didn't take the gun right out of your hands.
Ed_209a
QUOTE (Critias)
I've always figured that was a part of their nebulous "-2 TN" or whatever. Not only did it flash into your field of vision right where the weapon was pointed, but it made a lot of things just easier ...

I think you are absolutely right where it comes to handguns and any weapon in CQB. (which incidentally is most Shadowrun shooting)

At longer ranges, though, holding the weapon steady and good trigger discipline becomes more important than point of aim, because your smartgun reticle would overlap the sights anyway.

Hmm I may have just answered my own question above... The -2TN/+2 die bonus is mainly from the floating reticle at short range, and mainly from the cyber trigger at long range....
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Falconer)
Do you have any actual practical experience w/ suppressors?  I do.

Welcome to the club. wink.gif

There's zero reason you couldn't suppress a PJSS.  It would require a custom built suppressor due to the double barreled construction and the lack of the standard threaded barrel for sure.  But there's zero reasons in the SR4 rules or in real life it couldn't be done.  The suppressor itself is childs play, and could be made out of local materials.  Your suppressor is basically a glorified 'tuned muffler' as commonly seen for cars/bikes.

Are you sure you've had a lot of "can" experience? Sure you COULD suppress a PJSS, but why on earth would you want to? An external suppressor for a rifle like that (prob somewhere between a .375 H&H and .470 Nitro Express) is going to be damn near a foot long (and then some) and while it would dampen the initial sound, you'd still have that supersonic crack generated by the projectile. Regardless, it's not going to be quiet, not by a long shot. And if you decide to step down to velocity controlled ammunition...well, you are basically down to a 12-gauge 3.5" magnum slug. Not a very "worth it" compromise.

It only takes basic machine tools and knowhow to make a suppessor.  That's no more than a handfull of ranks in Armorer and an extended production test.

That's certainly a new one one me. I'd like to know your sources on that.

I don't think the one rifle deserves it's 'F' status.  But the breakdownable 8P sniper rifle definately deserves the 'F' status.  But the other reason I compared it to the other was 12R compares roughly to 10F for availability.

So every rifle that can be broken down deserves a "Forbidden" status. Man, looks like I am in all kinds of trouble with Johnny Law...

tirsales
Regarding the "scope-rules for SR are broken"-discussion:
Well, my approach was splitting the range modifier in different classes:

1. Sightmodifier - they can be negated via Scopes

2. Weapon accuracy - I made tables for weapon classes and ammunition classes stating a dicepool-modifier in relation to distance - this one couldn't be negated no matter what you did. And yes, it allowed a really skilled shooter to shoot "at greater range" then a less skilled one. And it gave a (easy to handle) method for giving or taking dice of runners mistreating / looking after their guns. A dirty sniper rifle won't have that accuracy...

3. Wind, etc - those modifiers could partly be negated via a knowledgeskill "Sniper", a high weapon skill, collected data, etc
In fact shooting for high distances got much harder. Especially low-level shooter had nearly no chance at all to shoot straight at 1000m.
And yes, this means that some modifiers need more time to be calculated - but with some training it took nearly no time. Especially when "precalculating" those values for given scenarios.

What do you think of such an approach? And yes, I know that it works "against a fluid game play" at least when introducing that system to a new group.
I am by far not a sharpshooter - I have (nearly) no practial experience, only theoretical approaches so comments would be appreciated.
noonesshowmonkey
QUOTE (kzt)
Falconer, as you've done long range shooting, what does a scope really provide to a shooter over iron sights? Other then allowing you to actually see the target at silly distances, what would you see a realistic game benefit of using a scope?

Though I am not Falconer (and he being a long range shooting fanatic is probably THE MAN for this question as posed) but I do have more than a few rounds through more than a few rifles under my belt.

Primarily the advantage of a scope is what is referred to as sight picture. A scope allows you to see clearly your target even at range. A good scope (and iron sights, for that matter) also allows to be set for windage and range, allowing you to adjust for these variables and assist in placing shots properly. It can be extremely disorienting to fire through a scope at a distant and moving target as the perception of motion (especially lateral velocity) is extremely foreshortened and attenuated compared to using the mk1 mod0 Eyeball at ranges past 300m. That said, the ability to clearly see your target without the focusing problems of iron sights is unparalleled. When firing with iron sights you need to have a clear front sight against a fuzzy target - meaning that at long range it is easy to "lose sight picture" for a moment just before firing and right after. Long range firing on a moving target with iron sights takes a great deal of skill to become predictive of where your target will be so that when you shift focus to fire you don't lose the target and miss. A scope helps mitigate this problem almost completely. Probably the most important advantage is the time spent before the shot, however. Observation is key to precise rifle fire and a scope offers unparalleled capability (compared to other weapon sights or iron sights) in this area.

The notable disadvantages of a scope when firing is a reduction in local situational awareness. A scope provides, quite literally, "tunnel vision". Snipers work in two man teams to help alleviate this problem to an extent. When using iron sights the shooter generally experiences a shorter context of tunnel vision than when using a scope as their attention is less diverted to their weapon.

Also, a note about Sniper Rifles in SR4. Statistically speaking, the vast majority of SWAT marksman shots are fired from >200 meters. A lot of them occur from "across the street", just as most shots from entry teams are taken from "across the room" at distances less than 5 meters. Urban combat collapses the distances that engagements occur at to such a degree that a traditional "sniper rifle" is sincere overkill. There are few instances in SR4 where a marksman will have sight of a target at anything over 200-300 meters.

- der menkey

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."
~ Ernest Hemingway
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (kzt)
Falconer, as you've done long range shooting, what does a scope really provide to a shooter over iron sights?  Other then allowing you to actually see the target at silly distances, what would you see a realistic game benefit of using a scope?

I'm a red dot and iron sights kind of guy, so I have some ideas but no real experience to support them with.

I've done some "intermediate range" scope shooting...somewhere between 300 and 600 yards. A scope is critical for helping you get a good sight picture of your target, but you are going to need a lot more than that to hit it. At over 500 yards, a slight twitch can throw you completely off target, and you might even lose sight of your target altogether. Personally, I always try to shoot on the lowest magnification possible I like having a wide field of vision, and being able to make small adjustments without losing sight of my target.

I'm not sure what the best method is for house-ruling this stuff in SR. Possibly additional dice pool or threshold modifiers for man-sized targets out past 300 meters? Something that can only be mitigated with a scope/image enhancement, maybe?

You can't base it solely off of range categories...you shouldn't need a scope to shoot a target at 40 meters with your pistol.

Also, in my experience, being able to shoot from a benchrest/supported position has a MUCH larger impact on accuracy than the use of a scope.

noonesshowmonkey
I tend to house-rule long range shots as an increase in threshold.

The reasoning is simple. An increase in threshold means that it requires higher skill ratings to even HIT a target at long range if hits are capped at skill rating +1. Generally I do long range +1, extreme +2 with additional modifiers as I see fit. The only people that can reliably make that shot are those with Long Arms - 3+.

- der menkey

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."
~ Ernest Hemingway
Ed_209a
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
QUOTE (Falconer)
It only takes basic machine tools and knowhow to make a suppressor.  That's no more than a handful of ranks in Armorer and an extended production test.

That's certainly a new one one me. I'd like to know your sources on that.

Falconer is right. It is pretty basic. I think the hardest part in making a crude, but functional suppressor is threading the can and barrel.

Of course, there is a big difference between a _suppressor_ and a _good_suppressor_. The extra 15-20dB are all in the details.
Falconer
The rest of the answers are right. The biggest advantage of a scope is being able to see the target clearly magnified against a clear sight picture.

But to put another aspect into play is something called sight radius. Pistols have a very short distance between their front and rear sight so can be very hard to aim precisely at extended ranges even if the ballistics would let you reach out that far reliably. Iron sights on a rifle are much farther apart allowing for a lot more precision at the same range. But scopes provide an optical trick which can allow the sight radius to be even farther apart for more precision.

Also as others have stated, the scope only allows you to see the target and point of aim clearly, it doesn't suppress your natural oscilations or good technique/training. Best way to get a stable hold is to not support the rifle yourself... so a bipod or benchrest type support techniques become very valuable.

As far as suppressors go, I just read the wiki article on them and it's actually reasonably good. I'd recommend it for those unfamiliar.
Simon May
Looking at a solution to the suppressor issue, since supressing a long range rifle round couldn't be done easily and effectively, how about spoofing the sound in multiple locals.

Example: A sniper sets up on a rooftop 750 meters away from his target. Before actually sitting down to wait for the kill, he drops small speakers on several other buildings in the area. When he pulls that trigger, each of the speakers mimics the sound of the shot, as if it came from multiple places.

Certainly, the sound wouldn't sync up from each speaker at every point, but the multiple shots would prevent someone from using a location test with cyber ears or adept powers to pinpoint the shot quickly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012