Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lazy Names in Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kagetenshi
So after stewing for a few days over the muckup of "koborokuru" (korobokkuru), I let my thoughts drift back to another Shadowrun naming pet peeve: the existence of at least two dragons named "dragon" (Lung and Ryuumyou, though at least the latter is a proper name meaning "ferocious dragon" instead of simply being the word "dragon" in the local language) and one that, as far as I can tell, is named after a city in Yemen. Are there any other instances we can think of of deeply lazy naming amongst major Shadowrun entities? Keep in mind that I'm looking for abysmally lazy names, like dragons named "dragon" or blatant misspellings of historical or legendary figures that can't be passed off as deliberate modification (as a non-SR-related example, as deeply annoying as I find the term "magick", there's no mistaking that it's deliberate. I'm looking for things more along the lines of "majic", or even "maigc").

Anything come to mind?

~J
HappyDaze
Somewhere I remember seeing an NPC contact that was named simply 'Guy'. Does that count?
toturi
Just a guy? biggrin.gif
b1ffov3rfl0w
Nameless, the Street Samurai from SR1. Although it's a great handle. A guy in my first group had a troll named "Nobody" (who also spoke in a terrible Schwarzenegger/Rainer Wolfcastle sort of way). "Don't worry, Nobody's going to harm you". Heh.

Lung's a super-ancient Great Dragon, right? Maybe it's not that he's named after the word "dragon", but it's the other way around.

EDIT: woah, old thread. sorry.
Vegetaman
There's a bunch of generic stuff like "Wolf"; but some NPCs can pull it off awesomely (See: Wolfgang Kies).
Kyoto Kid
...had a PC in my RiS campaign with a fixer named "Fixie"

A player in one of my 4th ed scenarios had a fixer named "two-two" (2 loyalty/2connection)
MaxHunter
"2/2" that's hilarious! grinbig.gif

Cheers!

Max
Stahlseele
if i have to think of names, i mostly go by looking at what the thing to be named is meant to be doing . . is it a samurai? let's think of a generic street name OR regular name and reverse engineer the other part from that one *g*
Carter Melon as real name, Charmaine Leon as false name, Chameleon as street name because it is a predator-built for example *g*
Else i have somewhere a nice PDF with all kinds of names in and i just close my eyes and let my hand do some scrolling and see where i land ^^
cREbralFIX
Just use a rock and roll band name generator. I have found some great handles using it.

http://www.bandnamemaker.com/

...though..."Juicy Puke" may be a bit much for a Street Sam.
It trolls!
When it comes to street names, I often omit giving my characters one, unless they're supposed to be well known in the shadows. I rather let a street name for them develop from whatever their ingame actions might represent.
For connection or NPC names, I often take a DVD movie from my shelf, watch the credits and take a random first and last name from the barrage of names floating across the screen.
the_dunner
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Mar 13 2008, 11:51 PM) *
A player in one of my 4th ed scenarios had a fixer named "two-two" (2 loyalty/2connection)

Sorry, but this is obligatory -- did she dress like a ballerina?
Dashifen
QUOTE (the_dunner @ Mar 14 2008, 09:45 AM) *
Sorry, but this is obligatory -- did she dress like a ballerina?

If not HE should have biggrin.gif
Kyoto Kid
...I believe he actually did, not all the time.
bibliophile20
The original: Captain Nemo.
john_doe
I had a fence contact named "Chain-link". All i got was groans when i called him.
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (HappyDaze @ Oct 23 2007, 07:12 AM) *
Somewhere I remember seeing an NPC contact that was named simply 'Guy'. Does that count?

But "Guy" is an actual name, you know.
Prime Mover
QUOTE (cREbralFIX @ Mar 14 2008, 09:28 AM) *
Just use a rock and roll band name generator. I have found some great handles using it.

http://www.bandnamemaker.com/

...though..."Juicy Puke" may be a bit much for a Street Sam.

"Tank Supermarket" I can already see there first video.
b1ffov3rfl0w
"Nemo" (nobody) was also the alias used by Ulysses when Polyphemus the cyclops asked him his name (apparently for a Classical Greek hero, using a pseudonym would have been on a par with the 47 ronin story). Later, Polyphemus has to admit that nobody blinded him. HA-ha.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (john_doe @ Mar 14 2008, 10:10 AM) *
I had a fence contact named "Chain-link". All i got was groans when i called him.

*GROAN*

*steals*
john_doe
QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Mar 14 2008, 08:49 PM) *
*steals*

<--- is flattered
BookWyrm
QUOTE (Vegetaman @ Mar 13 2008, 07:20 PM) *
There's a bunch of generic stuff like "Wolf"; but some NPCs can pull it off awesomely (See: Wolfgang Kies).

I briefly met Michael Stackpole at ICON years ago, before 'Wolf and Raven' was compiled into it's own novel. I forgot if "Kies" is pronounced "Keys" or rhymes with Wise.
Aaron
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Mar 14 2008, 09:49 PM) *
I briefly met Michael Stackpole at ICON years ago, before 'Wolf and Raven' was compiled into it's own novel. I forgot if "Kies" is pronounced "Keys" or rhymes with Wise.

If it's German, it would be pronounced "Keess," with a long 'e' and the 's' devoiced at the end.
Aaron
I had a shadow spirit of catharsis in one of my campaigns. It fed off of people's temptations, including the hacker's addiction to alcohol. For want of a better name, I called it Tantalus.

I don't believe that anyone in the group caught it. Not sure whether to be happy or sad about that.
DreadPirateKitten
My contact on my face is named Leeroy Jenkins.

My contact on my Sam is Johnny Walker.

Both are terrible and lazy. =P
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012