Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 Netplay tools.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nalanthi
So, anyone written any good SR4 netplay tools or found a generic toolset that works for them? Are any of the SR3 tools still relevant?

Thanks
Mr. Croup
i'd have a butchers at the community section of the SR3 forum, as there's a fair few bits n' bobs in there that might be useful.
DTFarstar
What?
Dashifen
He's saying there might be some stuff that Nalanthi may find useful in the Community Projects section of the site. Can't you translate cockney? biggrin.gif

I've been working on an online chat system with a dashboard like interface. A GM starts a session and his or her players can log on to it. Then, each player can send private messages to the GM and receive them from the GM, but there's also a public chat window for the regular game. I've got just about everything ready ... then I just have to make it look appropriately futuristic and shadowrun-eske.
hobgoblin
dashifen, isnt that what programs like openrpg was made for?
swirler
ooh very cool!
Dashifen
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

Yeah, but I enjoy coding my own. And I couldn't find a good openrpg roller for SR4.
Starmage21
you enjoy coding on your own so...MAKE an SR4 dice roller for SR4!
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Starmage21)
you enjoy coding on your own so...MAKE an SR4 dice roller for SR4!

He did. Been using it for years.
Method
Dashifen- any idea when you might release this treasure to us, the unwashed masses? lick.gif

And will it be Mac OS X compatible?
Ryu
Sometime ago, some SR Hero named Dashifen...

From Dashifens HP
Dashifen
Maybe this weekend, now that I know there's interest. Mind you, if I let people in this weekend, it's going to be ugly and probably vomit error messages all over your game, but that'll only make it stronger.

It was originally intended to work as a solution for an online game I'm in but then we decided to use Skype which comes with its own built-in chatting/messaging interface, so the concept hasn't advanced too much. I'll see what I can do over the next 48 hours. My wife is busy this weekend anyway wink.gif

Dashifen
QUOTE (Method @ Oct 26 2007, 12:49 PM)
And will it be Mac OS X compatible?

It'll be online and I test with Safari so ..... yes!

I'll leave this thread to be unhijacked as a place for others to discuss their tools. I'll make a community post when I get something up this weekend.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Ryu)
Sometime ago, some SR Hero named Dashifen...

From Dashifens HP

*goes to take a look*

*comes back*

notworthy.gif
Dashifen
It's not that great. And I haven't updated it in a year. Mostly because my wiki indexing of the source books and databasing of all things of cyberware and magic into a point and click database web page breaks copyright so I can't release it frown.gif

Edit: added the appropriate, and necessary 't following the word "can".
Method
And me...

notworthy.gif

I now find myself sepparated from my physical group, so I've been looking for a chat based tool to see if I can get them to game online.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Dashifen)
It's not that great. And I haven't updated it in a year. Mostly because my wiki indexing of the source books and databasing of all things of cyberware and magic into a point and click database web page breaks copyright so I can release it frown.gif

Dude, just the dice roller alone... And you included the source code!

If we (myself and my group) tweak it a bit, to, say, automate initiative, would you host the tweak?
Fortune
QUOTE (Dashifen)
Mostly because my wiki indexing of the source books and databasing of all things of cyberware and magic into a point and click database web page breaks copyright ...

Is it any worse than McMackie's NSRCG in that way?
Dashifen
QUOTE (bibliophile20)
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Oct 26 2007, 02:24 PM)
It's not that great.  And I haven't updated it in a year.  Mostly because my wiki indexing of the source books and databasing of all things of cyberware and magic into a point and click database web page breaks copyright so I can release it frown.gif

Dude, just the dice roller alone... And you included the source code!

If we (myself and my group) tweak it a bit, to, say, automate initiative, would you host the tweak?

Tweak away; I'd be happy to host it.

@Fortune:
Yes. I extracted the text of the PDF's and copied it verbatim in to database resident on my laptop (along with the PDFs). Then, I built an interface to that database for magic and I retyped most of the source books into a wiki and, all said and done, I don't think there's anyway to release it. It contains not only the statistics of the equipment and spells (like mcmackie's did) but also the actual rules and text of the books.
swirler
QUOTE (Dashifen)
Yes. I extracted the text of the PDF's and copied it verbatim in to database resident on my laptop (along with the PDFs). Then, I built an interface to that database for magic and I retyped most of the source books into a wiki and, all said and done, I don't think there's anyway to release it. It contains not only the statistics of the equipment and spells (like mcmackie's did) but also the actual rules and text of the books.

*drool*
nice
TBRMInsanity
I wonder what IRC channels exist out there that are SR4?

It would be cool if there was a program out there like the new D&D 4 program that Wizards is making. Go to youtube to see the videos of it. I wonder how hard it will be to mod for SR?
hobgoblin
there used to be a irc server under the dumpshock address. anyone knows what happened to it?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Dashifen)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Oct 26 2007, 09:44 AM)

Yeah, but I enjoy coding my own. And I couldn't find a good openrpg roller for SR4.

and thats when you break out python and code your own wink.gif

hell, its even designed so as to make it simple to do just that iirc.

i would guess that the wod roller would make for a nice place to start, as i think it can take any sided dice and a target number and spit back successes. now strap on code for those fumble rules, and maybe a way to roll exploding vs normal (if the roller not already support that) and presto...

but then its been a bit of time since i checked up on the program...
Caine Hazen
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
there used to be a irc server under the dumpshock address. anyone knows what happened to it?

been broken for quite a bit... since the last time the place went down. Like some of the web sites. Not sure what the plans are for it in the future... suppose I can ask around.
Dashifen
I should probably warn you, bibliophile, that the dice roller I wrote is my one and only attempt at python. The code could suck because I don't usually work in python. I just wanted to take her out for a spin in case it ever came up for me professionally.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012