Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WR's realistic firefight and 80s run index
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wounded Ronin
People who read this forum know that I'm simultaneously working on adopting the SR3 rules to be more realistic in representing firearms and also at the same time working on 80sRun, which would be using the SR3 system as a base for role playing in the 80s. I reason that since an adventure in the 80s wouldn't necessarily have magic, rigging, or matrix, it makes sense to add more depth to firearms combat and have more ways to spend resources in that regard and so for the moment my realistic firefight project and my 80sRun project are very intertwined.

This thread is to help me and interested commentators keep track of all the relevant threads.

Rules Revision Threads:

Most recent item re. suppressive fire and firefights: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...=0&#entry602485

Sniping/sharpshooting thread: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...opic=19466&st=0

EDIT:

I cannot find the Rage of Honor opening theme anywhere on the internet! But it would be the official music of this thread.

Also, if I had art-fu, I would draw an image to go along with the 80s run project. It would have a white male with a mullet, jeans, and leather jacket using his left hand to type on an Apple IIC keyboard with 5 inch floppies scattered around while simultaneously using his right hand to fire an uzi into the chest of an onrushing ninja wearing a white rising sun headband.
Narse
I think you should keep the 'matrix' in. After all there were computer networks in the 80's and it gives you another possible archetype. But of course computer-fu was far more arcane in those days...
Kagetenshi
The Matrix is totally '80s. Advanced Drone and Robot rules are also very '80s—I'd argue that Rigging as a whole is '80s, but it's less obvious.

You should also have hair magic, to encourage players to have hair as big as physically possible.

~J
Wounded Ronin
I suppose that you guys are right after all. Rather than totally ruling them out I think I ought to figure out a way to make them optional, so that people have the choice of either playing "realistic" role playing in the 80s or else having the choice of beating TRON over a telephone connection coming off of a 5 meter long antenna while driving KITT.
nezumi
Considering you sound like you're making 'optional rules' for just about everything, you may just want to decide if you're going with realistic 80s or Cinema 80s, since the two are very dissimilar. Having a bazillion optional rules is going to make things confusing.

(On the other hand, if you make the game well enough, cinema 80s is automatic by virtue of the characters just being high enough level. For instance, an adept with 20 Combat Pool can effectively dodge machine gun fire without otherwise breaking the rules much. In this case, the only real change is in allowing characters to advance to effectively super-human levels and acquire super-high-tech equipment not available to everyone else.)
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (nezumi)
Considering you sound like you're making 'optional rules' for just about everything, you may just want to decide if you're going with realistic 80s or Cinema 80s, since the two are very dissimilar. Having a bazillion optional rules is going to make things confusing.

(On the other hand, if you make the game well enough, cinema 80s is automatic by virtue of the characters just being high enough level. For instance, an adept with 20 Combat Pool can effectively dodge machine gun fire without otherwise breaking the rules much. In this case, the only real change is in allowing characters to advance to effectively super-human levels and acquire super-high-tech equipment not available to everyone else.)

Part of the problem is the research. It actually seems to be taking a fair amount of research to figure out how various things worked specifically in the 80s, or to determine what aspects of computer technology specifically existed then and which ones did not. The volume of research in that direction would tend to take me down the path of realism.

That being said, Cinema 80s has got an undeniable appeal. I don't think that we can argue that Real 80s would be more popular with random people off the street than Cinema 80s.

Also, in a sense SR already does Cinema 80s. SR is, like, the Escape from New York RPG, for the most part.

So maybe what I should do is finish what I'm working on right now (the firearms reivsion stuff) since it's an interesting project that I've already sunk a lot of time into but then leave the rest of SR3 as-is and focus on background research and adding a few extra skills. That way if people want KITT they can use the rigger stuff or they could ignore the rigging rules alltogether if they want to be more historical.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012