Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Haunted Castles of Scotland
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mercer
I've been vaguely following this article in Slate. I thought this passage was interesting:
QUOTE (Kate Bolick)
Some parapsychologists believe that castles physically facilitate residual hauntings. I sent an e-mail to Daniel Renfrow, a sociology professor at Pacific Lutheran University in Washington state who teaches a course called The Social Psychology of Ghosts, to ask him about it. "The idea is that certain materials record events as they occur, and when conditions are correct, they replay them like a record," he explained. "The region's long history is full of wars, disease, and other desperate situations, all of which can imprint themselves on the fabric of a place. The stonework of Scottish castles and vaults may explain the wealth of Scottish ghosts." I can't say that I buy this theory myself, but it resonates metaphorically. Scotland's castles are not only beautiful to look at, they're corporeal expressions of the past, repositories of the country's collective fantasy of itself.

I don't really have an opinion on ghosts. I'm skeptical by nature, but I'm skeptical of my own certainty first. Still, its an interesting idea.
Wounded Ronin
For the purposes of Shadowrun haunted castles are cool. However, there needs to be a reason the party can't just blow up the castle from the outside.

Anyway, if I had to go and do stuff in a haunted castle I'd take a M590 combat shotgun with a variety of shells, including lock buster, slug, and 00 shot. Like, if I were a shadowrunner.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
However, there needs to be a reason the party can't just blow up the castle from the outside.

Would any sane (or even mildly capable of self preservational instincts) runner want the Historical Societies after them? They get mean!
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
However, there needs to be a reason the party can't just blow up the castle from the outside.

Would any sane (or even mildly capable of self preservational instincts) runner want the Historical Societies after them? They get mean!

See, that would be a really awesome NPC entity. A mafia-like historical society.
Mercer
All good points.

Continuing on:

QUOTE (Kate Bolick)
There are many varieties of apparitions, but the two most common are the ghost and the specter. The ghost makes itself known by a change in air temperature or a vague sensation, but it won't engage you. One way of understanding it is as a recording of a past event on eternal repeat. A specter, however, is highly interactive. When you ask it a question, it will reply. Then there are poltergeists, high-energy spirits that move objects around and really make their presence felt. They're often compared to adolescents.

On the margins of all this activity are the multitudes of spritelike phantasmagoria native to Britain, such as the gruagach, Gaelic for a type of fairylike ghost, as well as the glaistig, a protector of livestock, both of which are said to haunt Knock Castle. Also known as Caisteal Camus, the fortress was built by the MacLeods in the 15th century, overtaken by the MacDonalds when they came to control the island, and eventually abandoned in 1689. What's left looks much older than 300 years.

Porting this to Shadowrun, if the physical structures of castles helps "record" ghostly energy even in the current low mana cycle, what sort of effect do you think it would have when the mana cycle rises?
Kagetenshi
It would disperse the energies, as they would no longer be in a local minimum state.

What, you were looking for an interesting answer? wink.gif

~J
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Mercer)
All good points.

Continuing on:

QUOTE (Kate Bolick)
There are many varieties of apparitions, but the two most common are the ghost and the specter. The ghost makes itself known by a change in air temperature or a vague sensation, but it won't engage you. One way of understanding it is as a recording of a past event on eternal repeat. A specter, however, is highly interactive. When you ask it a question, it will reply. Then there are poltergeists, high-energy spirits that move objects around and really make their presence felt. They're often compared to adolescents.

On the margins of all this activity are the multitudes of spritelike phantasmagoria native to Britain, such as the gruagach, Gaelic for a type of fairylike ghost, as well as the glaistig, a protector of livestock, both of which are said to haunt Knock Castle. Also known as Caisteal Camus, the fortress was built by the MacLeods in the 15th century, overtaken by the MacDonalds when they came to control the island, and eventually abandoned in 1689. What's left looks much older than 300 years.

Porting this to Shadowrun, if the physical structures of castles helps "record" ghostly energy even in the current low mana cycle, what sort of effect do you think it would have when the mana cycle rises?

We could just rip off The Shining. But statting the manor and writing rules for things like Magic rating of entrants versus force level of conjured spirits of man would be a huge headache. Plus if you're a shadowrunner mage with C4 packets and not a scared little kid the manor kind of gets screwed.
Snow_Fox
A parapsychologist does not believe a place is haunted, at least not professionally. A parapsycologist tries to determine why another person thinks a place is haunted.
For example why do all the locals think a particular place is haunted but not another?

I believe in ghosts but not to the extent some people are ready to scream 'ghost' at every little noise.

For example on the British show "Most Haunted" goes to the local spot, but then they seem all to willing to run screaming at every little bump rather than figure out what else might be causing it.

by comparrison
"Ghost Hunters" try to find other solutions first. I prefer that version.

For haunted runs, the general rule is less is more. is should be something that keeps the team off balance. One they see something they can all go 'look there' it'll be guns and spells flying. but if their not sure. was the foot fall behind me a sec guard sneaking up on me? no one there, a pipe under the floor? hmmm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012