Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Damage effects
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Garrowolf
What I need help with is that I need someone who has some ideas about what different weapons damage effects would be. I know what a pistol will do to someone but what about some of the higher levels. What rounds would destroy a car, a tank, a house, a bunker, a battleship, etc. What kind of blasts would occur at different damage levels. I want to be able to not just say "You did 45 points of damage with your Railgun", I want to be able to say, "You destroyed the target and the two buildings behind it as well as creating a blast that hits everything in a 50 ft radius. All glass within 300 ft shatters."

Here are the levels I have so far, if anyone has a good site with damage information on these it would be very helpful.

I got these damage codes from Hosiers Hacker House Rules with some playing around with the numbers.

Type Damage/AP

Vehicle Weapons
12.7mm/.50 cal HMG 14/5
14.5mm 16/5
20-25mm (Panther Cannon) 18/6
27-30mm 20/7
73mm Main Gun 24/10
100mm Main Gun 28/11
125mm Main Gun(Light Naval Gun) 30/12
Medium Naval Gun 35/16
Heavy Naval Gun 43/20
Max Naval Gun 52/25

Missiles
Anti-Vehicular 16/6
Fragmentation 16/4
High Explosive 14/4
Aim Air to Air 25/10
Javelot Defense 34/12
Medium Anti-Ship 45/16
Heavy Anti-Ship 54/20
FriendoftheDork
The heavy machinegun in the book (7/-3) is supposed to represent the 12.7mm HMG of today. And giving it damage on the level of AT missiles might not be a good idea. Same goes for the assault cannon, although I admit 10/-5 is a bit low for such a weapon, something along 12/-6 would be more balanced I think.

The current rules are not well suited for heavy weapons above the Panther assault cannon. I mean +1 damage per net hit works great with 5DV weapons but become meaningless when you use 30DP weapons.

Oh and 73mm main gun sounds like WW2 calibre, 100mm was used on the T-50 (yeah that's 1950), and 125mm cannons are still used on russian MBTs. The damage and effects of such cannons will depend alot of it's ammunition. HE rounds are good against infantry and structures but useless against tanks, HEAT is the most common AT ammunition, while the M1 abrams today uses APDSDU (APDS with depleted uranium).

But who knows what they will use in 2070. I'll say wait for Arsenal at first and start house ruling from there wink.gif

In the meantime - don't give your players railguns!
kzt
The issue is that any gun, be it however wimpy, can kill you dead. And it doesn't take deadeye Dick to do this. Once upon a time some ridiculous percentage of the murder victims in the US used to get killed with .22s, most of which were fired by guys who were drunk, high or badly in need of a fix, none of which produces optimal marksmanship.

In SR it doesn't work that way. It's hard to make it work that way. I can't figure out how to do it.

Anyhow this is my approach

No pistol/smg gets AP, pistols suck at armor penetration. I have a +1 AP add for pistols.

Set you base at light pistol I'd suggest 2 with a +1AP.
add +1 for heavy pistol +1AP and SMGs without AP modifier.

Add +4 damage over light pistol and -2AP for ARs and LMGs.
Add +5 damage over light pistol and -3 or 4AP for rifles and MMGs

Add +10 damage over light pistol and -6 AP for HMGs .

It means you have to shoot people a lot with pistols and long arms are really a lot more deadly. .50 cals are horribly lethal and will punch through light armor and concrete block walls like they are not there.

When you go up to light cannon it just gets silly. 25mm cannon shells will go through the side of a tank and tear human targets apart into bloody fragments.
Starmage21
QUOTE (kzt)
The issue is that any gun, be it however wimpy, can kill you dead. And it doesn't take deadeye Dick to do this. Once upon a time some ridiculous percentage of the murder victims in the US used to get killed with .22s, most of which were fired by guys who were drunk, high or badly in need of a fix, none of which produces optimal marksmanship.

In SR it doesn't work that way. It's hard to make it work that way. I can't figure out how to do it.

Anyhow this is my approach

No pistol/smg gets AP, pistols suck at armor penetration. I have a +1 AP add for pistols.

Set you base at light pistol I'd suggest 2 with a +1AP.
add +1 for heavy pistol +1AP and SMGs without AP modifier.

Add +4 damage over light pistol and -2AP for ARs and LMGs.
Add +5 damage over light pistol and -3 or 4AP for rifles and MMGs

Add +10 damage over light pistol and -6 AP for HMGs .

It means you have to shoot people a lot with pistols and long arms are really a lot more deadly. .50 cals are horribly lethal and will punch through light armor and concrete block walls like they are not there.

When you go up to light cannon it just gets silly. 25mm cannon shells will go through the side of a tank and tear human targets apart into bloody fragments.

If you ask the grand-dads who fought in vietnam they can tell you that if a .50BMG hits bone, it will pretty much aputate whatever limb it hit. In addition, there are reports of people being cut in half at the torso from the same round.
darthmord
I've seen pictures & videos from iraq / afganistan of people getting nailed by 50 cal rounds. One guy literally was blown apart from a low abdomen hit. His body was still in one piece... his right hand side still had skin connecting the lower half of the body to the upper half. He was missing his entire right side of his torso though.

The bigger guns don't necessarily need to hit you. They just need to be close. The resulting environmental damage from the round will be enough to injure / maim / kill you.
Garrowolf
What I am trying to find is what does how much damage. I mean that I know that any gun can kill but I'm looking for environmental effects.

I am working on a conversion for Rifts and I need to figure out the effects at different scales. It's not that I am going to be giving them a Battleship to fight with but a Glitterboy fires a tank killing railgun and can take tank fire itself so I need to figure out the scale here for translation. I also want the effect so that if the Glitterboy gets hit by a tank the effects can go to the rest of the group if they are standing anywhere nearby. I want to show the deadliness of Power Armor combat and not have it just another set of armor.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
What I am trying to find is what does how much damage. I mean that I know that any gun can kill but I'm looking for environmental effects.

I am working on a conversion for Rifts and I need to figure out the effects at different scales. It's not that I am going to be giving them a Battleship to fight with but a Glitterboy fires a tank killing railgun and can take tank fire itself so I need to figure out the scale here for translation. I also want the effect so that if the Glitterboy gets hit by a tank the effects can go to the rest of the group if they are standing anywhere nearby. I want to show the deadliness of Power Armor combat and not have it just another set of armor.

You want environmental effects? In that case you'll have to wing it mostly. Sure, you can calculate if barriers are penetrated or breached, but that's all the rules answer.

Glass destroyed by explosion: Damage value 5(f) -2 DV per meter

Debris from wood and metal splinters: DV 7(f) -1 per meter

Fuel tank exploding on vehicle etc: DV 8 -1 per meter, Fire damage.

Ammunition exploding on militairy vehicle (HE, HEAT etc. only) 12, -2AP, -1 per 2 meter.

I'd allow reaction rolls to avoid some of the damage, in addition to soak. Well, if they're not suprised.

Is that something you wanted? Just made those up right now, feel free to critique.

I have no idea what a Glitterboy is... something from an old scourcebook?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012