Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Corporate Enclaves Art Preview!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Zolhex
New art now up for what I guess will be the next book out soon.

Just wish it was Arsenal instead then again I do like the corp info for past books so no big after all it is a new book incoming.
Synner
Just for the record: Corporate Enclaves is the second in a series of themed core location books profiling two major sprawls in detail and briefly visiting several others. The sprawls highlighted in this book are Los Angeles and Neo-Tokyo - two very different bastions of corporate power and culture.

Megacorps evidently play a big role in the local power structure and so get a big part of the spotlight. For those interested, Corporate Enclaves will also bring you a first peek behind the scenes at Horizon (since LA is the new triple-A's hometown).
Prime Mover
Thought Arsenal was coming before Enclaves? Will we see Arsenal before the end of the year? Or the first of next?
Synner
Corporate Enclaves is the next release on the schedule. Arsenal is also currently in layout and final tweaking. We hope to have both out by the end of the year, but there are elements of the production process that are not contingent on our will alone. We will be posting updates as soon as we have something solid.
Ryu
BOTH possibly this year? And I was keeping my fingers crossed for Arsenal alone.

You must have a secret agenda to undermine my support for the yet-to-be-choosen german license.
Nath
QUOTE (Synner)
Megacorps evidently play a big role in the local power structure and so get a big part of the spotlight.

I didn't have the time to write it, but be sure I'll find some to read it. VENGEANCE SHALL BE BROUGHT UPON THE GUILTY! THERE SHALL BE NO EXCUSES! A CLEANSING FIRE WILL BURN THEM!
Synner
Nath - The SR4 Corp Guide is on the development schedule for later this year, so you'd better start clearing up your schedule.
martindv
Direct Link
pbangarth
Ah, the secret of Canadian corporate imperialism comes out! The symbol for the Monobe corporation on the cover art is really the official flower and symbol for the Ontario provincial government, the trillium.

We run silent. we run deep.
raggedhalo
Isn't Monobe the corp that became Renraku? Or have I totally lost it?
Nath
QUOTE (raggedhalo)
Isn't Monobe the corp that became Renraku? Or have I totally lost it?

You have totally lost it. Keruba of Slovenia became Renraku Computer Systems. Monobe is a different corp.
raggedhalo
Gah! Thanks for the clear-up. I shall now repeatedly bash my copy of Corporate Shadowfiles into my head as penance biggrin.gif
casarez
QUOTE (Synner)
Nath - The SR4 Corp Guide is on the development schedule for later this year, so you'd better start clearing up your schedule.

Sweet. Will this be along the lines of an update for the Corporate Shadowfiles/Download books?
eidolon
Oh sweet mother of awesome. That art kicks ass.

3 faves, in order of most to not most badass:
- Join Today
- Manhattan by Night
- Trouble on the Horizon

Minor nitpick: the band pic is awesome, but the troll looks way too small.
MYST1C
QUOTE (eidolon)
Minor nitpick: the band pic is awesome, but the troll looks way too small.

How surprising...

BookWyrm
Must......have.......that..........book!

Ah, Manhattan in the snow. Been there many a time m'self.
HappyDaze
I found the art a little underwhelming, but I'm just used to the art from other gamelines that tends to set a higher standard with styles I greatly prefer. I'll get the product, but not because of the art.
Smilin_Jack
As long as the cover art doesn't over do it with overly shiny plastic/out of control specularity look like Augmentation.... I'll be happy.

Well... even if it does over do it with the shiny plastic/out of control specularity look I'll end up getting it anyway because I really want the Tokyo (cause renaming it Neo-Tokyo just ain't happening on my metaplane) info, but I'll be covering a plasticized cover with lots and lots of duct tape.

Edit: Ok - apparently I missed the fact that the first image is the cover art. I like it lots - keep it exactly like that.
Fortune
QUOTE (HappyDaze)
I found the art a little underwhelming ... I'll get the product, but not because of the art.

That pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject.
Wounded Ronin
I loaded up the page all prepared to be negative and diss the art, but I actually liked it. Yay art!
fistandantilus4.0
I liked "Tradition meets technology" mostly because of the slick style. The first half I wasn't really a fan of, but didn't really hate either. I'll go stand in line with HappyDaze and Fortune.
eidolon
Actually, "it's not like what other companies are doing" is a huge selling point for me when it comes to the SR art.

I'd rather stare at the cover of Augmentation than have to wade through another manga-ripoff ameranime-fest.
HappyDaze
I'd rather stare at the cover of Augmentation than have to wade through another manga-ripoff ameranime-fest.

Two of the other games that I currently play are Warhammer 2e and Legend of the Five Rings 3e. Both have distinctive art and neither is anime/manga-based (not even L5R's Japanese-based imagery).
JongWK
HappyDaze, both games/settings you mention have been around for years. Decades, even.
Ghost in the Machine
QUOTE (Synner)
Corporate Enclaves is the next release on the schedule. Arsenal is also currently in layout and final tweaking. We hope to have both out by the end of the year, but there are elements of the production process that are not contingent on our will alone. We will be posting updates as soon as we have something solid.

Thanks for the update!

I've just started a Shadowrun 4E game, and these books (Arsenal in particular) are eagerly anticipated!

-~GitM
HappyDaze
HappyDaze, both games/settings you mention have been around for years. Decades, even.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. I'm aware of the age of the gamelines - including Shadowrun - but I fail to see how that pertains to my preference for the art of the other lines and the fact that they are not anime-based. IIRC, D&D is one of the lines that is moving towards anime-based imagery and it is older than all the lines.
MITJA3000+
This is pretty off-topic, but I just wanted to say big up to the guys making these books for us. I've always been a huge fan of location sourcebooks, but these sprawl books are definitely the best way to do them, of course, we've only got one at this point, but the format is great. The Shadows of NA/E/A books were pretty nice, but they weren't so useful, at least to me, because of the broadness of the subject.

And on-topic, as for the art, nothing special there, but nothing really ugly. The cover is pretty nice, and in my opinion represents the subject extremely well.
Zak
That work is pretty mediocre quality I have to say. Bit disappointed.
FlakJacket
The only one I really like is Seat of Empire, all the others I'm finding that I neither really like or dislike. I could have liked the Manhattan by Night one more but unfortunately he gave him a fauxhawk and I have a somewhat irrational instant dislike of people that sport them.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Nath)
QUOTE (raggedhalo @ Nov 1 2007, 04:12 PM)
Isn't Monobe the corp that became Renraku?  Or have I totally lost it?

You have totally lost it. Keruba of Slovenia became Renraku Computer Systems. Monobe is a different corp.

...waitamuinute, Slovenia? north of Croatia & Bosnia? the Balkans? Mercenary playground according to [i]SoE[i]? What part of the time line was this? question.gif
Demonseed Elite
Part of the established timeline. See Corporate Download, page 76. Keruba International was a Slovenia-based military consortium that made a small mint in the war-torn days of the early twenty-first century. A young corporate raider named Inazo Aneki took the corporation over after the Crash of '29, relocated it to Chiba, and renamed it Renraku Computer Systems.
Kyoto Kid
...ah, so it occurred before the Euro Wars basically turned the Balkans into a factionalised mosh pit.
Fortune
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...ah, so it occurred before the Euro Wars basically turned the Balkans into a factionalised mosh pit.

Why is that important?
Grinder
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)

And today it is what? biggrin.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Fortune @ Nov 3 2007, 02:35 PM)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Nov 4 2007, 05:32 AM)

Why is that important?

...well for one should Slovenia be an actual corporate power in 2062, it really would have put a bit of a kink in the campaign I am running. According to SoE the Balkans were supposed to be a political mess following the Euro Wars. Just didn't want another "TT sourcebook surprise" like I experienced way back in 2e after I had already written up Portland before that supplement came out.
MaxHunter
well if Slovenia was a war torn mess then it wouldn't really be difficult for armament based corporations to thrive in there. And do not worry about changing timelines....

Such money making does not even need to have an impact on the country's economic welfare, it's stability or the welfare of any of its inhabitants. Trust me, I have lived in South America all of my life. smile.gif

Cheers,

Max
FlakJacket
Well from what I remember from Shadows of Europe Slovenia is still about and hasn't broken apart like the Balkans or Italy so it still has the same borders as today. With a lot of the Balkans going tits up a stable country right next door must be a nice jumping off point. That and Renraku must be minting it from arms sales from Keruba into the region. smile.gif
Casper
We already know that New York is going to be covered in the smaller information section. Has anyone heard what the other locations are going to be?

Adam
I have a hunch that http://shadowrun4.com/products/product.php...p?i=26201&m=cat has the answer! wink.gif
JBlades
Tenochtitlán! Sweet! I am irrationally happy about the idea of totally screwing some runners and sending them there! Seriously! smile.gif
Ryu
Yepp! Tenochtitlán, Europort and FINALLY Neo Tokyo, all in one book! Lingua Softs are something my players will spend money on...
Synner
I'm going to reiterate this because I don't want misunderstandings and wrong expectations: Europort, Dubai, Europort, Manhattan, Nairobi, and Tecnochtitlán are secondary locations getting only short writeups (similar to the backup locations in Runner Havens) - each is a corporate domain with a distinctly different feel and atmosphere.
JBlades
I understand, I'm just excited because I think the locations were well chosen. biggrin.gif
ElFenrir
Art's pretty decent IMO, not the best ive seen, but not the worst. However, I really love that Manhattan at night picture. grinbig.gif Has a great feel to it.
Nath
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Well from what I remember from Shadows of Europe Slovenia is still about and hasn't broken apart like the Balkans or Italy so it still has the same borders as today. With a lot of the Balkans going tits up a stable country right next door must be a nice jumping off point. That and Renraku must be minting it from arms sales from Keruba into the region. smile.gif

As far as I remember, there wasn't anything specific about Slovenia. It was featured on the map as a Balkanic state, with a moving border with Croatia. IRL, Slovenia is faring well, having not being directly involved in any of the area conflicts since it won its own "Ten-Day War" for independence in 1991. It joined NATO and UE in 2004, and converted to Euro this year. Per capita income is on par with South Korea.

Now, Renraku sold most of Keruba core assets (ie, Eastern European armement companies, not just Slovenian) in the 2030s, which were plagued by corruption. Only Izom Armaments remains of those original holdings, and for the record, it's supposed to be a Hungarian company.
Casper
QUOTE (Adam)
I have a hunch that http://shadowrun4.com/products/product.php...p?i=26201&m=cat has the answer! wink.gif

Hey no fair putting pages up after I ask the question.
Adam
I guess I'm still in the clear then, since I put that up before putting up the art preview.
Casper
Guilty of lacking attention to detail this time. I guess it earns me the new title of the lazy poster. biggrin.gif
Kalvan
I'm having a little problem with the whole of Manhattan locked down as a Corporate Enclave.

Yes, I can see Midtown, The Downtown Financial District, the Port Area, the Theater and Shopping districts, and even Chinatown under a dome, but that borough is also home to The Original Hell's Kitchen, Skid Row, Alphabet City, Harlem, El Barrio, and Washington Heights.

But that may just be me...
Grinder
Maybe the wordcount wasn't high enough to cover all of New York and its surrounding area?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012