Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rules questions about Magic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
graywulfe
OK, I've been with the game since 1st edition, I dropped out around 3rd edition. Just got back into the game with 4th edition. Back in 2nd edition there was a rule I remember that allowed you to "ground" spells through Foci, casting a spell into the physical while astrally projecting. I can't find a reference one way or another. Any idea if this is still around?

Also, as I remember it, you could not cast from astral into physical simply by manifesting. However the write up on manifesting in the 4th edition main book. is vague enough it could be taken that way. Any idea on the official ruling?

Graywulfe

P.s. I have dug through both the FAQ and Errata so if the answers are there I have missed them.
DireRadiant
There's also the forum search function.

No grounding spells in SR4.

Manifesting, can't affect Mundane plane except to freely communicate. Otherwise you need to Materialize.
Fortune
QUOTE (graywulfe)
Back in 2nd edition there was a rule I remember that allowed you to "ground" spells through Foci, casting a spell into the physical while astrally projecting. I can't find a reference one way or another. Any idea if this is still around?

Also, as I remember it, you could not cast from astral into physical simply by manifesting. However the write up on manifesting in the 4th edition main book. is vague enough it could be taken that way. Any idea on the official ruling?

No Grounding in SR4 (or SR3 for that matter). You cannot cast spells from one 'plane' to another, not matter what, although you could cast while perceiving on either 'plane' (being dual natured at the time). Spells cast while the caster is solely on the Astral cannot be 'Physical' in nature, and therefore can only be of the 'Mana' variety.

Oh, and welcome to Dumpshock ... and don't mind grumpy. wink.gif
graywulfe
Hey thanks guys, as far as the search function goes I am so used to the other forums I frequent that don't allow non contributors, orin some cases anyone, to search that I didn't even imagine it as an option. Believe me in the future I intend to make lots of use of it so I can become more acquainted with the past threads on this site.

Graywulfe
Falconer
Okay, I guess my impression of something here was wrong. please correct me. I was left w/ the impression that someone who was merely astrally percieving couldn't target spells at purely astral targets. (more was told such)

Character is astrally percieving but not projecting.
Can that character cast spells directly at astral targets?

If he cast a manaball AOE does it affect everything on both plains (since he sees both in the area)? Or is it tunable to be astral or physical only.

DTFarstar
To the best of my knowledge if you are astrally perceiving and casting a mana only spell that CAN target multiple people then yes, in that instance you can in fact target people on both planes simultaneously. So if you were astrally perceiving and cast a manaball it would effect all living targets you could see to target, which if Joe Blow was standing next to the astral form of a shedim or another mage or a spirit or what have you would be both of them.

I could be wrong. I'll look for quotes when I finish my microbiology if no one else has quotes by then. I just noticed the time and 3 ab reports for my 8 AM lab tommorrow is really annoying.

Chris
Fortune
QUOTE (Falconer)
Okay, I guess my impression of something here was wrong. please correct me. I was left w/ the impression that someone who was merely astrally percieving couldn't target spells at purely astral targets. (more was told such)

Character is astrally percieving but not projecting.
Can that character cast spells directly at astral targets?

An Astrally Perceiving mage can cast spells on anyone he sees, regardless of what 'plane' they are on. He can only cast Mana-based spells at purely Astral targets, but can cast either Physical or Mana spells at physical targets.

If he cast a manaball AOE does it affect everything on both plains (since he sees both in the area)?  Or is it tunable to be astral or physical only.

No. A spell can only affect one 'plane' when it is cast. A Perceiving mage could choose which 'plane' his Manaball affected, but couldn't get both Astral and physical targets with one spell.

Now, that being said, he could multi-cast two separate Manaballs at the same time, targeting one on each 'plane'. smile.gif
NightRain
QUOTE (Falconer)

An astrally perceiving mage is dual natured. He is active on both planes at the same time so can target and be targetted by beings on both planes...
Earlydawn
Question of my own; can you withhold regular dice to help with drain, or is that a special function of foci?
Fortune
QUOTE (Earlydawn)
can you withhold regular dice to help with drain ...?

Nope, not in SR4.
bogomips
I figured I would reuse an old topic of a similar nature rather than start a new one. For 4th edition based on the core rules and comments seen here the following is true (stated for clarity only):

1) While astrally perceiving a mage can affect targets in the physical plane or the astral plane but not both at the same time.

2) Only mana spells can affect targets on the astral planes, regardless from which plane the spell is cast.

3) Astrally projecting characters can never casts spells that affect the physical plane regardless of whether the spell was physical or mana in nature or if they were manifested.

4) The function of manifesting is to be visible and communicate; no more, no less.

Now for my own questions:

1) When astrally projecting is it possible to listen in on a conversation or is it necessary to manifest first?

2) When in a location with multiple people is it necessary to manifest to all of them or can one person have an invisible talking friend (until another mage starts to astrally perceive)?

3) Is it necessary to make yourself visible when communicating from the astral plane or can you pretend to be the voice inside a mundane's head?

Thanks for any feedback.
Ravor
As a disclaimer I don't have my books handy to double check so I could be simply blowing smoke but here's my take.

( 1 ) An astral Mage would be able to hear the "emotional vibe" of the conversation, but wouldn't have any more sucess in "listening in" then he would ahve trying to read a book.

( 2 ) Manifesting is all or nothing.

( 3 ) I'd rule yes, you are visable, if you want to make a mundane think he's crazy and can't get within LOS to target the spell, use Ritual Magic, hell every Mage should have that skill regardless.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012