Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recoil
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FlashbackJon
1) Do vehicle/drone hardpoints provide any sort of inherent recoil-comp?

2) Can a vehicle- or drone-mounted weapon be enhanced with gyro-stabilization?

3) The Panther assault cannon refers to its "massive recoil" and even provides the user with 1 point of comp, but as far I can tell, the weapon will never generate any recoil whatsoever (by virtue of being single shot)? What am I missing here?
Ryu
1.) I don´t think so. They only negate the mod for firing from a vehicle.

2.) So far not. Waiting for Arsenal, we are.

3.) You are not missing anything.
Fortune
Don't hardpoints and the like eliminate the 'doubled uncompensated recoil' from those types of weapons?
lunchbox311
QUOTE (FlashbackJon)
1) Do vehicle/drone hardpoints provide any sort of inherent recoil-comp?

not specifically, though the book does not explicitly forbid adding recoil compensation devices (bipod, tripod etc) as a "houserule" (since there has not been any real canon answer that I have seen) we allow all the recoil compensation devices on vehicles as well (just imagine slightly different styles.)

QUOTE (FlashbackJon)
2) Can a vehicle- or drone-mounted weapon be enhanced with gyro-stabilization?

sure why not.... see above

QUOTE (FlashbackJon)
3) The Panther assault cannon refers to its "massive recoil" and even provides the user with 1 point of comp, but as far I can tell, the weapon will never generate any recoil whatsoever (by virtue of being single shot)?  What am I missing here?

This is more of a fluff thing. I think what the people were trying to convey with it is that it is such a huge blast that it kicks the cannon up high and takes longer to bring it down, (hence lowest firing rate of SS.)... There is no in game mechanical bonus or penalty for the cannon firing with or without RC.
Tarantula
Do note that gyro-stabilization DOES negate penalties from moving (-2 from running, or -3 for shooting from a moving vehicle).
Lagomorph
we house rule that weapon points act as a tripod giving -6 RC in addition to preventing double penalties, but by the book it does not
Stahlseele
while we're at it . . what's up with the Yamaha Sakura Fubuki ?
using those rules you could stack them like the metal storm system allready does and get 40 bullets out of it with basically no recoil . .
Fortune
QUOTE (Stahlseele)
what's up with the Yamaha Sakura Fubuki ?
using those rules you could stack them like the metal storm system allready does and get 40 bullets out of it with basically no recoil . .

It already is a mini-Metal Storm weapon. Its limitations are built in, namely ammo capacity.
Falconer
Actually I think the reason the assault cannon has 1 point of recoil compensation is because it has a shoulder stock like a rifle (in the drawing). On every other weapon that's good for 1 point of compensation when used. Hence the (1).
Ryu
QUOTE (Fortune)
Don't hardpoints and the like eliminate the 'doubled uncompensated recoil' from those types of weapons?

They did in SR3 IIRC. If they do in SR4, please point me at the page. We are not satisfied with vehicle armament so far.

QUOTE (Lunchbox)
not specifically, though the book does not explicitly forbid adding recoil compensation devices (bipod, tripod etc) as a "houserule" (since there has not been any real canon answer that I have seen) we allow all the recoil compensation devices on vehicles as well (just imagine slightly different styles.)

I do get the idea of vehicle gyro stabilisation as a house rule, likely close to 1k¥/point up to rating 6. I do not really see why -and more important how- one would make a drone use a bipod/tripod.
lunchbox311
QUOTE (Ryu)
I do get the idea of vehicle gyro stabilisation as a house rule, likely close to 1k¥/point up to rating 6. I do not really see why -and more important how- one would make a drone use a bipod/tripod.

Well I think about it more abstractly.

It is not a traditional tripod in the sense of it has 3 legs that stick out of the bottom, but more along the lines of multi "leg" (or "arm" or what have you) braces that attach to a surface on the drone/vehicle that act as a brace.

They would probably be at least semi-custom jobs for each drone based on the drone design.
Cain
Yeah, but wouldn't that be part of the weapons mount?
Ryu
"Whatever keeps you going through the night" is my opinion on houserules. Yet I would suggest you make up rules for a scaling gyromount (up to rating 6) and "improved" hardpoints that offer RC on their own (up to rating 3).
Kairo
QUOTE (Ryu)
"Whatever keeps you going through the night" is my opinion on houserules. Yet I would suggest you make up rules for a scaling gyromount (up to rating 6) and "improved" hardpoints that offer RC on their own (up to rating 3).

Not a bad suggestion. Flashback Jon is in my online Shadowrun gaming group, so I'll forward the idea on to him.
Riley37
QUOTE (Ryu)
I do not really see why -and more important how- one would make a drone use a bipod/tripod.

Take a look at heavy construction equipment. Several kinds have braces/legs that extend for extra stable ground contact, when the tires' contact patch isn't enough.

Locking the wheels, as most baby carriages and some pushcarts can do, is probably the Doberman equivalent of firing from a kneeling/prone stable stance.
Ryu
Ah ok. Good idea!

The blocked wheels should not do anything that "not moving" doesn´t. The braces will primarily help small drones tolerate uncompensated recoil, which is a capability not in the rules so far. So maybe we could allow heavy weapons firing from a hardpoint if a braces system is extended? I think we are getting somewhere!
kzt
QUOTE (Ryu)
The blocked wheels should not do anything that "not moving" doesn´t.

Actually, they do. With a heavy weapon (recoil relative the the chassis mass) it helps keep the vehicle from being pushed backwards. Which also tends to screw up the accuracy of the gun. There is a reason why SP guns have the big spade on the back.
Ryu
Yeah, but vehicle orientation is very abstract in SR, so relative direction of fire does not change recoil mods anyway. From a reality POV, I´m totally on the same page.
Kairo
QUOTE (Ryu @ Nov 8 2007, 03:23 AM)
Yeah, but vehicle orientation is very abstract in SR, so relative direction of fire does not change recoil mods anyway. From a reality POV, I´m totally on the same page.

Ditto. Man I can't wait for Arsenal to come out. Hopefully it'll remove some of that abstractness that always seems to pop up in our gaming sessions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012