Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SURGE has come early?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Zhan Shi
Indian girl born with four arms and four legs. At the bottom of the article, there's a link for a full body photo. Poor kid. Hope the operation goes well. Info here.

EDIT: Sorry, screwed up typing the link. Fixed it.
Kagetenshi
Aw man, and the Ambidexterity rules were bad enough with just two limbs…

Though actually, that's something I've been putting off addressing for SR3R, the question of what happens if you slap an extra set of shoulders and arms on someone.

~J
Zhan Shi
I'm wondering...how does she excrete waste? From the photo, it looks like all the orifices are blocked. They did'nt explain in the article. But I suppose she has them, somewhere, otherwise she would be dead.
Kagetenshi
I spent some time making sure to not think about that particular question.

~J
FrankTrollman
Damn. I was hoping for four arms all Indian goddess style. Turns out she has them all sticking out octopus style at the bottom. That's a real shame. If she had four functional arms, I'd have totally left them in place. As is, they are just floppy things that interfere with locamotion.

-Frank
Simon May
Looks to me like a failed siamese twin where one simply didn't form properly.
Gelare
QUOTE (Simon May)

QUOTE (News)
The girl is joined to a "parasitic twin" who stopped developing in the mother's womb, while the surviving fetus absorbed the limbs, kidneys and other body parts of the undeveloped fetus. The rare condition is called isciopagus.

Yeah, more or less.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Simon May)

That's exactly what happened, actually (I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, so I'm going with not).
Simon May
No, completely serious. I wasn't going to look until someone mentioned a picture and then I skipped the read.
shadowfire
makes me think of Calthulu
Mercer
I don't say this to be mean (I mean, jeez the poor kid, I hope the operation is a success and she goes on to live a happy and fulfilling life), but it reminds me of the nuclear war episode of the Family Guy where Stewie mutates into an octopus.
Zhan Shi
Newsflash. The operation is completed, and was apparently successful. It took a team of 36 doctors and 40 hours of surgery. But it looks like the kid will be able to have a (relatively) normal life.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Zhan Shi)
Newsflash. The operation is completed, and was apparently successful. It took a team of 36 doctors and 40 hours of surgery. But it looks like the kid will be able to have a (relatively) normal life.

That's good to hear. Thanks for letting us know.
Zhan Shi
De nada. I just pray her parents don't save any baby photos.
fistandantilus4.0
I'd thought aobut putting this up on the front DS page but thought twice about it and decided not to. It's hard not to feel for them after all they went through. The family was apparently offered money for her by a circus of all things. Then there's been villagers worshipping her as a goddess, and telling the family not to have the operation done. She's also apparently had many infections as a side affect too. Real rough time for them all around.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Nov 7 2007, 10:19 PM)
The family was apparently offered money for her by a circus of all things. Then there's been villagers worshipping her as a goddess, and telling the family not to have the operation done.

Of those two, I don't know which makes me more angry, the superstitious villagers, or the amoral circus. The circus is bad enough--you've got someone looking to take advantage of someone else's incredible misfortune--but that's just one or a few people trying to do that. The villagers, however... she's a little girl, that had something incredibly bad happen to her, and they want to keep her that way so that she'll be something tangible they can worship, regardless of her suffering.
Simon May
Taking this in a slightly different direction, what makes the circus amoral?

Having several friends in a local freak show, the circus often offers acceptance to those who don't get it from normal society. They take you as you are and love you for it. Sure, they profit off it, but most circuses barely break even these days. It's more about being able to be yourself than anything else.
Nikoli
Also, while the rubes that attend the circus might gawk and say to themselves "I'm glad that's not me." and basically offer nothing resembling humanity, the members of the 'freak show' are a tight nit, very supportive surrogate family in most cases. Sure you're bound to find jaded SOB's, but that's true anywhere. Also, most circus management treat their freaks with a large amount of respect, they are the golden children of the circus industry.

Given that we can find references to Jesus of Nazareth in emperical Roman records, this makes me wonder about the origins of the multi-limbed gods of Hinduism. Perhaps those folks were once in the same situation as Lakshmi (the baby girl mentioned earlier).
Kagetenshi
Actually, Yeshua of Nazareth is totally absent from all known official records of the time. The earliest sources, last I checked, are from Josephus and Tacitus, and Tacitus doesn't mention that name (he refers to a person named "Christus").

~J
Nikoli
Okay you got me, i was parroting something I heard from someone else without verifying the source myself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012