Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Soylent Green
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Stahlseele
i dunno, i think i was bored . . and my brain decided to go on a little trip without telling me first . . so while listening to people bitch about people eating meat and there being genetically altered stuff in some foods i suddenly get this image . .
A Ghoul saying:"WTF? Under NO Circumstances am i going to eat him! . . With todays Cyber, Bio, Gene and Nano-Tech, who knows what will happen to me if i take a byte of that one . ."
Not really meant to be all that serious, but none the less, have fun discussing *g*
imperialus
Might actually make an interesting antagonist for the PC's. I'm picturing a non-feral ghoul who's still a complete sociopath and has decided that since the meat from most humans is tainted the only way to get real sustenance is by eating children.
DTFarstar
Babies. Non-augmented, no genetech babies. Runs a stillbirth scam at a hospital because I mean, who the hell knows what those Barrens babies have in their bloodstream.

Chris
CircuitBoyBlue
And not going to the Barrens is going to keep the ghouls out of trouble.

Using Original Sin as a garnish is my Anti-Drug.
Stahlseele
i was actually thinking more along the lines of magical folks as they are less likely to have any such things in their bodies . . and of course, all that mana has to be good for something . . AH had some pretty icky blood magical like stuff like this for adepds of the twisted ways *g*
Simon May
So if a pretentious ghoul were stuck in the desert, would he expect to eat mana from heaven?
Stahlseele
nah, he still eats metahuman meat . . the mana is just a nice extra . . tastes like chicken i believe *g*
and in the desert everybody starves if they are not prepared . .
hyzmarca
There is a name for people who thing that genetically altered or irradiated food is dangerous:morons. And PETA are a bunch of hypocritical jackholes who systematically murder tens of thousands of animals every year for their own convenience.

In shadowrun, the only real danger in human slaughter is the chemical gland. Since it can be installed anywhere in the body a great deal of effort must be made to check for it, though very few subjects would actually have one.

Luckily, because chemical glands are not natural human products, you can industrially farm people who don't have them. Yep, that 's right, industrial farming. Anyone can start an industrial human farm with a minimum of investment. All you need is some semen, a few 1' x 1' x3' cages, and some reasonably healthy ladies. Fertility drugs are also very useful, since they potentially allow one to octuple per-unit output.

Now, there are several methods of keeping one's livestock docile. Some prefer an icepick lobotomy. Just shove a pointed piece of metal through the eye and into the brain (but not too far) and swirl it around a little. Even the most unruly of reproduction units can be domesticated this way. However, it is dangerous and makes it impossible for them to attend to their own needs. Worse, if done improperly it can wear off. A more popular choice is the personafix. The Broodcow XP personality module by Microdeck is very popular, though the new Broodcow Vista is both bloated and filled with malware.
Personafix is substantially more expensive than lobotomy, requiring the instillation of dedicated chipjacks. However, it is laborsaving. Lobotomized cows must be manually bathed, turned, and fed daily. Personafixed cows can bathe, turn, and feed themselves, monitor their own health, control their own drug intake, and perform any other function that would otherwise require unskilled labor. At the end of the day, they even return themselves to their tiny, tiny cages and lock themselves in for the night. Best of all, they're happy about it; happy cows make tasty babies*.

Once the food units are born, there is a choice to be made. You can let them grow naturally, you can slaughter them immediately, or you can pump them full of growth hormones for a couple of months. Letting them grow naturally has the disadvantage of keeping the reproduction units busy for up to a year. A lactating reproduction unit is unlikely to become pregnant again. Slaughtering them immediately frees the reproduction units but it produces low yields. The use of growth hormones to quickly bulk them up is the most efficient of all choices. Though many decry the practice as potentially poisoning our children, there is no evidence that these hormones remain in the meat.

*"Happy cows make tasty babies" is a registered trademark of Swift's Genuine Irish Food, all rights reserved, used with permission.
JBlades
Bonus points for a Jonathan Swift reference. smokin.gif
Riley37
Orks have excellent reproduction rates for Modest Proposal purposes.

Discriminating gourmand ghouls prefer the flesh of athletic Adepts, rather than meat that has been ruined by Muscle Toner, Muscle Augmentation, or Muscle Replacement. Adrenal boosters are also a no-no for the fine palate. Opinions vary on parathyroid-boosted flesh, and on whether elf goes better with white or red wine.

Juggernaut Jones (BOD 5/7, AGI 8/10, STR 5/7) was an Urban Brawl legend, until he was recategorized as "free-range, hormone-free", and eaten at the 2067 Seattle Tamanous Annual Picnic.

Side story on PETA: when they decided to get a website, they found that the domain peta.org was already claimed... it was registered to "People Eating Tasty Animals".
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_Eating_Tasty_Animals

Oh dear, I think Hyzmarca has been a bad influence on me.
bibliophile20
Orks have excellent reproduction rates for Modest Proposal purposes.

Discriminating gourmand ghouls prefer the flesh of athletic Adepts, rather than meat that has been ruined by Muscle Toner, Muscle Augmentation, or Muscle Replacement. Adrenal boosters are also a no-no for the fine palate. Opinions vary on parathyroid-boosted flesh, and on whether elf goes better with white or red wine.

Juggernaut Jones (BOD 5/7, AGI 8/10, STR 5/7) was an Urban Brawl legend, until he was recategorized as "free-range, hormone-free", and eaten at the 2067 Seattle Tamanous Annual Picnic.

Actually, animals that move around alot tend to have tough and gamey flesh; there's a reason that premium livestock is so incredibly pampered. So instead of feeding on adepts and athletes, they would go for the white collar people that take less than 500 steps per day.

Side story on PETA: when they decided to get a website, they found that the domain peta.org was already claimed... it was registered to "People Eating Tasty Animals".

Ah, PETA, my favorite organization of hypocrites; each time I find myself drifting too far to the left in response to the current administration's idiocy, I do a little research on these nutcases and move solidly back to my moderate position.

Oh dear, I think Hyzmarca has been a bad influence on me.

Gee, ya think? biggrin.gif

(side note, how do you pronounce Hyzmarca? I've found myself going with "His-Mark-Ah".
imperialus
QUOTE (JBlades)
Bonus points for a Jonathan Swift reference. smokin.gif

I was kicking myself trying to remember why that seemed so familiar.
Simon May
QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Nov 10 2007, 12:35 AM)
Actually, animals that move around alot tend to have tough and gamey flesh; there's a reason that premium livestock is so incredibly pampered.  So instead of feeding on adepts and athletes, they would go for the white collar people that take less than 500 steps per day.

This is why Technomancers are so rare. Not only do they sit in dark holes voluntarily for most of their life, but their exercise levels are minimal at best. That makes them the top shelf meat, and likely the most ghoul harvested.

Technomancers = Metahuman veal.
Serial_Peacemaker
Honestly I thought Ghouls liked flesh that had gone a little decayed. Kind of like how crocodiles hide the body underwater for a few days after they kill it? Also I'm sure that some Ghouls like that extra tang from an adrenal gland.
Stahlseele
nah, ghouls just need flesh of beings that were sapient apprearantly . . if they would eat only flesh that's allready decaying then why would they ever go out and hunt instead of just wait and loot ?
hyzmarca
Actually, they can only eat rotting flesh and a small portion of their diet must be rotting metahuman flesh. Sapience has nothing to do with it. A ghoul can't get its rotting metahuman flesh requirement from any other species but oncce that requirement is satisfied it doesn't matter what type of rotting flesh it eats.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Serial_Peacemaker)
Honestly I thought Ghouls liked flesh that had gone a little decayed. Kind of like how crocodiles hide the body underwater for a few days after they kill it? Also I'm sure that some Ghouls like that extra tang from an adrenal gland.

You're telling me you don't like aged steaks?
DTFarstar
Just got to let it go a little green before throwing it on the grill. Mmmmm.....

Chris
Serial_Peacemaker
I'm also not sure if they can eat *cooked* flesh either. Thats the point with Ghouls, they are carrion eaters. If they kill you its because they feel threatened, or in the case of non-feral reasons for the usual reasons people kill one another.
hobgoblin
hmm, can ghouls eat wimps?
Cthulhudreams
Its not like they drain essence or anything so why not. And corpses are pretty cheap to clone really (you get one free with your platnium doc wagon subscription) so I figured not poor ghouls ate those.
Simon May
When Bricktop arrived in the 1070s, he dumped his pigs for a pack of ghouls.Ghouls can go through bones like butter too, but they're much better conversationalists than pigs.
hobgoblin
btw, im going over augmentation, but cant find the bit of text that specifically say what wimp stands for (if anything). anyone know?
Jaid
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
btw, im going over augmentation, but cant find the bit of text that specifically say what wimp stands for (if anything). anyone know?

clones.
hobgoblin
well i knew that. but i was under the impression that said nickname came from something, like maybe a acronym?
Narse
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

Weakly Interacting Massive Particles.
But as their name implies, they probably wouldn't interact with your digestive tract and therefore would neither be tasty or nutritious.
hobgoblin
heh, did you come up with that yourself, or can you give me a page reference?
Narse
Its not in Aug. You see I'm a physics major and I just couldn't resist the reference.
WIMPs

Actually as I don't even have Augmentation, I couldn't say if it is or isn't in there. However, I strongly suspect that it isn't as I was responding solely tongue-in-cheek.
hobgoblin
well i could have sworn someone said they had found it, but then it was in the augmentation thread, and for whatever reason my search-fu is failing me...
PH3NOmenon
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
well i could have sworn someone said they had found it, but then it was in the augmentation thread, and for whatever reason my search-fu is failing me...

it most surely is in augmentation, in the fluff on cloning. Read it last night.

CAn't find the page tho.
Riley37
A short story with overlapping theme:

www.alexandraerin.com/stories/2007/the-redundant-man-who-was-redundant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012