Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Right Tradition?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
NightmareX
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Nov 8 2007, 04:17 AM)
Does it matter which fundamentally wrong view of magic is easier?

~J

A couple quick questions if you will Kagetenshi? First, why do you view both mentioned traditions (Shamanism and Chaos Magic, skirting the issue of whether Chaos magic is really a tradition or not of course) as fundamentally wrong?

And second, what, if any, tradition do you view as having the right view of magic? And why?

Not looking for an argument, just curious.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (NightmareX)
A couple quick questions if you will Kagetenshi? First, why do you view both mentioned traditions (Shamanism and Chaos Magic, skirting the issue of whether Chaos magic is really a tradition or not of course) as fundamentally wrong?

Because they dress up a simple physical (perhaps "energetic" is better) process with mystical nonsense and invent an invisible friend to explain why they can do what they can do.

And second, what, if any, tradition do you view as having the right view of magic? And why?

Though I object to the term and to the trappings of mysticism that many practitioners have taken up, the so-called Hermetic tradition at least ostensibly approaches magic with a properly rigorous mindset.

~J
JBlades
Wow, what thread is this from? It got interesting quick! smile.gif
Pendaric
Which form of hermetism? There are several, including chaos magic...
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Pendaric)

Those are trappings of mysticism.

~J

(Hey look, when I'm at work the hosts file on my laptop doesn't affect me!)
Cain
So, you view Quabbalists (strict Jewish followers of the Tree of Life and the True Name of God) to be the same as Alchemists (property of matter and the purification of the human soul) and Aleister Crowley? Just with different trappings?
Pendaric
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Pendaric @ Nov 11 2007, 07:26 PM)

Those are trappings of mysticism.

~J

(Hey look, when I'm at work the hosts file on my laptop doesn't affect me!)

So a UMT mage that seeks to break through the mysticism to pure theory? Or perhapes a psionist that does not dabble in the mystic at all?
Sir_Psycho
I wouldn't call a totem an "invisible friend" seeing as they do actually appear in Shadowrun canon, if I remember correctly.

Didn't some hapless magician set free the spider totem from Uluru or some other outback area?

And is it really easier? You really do have to structure your life (including your personality and defects [hello, majorly destructive seductress shamans]) to the ideals of your totem to keep your magical power. I'd say this is equal to the rigorous study of formulae of your standard vanilla hermetic. Not to mention that the same amount of time and energy has to be spent learning the specific spells and metamagics.

Also, Chaos hermetics also devote themselves to rigorous study aswell, but instead of only using formula written in say, hard-copy Latin, they may also use word of mouth, the matrix magic SIG's, Runic formulae, and more. They still study and understand all the formulae that your standard bookworm hermetic does, so I fail to see why it is "fundamentally wrong", especially seeing as magic use in Shadowrun is all about channeling the manasphere and the metaplanes, not which particular trapping you use, unless you want to do something specific, like create a grande zombie, or summon a blood spirit.
Glyph
The way that magic is wired in Shadowrun, you need some kind of belief system to connect to it. Either you merge it with your religious and/or superstitious beliefs, or you try to come up with a logical framework that describes how magic works.

The trouble with the latter is that one, magic is hard to test by the scientific method, and two, just as with using religion, any theory, right or wrong, can fuel a hermetic's magical abilities. So it's kind of hard to determine whose theory on the nature of the metaplanes is correct, when both hermetic mages can get tangible results using those theories.

Hermeticism is still on the right track, though, because of the simple, observable fact that people with wildly different views can use magic, and their preconceived notions affect how their magic works, what kind of spirits appear for them, and how those spirits interact with them.
NightmareX
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Because they dress up a simple physical (perhaps "energetic" is better) process with mystical nonsense and invent an invisible friend to explain why they can do what they can do.

Though I object to the term and to the trappings of mysticism that many practitioners have taken up, the so-called Hermetic tradition at least ostensibly approaches magic with a properly rigorous mindset.

Actually, it seems you have an inaccurate view of Chaos magic then my friend (forgive me if that familiarity is too presumptuous). Chaos magic was founded to do precisely what you are talking about - cutting through the mysticism, invisible friends, and bullshit in order to simply do magic that works. Results are everything. Hell, most Chaos types don't even care much about theory, since theory is just a temporary tool anyway. Wikipedia's page on the subject explains in more detail. In the world of SR, Chaos magic is basically UMT minus the unified theory plus a good dose of humor (in many cases).

This is why I hesitate to call it a tradition really - it's more of a meta-tradition that scavenges techniques and inspiration from other traditions, works with them, then throws them aside until needed or wanted again. When not making techniques up whole cloth that is.

Of course, this really couldn't be modeled well in the SR4 tradition system (without saying something like "pick any five spirits you feel like, associate them with a random spell type, and pick a drain att - rense wash and repeat when you feel like it") so mechanically it ended up looking like a bastard son of Hermeticism with some fluff tacked on that says "they kinda use whatever works" same as in 3rd edition. Not really the author's fault, as some sort of game balance had to be maintained.

QUOTE (Glyph)
The trouble with the latter is that one, magic is hard to test by the scientific method, and two, just as with using religion, any theory, right or wrong, can fuel a hermetic's magical abilities.

This is basically the heart of Chaos magic - that any belief is sufficient to use in working magic, thus making belief itself just another tool to be used, changed, and discarded at will.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Cain)
So, you view Quabbalists (strict Jewish followers of the Tree of Life and the True Name of God) to be the same as Alchemists (property of matter and the purification of the human soul) and Aleister Crowley? Just with different trappings?

Absolutely—much as pole dancing and acrobatics are much the same movements of the human body with different trappings.

QUOTE (Pendaric)
So a UMT mage that seeks to break through the mysticism to pure theory? Or perhapes a psionist that does not dabble in the mystic at all?

No more so than Time Cube seeks to break through the mysticism to pure theory, or the followers of José Silva do not dabble in the mystic at all.

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho)
Didn't some hapless magician set free the spider totem from Uluru or some other outback area?

I believe it was Twist, but yes, Spider and the Insect "totems" are clearly different matters—which suggests that they are fundamentally different from the shared delusion of the Shamans.

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho)
And is it really easier? You really do have to structure your life (including your personality and defects [hello, majorly destructive seductress shamans]) to the ideals of your totem to keep your magical power.

I don't believe I ever claimed it was easier. Likewise, individuals exhibiting obsessive-compulsive behaviour must structure their lives around rituals which can become sources of great distress.

QUOTE (NightmareX)
Actually, it seems you have an inaccurate view of Chaos magic then my friend (forgive me if that familiarity is too presumptuous). Chaos magic was founded to do precisely what you are talking about - cutting through the mysticism, invisible friends, and bullshit in order to simply do magic that works. Results are everything. Hell, most Chaos types don't even care much about theory, since theory is just a temporary tool anyway. Wikipedia's page on the subject explains in more detail. In the world of SR, Chaos magic is basically UMT minus the unified theory plus a good dose of humor (in many cases).

While they at least recognize belief as shiftable and malleable, it is still regarded as important.

~J
nezumi
Kage, while in general I agree with you, in this case I have to take a contrary position (and dare I say it, offense!) There is far too much in the world which cannot be explained by hermeticism alone. Not to say hermeticism hasn't learned to use the tools first given to our spiritual elders and that their methods aren't functional, but they refuse to believe anything they can't put in a beaker and test. Well God doesn't fit in a beaker, my friend. So rather than admit their theory has holes, they simply hand-wave it with their own 'scientific spiritualism', spiritualism with the modern trappings. They might as well say 'reverse the polarity of the warp drives' and be done with it, for all they're willing to truly explore their world.

The simple fact is, totems have been proven to exist, and to impress their will on the world, even while they struggle to keep the distance necessary to allow space for faith. No hermetic has as of yet been given the ability to speak with the spirit of old man oak or to tap into the thoughts of the newly built sky-scraper. They have not been able to invite in the strength of their loa, allowing the body to do things beyond the abilities of any normal human. For all their science and numbers, they still cannot approach the power of my totem, old man drop bear.

Hermeticism is a focus on substance, without an understanding of the spiritual. They can make tools, but cannot inspire, they can drive the ship, but cannot see the course. They are without the greater understanding of their place in the universe, and while so self-inflated with their own egos, will never truly be able to master it.

When you can explain why a hermetic cannot achieve what shamans can do with hardly a thought, then perhaps I will agree, but in the meantime, we have the strength, the spirit, and the wisdom you cannot find in any text book.
JBlades
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (NightmareX)

While they at least recognize belief as shiftable and malleable, it is still regarded as important.

~J

That is actually factually incorrect. Chaos magic treats belief as an exercise in distracting the conscious mind so that the will of the subconscious can manifest. It also specifically teaches that the belief itself is unimportant for any other reason, hence the ability to interchange them at will is developed.
NightmareX
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

Yes, that is until one reaches the (IMO) inevitable position that because belief is shiftable and malleable it is essentially optional - even in the working of magic in some ways. For instance - if one believes that concentrating on sigil X while playing Halo will achieve effect Y, the exact mechanism how the effect is achieved is largely regarded as unimportant (or armchair intellectualism at best).
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (NightmareX)
For instance - if one believes that concentrating on sigil X while playing Halo will achieve effect Y

So, in this example effect Y is reloading your gun, or if you concentrate on sigil X a little bit longer, swapping your weapon for the one on the ground. Right?
I'm sorry, was that not a question? grinbig.gif
NightmareX
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
So, in this example effect Y is reloading your gun, or if you concentrate on sigil X a little bit longer, swapping your weapon for the one on the ground. Right?
I'm sorry, was that not a question? grinbig.gif

In theory, yes. But then, everything works in theory biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012