Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is the Commlink already starting to emerge?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
fatal2ty
http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/12/googles...-now-available/

looks wicked, very modern, very ergonomical, the I-Phone has nothing on this
Kyoto Kid
...I'd say more the Pocket Secretary as it is incapable of VR.
fatal2ty
well, we're still a ways away from full VR, but my ideal Commlink/Cyberdeck -VR -AR would perform like this
Sir_Psycho
Runners required for swift wetwork on Google IT geeks with grating californian accents. Generous Nuyen incentives.
Call Sea-Tac\#\555\5555\5555
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (fatal2ty)
well, we're still a ways away from full VR, but my ideal Commlink/Cyberdeck -VR -AR would perform like this

...however VR capability is one of standard features of the commlink (4e) and second it still requires keypad/touch screen interaction which is why I still place it in the Pocket Secretary/HH Comp (albeit a top line one) class.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (fatal2ty)

Ermm, it looks like a Treo or Blackjack.

I'm not dissing the design since I've got a Treo 650 but the form factor isn't particularly innovative. I'm not going to comment on the specs until it goes into production.
martindv
hahaha

Android was dead before it was announced. Unless somehow Google manages to buy into the spectrum (or just dump some of its cash reserves into buying a cellular telco) no telecom company is going to ever sign up with them.

CNET: The Achilles' heel in Google's phone plan

EDIT: I take that back. In rational nations where the telecommunications systems aren't bass ackwards, Android might have a chance and would be cool (assuming, that is, there aren't already better systems out there or en route). In the U.S. Android is doomed because the FCC and the telco companies have no interest in altering the status quo so radically.
fatal2ty
QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
QUOTE (fatal2ty)

Ermm, it looks like a Treo or Blackjack.

I'm not dissing the design since I've got a Treo 650 but the form factor isn't particularly innovative. I'm not going to comment on the specs until it goes into production.

i partially agree with your argument, but the innovation in this case isn't the ergonomics or the phone design, its in the Operating System itself.

the 2 demo models aren't representative of what Android would be capable of, just contemporary examples in a simple design.

as for Android being dead, all the material I've read makes it seem like its just gone more under wraps and google is avoiding confrontation about it right now.

maybe I'm just hoping, but I think a truly open platform such as this can really revolutionize the wireless phone/internet networks
Snow_Fox
In my office my phone can be a hand held unit but usually I have a small clip on my ear. the mike doesn't even have a boom. it's wirelss and powerful enough I can go out into the pakringl ot and get osmethingo ut of my car while still talknig on the phone. alter that a little to cover the team in a small area instead of one to one on the desk unit and there you go.(and yes i get a kick when the obnouxious slaes manager I'm talking to has no clue what I'm doing.)
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (fatal2ty)
i partially agree with your argument, but the innovation in this case isn't the ergonomics or the phone design, its in the Operating System itself.

Well and good but your original post consisted of "looks wicked, very modern, very ergonomical, the I-Phone has nothing on this."

maybe I'm just hoping, but I think a truly open platform such as this can really revolutionize the wireless phone/internet networks

The biggest thing that Android has is the Google buzz and Google money. Google bought Android Inc., a company founded by Andy Rubin. Rubin also founded Danger, the maker of the Sidekick

Linux phones have been out since 2003, though mostly in Asia. In 2004, Motorola released one to the US market that included a Java VM with 3D support. The Open Moko project has been public for around a year with a cell phone with a fully exposed Linux OS, as well as developer kits including test hardware, available. Not as far along as Android but it doesn't have Andy's Danger/sidekick money.

Android isn't high profile because it's something new but because it is google.

I appreciate what the google hype machine can do for open platforms and I won't denigrate their platform, but they are just the latest of a long series of similar projects.
Blade
Well, the iPhone's success isn't because it's something new (expect in terms of ergonomics) but because it's Apple/iPod.

As for commlinks emerging, PDA and mobile phone have been around for some years now. Smartphones are more recent, but aren't that new (even if in my opinion really good smartphones have yet to come).

Services for mobile phones are developping. They're already there in Japan and South Korea.

What we're lacking is:
* Ubiquitous computing: Off-the-shelves coffee makers still can't be remotely controlled from your phone.
* Convenient input/outputs: small keyboard/thumbboards/touchscreen aren't convenient. So are small screens. Besides, you have to take your phone out of your pocket every time you need to use it.
* Long lasting batteries.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Blade)
Well, the iPhone's success isn't because it's something new (expect in terms of ergonomics) but because it's Apple/iPod.

Eh? That's a very curious way of saying "because it involves a radically different interface", though I guess I can kind of see it, because that's ultimately what worked for the iPod as well.

~J
Blade
Not "radically" different. You have the same menus, buttons and same touchscreen you have on a lot of smartphones... Well, the touchscreen is multi touch, but with its size it's just a gimmick.

The big difference is the feel. It feels smoother.
Oh, and they have you use your finger rather than a stylus, but nothing prevents you from using your fingers on other touchscreen devices.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Blade @ Nov 14 2007, 05:01 AM)

Eh? That's a very curious way of saying "because it involves a radically different interface", though I guess I can kind of see it, because that's ultimately what worked for the iPod as well.

~J

You apparently aren't familiar with the MacZealot phenomena. There are a core group of people who believe that Apple can do no wrong. They are generally professional types, often with an artsy bent, that can afford the apple surcharge. They are the same demographic as hybrid early adopters.

The Mac Zealot's disposable income provides a reliable core market that keeps Apple afloat. When apple does come up with some truly elegant design (e.g. the Ipod), they generate the word of mouth buzz.

The ipod was a great design because the interface was both grandmother-friendly and full featured (for an MP3 player). I personally feel the Iphone will be a lukewarm product in the long run b/c it is grandmother-friendly but limited in functionality compared to other smart phones. It does nothing that my several years old Treo 650 cannot. Someone has probably already written a touch gestures program.

Zealotry isn't limited to Apple; linux has their own Spanish Inquisition of open source proponents. The difference is that Mac Zealots revere elegance and refinement of design while Linux Zealots are about openness and efficiency. People who like elegant and refined design are simply more acceptable to the masses and are better and evangelizing.

Google doesn't have Zealots, AFAIK, but it has impressed the bulk of the internet, which gives Android quite a bit of marketing and political capital. Plus they are stoked with real cash-type capital. Buying Android & Rubin gives them technical capital with the handset vendors, since the Sidekick is a pretty successful product.

Plus Android give the handset vendors an alternate external platform they can use to manipulate Microsoft. Palm, I hate to say, has dropped the ball too many times and is small enough MS could buy them. Nobody's buying Google anytime soon.

I hope Android turns out to be good; I'd really like to load a Palm emulator (or the Linux/Palm environment) so I can keep my Palm apps. I don't care so much about the palm phone app or browser, I want my older apps.
bibliophile20
Would Hawk of the Applegeeks webcomic be a good example of a MacZealot?
kigmatzomat
Zealot's proselytize. Hawk just has lust in his heart for all things Apple, so he's a Mac Addict.

Brent from PVP is a classic mac zealot. Artsy, disposable cash, buys everything apple produces (like Hawk) but also thinks that PCs are garbage and that everyone should be so enlightened as to worship at the altar of Jobs.
Fortune
QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
... so he's a Mac Addict.

I'm a Big Mac addict. biggrin.gif
kigmatzomat
While not entirely relevant to Commlinks, this post about running PalmOS on other Linux devices is what I'm craving. If I could move to a Gphone with PalmOS binary emulator there's a good chance it would be my next smart phone.
martindv
QUOTE (fatal2ty @ Nov 13 2007, 05:30 PM)

Not in this country.

You're hoping to open an open system (Internet) based around a closed system (telecommunications common carriers) which is operated by a handful of corporations in concert with the governments that are supposed to be regulating them (starting with the FCC and FTC) that are seeking to do the exact opposite actually be opened further, even to the point of encroaching on the larger system? What are you high?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012