Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Going to the shops?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sir_Psycho
Why is it that we instinctively, as players, throw on at least a secure long coat (maybe with some gel packs, to boot), and holster at least one troll-killing heavy caliber pistol?

Is the threat we face daily from overzealous and vindictive gamemaster's of smg wielding waiter-assassins so great, that we can't enjoy a movie or a drink at a bar in jeans and a t-shirt? Do we really need the Smartlinked (Mark II, of course) Colt Manhunter with EX-Explosive rounds to take down that ever present charging troll physad?

Yes, we are Shadowrunners, many of us hardened criminals, baptised by blood. But don't we ever resort to our resourcefulness, our tactics and our skills when the going gets tough in an unexpected situation? Rather than blowing out the kneecaps of the assailing drunkard out with a browning max power in a light pub brawl (I actually did this once, as a non-lethal and considerate take-down, go figure).

Where I'm trying to get with this diatribe is I understand that we live in a rough world, and survive by being the roughest, shadowiest and often amoral or even immoral skags there is, but when your hold-out is really an APDS Predator-III and your Light side-arm is an ARES HVAR, haven't we gone a little overboard, and brought our uptime into our downtime, having our eggs easy over AND sunny-side-up?

How do you, as players, GM's and runners feel about our loaded for bear (and maybe the occasional Piasma) attitude to going to a restaurant, the movies, the shops, dive bars and various meets with contacts. And why the hell did you bother with that Wildcat 6 anyway?

Personally I'd like to tone down, maybe go out not wearing armour and a hold out pistol in my boot. Your average everyday assailant perhaps shouldn't be wearing body armour (and there's always called shots) and should have a lower proffesional rating than I, so really if I sink a shot or two into his midriff, he should probably drek himself and bolt, if he hasn't doubled over in pain. Or better yet, I'm sure that ganger will look the other way with his rusty knife if I chop him in the throat or dislocate a shoulder with my Karate skills. Perhaps I will thud that parking fine wielding skag with a slap of a shock glove, rather than say, aerating him and hanging him out to dry from the rear bumper of my westwind.

Contributions and hilarious exaggurations appreciated. Get to it.
Fortune
If I personally was in the situation where I made my living by regularly breaking the laws, and maybe a whole lot more, I wouldn't even take the trash out without packing a weapon, if not more than one. I don't see any reason why this would be strange. Add in a society where there are indeed rampaging trolls and hyped-up physical adepts, not to mention lightning bolt-wielding mages, some of whom might be quite upset at me personally for past indiscretions, and the donning of armor in order to walk the dog just doesn't seem all that excessive.

But maybe that's just me.
bofh
Well the group I have right now killed three members of a close knit, four member shadowrun team. I suspect she's looking for the group even as we speak. They also had the hostage killed so it's also possible that Ares is currently hiring. The group put a Lone Star officer in the hospital so they're on the hunt. They kidnapped a girl from an ex-military guy who has close ties to a three member assault team _and_ the girl was assassinated. The girl's mom has Yakuza connections and works for Federated-Boeing so _they_ might be hiring.

Heck, they have to be careful just going out for a soyakaf latte at Soybucks.

Carl
Stahlseele
Hrm, i never go out without my trsty form-fitting full body armor . . if the weather is bad(come on, this is seattle *g*) i take the armored trench-coat . . As i play mostly Combat Characters (mainly Trolls) it ain't even too much out of character to be at least lightly armed(taser, dart-pistol, forearm-snap-blades, hardliner gloves, shock-glove, telescoping staff and if i expect to go to parts where i am not every day or going to a meeting with a johnson there's at least a savalette guardian and an ares viper slivergun in there too . . GM is happy that i leave the long arms at home most of the time *g* . . else i'd be packing a Franchi SPAS-22 and a pole-arm ^^
Critias
Considering what I carry with me everywhere, every day, when I'm not a professional criminal by trade, I never felt like a hold-out (packing EX) and some thunderwear or armored clothing were uncalled for for my Adepts and Street Sammies.
Stahlseele
heh, yeah . . urban camo-clothing, heavy leather with some hardened plastic plates, security boots with steel toe cap . . and to some parts of town i don't go without at least a knuckle duster . . in shadowrun, this is every day clothing as it is for me today . . professionals who KNOW (and don't just suspect) how dangerous that world is are bound to wear a little bit more protection i'd think . .
ShadowDragon8685
There's a much simpler explaination, and a way to get it.

Have your entire team kit out in their civvies - T-shirts, no armor, jeans, maybe a leather jacket, and carry the lightest pistol you can find that's not a holdout... I forget the name of it, I never bothered.

Now, say this team of friends has the munchies bad. Well, that's what they made Stuffer Shacks for.

I hope you've seen where I'm going with this. Run through Food Fight with only a light pistol (and Ball ammo) and leather jacket, and if you survive, you probably won't walk out the front door again carrying anything lighter than an Ares Predator III, Smartlinked, and loaded for bear with Ex-Ex or APDS. And I doubt you'll want to walk out in less than an Urban Explorer, if not full sec armor, and carrying at least an Ingram Smartgun.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Stahlseele)
heh, yeah . . urban camo-clothing, heavy leather with some hardened plastic plates, security boots with steel toe cap . . and to some parts of town i don't go without at least a knuckle duster . . in shadowrun, this is every day clothing as it is for me today . . professionals who KNOW (and don't just suspect) how dangerous that world is are bound to wear a little bit more protection i'd think . .

eek.gif Where do you live??? And why are you still there?
Blade
The fluff seems to show that most people wear reinforced clothing, even non shadowrunners. It's even fashionable, as long as it's subtle enough.

Besides, the C rating neighborhoods have always been described as neighborhood where you can walk around without a gun... most of the time.

So if the average SINner walks around with armored clothes and an Aztech BattlePEZ gun, no wonder the runner won't go out without his trusty Predator and armored long coat.
Trax
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Nov 13 2007, 10:37 AM)
There's a much simpler explaination, and a way to get it.

Have your entire team kit out in their civvies - T-shirts, no armor, jeans, maybe a leather jacket, and carry the lightest pistol you can find that's not a holdout... I forget the name of it, I never bothered.

Now, say this team of friends has the munchies bad. Well, that's what they made Stuffer Shacks for.

I hope you've seen where I'm going with this. Run through Food Fight with only a light pistol (and Ball ammo) and leather jacket, and if you survive, you probably won't walk out the front door again carrying anything lighter than an Ares Predator III, Smartlinked, and loaded for bear with Ex-Ex or APDS. And I doubt you'll want to walk out in less than an Urban Explorer, if not full sec armor, and carrying at least an Ingram Smartgun.

Heh, when I first played SR, our GM did this. Everyone did leave all their stuff behind and only brought light pistols, or no weapons. I was the only one with a heavy pistol, but it was a Warhawk, so despite that I would only be able to fire once per turn against a group with shotguns, SMG's, and a crazed wannabe-sam.

It didn't help that I stood out in the open and used most of my combat pool in shooting the Warhawk at the Shotgun dude (which STILL missed), only to be blasted into the shelves by a double burst from crazy SMG lady with the spiked heels.

In the end, TPK. Noboby survied due to various mistakes.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (pbangarth)
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Nov 13 2007, 11:10 AM)

eek.gif Where do you live??? And why are you still there?

Hamburg, the dirty Venice of the north in the good old allied states of germany . . or german allied states, whatever it's called in english *g*
and i do still live here because of that flair . . and i still LIVE period because of what i wear *g*
Hamburg is a beautyfull city and one of superlatives . . but i've made some friends and through them some enemies so it all more or less evens out . . i got a long black coat and ripped w hole into the inner pocket on the left side so i could place my sword with it's sheath in there . . and yes, i did get to draw it once in self defense . . two wanna-be gangstas tried to get my stuff with their cute little butterfly knives . . they did not wanna dance when i pulled out my ninjato
Critias
Me and my plain ol' CCW feel a lot cooler all of a sudden.
Stahlseele
CCW?
Toras
If memory serves on of the Guides had entire production lines for hidden or otherwise unstated armored clothing. Most of the clothing listed is armored to a slightly degree, and there are few reasons to avoid at least armored clothing.

If they made it easy, I suspect I'd be wearing it as well. But that's more as a Scout thing than any real need.
darthmord
QUOTE (Stahlseele)
CCW?

Conceal Carry Weapon
Simon May
QUOTE (Blade)
The fluff seems to show that most people wear reinforced clothing, even non shadowrunners. It's even fashionable, as long as it's subtle enough.

This, personally, is the key for me.

If you've seen Beverly Hills Cop 3, you probably remember the gun show. I imagine that most armor is fashionable and most fashion is armored, for the functional and stylish flare you're looking for.

That being said, if the world weren't so dark and dangerous, then of course most criminals would act normal and not wear armor or carry weapons off the job. All the thieves and gangers I know (which is more than I probably should) only pack for work. Walking outside to take out the trash, if they were armored and packing, their neighbors might call the cops. So it's a balance between function and hackle-raising.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Toras @ Nov 13 2007, 12:51 PM)
If memory serves on of the Guides had entire production lines for hidden or otherwise unstated armored clothing.  Most of the clothing listed is armored to a slightly degree, and there are few reasons to avoid at least armored clothing. 

If they made it easy, I suspect I'd be wearing it as well.  But that's more as a Scout thing than any real need.

...that would be the Neo Anarchist's Guide to Real Life and later Cannon Companion.

The major lines were Vashion Island, Victory, Aramanté, Mortimer of London, and Zoé (my fave for the "Heritage" series). Some were modular in the sense that components each had an armour value that added with the other components.

Hopefully some of these will return in Arsenal
Daddy's Little Ninja
I was under the impression that things like armored dusters were common. That was why starlight dresses and armored suits existed. For a 'social' evening each character has a 'normal load' that they are asumed to have on them at all times.

If it is moreof a run we go up to 'run mode' SMG's and shotguns and "Combat mode "Assault rifles and MG's. But other than the normal load we have to tell the GM what we are packing in each of those.

This is not so uncommon as you might think. In RL my husband usually carries a gun most times. So does Snow Fox.
Simon May
In Colorado, where I live, we have an open carry law. I've been tempted to buy a gun and walk around with it strapped to my hip just to see how people react. Quite frankly, I hate guns and would never keep it loaded, but I think it would be an interesting social experiment since it's legal here.
Daddy's Little Ninja
Pennsylvania it is a concealed carry. They have to keep it out of sight. I think that is Why SF has so many comments about concealing weapons. She has lots of practice.
MaxHunter
Some of the characters in a group I GMed used to wear civ clothes, no armor and carry no guns when doing downtime and fluff talk. -like going to the SS- They liked to play it cool and most of the times nothing happened.
Of course, once those runners got important enough to have their enemies actually go looking for them that trend changed.

Of course, having the elf almost kidnapped by a bunch of thugs in Tenochtitlán helped them change their casual wear notions.
Nowadays all players have dutifully handed out maps of their apartments, including notes to where all the guns are hidden and emergency escape routes. The ork tank, for instance, has many shotguns and rifles piled up in his bathtub. He seldom used it anyway.

Cheers,

Max
Mercer
When not working, the only thing my character takes with him is a Leather Jacket and maybe a flashpack. (Actually, my current character is in SR4, so its a little easier to get by without serious ballistic protection. In previous editions I'd be unlikely to go anywhere without at least a lined coat and a heavy pistol.)
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Simon May)
In Colorado, where I live, we have an open carry law. I've been tempted to buy a gun and walk around with it strapped to my hip just to see how people react. Quite frankly, I hate guns and would never keep it loaded, but I think it would be an interesting social experiment since it's legal here.

My advice? Don't.

Don't wear a piece unless you are clear with yourself that you intend to use deadly force in the protection of yourself and/or others.

And carrying openly? That's like walking into a dojo, ripping your T-shirt off, and screaming "I know Ju-Jitsu, who wants a piece of this?!"

So carrying openly, without training, as a self-avowed gun-hater who has said they will keep it unloaded, would be like me, a 500-lb tub of lard who know how to throw maybe one kick, and has had all of a half-hour's actual instruction in actual grappling, doing the above.
Sir_Psycho
Of course I wasn't talking about runner's laying low from the heat. They of course have every reason to sit on their safehouse rooftop with an Ingram valiant blowing away suspicious looking postal workers, while the decker removes every trace of them from every database, everywhere.

But in all seriousness, the reasons for my reaction lie in a few places.

Subjectively, I'm an Australian, so of course there's no open carry or concealed carry laws. The majority of people just don't have guns. The only time I've ever seen a gun was when I was out on a farm and the owner handed me a .22 bolt action rifle, a clip and a box of rounds and told me to go have fun.

Also, I'm pretty well versed in canon, like most of you, and I understand the inferences from the armor section in CC, although most of that armor I believed to be intended for high-fliers, who were perhaps in marginal risk of extraction or even wetwork. Corp executives, teenagers from corp enclaves heading to Dante's Inferno for the night.

Also, I'm known to gear my characters differently from most dumpshockers, and I don't play in big groups, so most of my characters have exorbitant Stealth and Athletics skills. If I get into a confrontation that I'm not positive I'm likely to survive, you'll see my characters vaulting a table and leaping out the door. Of course, when combat is necessary, I always engineer it into a favourable ambush, where I have ample opportunity of victory, and a decent escape route if the target, say, happens to be a cyberzombie. So obviously, confronted with Food Fight, I would have most likely taken a dive out a window instead of taking on six gangers.

However, the rules seem to contradict this. I've never seen any character, ever use a light pistol, especially not a holdout. The fashion armour lines may protect a punter from a moderate wound from a light pistol, pretty easily. But without a far above average body (5+, i'd say) a heavy pistol will waste you, quick smart.

Because of this (very rational) fear of the ubiquitous heavy pistol, we all pack heavy armour, a heavy pistol of our own and make sure we have a high body, regardless of our characters style or role.

My main issue is that the favoured "casual" or "social" gear is disruptive of role-playing, which is paramount, isn't it?
Fortune
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho)
I'm an Australian, so of course there's no open carry or concealed carry laws. The majority of people just don't have guns. The only time I've ever seen a gun was when I was out on a farm and the owner handed me a .22 bolt action rifle, a clip and a box of rounds and told me to go have fun.

I'm an Australian, and I've seen lots. I'm not talking the legal kind or the cop kind either. It only takes a stroll down the street here to see a fair number of people 'packing', black, white or yellow. Don't kid yourself about the lack of gun culture in Oz (especially in the underworld), even with its restrictive laws on the matter.
Kagetenshi
I just can't seem to keep away for more than a day at a time. So:

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho)
Of course I wasn't talking about runner's laying low from the heat. They of course have every reason to sit on their safehouse rooftop with an Ingram valiant blowing away suspicious looking postal workers, while the decker removes every trace of them from every database, everywhere.

[…]

Also, I'm pretty well versed in canon, like most of you, and I understand the inferences from the armor section in CC, although most of that armor I believed to be intended for high-fliers, who were perhaps in marginal risk of extraction or even wetwork. Corp executives, teenagers from corp enclaves heading to Dante's Inferno for the night.

But Shadowrunners are always laying low, and not just from the heat. The Spikes control I-5 at night. As mentioned earlier, the description for C and D zones involve sufficient risk to armed and armored Lone Star and other security personnel that getting transferred out is usually the first career goal. Hell, look at canon Las Vegas, where walking around with a submachine gun slung over your shoulder is accepted.

I've never seen any character, ever use a light pistol, especially not a holdout. The fashion armour lines may protect a punter from a moderate wound from a light pistol, pretty easily. But without a far above average body (5+, i'd say) a heavy pistol will waste you, quick smart.

Or combat pool. A basic 4L hit (one success) on an unarmored human with Body 3 will get soaked 12.5% of the time. Throw in just two points of Combat Pool, and that's 50%.

Also, Trolls and Orks. For Orks, Body 5 is average—for a Troll, it's downright crippled (and that's not counting their extra die for the dermal armor). Quite simply, most people you can effectively shoot with a Light pistol you probably don't need to worry about to begin with.

~J
Stahlseele

Victory Industrious Winter . . brings a whopping 4/4 Armor for 1000 Nuyen and is more or less an overall worn by curiers throughout the city if i remember correctly *g*
Of course, said Overall is a handy thing to have . . many pockets for all kinds of gear, many places to strap even more gear to . . nothing that can hang down on you like an coat or an open jacket . . get formfitting full body armor below and the coat above and you're pretty much set for everything without looking too much out of place O.o
Sir_Psycho
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I just can't seem to keep away for more than a day at a time. So:

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho)
I've never seen any character, ever use a light pistol, especially not a holdout. The fashion armour lines may protect a punter from a moderate wound from a light pistol, pretty easily. But without a far above average body (5+, i'd say) a heavy pistol will waste you, quick smart.

Or combat pool. A basic 4L hit (one success) on an unarmored human with Body 3 will get soaked 12.5% of the time. Throw in just two points of Combat Pool, and that's 50%.

Also, Trolls and Orks. For Orks, Body 5 is average—for a Troll, it's downright crippled (and that's not counting their extra die for the dermal armor). Quite simply, most people you can effectively shoot with a Light pistol you probably don't need to worry about to begin with.

~J

A Light pistol is 6L, and Shadowrunners are more likely to get more than one success, but I digress, I'm sure we've had conversations about the enormously underpowered holdouts and laughable light pistols in the SR3R threads, which have dissapeared from the forums. Did you scrap them or move them some-where else entirely?

QUOTE (Fortune)
I'm an Australian, and I've seen lots. I'm not talking the legal kind or the cop kind either. It only takes a stroll down the street here to see a fair number of people 'packing', black, white or yellow. Don't kid yourself about the lack of gun culture in Oz (especially in the underworld), even with its restrictive laws on the matter.

Ok, wait. First of all, where do you live? I'm not naieve about guns in Australia, they have been produced back at highschool twice in my time there, but it's by far the exception to the rule. I'm not the one kidding myself if you can even compare legal and illegal gun culture in Oz to the US.

And in all seriousness, where roughly (no pun intended), do you live?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Nov 13 2007, 08:12 PM)
A Light pistol is 6L

I just wanted to note that you're correct, and in my exam-week-induced haze I'd mixed up Light and Hold-Out pistols. More on Thursday.

Edit: SR3R's still going on at the SR3R site, though I've been neglecting it due to schoolwork (bad Jon).

~J
Fortune
At present I am living in Sydney (and I see guns in all types of suburbs, especially King's Cross, Surry Hills, Redfern, Cabramatta, Penrith, Blacktown, Woolloomooloo, and the like), but I have also had those types of experiences with guns in places such as Darwin & Alice Springs (again pretty much anywhere), Brisbane (in the Valley and the West End, as well as in the outlying suburbs and some of the inner ones given over almost exclusively to public housing and halfway houses), Adelaide & Port Adelaide (especially near the docks), Perth (again, pretty much all over), and Melbourne (which is the most open of all). Those are just the cities ... the outback is even more unrestricted. The place I have seen the least guns is Canberra, but they were still present.

Maybe you just hang out with a nicer crowd. wink.gif
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
QUOTE (Simon May @ Nov 13 2007, 02:49 PM)

My advice? Don't.

Don't wear a piece unless you are clear with yourself that you intend to use deadly force in the protection of yourself and/or others.

And carrying openly? That's like walking into a dojo, ripping your T-shirt off, and screaming "I know Ju-Jitsu, who wants a piece of this?!"

So carrying openly, without training, as a self-avowed gun-hater who has said they will keep it unloaded, would be like me, a 500-lb tub of lard who know how to throw maybe one kick, and has had all of a half-hour's actual instruction in actual grappling, doing the above.

too right and well said. an unconcealed gun is a hcallenge. you'll scare people, put shop owners or alert and the real streat meat will want to test you, and if it comes to it, they won't know if it's unloaded and legally it won't matter either.

As for game play. yeah, a hold out, heck a light pistol won't get through most armor. BUT for role play it works just fine, if the GM is on his game. shove a barrel into the back of a corpers neck, even a go ganger and thery arne't gonna see if it's a hold out or a hand cannon, and at that ranch it would matter. The same for a piece leveled at their face at a range or inches or gouged into a cheek, and someone will get real co-operative.

If nothing else, say in a mall or you're local Applebees the sound of return fire could or should make the other person duck too.
Serial_Peacemaker
Honestly I've never seen a runner group that hasn't placed themselves in the nastiest part of the Barrens as their HQ. I mean really where the ghouls, and the mutants play. So armor is more a normal survival instinct than anything. Since it will end up being needed at some point, and its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Snow_Fox
The trouble with basing in the barrens is when you want to come up for air in the more refined areas, like B security zones, you are gonig to have trouble. We usually have gear for going into the barrens but it's not where we live, at least not my characters.
ShadowDragon8685
The barrens are where my characters go to evade heat.

As for living there? I thought the point of Shadowrunning was so you could live a better life than the barrens would afford you. I mean, I dunno about you, but even if the inside of your Fuhrerbunker... Err, Riggerbunker, is palatalial, you're still essentially living in a fortress in the middle of Hell, under a state of constant siege warfare.
Critias
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Nov 13 2007, 05:02 PM)
QUOTE (Simon May @ Nov 13 2007, 02:49 PM)

My advice? Don't.

too right and well said. an unconcealed gun is a hcallenge. you'll scare people, put shop owners or alert and the real streat meat will want to test you, and if it comes to it, they won't know if it's unloaded and legally it won't matter either.

Which, of course, isn't to mention the cops themselves. Unless they were categorized under "street meat" that's out to test you. wink.gif

I've got several buddies who've had their pleasant day of shopping and strolling around downtown interrupted by being held at gunpoint, disarmed, and detained, for exercising their right to carry openly in states where it's on the books that it's legal to do so (right here in KY being one of them). "For officer safety" trumps "for citizen's rights" pretty often.

For some examples of this sort of behavior -- albeit examples from someone who's taking it to the point where I personally believe he's exercising poor judgement in order to go looking for examples of this sort of officer abuse of power -- anyone who is interested can check out Black Man With a Gun.

So, yeah. Carrying openly -- IRL -- is often a pretty bad idea. In very rural areas, it isn't likely to be a big deal (I've got plenty of friends that have OCed without incident). The more urban you get, the more soccer moms looking for something to panic over, and suburban (or urban) cops you get who are used to thinking "gun = criminal," though. The more stupid the idea becomes...especially if you're a self-avowed gun hater who doesn't know what to do with it, or even keeping it loaded.

I keep mine concealed, and I don't dress up like a bold urban commando, or anything, and it's still a big responsibility and something to be taken very, very, seriously.
Sir_Psycho
Or perhaps, black man with a snickers? Black man reaching for his keys? Or perhaps his wallet?
Simon May
Oh, I wouldn't actually do it except as a sociological experiment. And even then, I first need to get in a PHD program and clear the trials with the board.

I'd like to note that while I hate guns, I do know how to use one thanks to my right wing grandfather.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho)
Or perhaps, black man with a snickers? Black man reaching for his keys? Or perhaps his wallet?
Riley37
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

I second (by now, N) that. The only weapon that I've carried routinely was a can of CS, and even with that, I was less-than-optimally ready to draw and use it in a crisis. (yeah, range is minimal and stopping power is unreliable, but it's a weapon that I could use in unclear situations without fear of committing manslaughter, and thus my choice at the time.)

Oddly enough, I was just yesterday skimming for info on off-duty law enforcers CCW, because a scruffy visitor to my church flipped out and got belligerent, and while (nonviolently) escorting him out I was worried that he might throw his cup of hot coffee at me; another regular church attender who's a DEA officer was watching the incident, and in the theoretical event that the scruffy guy drew a gun, I would take an interest in whether armed backup was available. What I found in a law enforcement discussion forum, was a debate about CCW while going to a bar or drinking at a restaurant. I avoid driving while drunk; I dunno how much I would drink if I was carrying a firearm.
Kagetenshi
I should add that while I don't consider it necessary as such, I do wander around in real life on a daily basis with fairly sizable folding knife and cut-resistant sleeves, and I don't even engage in regular illegal activity (well, ok, speeding and jaywalking) or go to "rough neighborhoods". You can bet that if a major highway around me was considered central gang turf I'd at the least be packing heavier armor, if not heavier weaponry.

In case anyone's wondering why on earth I do that when I don't have a day-to-day need for it, it's the old saw about how if I'm not used to being properly equipped on a daily basis, I'm probably not going to be if I ever have cause to actually use it.

~J
Stahlseele
In case anyone's wondering why on earth I do that when I don't have a day-to-day need for it, it's the old saw about how if I'm not used to being properly equipped on a daily basis, I'm probably not going to be if I ever have cause to actually use it.

long story short:practice makes perfect *g*

mostly the reason for me going around in the described fashion too . .
Critias
QUOTE (Riley37)
What I found in a law enforcement discussion forum, was a debate about CCW while going to a bar or drinking at a restaurant. I avoid driving while drunk; I dunno how much I would drink if I was carrying a firearm.

In many states (even the most gun friendly of them, like my own), that's a discussion that's a moot point for civilian CCW holders. LEO's can carry a few places we can't (like gov't buildings and schools), and establishments that serve alcohol are one of those places, too. It's a weird law, too, based at least in part on what percentage of a business's income is alcohol based, whether it's a "bar and grill" or a "neighborhood restaurant" in the title, etc, etc. Silliness.

Even if it weren't illegal for me to do so, though, I wouldn't mix alcohol and firearms. Most of a CCW holder's job is to stay level headed and avoid trouble, and the weight on your hip just reminds you of the consequences if you screw that up (and getting buzzed isn't the best way to stay serious about that responsibility).

Whether or not the weapon is called for, the last thing you want to do is get in a fistfight or something while carrying. Who wants to get beat down and have someone -- drunk, pissed off, with knuckles scuffed up from your face -- looking down on you to see you've got a gun? Who wants to count on that person to not take that weapon from you, for one of a dozen reasons? I'm not going to walk around assuming I'll win any fight I get into, and my gun being on the streets in someone else's hands is nothing short of a nightmare scenario.

I wouldn't go bar hopping or impair my judgement while carrying even if it weren't against the law.

But, hey. I'm not a Shadowrunner.
Snow_Fox
About a year ago I was in an artsy little town on the Delaware. (New Hope if you knoew the area) I was wearing my legal gun under a light jacket. One sweet little old lady saw me and said 'oh take that jacket off honey, you're making me feel warm."
I could only think "and if I take it off I'm sure you'll feel worse."

I was in one store looking at some paintings and thing as I gestured up and think the owner caught sight of the gun on my hip. Like he couldn't be sure but he seemed suddenly less warm. I'm usually pretty good about keeping my left arm down, to avoid that. Certainly no police arrived but it made me think. Walk around with a non-concealed wepaon and I'm sure it owuld get worse. Legal or not, I see someone wearing a gun openly and I'll be making sure my hand is kept unencumbered.
hyzmarca
I'm surprised that Australia doesn't have open carry laws. Between venomous platypuses, rabid wallabies, horny emus, man-eating koalas, and tornadic Tasmanian devils (not to mention snakes, spiders, crocodiles, and kangaroos), I'd think that carrying would be a daily necessity.

The basic rule of carrying a weapon is simple: it is better to be safe than it is to be sorry, or: always be prepared. Yeah, you probably won't need it. But, if you do you'll be glad that you brought it.
Fresno Bob
QUOTE (Stahlseele)

That, and I'm sure you're just itching to prove your sweet bo staff skills.
Critias
QUOTE (Voorhees)
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Nov 14 2007, 02:35 PM)

That, and I'm sure you're just itching to prove your sweet bo staff skills.

Ninja-to skills, pay attention!
Stahlseele
ironically, it's somehow easier to get a sharp ninjato than it is to get one of those nifty telescoping stick thingies around here . . i'd take one of those instead of the sword any time, . . just they are freaking expansive and i have looked all over town and only found one shop who has them so far . . and no, i don't like to show off . . i'm kinda shy <.< . . i am not nearly confident enough for such stuff x.x . .
Fuchs
In our current campaign, set in Miami, most of the runners rarely wear armor outside runs - it's not suitable for the beach, and not too chic in the current clubs either.
Stahlseele
that's why, if you can't WEAR armor . . you ARE armor . . Dermal-Tech or Ortho-Tech and maybe some Bone-Works . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012