Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wal-Mart
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
shadowfire
I'm going for Seader-krupp myself... No reason other than i like the name.
Zolhex
posting on the fly here but i choose Mitsuhama as if I remember they are the orginal American company.

Seems taking over wal-mart would get you major level size.
Fortune
I'm going with Aztechnology, the out-and-out king of consumer goods.
Sir_Psycho
Seconded on the Azzies, given Walmart is similar to an enormous Stuffer Shack.
Kagetenshi
No one as such. It went bankrupt when China broke up and got parted out for micronuyen on the dollar, then the pieces mostly got eaten by the Azzies.

~J
Sir_Psycho
It's a good point. A huge company so heavily based in logistics and imports would scarcely survive the crash.
Platinum
Whoever buy's Daewoo will own walmart next. Daewoo produce everything, walmart sells everything.
Fortune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
It went bankrupt when China broke up and got parted out for micronuyen on the dollar, then the pieces mostly got eaten by the Azzies.

So, still technically Aztechnology. wink.gif biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
Actually, it's only technically not Aztechnology, 'cause by the time the Azzies ate the pieces they weren't Wal*Mart anymore grinbig.gif

(I need an admin-buddy who can revoke my sudo privileges for exam week or something)

~J
Simon May
Horizon would've bought them. They're essentially another Best Buy outlet for all intensive purposes.
Kagetenshi
Horizon, the corporation that doesn't exist until the mid-2060s? Somehow I doubt it.

~J
Fortune
QUOTE (Simon May)
Horizon would've bought them.

Horizon is a relatively new Megacorp.
ShadowDragon8685
I don't know exactly where, but I thought I rembered reading somewhere that Wal*Mart was alive and kicking in 2060?
Starmage21
I believe Ares owns Wal-Mart biggrin.gif

There is an AR image in the main book depicting "Ares Wal-Mart"
Blade
Are you sure it's not War Malt, Ares' beer brand? biggrin.gif
Starmage21
QUOTE (Blade)
Are you sure it's not War Malt, Ares' beer brand? biggrin.gif

iono, im working from memory
Zhan Shi
He's correct. I could'nt name the sourcebook to save my life, but I remember references to a chain of stores called Kong-Mart, or Kong Wal-Mart, or something like that. Can't remember the parent corporation.
Daddy's Little Ninja
Lots of consumer goods? Bad treatment of employees? Squashing industry around them? Sounds liek the Aztecs to me.
Kyoto Kid
...first it was Beatrice, then Beatrice was bought by S-K. grinbig.gif
Daegann
QUOTE (Platinum @ Nov 14 2007, 05:59 AM)
Whoever buy's Daewoo will own walmart next.  Daewoo produce everything, walmart sells everything.

Well, in fact Daewoo has splitted during the asian crisis 10 years ago. One of the major part Daewoo Motor was buyed by General Motors in 2003 or 2004 (don't remember very well) while Daewoo shipbuilding still in the top 3 shipbuilder with Samsung and Hyundai. And other entities keep the name of Daewoo but they are not controlled by the same group anymore... Hyundai is in this case too. In shadowrun, Daewoo was absorbed by Eastern Tiger.

No, if you want a company who produce anything (and to remain in Korea) then we can talk about Samsung or LG which are really diversified... But in fact there is many corp around the orld who produce a wide variety of product. (but most of them tend to not use the name of the group as a brand name for all there product, only for a part)

- Daegann -
martindv
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Nov 13 2007, 10:54 PM)
No one as such. It went bankrupt when China broke up and got parted out for micronuyen on the dollar, then the pieces mostly got eaten by the Azzies.

~J

So how do you explain the Kong Wal-Mart sign in SR4 (AR overlay image)?

Besides, Aztechnology doesn't need Wal-Mart. It owns Stuffer Shack, which is ubiquitous enough to make Wal-Mart in SR effectively niche.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (martindv)

The same way I explain everything SR4 does—ignoring it.

~J
Snow_Fox
the azzies would be logical but i think their owning of stuffer shack fills the same niche, so they did that to offset that they don't have Walmart. I'm guessing it was bought by Fuchi and then when that broke up...so I'd put it with novatech under Villiers' banner
Telion
I have to say azzies just because I visualize blood spirits behind the registers.
eidolon
Which book was it that referenced "Kong-Wal-Mart"?
martindv
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (martindv @ Nov 15 2007, 06:08 PM)

The same way I explain everything SR4 does—ignoring it.

~J

That works too.
shadowfire
ya i pretty much pretend that SR4 never was made..
Snow_Fox
SR4? never heard of it
imperialus
In all honesty, when I picture 2070, I still picture Walmart as being around. It's too big, not to exist. Fanpro just can't actually name them in one of their products. I expect that 60 years from now people will still be filing into the big blue box to buy a dozen tube socks for a nuyen.gif.
Snow_Fox
I don't agree. They are family owned and tightly controlled. Once the family goes,the board is too loose and too vulnerable to predatory AAA corps. Beyond runs against them you have goblinization, VITAS etc.

Also a lot of their stores are in more rural area. They lose everything in the west except CFS and what about conflict, social if not armed, between CSA and UCAS?

Their attempts to expand in Korea and Japan have been a disaster so they are pretty well limited to North America and an undeversified company is seriously weakened in the turmoil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012