Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A godo vintage
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Snow_Fox
there is a custom with wine that good vintages happen in good years and bad vintages in bad years , Like 1914 and 1939, years in which the world wars started were particulalry bad vintages for french wine, even though both had good summers. 1918, 1919 and 1946 were good years. the Dom Perignon '46 was one of the best years ever.

SO any suggestions for what years would be good or bad years and why.
Fortune
frown.gif

I thought this was going to be a thread about Beckett.

On topic, 2040 would be pretty good, what with all those metahuman migrant workers properly motivated after the Night of Rage the year before.
tisoz
After years of reading your mangled posts, I must ask - is the origin of a medical nature or simply not caring about those that try to read your contribution and how it reflects upon yourself?
Fresno Bob
I bet 2011 vintages are pretty good.
FrankTrollman
I don't think anyone wants to drink wine from after 2064 just yet, and people probably don't want to drink wine from before 2045 very much. Wine has a shelf life, even in the future. Win needs to mature, but eventually it just gets old and tastes of acetate. The following are for wines from California. After the radioactive accidents that France had I doubt anyone really wants to drink French Wine. And I don't really have enough information to figure what is going on with other high-quality imprints like Chile, Australia, and Azania.

2045 - Bad Year
2046 - Good year, but massive amounts of stock mysteriously vanished. Bottles are rare and highly sought after.
2049 - Bad Year
2051 - Good Year
2053 - Terrible Year
2054 - Bad Year
2057 - Great Year
2058 - Good Year
2060 - Good Year
2061 - Extremely Bad. Little production, and much of it is overly sulphurous.
2062 - Bad Year
2063 - Bad Year
2064 - Bad Year
Snow_Fox
double post
Snow_Fox
That is more of what I wanted, but could you say WHY they were good or bad years.
QUOTE (Fortune @ Nov 17 2007, 09:21 AM)
frown.gif

I thought this was going to be a thread about Beckett.

On topic, 2040 would be pretty good, what with all those metahuman migrant workers properly motivated after the Night of Rage the year before.
It's not a question of motivation. In 1939 french troops were released from combat units to help with the harvests. It's just a really odd thing noted in french wines. If anything what I'm looking for is that the 2039 would be a lousy year because of the night of rage.

Thanks for the help guys. For others less polite, I'm holding up 3 fingers. Read between the lines, you mutha' (and that IS spelled the right way for you.)
FrankTrollman
Basically I looked at California's confused timeline and made some guesses. The Second Tir War would of course pretty severely impact production. The events of YotC were catastrophic and production may never recover.

The CFS book was set in 2057 and the situation described seems like a great one for wineries. The day in 2046 when hackers took over the country and started a civil war seems a perfect time for whole cellars worth of wine to vanish mysteriously.

-Frank
Kyoto Kid
..ahh, my favourite topic.

Now there is some detail on Australia in Target Awakened Lands. I'll have to re-read through the section. From what I see of imports to the U.S in RL most wine production is in N.S.W. (any posters from Australia, additional information would be most welcome).

Of course TT wines were said to be of very high quality and commanded high prices as an import to other countries. With the collapse of the Council and shift in direction the nation has taken (from what I gleaned from the sparse post crash info available) it's hard to say if the "exclusive" market for Tir wines is still there. This is not to say that quality wines are still not produced in the region. In RL Oregon is often compared to some of the great regions in France and the Pinot Noirs have become the state's signature and most highly sought after variety.

Unfortunately without SoLA as Frank mentioned there is little information on what has become a major exporter of fine quality wines in RL.

Europe, I agree with Frank, too much damage from ecological disasters and war. It is possible that Italy Spain, and Portugal may still have viable growing regions (what would the Brits do without their Ports & Sherries or the thought of a pasta dish without a fine Chianti or Montepulciano?). As for France and Germany, I'm not sure I'd like a vintage that glows.
Cthulhudreams
South Australia produces about 700,000,000 litres a year while New South Wales produces about 500 000 000 with Victoria a distant third and the rest irrelevant.

Shiraz Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon are the most popular varities by production volume.

Not a damn clue what would have happened in 2070 though wink.gif
Kyoto Kid
...I'll have to check these regions against Target Awakened Lands as that is the last published reference to Australia.
tisoz
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
Thanks for the help guys. For others less polite, I'm holding up 3 fingers. Read between the lines, you mutha' (and that IS spelled the right way for you.)

Given your history for getting things in the wrong order, I am guessing you are denoting your ring finger, perhaps implying that your gun-toting hubby is gonna get me sucka! smile.gif

Honestly, I wondered if you were dyslexic or physically handicapped someway, or as seems to be the case, you just lack respect for yourself or those that try reading your scrawls. It did manage to get you to correct the editable part of your initial post, but lasted about that long.

It's not a question of motovation. In 1939 french troops were released from combat units to help with the harvets. It's just areally odd thing noted in french wines. If anything what I'm looknig for is that the 2039 would be a lousy year because of the night of rage.
Daddy's Little Ninja
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams)
South Australia produces about 700,000,000 litres a year while New South Wales produces about 500 000 000 with Victoria a distant third and the rest irrelevant.

Shiraz Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon are the most popular varities by production volume.

Not a damn clue what would have happened in 2070 though wink.gif

Wouldn't a lot of Australia's crops be lost in the storms? I thought the continent was covered in mana storms.

SF is very franco-centered but does anyone know if other countries have similar trends or myths? I mean would 1939 have been a very good year for the Germans? That could add a whole new element to it. Maybe the Texas wines were very good the year the CAS split off from the UCAS. In a world with magic it might be a real issue.
Kyoto Kid
...Texas? Wine?

Somehow I sense a contradiction there. grinbig.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012