Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment: EVO Company TransHuMan
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
DireRadiant
In EVO, you aren't a Company Man anymore. The terminology is updated to reflect the new world, the Sixth World(s), the Awakened World(s), so says Buttercup.

You are an Executive in the Counter Terrorism Bureau. Executives come from all walks of life and are responsible for an incredibly wide range of tasks guarding EVO's interests on, and off, the planet. Executives are highly skilled, well trained, capable, responsible individuals with excellent compensation and benefits packages and corporate support. Travel required. EVO values diversity.

Assignments will be Missions tailored to active players. You may or may not be interacting or working with other CTB Executives. CTB Executives are expected to file reports once a week. CTB Executive vacation and sick leave requires notification to the CTB Executive manager in order for personal time to be compensated. Inactive CTB Executives will be "Reassigned" to the Red Planet Division.

- SR4
- Setting, wherever EVO sends you
- Standard 400 BP
- Standard Availability Rules
- Street Magic allowed
- Augmentation allowed
- No breaking skill groups in chargen
- No cracking or pirating software in chargen
- Electronics upgrades bought at full price
- No free contacts in chargen
- 9 to 12 dice pools are considered good or excellent for core skills. e.g. Anything you have at this you would be considered "expert" at and known for. You can certainly have a larger pool, this is not a restriction on the pool size.
- CS preferred in Text format
- BG preferred in Text format

- van_nick at hotmail.com OR PM

BG tips
- At least a couple paragraphs
- Use the Twenty Questions for inspiration
- Generally match details in your CS and BG, your GM appreciates it

Recruitment is always open
Game starts as soon as I have one approved player

Post Format
Character Location and Timestamp Header
"Speech"
[i]thoughts[/]i
Matrix
Abbandon
Oh hi Dire! I didnt even see you were the one running this till after I read the intro hehe.

Individual play sounds so awesome. Couple of questions:

#1. Are CTB Exec's recruited from in corporation or just from wherever.

#2. Who are some people at EVO who would make good contacts? I mean like who is the head of recruiting for the CBT. Who is the head of EVO's like non CBT security??
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Abbandon)
Oh hi Dire! I didnt even see you were the one running this till after I read the intro hehe.

Individual play sounds so awesome. Couple of questions:

#1. Are CTB Exec's recruited from in corporation or just from wherever.

#2. Who are some people at EVO who would make good contacts? I mean like who is the head of recruiting for the CBT. Who is the head of EVO's like non CBT security??

#1 Yes.

#2 Come up with what you want. Creative Freedom and License is encouraged. If you pay BP for contacts, you get value for that regardless of what they actually do.
BlackHat
This is gonna be a busy weekend, but I'll probably be tossing some ideas around and hopefully get something to you soon.

I'm a sucker for playing non-Shadowrunners in Shadowrun. biggrin.gif

I have to admit I am still a little confused as to what to expect from this game, or what you're expecting from us. Like what the day-to-day for a CTB Exec entails. Hopefully whatever I put together is close enough to what you were expecting.

Cthulhudreams
What does 'electronics upgrades brought at full price' mean, and are you using 'skill + program' or 'attribute + skill limited by program' (pllleeeaasseee do the second nyahnyah.gif)
WearzManySkins
@Cthulhudreams
I believe he means that if you buy level 5 response you can not sell the previous response back at 30% and maybe no building things at half costs if you have the shop.

Yes good question standard matrix rules or a house rule?

WMS
Konsaki
I'm interested in this. Got to think about my character...
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams)
What does 'electronics upgrades brought at full price' mean, and are you using 'skill + program' or 'attribute + skill limited by program' (pllleeeaasseee do the second nyahnyah.gif)

If you buy Response 5 you pay the full price, not the difference between Response 3 and Response 5.

Generally I will have very few house rules so it is Skill + Program.
JDragon
Yeah this sounds interesting. Just not sure what I want to do yet.

Maybe stretch myself and do something other than a combat machine. nyahnyah.gif

Or I could doom the game to fail and try to play my street sam Satchel again. (had 4 or 5 pbp games I've tried to play him in that have died) But I don't want to do that to DR.

Try to get some ideas up in the next few days.

JD
Cthulhudreams
A few more questions: How do you address 'shape metal' in your game. SR mentions plasisteel and ferrocrete and stuff - I can use shape metal on that stuff, right? And it's reasonably common?
WearzManySkins
Are Smartgun camera upgrades subject to the vision enhancement upgrades availability increases?

Is the a limit to the number of vision enhancements allowed in contact lenses, glasses, and goggles besides the availability limit total of 12.

WMS
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams)
A few more questions: How do you address 'shape metal' in your game. SR mentions plasisteel and ferrocrete and stuff - I can use shape metal on that stuff, right? And it's reasonably common?

Shape (Material) affects the chosen material only. Attempting to affect something that is partly of that material affects that material partly depending on the similarity and type of content. I would also ask that the definition of the element be more defined. "Metal" can be rather broad if you know your table of elements.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
Are Smartgun camera upgrades subject to the vision enhancement upgrades availability increases?

Yes.

QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
Is the a limit to the number of vision enhancements allowed in contact lenses, glasses, and goggles besides the availability limit total of 12.

WMS

Not that I know of, but I'm not sure what you are thinking of in asking this.
WearzManySkins
Some have house rules that put hard limits on the number of vision enhancements that are allowed in such devices.

Ie contacts can only have a total of 3 enhancements.

Thanks

WMS
Cthulhudreams
I've come up with a concept and a first draft, but I neglected to decide on a tradition until after I've created a character concept, and now I'm going to have have to shake some trees until I find one that fits the concept.

I also need to do some more reading with my books and come back with more questions about 'shape' spells. If it becomes a point of contention I'll just drop the spell.

Looking at something like this

[ Spoiler ]
Critias
I've got a few ideas I'm always kicking around, and a non-Shadowrunner character is always a fun change of pace to me (in truth, there are times I feel like I'm stretching to always come up with a character who's got a background that would thrust them into the shadows).

I should have time to settle down over the weekend and throw something together, background and all. I've been playing an odd mixture of 360 games lately, and watching a bunch of movies, so there's just no telling what hellish mixture of sub-genres I'll come up with.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams)
I've come up with a concept and a first draft, but I neglected to decide on a tradition until after I've created a character concept, and now I'm going to have have to shake some trees until I find one that fits the concept.

I also need to do some more reading with my books and come back with more questions about 'shape' spells. If it becomes a point of contention I'll just drop the spell.

Looking at something like this

For all those "tricky" general utility spells, such as Shape, Control whatever, Trid Phantasm, Turn to Goo and sundry others it generally works as follows; The closer the actual use of the spell is to the intended spirit of the spell description and intended use the less problems there are. When you try to tack on freebie effects, such as cyberware farming with Turn to Goo, Shape everything that has minutes traces of X in Shape X, Illusion of nothing there Trid Phantasms, etc the more likely the GM will apply some additional threshold modifiers or ask for a related skill check.

Otherwise the character concept is fine. For a Mentor you can always build one that is equivalent, it strikes me you'd almost want Cuckoo. smile.gif
BlackHat
Nearing completion over here too. I did have a couple of questions.

Did you intend for us to have SINs (or is the CTB more black-ops and might have removed all records, etc). And, if so, would we get the points for the SINner disadvantage? It seems like in a setting where we are working FOR a Corp, and are normal people, it would be more of an advantage to exist on paper, and probably not a disadvantage since we have less to worry about (as in, we're not necessarily professional criminals who worry about stuff being traced back to them).

Also, you had said resources as normal, which is cool, but should we make sure we pick up everything we think we would need to do our job at EVO, or would the company supply gear necessary for day-to-day job stuff. IOW, is there a distinction between what the character owns personally, and what EVO provides, or should we make sure we pay nuyen at char-gen for anything we'd like to have access to?
Fortune
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
... Illusion of nothing there Trid Phantasms ...

Just curious, but this seems like a perfectly valid use of the spell. Why do you consider this abusive, and put it in the same category as the other examples you listed?
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Nov 24 2007, 05:44 AM)
... Illusion of nothing there Trid Phantasms ...

Just curious, but this seems like a perfectly valid use of the spell. Why do you consider this abusive, and put it in the same category as the other examples you listed?

Primarily depends on the scale. I for one don't find it too far out of bounds to be creating a scene of an empty room while someone is actually moving around in it. After all you could do it easier with an Improved Invisibility spell for less drain. However, since the spell is intended to "create convincing illusions of any object, creature, or scene the caster desires. They can create an illusion of anything the caster has seen before, from a fl ower or a credstick to a dragon breathing fi re, as long as the illusion is no larger than the spell’s area." rather then obscuring the presence of something that is actually there it might prove to be more challenging to use a spell in the way described.

e.g. for a static or simple dynamic scene, empty elevator for example, I wouldn't impose any penalties at all, concealing a vehicle racing through traffic on the highway might merit a slight modifier.
Toras
I would certainly be interested. I have a few ideas for a Hostage Negotiator. Right now I'm thinking a particularly smooth talking elven adept. It would certainly match with the needs of an active counter-terrorism team.
Aku
ok, i will admit to being slightly confused, yet interested. Is this a situation where we're more "investigators of counter terrorism" than acting againist it? are we investigating it individually and then acting againist threats as EVO see's fit?

i'm right now thinking of some form of hacker, but i donno, we'll see...
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Aku)
ok, i will admit to being slightly confused, yet interested. Is this a situation where we're more "investigators of counter terrorism" than acting againist it? are we investigating it individually and then acting againist threats as EVO see's fit?

i'm right now thinking of some form of hacker, but i donno, we'll see...

Generally the PC tasks will be tailored to the PC skills, experience and desires.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (BlackHat)
Nearing completion over here too. I did have a couple of questions.

Did you intend for us to have SINs (or is the CTB more black-ops and might have removed all records, etc). And, if so, would we get the points for the SINner disadvantage? It seems like in a setting where we are working FOR a Corp, and are normal people, it would be more of an advantage to exist on paper, and probably not a disadvantage since we have less to worry about (as in, we're not necessarily professional criminals who worry about stuff being traced back to them).

Also, you had said resources as normal, which is cool, but should we make sure we pick up everything we think we would need to do our job at EVO, or would the company supply gear necessary for day-to-day job stuff. IOW, is there a distinction between what the character owns personally, and what EVO provides, or should we make sure we pay nuyen at char-gen for anything we'd like to have access to?

Build a character normally, that is presuming you aren't working for a corp who can potentially provide you with all the gear you could possibly dream of. Any gear you buy as a character is personal gear. It's not unreasonable to think that a PC would have personal gear for their own particular skills or job even if they might get equipment from the corp.

It might be in the corp interest to have it where you don't have a SIN.
BlackHat
Wasn't sure if you wanted character submissions in email or on here, but since you put your email addy - that's where my first-draft went. biggrin.gif
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (DireRadiant)

For all those "tricky" general utility spells, such as Shape, Control whatever, Trid Phantasm, Turn to Goo and sundry others it generally works as follows; The closer the actual use of the spell is to the intended spirit of the spell description and intended use the less problems there are. When you try to tack on freebie effects, such as cyberware farming with Turn to Goo, Shape everything that has minutes traces of X in Shape X, Illusion of nothing there Trid Phantasms, etc the more likely the GM will apply some additional threshold modifiers or ask for a related skill check.

I might just swap out shape metal for the detect life spell, or even powerball or something. Currently my only 'attack' spell is using physical mask to look like I don't have an assault rifle under my jacket, and I'm not a particularly good shot.

It honestly never occured to me to use trid-d phatasm to make something invisible, I would plan on using it to hide things with other things though.

Turn to goo cyberware farming strikes me as retarded. I just assumed that EVO are going to be picking up the tab so I wasn;t even planning on corpse looting or whatever.

However, I *would* plan on using it as a transportation spell, so you can carry people through checkpoints or whatever.
Critias
I'm still agonizing (like I almost always do) over human/elf and augmentation/adept. My basic plan is to make a corporate hitman type of guy (the fella in the shades and the snazzy suit that the high-management types snap their fingers at when they want someone dead).
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Critias)
I'm still agonizing (like I almost always do) over human/elf and augmentation/adept. My basic plan is to make a corporate hitman type of guy (the fella in the shades and the snazzy suit that the high-management types snap their fingers at when they want someone dead).

Choose what you want, management finger snappers can be provided.
Critias
Yeah. My problem is that "what I want" varies from minute to minute. Adepts have a few tricks that I really love, but cyber/bio feels cooler sometimes, and I feel like I should be tired of playing Elves (but I never am), and...and...

Regardless of what I use to get there (be it technology or magic), the basic skill set will stay pretty consistent. He's the go-to guy. Shamelessly inspired by the Rainbow Six series of games, the Hitman games, Jack Higgins novels, the Bourne movies (and other Ludlum books), yadda yadda yadda. That sort of thing.
Cthulhudreams
Hehe. One question - Do we have an EVO expense account and procurement team behind us?
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams)
Hehe. One question - Do we have an EVO expense account and procurement team behind us?

Depends on your character.
Cthulhudreams
Right. So given the sort of character I'm proposing? smile.gif

I'm shaking out a tradition now, the various oriential ones are a strong possibility.

I'd like to ask if I can use the shinto tradition as outlined by Frank trollman here

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...ition+tradition

Resists Drain with Intuition + Willpower

It's probably the closest fit personality wise, while fitting the stastics at hand.

A common (but by no means universal) spirit assignment for Shinto is:

Combat Spells - Air Spirits
Detection Spells - Fire Spirits
Health Spells - Ancestor Spirits (My note: Guidance Spirits are described as ancestor spirits)
Illusion Spells - Water Spirits
Manipulation Spells - Plant Spirits

The default assumption is fine, with the replacement of Ancestor spirits with Guidance Spirits.
Critias
What's some good reading material to study up on EVO a little bit? I haven't seen it used much in the games I've played in (or used it much in the games I've run) -- any idea what books or sections of books would be good for reading up on it some? All I really remember about them is they used to be Yamatetsu, right?
BlackHat
Besides the blurb in BBB, there are a few good blurbs in Augmentation as well about Evo or its subsidiaries. Other than that, I'm in the dark like you. In a game I ran, once, I specifically used them because (other than their history as Yamatetsu) there wasn't much baggage with using them as whatever I wanted.
Fortune
I wanna play!

But ...

I don't know what I wanna play! frown.gif
Cthulhudreams
Isn't that the trademark of Fortune? Extreme Indecision!
Abbandon
Well from the BBB Evo is dedicated to providing things to metahumanity, sounds like they are also doing some "dark" experimenting with life extending techniques which probably requires lots of magical research of all variety. Sounds like everybody and their uncle will be attempting to breach Evo properties and make off with goodies lol.
JDragon
QUOTE (Fortune)
I wanna play!

But ...

I don't know what I wanna play! :(

QFT!

If it makes you feel any better I'm in the same boat.

JD
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Critias @ Nov 24 2007, 03:03 AM)
What's some good reading material to study up on EVO a little bit?  I haven't seen it used much in the games I've played in (or used it much in the games I've run) -- any idea what books or sections of books would be good for reading up on it some?  All I really remember about them is they used to be Yamatetsu, right?

Sorry I can't give you the explicit references, don't remember the exact adventures and books, but the big thing is they used to be Yamatetsu, and then there was a big board room shuffle and fallout when the major stock holder turned out to be a Free spirit named Buttercup. They went through a period of internal conflict as Buttercup took control of operations, and shifted the HQ from Japan to Vladivostok, along with changing the name. Buttercup had major issues with how metahumans are treated in Japan, and the move was one way to deal with it.

Also remember that EVO is a AAA corp. That means they make some of everything.
Feshy
YGM.

Miss me? biggrin.gif
WearzManySkins
Evo references

SR 4th Ed pages 4, 31, 42, 196, 300

Contacts and Adventures pages 17, 18

Street Magic pages 5

Runner Havens pages 9, 11, 15, 21, 25, 26, 30, 32, 33, 37, 38, 39, 40, 42, 48, 51, 53, 68, 70, 74-76, 79, 80, 98, 123, 130, 133, 136, 138, 139, 140

*Grins*

Oops found it, under Buttercup Shadows of Asia
THE WRAITH
Emperor Yasuhito’s last advisor may not exist at all. According to rumor, this entity appears only at night and generally in the privacy of the Emperor’s quarters. Dubbed “the Wraith� by household staff, no one has ever met this entity and precious few can claim to have glimpsed it. Some believe that Sessho Yonekura introduced the Emperor to our mystery ghost soon after he took the throne. Since that time, palace servants have whispered about the Emperor talking to shadows in the hallways and speaking aloud to himself in his quarters. On three separate occasions, he has been seen speaking with a raven-haired young woman who always manages to obscure her face. When servants approach, the visitor mysteriously disappears. Perhaps coincidentally, each of these visits has corresponded with policy shifts in the administration.
> A ghost, or an astrally projecting visitor? Perhaps Yasuhito is visited by the spirit of his lost mother, who died in the Unzen eruption. Or perhaps he has a secret backer who prefers to keep a distance.
> Magister
> I suspect this so-called Wraith is actually Buttercup. Consider the modus operandi: she has the ability to sleaze past the Emperor’s magical defenses to gain a private audience with him. She advises him to make moves that strengthen the position of her company within the nation. Worst of all, she makes a point to hide herself whenever anyone else is around. It has to be Buttercup! Who else would have that much to hide?
> Conspir-I-See
> I regret saying this already, but you may be on to something, Conspir-I-See. There’ve been rumors floating around for years that the Emperor is in Yamatetsu’s back pocket. When Buttercup gave Yasuhito a priceless pre-Awakening sculpture of an ork as a wedding gift, the Japanacorps muttered a collective “I told you so.� All the corps gave the Emperor lavish gifts, but Buttercup’s suggested an intimacy
that the others lacked.
> Corp Watcher
> Then again, it could have been Yamatetsu’s way of showing support for the Yasuhito Ideal. After all, what other Japanacorp has an ork as its CEO?
> Tenchi

System Failure page 104

Smilin_Jack
QUOTE (Fortune)
I wanna play!

But ...

I don't know what I wanna play! frown.gif

Hah -

Dunno about you but this just screams "Evo Security - Section 9" to me. wink.gif
Paradigm
I'm definately interested in finally playing something again, and I have a few character ideas. But I've never before played a game by mail or board before, so I'll lurk a bit for now to see if I can grasp the basics before I blunder into the middle of something.
Toras
My Negotiator:

[ Spoiler ]
Abbandon
Ok any idea's for some modifiers and or behaviors for a Bat mentor spirit??

I was thinking +2 to detection spells. Maybe -2 to everything while in day light. And something else.. I think the something else should be something good because the daylight thing is pretty severe.

Bats hang out togther and hunt at night for small insects or fruit or animals(to drink blood). So maybe the behavior that shoud be expressed is easily hangs out with others, goes after what he wants. Maybe they kind of use people sometimes to represent the blood sucking hehe.

edit. Hmm ok how about +2 to detection, +2 to beast and -2 to everything when he isnt with a friend? That actually sounds pretty wicked. I dont know if I would want tha friendship penalty or the sun light. I dont have any friends IRL and never have, It would be hard to roleplay that lol. Hmmm which would displease my bat totem more...probably being alone....

oh crap that raises more problems! My pathetically thin contacts list. I have one dude a talismonger and I woul be changeing that into someone EVO related for this campaigne... hmmm are friends the same thing as contacts? I could have a ton of friends and NOT have them as contacts right? I would just never ever call on them for any kind of help which seems dumb but passable....

BlackHat
Very much not up-to-snuff on the magic rules - and I think if DR is going to allow a bat mentor spirit it would really be his call as to what it does, but I think that all of the examples in the BBB offer two +2 bonuses to particular spell group, a particular spirit type, or a single non-combat non-magic skill. There are several examples of using +2 to a particular social skills (Etiquette for fitting in?). In any case, the disadvantages seem all over the board and don't seem to have a lot of weight on the bonuses.

Just my two cents.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Paradigm)
I'm definately interested in finally playing something again, and I have a few character ideas. But I've never before played a game by mail or board before, so I'll lurk a bit for now to see if I can grasp the basics before I blunder into the middle of something.

You have to start somewhere. Make a Character and jump in.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Abbandon)
Ok any idea's for some modifiers and or behaviors for a Bat mentor spirit??

I was thinking +2 to detection spells. Maybe -2 to everything while in day light. And something else.. I think the something else should be something good because the daylight thing is pretty severe.

Bats hang out togther and hunt at night for small insects or fruit or animals(to drink blood). So maybe the behavior that shoud be expressed is easily hangs out with others, goes after what he wants. Maybe they kind of use people sometimes to represent the blood sucking hehe.

How does this sound?

+ 2 Detection
+ 2 Air Spirits
-1 in Daylight
Abbandon
See my edit above. I thought about air spirits..but I would definately love to be able to summon bat spirits. Do different catagories of spirits have access to different powers or do they all have the same pool of powers to draw from?

edit ok got off my lazy butt and looked at spirits lol. Air spirit sounds wicked!! Forget beast spirits lol.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Abbandon)
See my edit above. I thought about air spirits..but I would definately love to be able to summon bat spirits. Do different catagories of spirits have access to different powers or do they all have the same pool of powers to draw from?

Beast Spirits instead of Air is fine too.

The different types of spirits have different sets of skills and optional powers available.

In general Beast Spirits come standard with combat powers and Concealment, Confusion as optional, and Air come with combat powers as optional.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012