Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A question about modular cyberlimbs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Catharz Godfoot
So, I buy a modular cyberlimb. I go for alpha, and now I have a nice little UCCP on my shoulder and I'm down .8 essence.

Now I buy an arm, trick it out, and put a modular adaptation on it for 500:nuyen:. Fine. But that arm isn't alphaware! Do I lose .2 essence when I snap it into place? What the fuck? What. The. Fuck.

Or maybe the "Universal Cyberware Connector Plug" isn't universal. Maybe, although it will accept limbs made by Evo, Cyberdynamics, Zeiss, Shiawase, or anyone else, it will only accept alpha-grade limbs.

Or maybe I get something for 'nothing', and wham, I can benefit from a tricked-out cyberlimb for less essence at only slightly over the standard price. No broke (given the general crappyness of cyberlimbs), but still odd.

So, which is it?
Fortune
QUOTE (Catharz Godfoot)
Or maybe the "Universal Cyberware Connector Plug" isn't universal. Maybe, although it will accept limbs made by Evo, Cyberdynamics, Zeiss, Shiawase, or anyone else, it will only accept alpha-grade limbs.

This is pretty much the correct way of looking at it.
Ryu
If you want an ingame justification, consider ware grades related technologies that are not integrateable.
FrankTrollman
No, there's really no "reason" that a modular cyberlimb of low quality would make you lose Essence over and above what you lost from getting your high quality stump attachment point. It's basically just like the question of rigging Invader Zim arms with your datajack. There's no reason that shouldn't work either.

Now personally I have no problem at all with people running low quality modular cyberlimbs through their high quality UCCP. Is it cheap? Sure it is. But cyberlimbs are too expensive, so I don't really look at it as people getting something that they aren't entitled to.

-Frank
Catharz Godfoot
Thanks for the responses.

So basically, the probable intention of the rules is that the UCCP for cyberware grades is a marketing ploy, and you'll get massively killed by corp commandos of you manage crack it (which is probably pretty difficult anyway).

However, I'd probably be better off just ignoring the whole thing and letting people 'plug and play' with whatever they find lying around.
Tarantula
Actually, I was just looking at the book, and noticed something:
Aug, 45, "Modular cyberlimbs feature a universal cyberware connector plug (UCCP) just below the wrist, elbow, ankle, or knee joint, allowing them to be easily detached and re-attached."

They can't detach at the shoulder/hip at all.

Don't forget, having it be modular adds to the availability and has a cost multiplier.
Catharz Godfoot
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Aug, 45, "Modular cyberlimbs feature a universal cyberware connector plug (UCCP) just below the wrist, elbow, ankle, or knee joint, allowing them to be easily detached and re-attached."

Don't forget, having it be modular adds to the availability and has a cost multiplier.

The modular cyberlimb implant has an availability modifier of +1, and a cost multiplier of 1.1. That's not too much when you only have to pay for the base limb.
Modular adaptation for a cyberlimb costs 500 additional nuyen, and increases availability by 2. On the whole, that's not going to be too bad, and you can avoid what might be exorbitant multiplication with such adaptation. Modular adaptation for normal gear is almost always a losing proposition, as you could probably use it more effectively with hands.

Good call on the location of the plug, though.
Catharz Godfoot
I was looking over the cyberware in Augmentation again, and I noticed another interesting thing: there are certain types of cyberware which can only be "installed in a cyberhand". I thought that odd, as there seemed no reason that a modification which could be installed in in a cyberhand could not be installed in a cyberarm. I read further, and noticed similar references to cyberfeet.

After pondering this for a while, I came to a realization: cyberarms have cyberhands! 'Well', you say, 'no shit Sherlock'. This subtlety, however, has eluded me for over a year. It certainly makes things easier when dealing with modular cyberlimbs (e.g. the limbs can be treated separately such that a full arm replacement can use a drone hand without appearing to have a congenital defect).

Anyway, just a little 'present' to those who didn't notice.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Catharz Godfoot)
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Nov 24 2007, 03:57 PM)

The modular cyberlimb implant has an availability modifier of +1, and a cost multiplier of 1.1. That's not too much when you only have to pay for the base limb.
Modular adaptation for a cyberlimb costs 500 additional nuyen, and increases availability by 2. On the whole, that's not going to be too bad, and you can avoid what might be exorbitant multiplication with such adaptation. Modular adaptation for normal gear is almost always a losing proposition, as you could probably use it more effectively with hands.

Good call on the location of the plug, though.

A base cyberarm or leg is 15k and availability 4. That means that buying a modular arm or leg costs 16,500 with an availability of 5. Sure, its not a huge difference, but your figure of 500¥ and +2 availibility is wrong. I've no idea where you got it.

Now, take a custom limb. Since thats the only way for them to be rather effective. Those can hit 30k easy by the time you're done with it. Make it modular, and now that cost you 3k instead of 1500.
Catharz Godfoot
QUOTE (Tarantula)
A base cyberarm or leg is 15k and availability 4. That means that buying a modular arm or leg costs 16,500 with an availability of 5. Sure, its not a huge difference, but your figure of 500¥ and +2 availibility is wrong. I've no idea where you got it.

Now, take a custom limb. Since thats the only way for them to be rather effective. Those can hit 30k easy by the time you're done with it. Make it modular, and now that cost you 3k instead of 1500.

Modular plug-in adaptation is on page 47.

And are you telling me that 33k is really that much more painful than 31.5k?
Tarantula
That is for gear, not for cyberlimbs.

Moduler cyberlimb is on page 46. And yes, 33k is a good deal worse than 30k. If you can get your limb under 30k, then its only 6 bp. If its 30,001 then it cost you 7bp.
Stahlseele
has alpha grade been factored in yet?
Tarantula
Nope. Alpha grade makes that 30k limb 60k, and then modular makes it 66k.
Catharz Godfoot
QUOTE (Tarantula)
That is for gear, not for cyberlimbs.

Cyberware is gear.
Tarantula
Yes, however there is a difference. Page 46 is explicitly for cyberlimb implants. Page 47 is explicitly for gear. Thusly, if you want to make your cyberarm modular, you use page 46. If you want to have an autopicker hand replacement, you use page 47 for a modular autopicker.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012