Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Names of Things
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mercer
In no particular order, names of things. Some of these might be actual names, its hard to say. At the time I was just scribbling things down as they appealed to me. A lot of free association I guess-- there's a lot of good street names in the drug list and a couple of neat drugs in the street name list. A lot of movie names, and oddly, names that became movies.

Combat Drugs, or just Drugs: Blight, Superman, Gilgamesh, Power, Rage, Rancor, Hero, Fury, Spirit (or Breath) of the Gods, Deadwood, Saint of Killers, Wild Bill, Bonny, Frenzy, Berzerker, Wolverine, Jaws, WpnX, Great White, Raptor, Mad Dog, Rabies, Pirannha, Zombie or Zomby, Desperado, Cowboy, Samurai, Ronin, Spirit, Lazarus, Quincy, SuperSoldier, Mutant, Shogun, Jason, Meyers, Crack, Devil Dust, Demon, Beezle(bub), Black Knight, Behemoth, Steel, Blood, Werewolf, Rojo Gato, Snake, Dragon, Psycho, Green Ranger, Green Ripper, White House, Domino, Pressure, Geyser, Drown, Thunder, Lightning, Bad Weather, Resurrection, Ambition, Alacrity, Cairo, Supremecy, Warrior, Black Buffalo, Warwoman, Noah, Grizzly, Warlock, Bulldog, Chainsaw, Krueger, Ego, Fire, Claymore, Wallace, Equilizer, Bodyguard, Blitzkrieg, Westphalia, Vader, Stampede, Mosh, Ripper, Dalmer, Sweettooth, Murder One, Method or Methodology, Spartan, Gladiator, Rambo, Terminator, Schwarzenegger, Ghost-Face Killer, Blackhawk, Tsunami, Omega Man, Hitman, Rainstorm, Bloodsport, Soylent Red, Scratch...

Organization Names: Forty Thieves, Diamond Dogs, Urban Predators, Spider Mafia, Shogun Inc, Ronin, Kelly's Heroes, Techgeist, Imagine Nation, Equidyne...

Bars, Nightclubs, and so on, maybe vampire themed?: KZ's, The Meat Market, The Bank, The Crypt, Count's, Coffin Rock, Plasma Sex, Candy Store, The Forsaken, Chemical Saints, Saint Nick's, Satan Claws, Gooseberry's, Gott in Himmel (or Teufel in Himmel, or Gott in Holle),Woodstock Uber Alles, Sacred Devils, Cockroach Mafia, Soy Bomb (yeah, mostly vampire themed)...

Character Names, some serious, some not, some names of actual people:
Silent Knight
Mother Superior
Virgin Mary (prostitute)
Valkryie
Pawn, Rook, Bishop, etc
Moon Rat
Josef Creel
Karl Murtur
Algodon (Spanish for "cotton", I think)
John Kancir
Herr Teufel (Mr. Devil, in German)
Rasputina Molotov
Spyce (covert operative, stripper or both)
Mr. Zero
Warpath
David Star (Hasidic Fixer)
Buck Futtocks (this one still makes me laugh)
Wargasm
Julian Myndfyre
Prince Nez
Dexter Malnutrition
Crossfire
Daddy's Little Ninja
The odds of tracking down runners as real or not is pretty vague. that is why they use street names. Maybe they are real. Maybe they are not. Maybe someone claims cred for an act they didn't do, maybe a prime runner lets the common market think someone else pulled something off.
"Yeah, sure. It was Captain Tuttle who hit that spot. I got an alabi."
Sir_Psycho
My next meet with a Johnson is so going to be held at Plasma Sex.
KarmaInferno
It's a wonder that the runner community hasn't come up with a "generic" name for themselves like Mr. Johnson, for anonymity purposes.

"I'm Bob Smith."

"Uh, the guy I hired last week was Bob Smith."

"Yeah, He's Bob Smith too. So is the guy you're gonna hire tomorrow. We're all Bob Smith."

wink.gif

I'd pass on 'Rambo' too many bad images. It's an insult. "Cool down Rambo."

I'd also skip the runner names that are too long.
By the time you can say "Dexter Malnutrition, look out!" it'll be too late.

for group names- I'd avoid bug references. Call your team the 'spider mafia' and you might find an Ares Firewatch Team looking for your lair.
Sir_Psycho
QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
It's a wonder that the runner community hasn't come up with a "generic" name for themselves like Mr. Johnson, for anonymity purposes.

"I'm Bob Smith."

"Uh, the guy I hired last week was Bob Smith."

"Yeah, He's Bob Smith too. So is the guy you're gonna hire tomorrow. We're all Bob Smith."

wink.gif

I think "Robert Paulson" would be more appropriate. wink.gif
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (KarmaInferno)

"I'm Bob Smith."

he checks into an awful lot of coffin motels
Mercer
I'll address each point in turn to prove that every thought I have, even the ones that I jotted down in a notebook 8 years ago on a whim, are unimpeachable.

QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
I'd pass on 'Rambo' too many bad images. It's an insult. "Cool down Rambo."

That's what makes it a great name for a Combat Drug, particularly one of the generic, street-level knock-offs that's probably just PCP and heroin. Drugs aren't just called by their manufacture names, but also by their street names (which tend to be much more accurate).

I'd also skip the runner names that are too long.
By the time you can say "Dexter Malnutrition, look out!" it'll be too late.

Who uses full names in "Duck!" situtations? Character names (particularly NPC names) should be simple, distinctive, memorable and give you an idea about the character, because it makes it easier for the pc's to remember who it is. (Try that with a campaign full of NPCs named Bob Smith.) Dexter Malnutrition is a name that lodges in the frontal lobe like a rusty icepick.

for group names- I'd avoid bug references. Call your team the 'spider mafia' and you might find an Ares Firewatch Team looking for your lair.

Actually, the arachnid totems are tolerated precisely because they prey upon the insect totems, but poetic license is allowed when naming things. Much like the Ares Firewatch Team isn't comprised of disciples of the Greek god of battle or doesn't spend all it's time looking for fires, I think a gang could call itself The Spider Mafia and assume that most people won't think they are actual spiders. As in:

"He is known as 'The Sand Spider'."
"Why?"
"Probably because it sounds scary."
Snow_Fox
Sure prime runners wouldn't make the spider mistake BUT that doesn't mean someone who's slotted too many 'Slade the Sniper' chips won't interpret it the wrong way.
Sir_Psycho
Oh come on, since when has anyone gone to Don Maurice Bigio looking for a rack of lamb?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012