Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Great/Immortal Humand, Dwarfs, Orks, etc...?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Pabloj
Im really fed up on how elves are supposed to be better than everyone else on most games (there´s even a motivational poster on this).

So, If shadowrun allows for the existence of "great" (aka immortal) versions of things: great dragons, great elves, great spirits, etc, why not having other humans and meta´s "great" counterparts?

Personally, I despise the idea that the immortal ones are behind everything. Im pretty much on the idea of not having them being active on the downcycle for most of the time. But I wont cut out the immortals as they are a big piece of the metaplot, just balance it with other immortals, all rather sneaky, behind the scenes figures. No immortal hunting on my games.

Maybe an immortal dwarf is behind that "all dwarven corporation"? Maybe an immortal Ork hides in the Ork underground?

I would welcome any comments, ideas and suggestions in this matter.
Kagetenshi
Because Equality Ain't Cool™. What fun would it be if just anyone could live forever?

~J
Pabloj
Im not taking everyone. Just very very very few people, but from all common races.

An I will never let a player get an immortal character.
Kagetenshi
No no, that's what I mean, though—if you aren't locked out of any possibility of being immortal, simply by not being the right metatype, what fun is it?

~J
Pabloj
Personaly, I dont see the fun in only elves getting to be immortal. Maybe they are the ones to get the most of it, or the ones that managed to awake earlier, but by no means the only, all mighty privileged ones.
Fuchs
In my campaign, there are no immortal elves - there may be some things that look like elves, and claim to be elves, but are not really metahuman in any sense of the word.
Pabloj
That is certainly another angle I was thinking on taking. Please share more of it.
CircuitBoyBlue
I think the implication is that all elves might be immortal. And yes, it sucks. But I think a better solution is to just ignore metaplot. Seriously, there's not really any instances in the setting where the metaplot HAS to be "true" for the normal plot to make sense, unless you're running Harlequin or something. Just treat the Immortal Elves like they're just some fantasy concocted by shadowtalkers, and you should be fine.

I hate the idea of Immortal Elves. Don't get me wrong, I've been through Harlequin and Harlequin's back, and enjoyed them, but Harlequin seemed more like a bad guy than anything, and I felt railroaded as a player in that I couldn't exact proper revenge on the jerk. Among 99% of roleplayers I've personally met, it seems elves are the most universally hated race in all forms of fiction and RPG. It's a shame that they're the ones that get glorified everywhere.
Pabloj
Or perhaps that should get it´s own thread? I mean Fuchs idea.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Pabloj)
Personaly, I dont see the fun in only elves getting to be immortal. Maybe they are the ones to get the most of it, or the ones that managed to awake earlier, but by no means the only, all mighty privileged ones.

I don't see the fun in them not being the only, all-mighty privileged ones. It provides a distinct and objective division in capability and future prospect, but any hatred caused by this is most likely to fall on the Elves who aren't "in the club".

~J
Pabloj
Well, thanks for you view, Kagetenshi, but I really want to discuss about other races immortality possibilities.
Fuchs
Easy: Spirit pact with Immunity to age (if I recall correctly) as a benefit of hiding the spirit formula in the metahuman making the pact. That way, just about every race can have "immortals".
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Pabloj @ Nov 28 2007, 09:09 AM)
Well, thanks for you view, Kagetenshi, but I really want to discuss about other races immortality possibilities.

You did ask "why not" in the initial post nyahnyah.gif

~J
Critias
Since when has equality got any place in a dystopian future?

Also...
Among 99% of roleplayers I've personally met, it seems elves are the most universally hated race in all forms of fiction and RPG. It's a shame that they're the ones that get glorified everywhere.

If 99% of roleplayers really hated elves, they wouldn't be glorified everywhere, included in so many games, or nearly as popular as they are. I'd say your sample size needs to be enlarged, your sample group is skewed, or your idea of what "seems" to be is otherwise horribly off.
eidolon
I used to be an avowed IE hater, but then I actually started reading across the information and putting together what they are and what they're up to. Used to hate ED crossover stuff too.

I recommend checking out AH's site. Read everything you can about the GDs and the IEs if you haven't.

If you have and still hate them, then DOWN WITH IEs! smile.gif
Pabloj
I recently finished reading the AH site.

And I don't want to cut out IE at this moment. I want to keep them as rather secretly powermovers of the sixth world. But I also want to explore the possibility of having Great/Immortal humans, dwarfs, trolls and orks around, playing the same game and using the runners in the same way.

So the question is: where would this immortal non elves be? what would their agendas look like? What organizations might they be behind?
Critias
QUOTE (Pabloj)
So the question is: where would this immortal non elves be? what would their agendas look like? What organizations might they be behind?

It's your idea, dude. Make a suggestion or something.
Grinder
If you play with the idea of Immortal Humans/ Orks/ Dwarves, what would be the discitintion between an IH, IO, ID and IE? Right, nothing. So every one of them would have their own agenda, which would be determined by personal interests and not by the fact that the individual is part of a "The Immortal [enter metarace here]-cabal.
CircuitBoyBlue
Also, I'm not sure it would entirely contradict "canon" metaplot to have other immortal races. For one thing, they say the IE's basically became immortal humans during the "down cycle." And I think it took some longer to get their pointy ears back than others. What if some of them goblinized in that window between UGE and the last of the IE's getting all elfy again? Or what if some of them decided they liked being human, and just ran with it? That way, if you're trying to, say, have a Troll NPC who was around for the founding of Rome, you could do it. He just might not have been a Troll at the time. If you DO want him to have been a Troll at the time, I guess you'll have to think of a better explanation than I can come up with at work when I've had 6 hours of sleep in the past 3 days. But that's not a tall order, so you should be fine.
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (Critias)
Since when has equality got any place in a dystopian future?

Also...
Among 99% of roleplayers I've personally met, it seems elves are the most universally hated race in all forms of fiction and RPG. It's a shame that they're the ones that get glorified everywhere.

If 99% of roleplayers really hated elves, they wouldn't be glorified everywhere, included in so many games, or nearly as popular as they are. I'd say your sample size needs to be enlarged, your sample group is skewed, or your idea of what "seems" to be is otherwise horribly off.

I guess I was unclear. I know my sample size is not representative. I was just offering anecdotal observation.
Pabloj
Yes, all of the immortal dudes must have turned humans during the downcycle.

As for my own ideas:

Immortal Trolls in the Ork Underground.
Immortal Drwarfes on the all dwarfs corporation? can´t remember the name.
Immortal Trolls? no idea Maybe German estates?
Immortal Humans? lots pf posibilities. Maybe Damien Knight is one and the Leonization is just a facade.
Fuchs
Most players I know dislike elves too.
Ophis
AH will go berzerk at me bring these ideas up....

But hey, I've moderately convinced that there is an Immortal Ork around, in ED he was Garlthrik One-Eye, ruler of Kratas, basically the greatest thief in the world, and he was so scared of death he couldn't die. His ED pics look very like a a picture of an AR Ork artist called Adam Alone (accents in three he's french). In a ED adventure published in the Earthdawn Journal he hires a party to find an item that wards off senility. I think he's still around.

(Stands proud in the face of the ensuing shit storm about this)

Also apparently German sourcebooks had some material hinting at Immortal dwarves...
Pabloj
Also apparently German sourcebooks had some material hinting at Immortal dwarves...

Really??? I havent read that sourcebook yet. Where is that?
Ancient History
There's the suggestion that the reason some dragonkin elves are immortal is because of dragon ritual magic.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Pabloj @ Nov 28 2007, 11:18 AM)

it's also been mentioned in the novel series of germany in the shadows or whatever it is called in english. the dwarven underground kingdom of hwaldos, deep beneath the coal mines of western germany. specifically REM the dwarf hails from there.
also it's been hinted that this kingdom has ALLWAYS BEEN THERE . . so they might be immortal dwarves from the 4th world and hwaldos may very well be an kaer
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (Fuchs)

Thank goodness I'm not alone. In another thread, I've got someone insulting my intelligence because I think it's morally acceptable to dislike people on account of their race in instances where that race is fictitious. In other words:

My character is racist against elves---that's not ok
I'm racist against elves---perfectly acceptable

That's where I stand, anyway. I really don't see a problem with it.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue)
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Nov 28 2007, 11:00 AM)

Thank goodness I'm not alone. In another thread, I've got someone insulting my intelligence because I think it's morally acceptable to dislike people on account of their race in instances where that race is fictitious. In other words:

My character is racist against elves---that's not ok
I'm racist against elves---perfectly acceptable

That's where I stand, anyway. I really don't see a problem with it.

my characters(read: all of them[exceptions:the one or two proof of concept elf-characters i built just to show that i can if i want to]) are racist against elves because I am racist against elves . . perfectly fine with me *g*
Ancient History
QUOTE (Ophis)
AH will go berzerk at me bring these ideas up....

But hey, I've moderately convinced that there is an Immortal Ork around, in ED he was Garlthrik One-Eye, ruler of Kratas, basically the greatest thief in the world, and he was so scared of death he couldn't die. His ED pics look very like a a picture of an AR Ork artist called Adam Alone (accents in three he's french). In a ED adventure published in the Earthdawn Journal he hires a party to find an item that wards off senility. I think he's still around.

(Stands proud in the face of the ensuing shit storm about this)

Minor correction: Garlthik was such a great thief that every night he stole another day of life from Death. That ork was hard-core.
Cochise
QUOTE (Pabloj)

You haven't read it in a sourcebook because it originally was part of a non-canonical novel trilogy. It caused major uproar within the german player community and some of "us" hoped that it would stay in those novels, just as other had hoped that Drakes would stay there when Ryan Mercury made his appearance in the Dragonheart trilogy.

However, in later german publications (i.e. Deutschland in den Schatten II, another german sourcebook with 300+ pages) the dwarven kingdom, including REM who had claims to the throne heritage of said kingdom, were mentioned. Luckily (at least to me), most of it only as part of Shadow Talk. So its actual existance (as well as "immortal" dwarfs or rather a community of dwarves that dwelved there even during the down cycle of mana) is still subject of debate. It could as well be a urban legend within the shadowrun universe (and I for one am treating it exactly that way).
Stahlseele
and that my dear friends, is the sole reason why one of my characters shall go crazy . . because he's a dwarven archeologist/digging shaman on the search for such underground kingdoms.
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Minor correction: Garlthik was such a great thief that every night he stole another day of life from Death. That ork was hard-core.

No, hardcore would be if he kept stealing life one night at a time.
Black Irish
QUOTE (Ophis)
"... in ED he was Garlthrik One-Eye, ruler of Kratas, basically the greatest thief in the world, and he was so scared of death he couldn't die ..."

This is the sort of approach I would take. Rather than try to come up with the equivalent of IEs for other metatypes, brainstorm reasons why other individuals (of any metatype) might have gained some form of immortality that preserved them through the Fifth Age.

So, Garlthik is an immortal ork, still wandering the 6th world, who gained his longevity b/c he was so scared of death (or otherwise cursed). Maybe you have a small group of dwarves who were somehow bound to earth elementals, gaining immortality -- although the waning of magic might have turned them to stone until the mana returned.

Similarly, perhaps an immortal troll ran afoul of Great Dragon in some earlier era and bears some sort of undying curse. Vampires, blood mages, or some cabal of ultrapowerful mages might have found a way to survive during the low-magic times (or sealed themselves away in an undiscovered kaer or something, only to reawaken recently).

Maybe you have a human cursed with a form of powerful regeneration -- he can be killed, but eventually his body regenerates. Due to brain death his memories are partially erased each time, depending on how much brain tissue had to be grown "new". The regeneration could have moved slowly (taking decades or centuries) during the low-magic era, so he only experienced a few "life-times" during the past few millenia.

These individual explanations allow for immortals of other metatypes without seriously screwing with the metaplot or adding in whole races of immortals.
Sir_Psycho
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Nov 28 2007, 03:13 PM)

No, hardcore would be if he kept stealing life one night at a time.

And stealing a few nights with Death's wife for good measure. Hardcore!
SonofaSailor
There is some rumor of a Immortal human family, the basis for the Denairastas

http://members.aol.com/thermog2/shadowrun/...enairastas.html

There is also some folks that like to link the Denairastas from Ed to the BlackLodge

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...ic=15332&st=150

Someone will be along to correct me if i am wrong, but I believe the Denairastas were a human clan with dragon blodd/genes coursing thru thier viens.
Sir_Psycho
I think it's plausible that if so many elves attained immortality, that at least one of the other races were proficient enough in ways arcane and have been chillin' througout the fifth age.

As for other Earthdawn ideas. I sometimes toy with the idea of having some runners unearth the Life Rock (or whatever it's called) of some Obsidimen and have them pop out. I seem to remember that the Obsidimen can live forever within a certain vicinity of their life-rock. Giant sentient beings made out of rocks? Think of the body dice!

Not to mention the T'skrang would make great pirates.
Fortune
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Nov 30 2007, 07:33 PM)
... the T'skrang ...

That would probably be enough to make me quit Shadowrun.
Fuchs
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Nov 30 2007, 07:33 PM)
... the T'skrang ...

That would probably be enough to make me quit Shadowrun.

Why? You don't have to use them. I don't have technomancers in my campaign, did not run much of the metaplot since years. Bug city and Renraku arcology shut down were squashed by the UCAS military within a few days to a week, not left lingering for months, Leonardo never existed, Dunkie's campaign is in limbo, etc.

Fortune
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Nov 30 2007, 08:43 PM)
Why? You don't have to use them.

Because they would then officially exist in the world, and included in all future material, maybe even to a major degree. I would have to adapt too much to take out an entire race. I also wouldn't get the nearly same enjoyment I do now from reading everything I can about Shadowrun, when I have to edit and change things as I read.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Nov 30 2007, 05:43 AM)
Why? You don't have to use them. I don't have technomancers in my campaign, did not run much of the metaplot since years. Bug city and Renraku arcology shut down were squashed by the UCAS military within a few days to a week, not left lingering for months, Leonardo never existed, Dunkie's campaign is in limbo, etc.

What, seriously? What's the point in paying for something if you're going to tear most of it out?

~J
Ophis
QUOTE (Ancient History)

That's a new one on me, but then my ED collection is far from complete. Him and J'role are the reason my first ED character was a thief. Mostly I think Garlthrik was so hardcore he deserves to survive till the 6th world.
Fuchs
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

What, seriously? What's the point in paying for something if you're going to tear most of it out?

~J

I use most of it - the rules, and many of the ideas. I used both Bug City and Renraku Arcology Shutdown as adventures where the runners were involved in the crucial events - I simply did assume that after a few days, the situation was under control, and that the UCAS and Ares/Renraku would not let the areas be occupied by Deus/insect spirits for months.

Leonardo never made it into any run, and on the level I am running my campaign, it does not matter if Dunkelzahn died or not - I can use the "dragon's heritage" ploy easily without Dunkelzahn dieing - or even without a dragon.

To sum it up: For my campaign, where runners deal with their troubles and runs, and don't fight to save the planet, the whole metaplot does not have much of an effect. I have megacorps rule most of the world, plot against each other, I have dark magical threats of various natures, I have violence and shades of grey.

I don't need the metaplot at all, since the world does not change significantly through it. The wireless matrix I put in as "that's how it always was", since it made more sense anyway.
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

You'd be surprised. That stuff doesn't really come up that often. I mean, it's been years since I've even remembered "Leonardo" existed. Personally, I'm a big fan of the Bug City book (minus the art), but for years we just didn't have it, and it was really no big deal. Once or twice over about 5 years real time, there was an offhand reference to Chicago being a "rough town" or something, but if your group's in Seattle, no biggie. And we ignored Renraku shutdown, too. That one gets a little harder, because apparently it's the Shadowrun equivalent of 9/11, where everyone just wants to keep talking about it ad nauseum. I don't know if that makes sense or not, because I never read the actual module, but it IS kind of annoying to have to "edit" this stuff out when you're reading it. The middle road I've had to choose is that I just accept that there's some good books out there, and there's some bad books out there, and setting-wise, I don't much like anything that came out after the end of 2nd edition (and I don't really care for some stuff that came out before that, either). But I don't think I'd quit over a new race I didn't like being introduced. I mean, if I was going to do that, I'd never have picked up SR in the first place, because elves are lame.
eidolon
Ditto. My current game is the first one in which I have used any of the "metaplot" stuff as far as GDs, IEs, etc. etc. etc. goes. Usually none of that stuff matters in the slightest in my games.
Stahlseele
with us, this stuff is far from happening, as we're playing in 2050 or something like that . . and IF/WHEN something like this comes up, it will probably only be in the news for my charactger(s) and nothing more *g*
Platinum
Does anyone find it strange that "Elves" were the first created race but everyone reverted to humans when magic is in the low cycle?
Stahlseele
that's 'cause elves suck.
ok, so they need less magic to survive as elves, but they still need SOME . . kinda like some people need less air/food/water to survive, but the still need some . .
Fortune
QUOTE (eidolon)
My current game is the first one in which I have used any of the "metaplot" stuff as far as GDs, IEs, etc. etc. etc. goes. Usually none of that stuff matters in the slightest in my games.

Actually playing the game comprises only a very small percentage of the enjoyment I take from Shadowrun. That pleasure would be diminished dramatically with the introduction of an entire race of insect dudes.
Kagetenshi
Eh? I thought they were lizardmen, weren't they?

~J
eidolon
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (eidolon @ Dec 1 2007, 03:21 AM)
My current game is the first one in which I have used any of the "metaplot" stuff as far as GDs, IEs, etc. etc. etc. goes.  Usually none of that stuff matters in the slightest in my games.

Actually playing the game comprises only a very small percentage of the enjoyment I take from Shadowrun. That pleasure would be diminished dramatically with the introduction of an entire race of insect dudes.

Insect dudes as invaders from another plane: OK
Insect dudes as residents of the game world: NO

wink.gif

I hate the metavariants from the companion, and they pretty much don't exist in my games. I also agree with you, and wouldn't want to see something like T'Skrang introduced as a race in Shadowrun. However, I still find the above amusing. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012