Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Genetically engineered soldiers in SR
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kronk2
I am still toying with my SR4 Space opera. I decided only to have 2 races for the onset. gELFS and Humans. The Genetically Engineered Life forms have 3's as min for all their stats and 9's for the max costing about 40 points to buy. I need a few good free racial flaws to balance this out.

Was thinking about making them obviously not human. Shorter than normal and very pale skin/ oversized eyes. Allergy to Sulfur Dioxide?? Granted that Sulfur Dioxide is poisonous anyway in large concentrations, and is a good bit of sulfuric acid, but it is commonly occuring in populated worlds as pollution.

I gave them a triple cost for raising Edge.

this too extreme. please no roasting. cyber.gif
Cthulhudreams
Why would you have super soldiers that are allergic to somehting common.

Why not just make up a package of bioware with a focus on gene engineering and charge it at the BP cost of getting all that bioware/geneware, potentially at a discount to the normal rate of 1 BP = 5k nuyen. Say, 7 or 8k nuyen for a BP, or give them Type O for free ontop of the enforced package smile.gif

Then you're done, and you know it will be relatively balanced smile.gif Justify the lower starting essence as they are 'not that human'
Stahlseele
The Type-O would be the one thing most armies would strive for either way.
Because it makes upgrading them with bioware easier AND every soldier manufactured to be that way would be the perfect organ donor for every other soldier, of course including others with the type-o enhancement . . both of which drastically cut down on maintenance cost *g*
Cthulhudreams
You wouldn't really 'aim' for it. They would obviously be very similar genetically for the mutual transplant stuff, and I imagine organs cultured for 'soldiers' would be relatively easy to get on the grey market, so they would have 'simulated' type O

Maybe bill them 100 points for a package like this

'Soldier' Type (Can relatively 'easily' get delta grade non cultured organs at the price for regular grade -> soldier organs are regular availability +2F)

Stats

4 / 9
1 / 6
1 / 6
3 / 8
1 / 5
1 / 6
1 / 5
1 / 6
1 / 6

Bioware:

Neo-EPO۩
Muscle Augmentation (1-4) 2
Muscle Toner (1-4) 2
Othoskin (1-3) 3
Platelet Factories
Synthacardium (1-3) 3
Troll's Eyes۩
Sleep Regulator
Low Oxygen Tolerance۩
Sync۩
Reakt۩
Qualia۩
PuSHeD۩
Dynomitan۩

Essentially heavily modified orks. You are getting lots of value for that 100 (to be specific, a 100 points of bioware, 20 points of race, and 30 points of qualities), so maybe pull some of it out or up the cost. The bioware isn't really optimised,
hyzmarca
Deep Space Nine tells if that if you're going to create genetically engineered soldiers, you give them an addiction to a substance only you can create. Otherwise, they'll eventually betray you and overthrow your entire race like in Exosquad.
ElFenrir
I actually was thinking of a way to offer certain bio/cyber packages at a slightly reduced BP cost(than if you were to buy them seperately, see skills/skill groups), but of course if you take it, you have to take the whole thing. And offering a nice list of several. Of course if you wanted more you could take them, but it would have to come flat out of your BPs/Resources for that. I guess to figure out BP costs i'd take how many BPs it would cost to actually get said stuff, and then reduce it by a small amount(rounding down maybe...so a set of ware that costs raw 32 BPs would be a 30 BP package.) There would have to be a balancing point though; or else why would a sammie/merc/chromed person take anything else? Perhaps it cuts into a portion of your normal BPs...OR said systems are tweaked to work together in such a way they cannot be upgraded unless it's at a high-grade clinic(unavailable at start and very expensive). I sort of like that second option.

Not the same thing you are talking about, but for some reason it sounded at least in the same general direction of the idea i had milling around my head.
Ravor
You know why don't you just use some of the core races and change the fluff as well as allow them access to cyber/bio that they otherwise would have?

Orks become the "basic" soldier model.

Trolls are the heavy weapons platforms.

Dwarves are short and squat to be the better enabled to scurry in the bowls of the ships.

And Elves of course are just the product of wishfullment for the super rich.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (ElFenrir)
I actually was thinking of a way to offer certain bio/cyber packages at a slightly reduced BP cost(than if you were to buy them seperately, see skills/skill groups), but of course if you take it, you have to take the whole thing. And offering a nice list of several.

Rather than "see skill/skill groups", I would say "see cyberware packages in Augmentation". It's probably a more parallel comparison. There's no reason you couldn't make geneware packages just like cyberware packages.
nezumi
I would agree with hyzamarca. If these are guys made and owned by someone, that someone is going to make a collar for them.

I would also say that because genetic engineering is n soulsot yet perfected, they run a very high chance of unforeseen long-term side effects, such as a high vulnerability to cancer and many unusual (but not rare) diseases. I would probably play them as though they are eternally under bioware overstress, and have the 'the end is near' flaw (can't remember what it's called any more).

Finally, these creatures are no longer natural. They have man-made souls and body. Their essence should be lower, probably about 2 points lower. They cannot be magical in any way. It might be worth considering them vehicles for the purpose of spells - TN is maybe 4 for a slightly processed natural item, +Body, but they don't get to resist spells, nor are they vulnerable to spells that target humans (including heal spells).

Oh yes, I would also tack on some social and mental penalties - these guys are freaks. If people find out, they will be shunned (a lot like replicants in Blade Runner). So they have a dark secret flaw. Depression would likely be very common, due to their odd upbringing. I imagine freud would have a ball with children who had no father or mother, and all their siblings just came from the same test tube.

GELFs would likely be sterile, either intentionally or not. If able to reproduce, the children would have a tremendously high rate of genetic diseases, and would trade some of the above flaws for an equal number of other real vicious flaws.
Malicant
Finally, these creatures are no longer natural. They have man-made souls and body. Their essence should be lower, probably about 2 points lower. They cannot be magical in any way. It might be worth considering them vehicles for the purpose of spells - TN is maybe 4 for a slightly processed natural item, +Body, but they don't get to resist spells, nor are they vulnerable to spells that target humans (including heal spells).

Their bodies are man-adjusted, not man made and their souls are untouched, since the soul is no a scientific term and bio and gentech are both science, not magic. They will have lesser Essence because of the mods, not because they are born in a tank, or something. Also... Vehicles? Dude, seriously? I mean... what? Dude. They are alive.

Oh yes, I would also tack on some social and mental penalties - these guys are freaks. If people find out, they will be shunned (a lot like replicants in Blade Runner). So they have a dark secret flaw.

Only if the setting would percive them as freaks. If they are common enough so no one cares... then no one cares.

Depression would likely be very common, due to their odd upbringing. I imagine freud would have a ball with children who had no father or mother, and all their siblings just came from the same test tube.

Wrong. They wont be depressed. Unless their creators want them to be. Which is unlikely since they are made to be soldiers and we all know how usefull a depressed soldier are. No father/mother? Who cares, no one else they know/care about has them either, so no room to get depressed about it.
Irian
QUOTE (Malicant)
Wrong. They wont be depressed. Unless their creators want them to be.

You're assuming that it is possible to be 100% accurate when doing these things. Depressions can be a side effect which they try to work around with drugs, for example.
Kyoto Kid
...hmm, I wish Augmented came out I was retooling RiS. A genengineered ready to go army of "super soldiers". No need to conscript from the local populace and risk depleting your pool of skilled workers to make up for casualties. Every dictator's dream.
Malicant
You're assuming that it is possible to be 100% accurate when doing these things. Depressions can be a side effect which they try to work around with drugs, for example.

But that's not a "I have no daddy" depression but a "I got a neurotransmitter malfunction" depression. And if you can sufficiently dabble in genetics to create supersoldiers it's only feasible they can tinker away biochemical disorders. If not, further speculation on the flaws of this supersoldiers is pointless. First, we would need to determine the limits of science that creates them. If we expand real world genetics to the point where we actually know what our genes do so we can change one or another, then we should expand other fields of science related to this accordingly.

If a sideeffect of beeing a better soldier is becoming a worse soldier by being emo, than we can assume anyone would want to spend money to mass produce them. If you want them to be dependet on a drug for better control, you remove their ability to produce an enzyme or something simple as that. They will not start writing poems about the sadness of life midcombat because their happy-pills wore off. But they will become sick and finally drop dead if they aren't supplied with "keep-you-running" pills.

Even if we assume genetics aren't good enough to be more than trial and error, they will trail as long till such an error as depression is not an issue. Depressed worker genefreaks is one thing, but the thread started about soldier genefreaks and I stand by my statement that no one in their right mind wants depressed soldier even if you could temporarily fix it with meds.
Mercer
Someone might not have a biochemical disorder and still get mentally jackscrewed (which I believe is the medical term) by their upbringing.

The other side of that is why you might not want depressed soldiers, you probably don't want them too well-adjusted either. For no other reason that its apt and in service to my point, I'll quote Capt. Speirs in Band of Brothers:

We're all scared. You hid in that ditch because you think there's still hope. But Blithe, the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function. Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse. All war depends upon it.

But because it makes for a good story, I think its fair to assume that the more complex you make their thinking processes, the better soldiers they will be but the more likely they will be to suffer from mental disorders. Let's call it "imagination". A soldier with no imagination will be able to follow explicit orders, but won't be able to adapt very well to a the chaotic and ever-changing nature of battle. You want soldiers that can function independently where they need to, otherwise you'd just make drone armies. (Drones, clones... reminds me of a movie the name of which escapes me; I think it was called The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down.) But the more you make them able to deal with that chaos and change, the more they will develop corresponding processes that might impact their effectiveness in other ways. To paraphrase Professor Farnsworth, every system goes to hell once you have to account for free will.

The scientists may be looking for that point on the graph where imagination and obedience are in perfect proportion, but science isn't an exact science. (Or to put another way, "Scientists, all about the 'Coulda', never about the 'Shoulda'.")
Whipstitch
QUOTE (Malicant @ Dec 2 2007, 02:41 PM)

But that's not a "I have no daddy" depression but a "I got a neurotransmitter malfunction" depression. And if you can sufficiently dabble in genetics to create supersoldiers it's only feasible they can tinker away biochemical disorders. If not, further speculation on the flaws of this supersoldiers is pointless. First, we would need to determine the limits of science that creates them.

The limits of shadowrun science are determined only by arbitrary game design conceits and the simple fact that for every action there is a reaction. Much of the genetech in the game has built in flaws and side effects despite being uniformly expensive. I could easily see such characters coming with Guts and Daredrenaline out of the box in exchange for susceptibility to to mild depression and BTL addiction due to the fact that most stimulus likely just isn't enough to hold a freakishly brave adrenaline junkie's attention for very long. Whether that's a fair trade or not is a matter of opinion, and besides, these soldiers could very well be a work in progress; maybe such flaws will be tinkered out, but we may have to wait another generation of GELFs to find out.
HappyDaze
If able to reproduce, the children would have a tremendously high rate of genetic diseases, and would trade some of the above flaws for an equal number of other real vicious flaws.

This isn't really true. If your GELFs are not carriers of recessive autosomal diseases, then this isn't a problem.
apollo124
Actually, per canon, full clones aren't do-able, or at least not yet available. Augmentation, page 53
"...no one has ever managed to successfully generate a clone with a useful brain (in containment). ...Even slow-growth clones exhibit mental disabilities and only an animal-level intelligence at best, likely due to lack of mental stimulus from being raised in storage."

Granted, the GM decides reality in his/her own campaign.
GryMor
Err, full clones are doable and have been done in SR cannon. You just need to be using actual biological equipment to decant them and provide for initial development. I believe this equipment is general reffered to as 'parents'.

But no, you can't tube/vat produce clones with useful minds.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (HappyDaze)
If able to reproduce, the children would have a tremendously high rate of genetic diseases, and would trade some of the above flaws for an equal number of other real vicious flaws.

This isn't really true. If your GELFs are not carriers of recessive autosomal diseases, then this isn't a problem.

Often, genes which cause recessive diseases are useful when a single copy is present. The Sickle Cell gene, for example, provides resistance to malaria, but sickle sell disease is fatal is left untreated. If your soldiers are going to be fighting in Africa, Central America, or Southeast Asia and you're concerned about them contracting Malaria or Awakened Malaria, you might think it wise to give them a proven malaria-fighting trait.

QUOTE (Mercer)
Someone might not have a biochemical disorder and still get mentally jackscrewed (which I believe is the medical term) by their upbringing.

Children learn what they're taught. A lack of early human contact can impede the development of empathy and make it impossible to socialize with others. Obviously, this is undesirable, so such a program would have a great deal of early social contact with surrogate parents, who would undoubtedly be the unit's future commanding officers. Since unit cohesion is very important, it would be likely that a GELF unit would be raised together from birth, as if they were all siblings. This would make them very strong but very insular socially. They'd likely develop their own shorthand language and be very close to each other but have difficulty socializing with outsiders. Since the surrogate parents would certainly demonstrate the utmost moral behavior and follow a tried and true rearing plan, the probability of them developing problems is greatly reduced. Likewise, their access to problematic material would be limited. Sexual drive could be eliminated at a genetic level so that it won't pose problems, or be exploited to create even greater unit cohesion.
The real problems would come if they were cut off from their units and their handlers and forced to fend for themselves.
Narse
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Children learn what they're taught. A lack of early human contact can impede the development of empathy and make it impossible to socialize with others. Obviously, this is undesirable...

While the rest of your post was full of good ideas, this stuck out at me.
I think a lack of empathy would be a desirable trait in soldiers. No more worrying about them questioning morally unacceptable orders. Of course if your setting is less distopian than SR, this may not work as well. But if it is, I think Corps would be very interested in soldiers that just unquestioningly obey.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Narse @ Dec 3 2007, 04:04 AM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Dec 3 2007, 02:33 AM)
Children learn what they're taught. A lack of early human contact can impede the development of empathy and make it impossible to socialize with others. Obviously, this is undesirable...

While the rest of your post was full of good ideas, this stuck out at me.
I think a lack of empathy would be a desirable trait in soldiers. No more worrying about them questioning morally unacceptable orders. Of course if your setting is less distopian than SR, this may not work as well. But if it is, I think Corps would be very interested in soldiers that just unquestioningly obey.

A lack of empathy is completely undesirable in a soldier. Without empathy, one cannot predict the actions and reactions of others. This is obviously a liability in combat, where predicting the actions and reactions of both friend and foe are key to victory. More importantly, such an individual's actions would also be unpredictable, and that isn't good at all.

Empathy is necessary for discipline, for cohesion, for sound tactical and strategic choices. Morality is handled via indoctrination and peer pressure. They are taught to be soldiers, they are taught to kill the enemy without hesitation, they are taught to follow orders without hesitation, and they are taught that this is good. Because they are raised as a family unit with high expectations, hey do follow orders without hesitation since no individual would dare act shamefully in front of the whole group. They may even be taught to regard those outside of their command structure as inferior beings worthy of extermination.

The last thing you want is a bunch of soldiers with attachment disorders or, worse, a bunch of feral people.
Malicant
QUOTE (Malicant)
First, we would need to determine the limits of science that creates them.

QUOTE (Whipstich)
The limits of shadowrun science...

QUOTE (Kronk2 (a.k.a. OP))
I am still toying with my SR4 Space opera.

That is my little hint as why SR science might not be the first choice to apply here. smile.gif
Ustio

In the last run my players did I had them investigating a research facility under seatlle (gotta love underground research bases). anyway MCT were clonning human bodies scooping out the grey matter replacing it with one bit of Bioware and a chunk of cyber ware.

The bioware component handeled all the autonomice functions to keep the meat allive whilst the cyberware was a highly advanced combo of simrig/internal commlink with a very high bandwidth DNI interface.

Basically it was a Jarhead in reverse.

they weren't overly effective against the runners, as the facility had gone into lock down and the meatdrones had begun to massacre all the base personnel (due to the players recon by fire of the air vent system) the MD's were running around in the buff with the weapons they took off base sec-guards.

My idea for the MDs would be to have them run as a network of between 5 and 10 units with rapid datasharing (similar to the SR3 battltac system (oh Small unit tactics how I miss you*) with fully upgraded commlinks and a smattering of geneware (didn't have time to implant anything else except datajacks)

* We house ruoled SUT back in at the beginning of a fight (or whilst an ambush is set up aor whilst planning a run etc) someone rolls their SUT, the hits gained act as a team edge dicepool, that lasts only for that run and that can only be used as long as the plan is being followed.
cx2
QUOTE (Malicant)
QUOTE (Malicant)
First, we would need to determine the limits of science that creates them.

QUOTE (Whipstich)
The limits of shadowrun science...

QUOTE (Kronk2 (a.k.a. OP))
I am still toying with my SR4 Space opera.

That is my little hint as why SR science might not be the first choice to apply here. smile.gif

I think some of the confusion might be from the topic title "Genetically engineered soldiers in SR", and since this technically isn't "in SR" it could have caused a little mix up if people glossed over the first post.
Ravor
I don't have my copy of AUG handy, but is there any reason that the biodrone tech wouldn't work on a metahuman? I remember reading that section twice and not finding any reason stated why it wouldn't work, just that it wasn't mentioned.

So start out with your clone army, add the biodrone tech, and then use a "tame" AI to control them ala a hivemind. Nope, nothing there to go wrong, not at all... wink.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (Malicant)

Their bodies are man-adjusted, not man made and their souls are untouched, since the soul is no a scientific term and bio and gentech are both science, not magic. They will have lesser Essence because of the mods, not because they are born in a tank, or something. Also... Vehicles? Dude, seriously? I mean... what? Dude. They are alive.

Dude, reread what 'essence' is (and why some animals have more or less of it).

Essence = hippy love. Genetic modification is clearly contrary to hippy love, ergo, they would have less of it.

Oh yes, I would also tack on some social and mental penalties - these guys are freaks. If people find out, they will be shunned (a lot like replicants in Blade Runner). So they have a dark secret flaw.

Only if the setting would percive them as freaks. If they are common enough so no one cares... then no one cares.

That is true, or among other GELFs. However, reading the initial description, I saw no reason to assume that was the case, or at least not enough that it didn't warrant at least being mentioned.

Depression would likely be very common, due to their odd upbringing. I imagine freud would have a ball with children who had no father or mother, and all their siblings just came from the same test tube.

Wrong. They wont be depressed. Unless their creators want them to be. Which is unlikely since they are made to be soldiers and we all know how usefull a depressed soldier are. No father/mother? Who cares, no one else they know/care about has them either, so no room to get depressed about it.

Reread your first paragraph. They are man-adjusted, presumably from a human template. If they are basically human at their core, they have psychological needs that must be met, and I have no reason to suspect those needs are being met from the description given (or can be met, without some significant work).

HOWEVER, it would be possible to wire them so they're always happy or content or whatever. I don't think you could wire them so they didn't have any emotions at all, that is too deeply ingrained in us to easily remove. And if you wired them to always be happy, you have a new set of flaws, possibly worse ones really.

Now I did not say they would be EMO. Just that they wouldn't be especially content or happy. They could very well find they have problems forming long term romantic relationships, are very susceptible to being extremely trusting of certain people and not of anyone else, exhibit self destructive behavior and so on. I would not guess they would be mopey or dress all in black.

It is conceivable that someone made a GELF, then raised it like a normal adoptive child, and the GELF then had about the same number of psychological issues as you'd expect from any child raised with obviously different parents (such as cross-race adoptions), which is to say, not very many. However, the text provided in the initial post would lead me to believe that is unlikely to be the case. Hyz made a better argument for it than I.

You'll have to explain why. I would assume, if you're making people with a certain gene sequence, you don't care especially much how the product would be if those genes were remixed. For instance, perhaps they have a super strength gene, S, and it is generally dominant. If your soldiers all have Ss, a quarter of them will get ss. ss is not the same as Ss or SS, so it will have some other, unanticipated results. The scientists might know what it is, but not care.

Malicant
Dude, reread what 'essence' is (and why some animals have more or less of it).

This will be fun. Reread what I wrote. Reread what you wrote to trigger my response.

Here is how I perceived it:
QUOTE (you)
They are clones, meaning they should have lower essence because

QUOTE (me)
I object, they should have lower essence calculated accordingly to the mods implanted.

Also I had trouble taking you seriously after the vehicle thingy. rotfl.gif

Essence = hippy love.

Did I miss something?

But let's get back to the real fun-part.

If they are basically human at their core, they have psychological needs that must be met, and I have no reason to suspect those needs are being met from the description given (or can be met, without some significant work).

So you also don't suspect that someone want's them to do their job. No you rather assume (since ther is no information whatsoever given from the poster) that the creators are retards that clone troopers and then put them in a dark, dampy cellar until further notice? Duuuuuuuuuude? Read hyzmarcas posts, he seems to have similar thoughts to mine on this topic and I'm to lazy to repeat that.
Whipstitch
Well, how about giving the GELFs some unique penalties but also offer optional positive qualities unique to GELFs that exist only to offset those penalties. For example, GELFs could start with a -2 penalty to etiquette tests when dealing with non-GELFs due to their rigid and insular social structure but could take a quality like Diplomatic or Liason Training which provides a +2 bonus in the same situations. That way they could excel in any area (as befits a superior being biggrin.gif) but may have to pay a bit extra to perform perfectly in areas not covered by the rank and file GELF.
Penta
Random thoughts with regards to empathy:

What if you ran it differently?

Genetic engineering optional, put them in an environment a la "Ender's Game".

What would actually happen to humans in that kind of a situation? (Entry occurs at age 6. Subject is eparated from family and the outside rather completely; religious practice banned; frequent transfers between units; forming friendships is made extremely difficult (purists believe it is banned/made impossible); Oh, and there are no nurturing or even remotely gentle adults. They're all basically assholes.)
nezumi
Normally with GELFs, as a GM, I'd have no problem basically trading positives and negatives pretty easily. However, a lot of the background was written out in the first post. IMO, if I'm walking around and there's a whole race of people who are basically twice as strong, smart and sexy as I am with no extra work, I'll probably hold a grudge against them regardless as to what training they got. However, if some were like that and some seemed like 'pretty nice guys' and overall pretty normal, it would be different.

Stahlseele
kinda like elves and other metahumans . . except that there are no "pretty nice guy" elves . . there's only pretty bois
nezumi
Except far, far worse. Elves have a +1 to charisma and a few other edges. These guys have a +3 to *EVERYTHING*.
Stahlseele
BUT! and that's the important BUT! . . they are NOT elves! . . Else they'd be the BUTT of more jokes than anyone would be able to endure in order to play one of them *g*
cx2
QUOTE (nezumi)
Except far, far worse. Elves have a +1 to charisma and a few other edges. These guys have a +3 to *EVERYTHING*.

Could swear it was +2 to charisma along with the +1 agi.
nezumi
Whatever. Let me say, if I was going with my girlfriend to the movie theater and I saw an elf, I could at least remind her I probably make more than him, I'm certainly smarter than him, and I could at least hold my own in a fight. I'd feel uncomfortable, but not very much so. If I were in that same movie theater looking at someone who I know is bigger, stronger, faster, sexier AND smarter than me? I'd hate him, and when I do anything political, a part of me would want to make sure he can't bother me at the same movie theaters I go to ever again. I'd know in my gut my girlfriend would rather be with him than with me.

See what I mean? It's racism, and in this case, possibly justified (since it's based on a generalization which really IS true 99.99% of the time).
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (Kronk2)
I am still toying with my SR4 Space opera. I decided only to have 2 races for the onset. gELFS and Humans. The Genetically Engineered Life forms have 3's as min for all their stats and 9's for the max costing about 40 points to buy. I need a few good free racial flaws to balance this out.

Was thinking about making them obviously not human. Shorter than normal and very pale skin/ oversized eyes. Allergy to Sulfur Dioxide?? Granted that Sulfur Dioxide is poisonous anyway in large concentrations, and is a good bit of sulfuric acid, but it is commonly occuring in populated worlds as pollution.

I gave them a triple cost for raising Edge.

this too extreme. please no roasting. cyber.gif

Sounds very similar to phenotypes in CBT:RPG. You should check the rules for the different phenotypes in the Mechwarrior RPG book. It may help out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012