Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Generate a Page of Dice Results
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
deek
I decided to make my GMing job a little easier and just print out a bunch of pages of random dice rolls. I know the players love rolling dice, but as a GM, it gets pretty monotonous for most rolls.

I did a search and found this site: http://www.costik.com/frpdice.html

It does a good job and the main thing, is that it will generate a page at a time. Our session on Monday only used about 6 lines, granted, we had no combat, just some summoning and hacking.

So, just in case anyone else would like to do the same!
DireRadiant
Dahifen's Online SR4 Dice Roller even has an EDGE option!
FlashbackJon
And there's always Invisible Castle, which admittedly doesn't count hits/successes, to my knowledge. It does, however, retain rolls in the database.
deek
Both are nice, but the one I posted formats all the rolls to a whole page, so I can hop on it, print out a couple pages of dice rolls and be good for the game without having to worry about taking my dice.

For me, it also helps to move the game along (on the GM end) and keep the story flowing. I can look at the results really quick, cross off the ones I used and move onto the story...

If there are other die rollers that will create full pages and format them into a printed page, I would be interested in seeing it.
Jaid
QUOTE (FlashbackJon)
And there's always Invisible Castle, which admittedly doesn't count hits/successes, to my knowledge. It does, however, retain rolls in the database.

it can, however, sort stuff... for example, it can arrange your rolls in order from 1 to 6, which makes it really easy to spot glitches, crit glitches, how many hits you got, how many times you rolled 6, etc. there is also apparently a function to make 6 explode, if you so wish (for edge) wink.gif
Seven-7
CODE
&DICE me=$+roll *-*:@emit [setq(1,[sub([ladd([edit(%0,+,%b)])],[ladd([edit(%1,-,%b)])])])] DICE: [name(%#)] rolled %q1 dice and got: [iter([sort([lrand(1,6,%q1)])],[switch(##,1,[ansi(hr,1)],5,[ansi(hg,5)],6,[ansi(hg,6)],##)])]
&DICE.EDGE me=$+roll/e *-*:@emit [setq(1,[sub([ladd([edit(%0,+,%b)])],[ladd([edit(%1,-,%b)])])])] DICE: [name(%#)] rolled %q1 dice and got: [iter([sort([edit([lrand(1,6,%q1)],6,6 [lrand(1,6,1)])])],[switch(##,1,[ansi(hr,1)],5,[ansi(hg,5)],6,[ansi(hg,6)],##)])]
&DICE.UNSORTED.EDGE me=$+roll/ue *-*:@emit [setq(1,[sub([ladd([edit(%0,+,%b)])],[ladd([edit(%1,-,%b)])])])] DICE: [name(%#)] rolled %q1 dice and got: [iter([edit([lrand(1,6,%q1)],6,6 [lrand(1,6,1)])],[switch(##,1,[ansi(hr,1)],5,[ansi(hg,5)],6,[ansi(hg,6)],##)])]
&DICE.UNSORTED me=$+roll/u *-*:@emit [setq(1,[sub([ladd([edit(%0,+,%b)])],[ladd([edit(%1,-,%b)])])])] DICE: [name(%#)] rolled %q1 dice and got: [iter([lrand(1,6,%q1)],[switch(##,1,[ansi(hr,1)],5,[ansi(hg,5)],6,[ansi(hg,6)],##)])]

TinyMUX, TinyMUSH, PennMUSH, Rhost, and TinyMUSE compatible.

Results:
+roll (Positive Dice: 4+4+4+4)-(Negative Dice:4-4-4-4) for sorted SR4 dice.
+roll/u for unsorted dice.
+roll/e for edge effect.
+roll/ue for unsorted edge effect.

Easily customizable. Automatically marks 1's as red and 5/6's as green.
FlashbackJon
QUOTE (Jaid)
it can, however, sort stuff... for example, it can arrange your rolls in order from 1 to 6, which makes it really easy to spot glitches, crit glitches, how many hits you got, how many times you rolled 6, etc. there is also apparently a function to make 6 explode, if you so wish (for edge) wink.gif

How do you make it sort? That would be immensely useful for our forum-based game...
Jaid
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Jaid, it can.  If you wanted for example 6 dice, you just do
6d6.vs(5)

This tells it to roll 6 d6 dice, .vs is a function call to track how many get the number 5 or higher.

Also, for edge tests used before to get exploding 6's you can do .extra(6).  So our example above with say 1 edge (so 7 dice with exploding 6's) would be 7d6.extra(6).vs(5)

Also, you can do either .ascending() or .descending() to have it sort them, so you can count your 1's for glitches easier.

So, last, our edged example sorted would roll like this:
7d6.ascending().extra(6).vs(5)

this is a quote of a post from frank's game in the welcome to the shadows section (second page of his thread, if you're wondering). if you want to know more about it, you should probably bug tarantula, not me wink.gif

[edit] also, apparently it *can* count up the hits for you also wink.gif [/edit]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012