Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Direct Combat Spells
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
crash2029
Well mainly one. When you cast a direct combat spell, the defender rolls the relevant attribute and you compare hits. If defender gets more spell fizzles. If caster gets more hits spell takes effect with force + net hits effect. Question is: does the defender get to resist damage now or do they automatically take force + net hits?

None of the text I have read on spell summary clearly says what happens at the "Determine Effect" step with regards to damage and resistance.

Any help would be appreciated.
Jaid
the defender gets no damage resist against direct combat spells. (sucks to be them)
Fortune
QUOTE (crash2029)
Well mainly one. When you cast a direct combat spell, the defender rolls the relevant attribute and you compare hits. If defender gets more spell fizzles. If caster gets more hits spell takes effect with force + net hits effect.

Keep in mind that 'net hits' are needed for the spell to succeed. A tie also means the spell fizzles. Another important factor is that the spellcaster's total hits (not net hits) are limited by the Force of the spell.
Whipstitch
Yes, which is why direct combat spells have an annoying tendency to fizzle out at bad times; they're truly an all or nothing affair. That said, I still prefer them over indirect combat spells and their high drain values, even if indirect spells are merely staged down by counterspelling rather than completely resisted outright. Shadowrun's a pretty lethal game, after all. Often times you need to take the gamble and use direct spells since it's highly dangerous to let even amateurs shoot at you for more than a pass or two, and direct spells hit like trucks when they hit at all.
Jaid
actually, the drain on indirect spells isn't that bad. it's the elemental spells that have unpleasant drain. in fact, if you look in your copy of street magic (assuming you have one) you will find that direct vs indirect has no difference in drain code.

for example, compare punch/clout/blast to death touch/manabolt/manaball, or even shatter/powerbolt/powerball (which actually have a higher drain code).
Whipstitch
That's true, but then the silly bastards went and made it so that "blast" is an elemental effect in Street Magic and I haven't been able to talk my gm into letting me make an Indirect non-elemental spell ever since. He just always shrugs and says that you have to be hitting them with something or else it's not really indirect, is it?
MaxMahem
Just tell him its magic. They are getting hit by 'magic' some sort of unspecified 'magical' force, none elemental in nature. Maybe you just conjure a ball of pure 'death' (why not it's magic after all) and send that at them. Or maybe you fire a ray that injects damage into the the targets aura hurting them. Or maybe you cause some of the 'essence' of destruction (maybe from the metaplanes?) to manifest at that location.

The exact nature of it is not important, it is magic after all. The important point is that mechanicaly you want to hurt the target but without the benefit (or cost) of the blast element effects.

Of course your GM is entirely within his rights to simply say 'it doesn't exists in my campaign,' but just trying to give you some ammunition to argue with.
Narse
Um... isn't the Clout® family of spells (brought to you by Aztechnology) both indirect and non-elemental? [and canon to boot!]
Fortune
QUOTE (Narse)
Um... isn't the Clout® family of spells (brought to you by Aztechnology) both indirect and non-elemental? [and canon to boot!]

Yep, which is exactly what Jaid mentioned a few posts ago. smile.gif
Whipstitch
It's also only stun damage, which is why I never take it; half the fun of indirect spells is nuking drones with impunity.
Narse
Well then, just make a bitchslap family of spells that do physical damage, all the rules are right there in SM.

Edit: Ah, didn't realize that it was you who's GM wasn't keen on those spells. Sorry.
Ryu
Talk him into giving you a 5BP/10 karma advantage that reduces drain from your favourite kind of elemental spells by one. Thats what I worked out with one of my players.

Houserule: We agreed that direct combat spell damage is not raised by net successes. This encourages the use of high-force spells and at least some risk of drain if guranteed takedown is wanted. Stunball force 7 was easy living...
GentlemanLoser
QUOTE (Jaid)
the defender gets no damage resist against direct combat spells. (sucks to be them)

You still get your Body (Willpower in some cases?) roll to 'soak' damage.

All that's mentioned is that as Direct Spells hit you form the inside, you don't get any Armour to help you Soak.

So you roll once as part of the opposed test, then you get a chance to reduce the damage done, if the Direct Spell hits.
Fortune
QUOTE (GentlemanLoser @ Dec 9 2007, 06:04 AM)
You still get your Body (Willpower in some cases?) roll to 'soak' damage.

All that's mentioned is that as Direct Spells hit you form the inside, you don't get any Armour to help you Soak.

So you roll once as part of the opposed test, then you get a chance to reduce the damage done, if the Direct Spell hits.

No, you don't. You get the initial Willpower (or Body) roll to see if you can avoid it/shake it off, and that's it as far as defense against Direct Combat spells, unless you have the benefit of protection from something like Counterspelling or Magic Resistance.
DTFarstar
If that is the way you want to play it that's cool, but that isn't what the rules say.

QUOTE ( SR4 pg. 195 & 196)
Direct Combat Spells: Handle these as an Opposed
Test. The caster’s Magic + Spellcasting is resisted by the target’s
Body (for physical spells) or Willpower (for mana spells), plus
Counterspelling (if available). The caster needs at least one net
hit for the spell to take effect. Direct Combat spells affect the
target from the inside, so armor does not help with resistance.
Direct Combat spells cast against nonliving objects are
treated as Success Tests; the caster much achieve enough hits to
beat the item’s Object Resistance (see p. 174). Net hits increase
damage as normal (the object does not get a resistance test).

See? resist with body if P willpower if M, net hits + force = damage.

Note the difference between that and Indirect casting and see that the precedent is set that if you get a soak roll it tell your how.
QUOTE (SR4 pg. 196)
Indirect Combat Spells: Indirect Combat spells are
treated like ranged combat attacks; the caster makes a Magic
+ Spellcasting Success Test versus the target’s Reaction. If the
spell hits, the target resist with Body + half Impact armor
(+ Counterspelling, if available), with each hit reducing the
Damage Value. If the modifi ed spell DV does not exceed the
modifi ed Armor, Physical damage is converted to Stun. Note
that nonliving objects resist damage from an Indirect Combat
spell with their Armor rating x 2 (see Barriers, p. 157).

Again, if you want to play it that way, cool, I don't because the way we play most of my players opponents have counterspelling (usually combat spec'd because that makes sense) So they usually have a pretty decent chance of resistance.

Chris
hyzmarca
QUOTE (DTFarstar)
If that is the way you want to play it that's cool, but that isn't what the rules say.

QUOTE ( SR4 pg. 195 & 196)
Direct Combat Spells: Handle these as an Opposed
Test. The caster’s Magic + Spellcasting is resisted by the target’s
Body (for physical spells) or Willpower (for mana spells), plus
Counterspelling (if available). The caster needs at least one net
hit for the spell to take effect. Direct Combat spells affect the
target from the inside, so armor does not help with resistance.
Direct Combat spells cast against nonliving objects are
treated as Success Tests; the caster much achieve enough hits to
beat the item’s Object Resistance (see p. 174). Net hits increase
damage as normal (the object does not get a resistance test).

See? resist with body if P willpower if M, net hits + force = damage.

That isn't a soak roll, that is a dodge roll by another name. Successes don't stage down the the spell's damage, they negate the magician's successes. If the Magician's successes are reduced to 0, the spell fizzles.

If you were soaking the damage each success would reduce the damage directly.
DTFarstar
I know, though apparently phrased myself poorly in trying to represent that knowledge. I meant that you resist the spell with whatever and if you don't resist it all the way there is no soak roll as per indirect giving you a specific soak roll.

Chris
GentlemanLoser
My word... Then D Spells are totally broken and grossly overpowered.

A Magic 6 Mage could (just for example) overcast to 9 (for a laugh) and attack with let say 12 dice (6 Magic + 6 Sorcery) versus Willpower( I'll say 6 here) and on average have 2 net hits letting him do 11 physical damage with a Manabolt (versus a drain of 4...) and automatically kill (assuming an Body 6 Physical track) they target.

With the target's ony option being having a friendly Mage in LoS to CS them.

I don't like that one bit. :/

Edit:

It's not even about the avialaiblity of any CS. It's the binary nature of D spells.

Either they get resisted and suck,

Or the Mage hits and with enough initiaition / Over casting instantly kills thier target.

Crappy.
kzt
That's a feature, not a bug. nyahnyah.gif Or so I'm told.
GentlemanLoser
A follow on question then.

Upon taking damage, unless otherwise noted, you are allowed a 'Damage Resistance Test'. Body + Armour to 'resist' damage (In some cases another attribute is subbed).

Where in the description of spell casting is this test noted as not being allowed?

Couldn't the "Direct Combat spells effect the target form inside, so armour does not help with resistance" be refering to the 'Damage Resistance Test' and resisting taking damage, and not resisting the opposed attack test?

Edit: wink.gif

To many uses of the ord 'resist' in the books! nyahnyah.gif
Synner
QUOTE (GentlemanLoser @ Dec 8 2007, 09:59 PM)
A Magic 6 Mage could (just for example) overcast to 9 (for a laugh) and attack with let say 12 dice (6 Magic + 6 Sorcery) versus Willpower( I'll say 6 here) and on average have 2 net hits letting him do 11 physical damage with a Manabolt (versus a drain of 4...) and automatically kill (assuming an Body 6 Physical track) they target.

That is indeed the case if the magician and the target are both standing still in a well lit and open space with no concealment whatsoever.

In my experience of typical SR combat situations (ambushes and sniping aside), I find it much more common that magicians lose 4-8 dice from their spellcasting dice pool to visibility and cover modifiers. That kind of thing will change your basic probabilities significantly.
GentlemanLoser
QUOTE (Synner @ Dec 8 2007, 05:48 PM)
QUOTE (GentlemanLoser @ Dec 8 2007, 09:59 PM)

That is indeed the case if the magician and the target are both standing still in a well lit and open space with no concealment whatsoever.

In my experience of typical SR combat situations (ambushes and sniping aside), I find it much more common that magicians lose 4-8 dice from their spellcasting dice pool to visibility and cover modifiers. That kind of thing will change your basic probabilities significantly.

And the opponents would (i assume) be sufering the same penalties.

That doesn't change the binary nature of D Spells, and they either suck totally (to hard to hit with and do nothing but drain) or kill outright (overcast at Force 12 at the poor chump not to have a mage next to him).

Edit: I should also add that those same penalties would apply to indirect spells as well, wouldn't they.

Which are still 'opposed' to hit, and you gain a damage resistance 'soak' roll with them as well...

Why ever use indirect spells? (Unless you're doing something funky wih an elemental effect...)

Edit: 2

Altohugh I knew this, it's just dawned on me that unlike Indirect spells, as direct spells either have no resistance test or ingore armour anyway, so will never be able to stage a Physical D spell down to Stun...

Unlike an Indirect spell.

So again, why ever use an indirect spell?
kzt
Lots of counterspelling. Oodles of counterspelling can make it really unlikely that a direct spell will work.
GentlemanLoser
And even more likely for the 12 Bod Troll (with impact armour) to fully soak/damage resist the Indirect.

Becuase you get counterpselling on that, instead of the attack opposed test.

And the indi has probably been downgraded to Stun from Physical anyay..

You might as well take the all or nothing chance of instantly killing your target with a Direct, then the chance of firsly missing with your indi (due to situational modifiers like those given above, plus whatever magic/ware they have to help them dodge the ranged attack, as it's opposed) or getting it downgraded/fully soaked/resisted even if you do hit...

hyzmarca
QUOTE (GentlemanLoser)
So again, why ever use an indirect spell?

With just the BBB I can make a street legal character with 8+7+2+2+3 = 22 combat spell resistance dice (14 Combat Counterspelling Dice and 8 Willpower). Add in Willpower increasing drugs and/or 'ware and I've got that up to 26 Resistance dice. Add in Genetech from Augmentation and it is up to 27.

Make it a magician providing counterspelling to a mundane and I can add in the Magic Resistance Quality at 4 for 31 dice. Add in Street Magic, give that Mundane the Magical Guard Power via Endowment and Counterspelling 6 (Combat +2) and have him but hits and that is 33 Dice. Have the spirit who is providing endowment be Force 4 and add in his counterspelling just to make it an even 34 dice. You can buy 8 hits with that. you can buy 8 hits with two less than that, actually, and 9 with two more (which aren't difficult to get). With team counterspelling, there is simply no upper limit to the number of spell resistance dice one may have. With initiation and Shielding, one can get even more dice.

Make it a Physical Direct Combat spell and I can do the same with 13 Body and the same number of counterspelling dice. Or I could make him a Troll instead of a Dwarf for 1 less Willpower and 3 more Body.

Add Half Impact Armor, (Lets make it a liberal 10) and that's 44, enough to buy 11 successes.

But, if we assume that the character we are shooting at is a single Mountain magician dwarf rather than a dedicated team of magehunter dwarfs. It'll be resisted with, reasonably 6 + 5 (Combat +2) (Mountain +2) (Combat Counterspelling Focus +3) + (Half Impact 4) = 22 vs 11 damage, which means that it is likely that he will take damage.

Against magicians, particularly initiates and teams, indirect is best. Indirect also may not require LOS to the target depending on how you interpret the rules (and I know that there is an argument about this). The general consensus is that Indirect spells can be blind-fired and indirect area spells can hit unseen characters.
GentlemanLoser
How about adding in a sustained Deflection on the Target as well, to reduce the Damage and chance of the Indirect Spell hitting.

Assuming that Physical Indirect Spells that attack as a Ranged Attack are classed as a Physical Ranged Attack. wink.gif
DTFarstar
I think the point we are all making here isn't that one type of combat spell is better than the other, but that they are all crappy and magic does a much better job doing things that can't be done with guns and grenades.

That said, a well placed F12 stunbolt is wonderful IF it works.

Chris
GentlemanLoser
I see it more like ID spells are comparable to other methods of combat.

While D spells are an unbalanced "very crap not worth your time to use" or "ZOMG overpowered IWIN" double sided coin.

Sure, you can pump CS so high that no D Spell will hit. I'm sure you could (from examples I've seen here) pump soak or combat avoidance in much the same way.

Problem is, as long as you *can* get your D Spell to land, that's it. Game over. It's far more disruptive than managing to actually land a box or two of damage on the uber soaking Troll tank.

And when people do get hit by the Troll Bow, at least they have a small chance of doing something about it, maybe, just maybe, if they roll good, it's not instant Death...

D Spells (if they don't give a Damage Resistance Test) remove that from the players hand. You get hit, you die. Nothing you can do about it. You can't even pretend to try having some hope.

And that's something I really don't like.

Maybe it's just me. wink.gif

Particle_Beam
Then people should try to use edge, and most importantly, avoid being seen as best as possible. Cover is your friend.

There is a good reason why mages are powerful and feared, but they are also rare and one of the very first targets.

It's still bettern than in SR 3, where you never stood a chance against somebody casting a mana- or stunbolt against you in the first place, while the casting mage really didn't get any damage at all, simply because he would always have more hits than you, and that's without deliberately creating a mage with tons of dices. In SR 4, he does get drain damage normally, unless twinked out to utter maximum.

People die when they have no cover and no protection. Doesn't matter if it's some silly troll bow, an assault cannon, a revolver, or a mage with manabolt.
hyzmarca
Actually, in SR3 it was possible to make it extremely difficult for a mage to hit you with a direct combat spell, due to the fact that the TN was your resistance stat. A SR3 magician manabolting a Willpower 2 character has a TN of 2. A magician manabolting a Willpower 8 character would have a TN of 8 and would fail more often than not. Also, shielding increased the TN by the Shielder's Initiate Grade, making it extremely effective. Spell defense, on the other hand, was less useful, due to the limited size of the Spell Pool.

Fixed casting TNs makes spell resistence stats and Shielding far less powerful in SR4, but the it does make counterspelling more useful, particularly with the removal of Spell Pool and the creation of the counterspelling skill.
GentlemanLoser
I'd still like to find out where under casting Direct Spells it's noted your don't get a Damage Resistance Test, like normal. wink.gif

If the answer is the description of Indirect Spells;

If the
spell hits, the target resist with Body + half Impact armor
(+ Counterspelling, if available), with each hit reducing the
Damage Value. If the modifi ed spell DV does not exceed the
modifi ed Armor, Physical damage is converted to Stun.

That's fine. That's a noted change to the usual Body + Armour roll.

The ommision of 'how' to take the DRT under Direct spells doesn't mean you don't get one. As you do get one,when taking any damage, unless noted otherwise...
Fortune
You do get a Damage Resistance roll (of sorts). That is what the Body/Willpower test (without Armor as noted) technically is. What you don't get is a Reaction/avoidance test, as the spell pretty much automatically hits, and affects you unless you manage to reduce the damage down with the resistance roll.

Compare Direct to Indirect spell resistance ...

Indirect
- Roll Reaction test to avoid
- Roll Body test (usually with half Impact Armor) to reduce damage
- Damage must be reduced to zero, regardless of caster's net hits.

Direct
- No Reaction test!
- Roll Body/Willpower (with no Armor) to reduce damage
- Damage does not need to be reduced to zero, as there is no effect if caster has no net successes
GentlemanLoser
As said above, it's not a Damage Resistance Test, as it doesn't reduce the DV of the attack. It's the Resistance/Opposed test to see if the spell hits.

Exactly like the 'Ranged Attack' opposed Test ID spells get.

There is still nothing to say you don't get the DRT, after taking the full DV of a D spell, after it has sucessfully hit.
DTFarstar
*shrug* Gonna have to go with Synner, Frank, and several other of the designers answers which is that you don't get to soak the damage.

Makes more sense, to me anyway, and really if you give soak on Direct damage spells then they go from being the spell for certain situations to never really being that good. Once you get to 20-50 karma where counterspelling and willpower have been raised some and magic is still low-ish then they are nothing way more often than they are all.

Chris
Ryu
Your mileage does vary.

As direct spells do not offer a damage resistance test, they are the spell for nearly every situation. Seriously, what real combat mage is stopped by willpower and counterspelling? Thats an upper ceiling of about 6(attribute) +6(counterspelling) +2(maybe the mage is specialised)=14 dice for most. The combat mage will throw 5(magic) +6(spellcasting) +2(specialisation) +2(mentor spirit) = 15 out of the gate. Without ever spending karma. At that point the investment in willpower for spell defense becomes questionable - it can after all only pay out if counterspelling is present.
toturi
QUOTE (Ryu)
Your mileage does vary.

As direct spells do not offer a damage resistance test, they are the spell for nearly every situation. Seriously, what real combat mage is stopped by willpower and counterspelling? Thats an upper ceiling of about 6(attribute) +6(counterspelling) +2(maybe the mage is specialised)=14 dice for most. The combat mage will throw 5(magic) +6(spellcasting) +2(specialisation) +2(mentor spirit) = 15 out of the gate. Without ever spending karma. At that point the investment in willpower for spell defense becomes questionable - it can after all only pay out if counterspelling is present.

The number of successes of those 15 dice is still limited by the spell Force whereas the counterspelling dice isn't.

Also you can get spirits with Magic Guard power and a Mentor with bonus for counterspelling. Any combat mage can be stonewalled by counterspelling if he chooses to stick with Direct Combat spells. Furthermore, you have Metamagics like Shielding and things like Background Count to make things even worse.
Fortune
QUOTE (GentlemanLoser)
As said above, it's not a Damage Resistance Test, as it doesn't reduce the DV of the attack.

Which is why I said is was sort of a Damage Resistance test, as it does indeed directly reduce the damage you take from the spell with each hit you make. If you make as many (not even more, just an equal amount) hits as the caster, the spell doesn't work at all.
FrankTrollman
How many people who object to the all-or-nothing action of the Mana Bolt also object to the all-or-nothing action of the Petrify spell?

Let's say you're up against a Shadowrunner, you figure he probably has a Body of 5 or so, so you drop a Force 10 Manabolt (requiring a Magic of 5). If you succeed in casting it, the target explodes into a red mist as they take 11 boxes of physical damage. You resist 5P drain. Or you let fly with a Force 5 Petrify. You're limited to 5 hits, which is only occassionally a limitation. If you get a net hit the target turns directly to stone and is out of the combat. You only resist 4S Drain, but you're sustaining a spell for the rest of the battle. Also the astral signatures stop being trackable in just 5 hours instead of 10.

Which is the better spell? That's highly debatable. Situatioally, I'd like to drop an opponent with a lower force spell and take less drain. But situationally I'd like to jack an opponent out of the combat without having to sustain a spell or allow for the possibility that I might get taken out myself and have the target come right back into the battle.

But the fact that it is situational at least gives the possibility of balance. Because I can enumerate circumstances where I would rather cast Petrify and circumstances where I would rather cast Mana Bolt it is well within the grasp of gamemasters to present such circumstances with some frequency that would make a character glad that they had one or the other or both of those spells.

-Frank
Jhaiisiin
In our group, we interpreted the damage resistance of the direct spells as such originally:

Spell fires off with X successes. This is a contested success test, being resisted by Body/Willpower + Counterspelling. Reduced to 0 successes means spell fizzles. Assuming that the spell is successful, then a damage resistance test of Body (for physical damage) or Willpower (for stun damage) is made. No dermal armor, dermal plating style cyberware, bone lacing, external armor, or any similar way of resisting external damage apply to this test, as the damage comes from within.

Now we actually threw that out and went with what a lot of people are saying here with the all or nothing approach because we felt it made the mages near useless. Our group tends to run magic heavy (our GM's pride and joy is his Magical Corp/shadowruning company, and that puts all magical teams together in varying combinations), and we were basically throwing duds against the opposition. It was ridiculous. There were always an abundance of counterspelling dice on our side, and usually not enough on the other, but anyone with enough body was removing what damage we had left over from successful spells.

However, our *original* way of playing it seems to fit in with the RAW, as it doesn't explicitly state that the person doesn't get an actual damage resistance test after the initial success test, which made the mages more useful than previously.

EDIT: Changed info about lethality because my brain is apparently fried and not working properly
GentlemanLoser
I agree Frank, but Petrify has a few drawbacks. It's sustained, so you can drop the casting Mage. Or you can try to dispel the Petrify.

You can't do anything about the insta-gib Direct Spell.

More food for thought.

What happens when I create a Manipulation killing spell (like the SM rules suggest)? Do you get a DRT for your blood turning to air or all the air in your lungs turning to concrete?

If you do, do you get 1/2 impact armour? Why does armour even help you 'resist' your blood turning to air?
GentlemanLoser
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (GentlemanLoser @ Dec 9 2007, 09:22 PM)
As said above, it's not a Damage Resistance Test, as it doesn't reduce the DV of the attack.

Which is why I said is was sort of a Damage Resistance test, as it does indeed directly reduce the damage you take from the spell with each hit you make. If you make as many (not even more, just an equal amount) hits as the caster, the spell doesn't work at all.

Isn't that exactly the same as the ID 'attack' test though?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Ryu @ Dec 9 2007, 07:46 AM)
Your mileage does vary.

You can get a Dwarf's willpower up to 9 at chargen without resorting to temporary boosts or stretching the rules, with temporary boosts, you can get that up to 13. Add in Magic Resistance 4 and you've got a natural 13 resistance dice before boosts. Take Braveheart as a Genetic Heritage and that's 14 before boosts raised to 15 by a few puffs of a joint of Deepweed and 17 by slap-patch of Nitro. That's before counterspelling.

So, a genetically engineered pot-smoking dwarf can throw as many dice as your ideal mage can. Give him Magic Resistance and he can throw more dice than your ideal make can. Give your magician a Force 3 combat spell focus and the Dwarf is still better.
Stahlseele
So, a genetically engineered pot-smoking dwarf can throw as many dice as your ideal mage can. Give him Magic Resistance and he can throw more dice than your ideal make can. Give your magician a Force 3 combat spell focus and the Dwarf is still better.

is 'cause dwarves are cool!
also would make one hell of a mage with that many dice to resist stun damage . .
Ryu
The limit on hits force provides does not limit mana damage spells in any way. Any mage that is build for casting elemental spells throws a high-force manaball, too.

And spell defense that bothers the combat mage is rare- it is possible, but thats where aid sorcery-tasks come into play.
hobgoblin
so thats what those dwarfs have in their pipes, deepweed nyahnyah.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (GentlemanLoser)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Dec 9 2007, 08:51 AM)
QUOTE (GentlemanLoser @ Dec 9 2007, 09:22 PM)

Isn't that exactly the same as the ID 'attack' test though?

No. It differs in a number of ways.

First, with Indirect Combat Spells, there is a normal Reaction est (like in Ranged Combat) to see if the spell hits. You don't get this at all with Direct Combat spells.

Secondly, the number of hits matter more with Direct Combat spells, because if you can get an equal amount of hits in defence, the spell fizzles. This is not the case with Indirect Combat spells, the damage from which has to be reduced all the way to zero.

For example, JoeBob casts a Force 5 Flamethrower spell at QuikRik and gets 7 hits on his spellcasting test (but only 5 will count as he is limited to a maximum number of total hits equal to the spell's Force). QuikRik trips up and only scores 3 hits on his reaction test, so the spell actually hits QuikRik, who then gets to resist with his Body of 4 plus half of his Lined Coat, so 6 dice. At present the spell is going to do 7P to Rik (Force 5 +2 net successes to hit), but each success that QuikRik now makes will reduce the damage. Let's say he gets another 3 hits, and reduces the damage down to 4P.

Same example, but using Manabolt. QuikRik gets no Reaction test, and only gets his Willpower to resist JoeBob's 5 hits. If QuikRik actually gets 5 hits on his resistance test, the spell does not work at all, even though it would do 6P damage if he only got 4 hits on his resistance test. The damage does not need to be reduced all the way, because the spell fizzles way before that could happen.
GentlemanLoser
First, with Indirect Combat Spells, there is a normal Reaction est (like in Ranged Combat) to see if the spell hits. You don't get this at all with Direct Combat spells.

This is exactly what I see the Magic + Sorc versus Bod/Will as. The Direct version of the Magic + Sorc versus Reaction test ID get.

They get exactly the same modifiers, bar CS.

Secondly, the number of hits matter more with Direct Combat spells, because if you can get an equal amount of hits in defence, the spell fizzles. This is not the case with Indirect Combat spells, the damage from which has to be reduced all the way to zero.

If it's treated as a Ranged attack, if you get zero net hits on the Magic + Sroc versus Reaction test, doesn't it miss, exactly like a D spell 'fizzling' ? Or do Ranged attacks automatically hit, no matter what net successes you get on the to-hit opposed test?

For example, JoeBob casts a Force 5 Flamethrower spell at QuikRik and gets 7 hits on his spellcasting test (but only 5 will count as he is limited to a maximum number of total hits equal to the spell's Force). QuikRik trips up and only scores 3 hits on his reaction test, so the spell actually hits QuikRik, who then gets to resist with his Body of 4 plus half of his Lined Coat, so 6 dice. At present the spell is going to do 7P to Rik (Force 5 +2 net successes to hit), but each success that QuikRik now makes will reduce the damage. Let's say he gets another 3 hits, and reduces the damage down to 4P.

And what happens if QuikRik got 5 on his reaction test?

Same example, but using Manabolt. QuikRik gets no Reaction test, and only gets his Willpower to resist JoeBob's 5 hits. If QuikRik actually gets 5 hits on his resistance test, the spell does not work at all, even though it would do 6P damage if he only got 4 hits on his resistance test. The damage does not need to be reduced all the way, because the spell fizzles way before that could happen.

What happens if QuikRik 'trips' on his Willpower test and get 3 (as he did in the original exmaple).

He suffers 7P with no soak...

So how would it be *ever* worse to throw the Manabolt at QuikRik than the flamethrower?
Stahlseele
And what happens if QuikRik got 5 on his reaction test?

it misses HIM completely . . but now replace flamethrower with fireball and he's most likely still getting caught in the blast . . as is everyone else in that area . . Elemental Spells allways hit SOMETHING . . while mana spells that get resisted hit NOTHING as far as i understand . .
GentlemanLoser
What's the diference between ireball and Manaball?

If it misses him, it misses him?

How are you also automatically caught in the AoE?
kzt
If you have 21 dice for sorcery tests so you can routinely get 7 hits it doesn't matter. You are casting force 15 spells, without overcasting.....

If we use a more rational number and assume a pool of 13 dice the average is 4 hits. Assume target has a will of 6. So on average they will get two successes. Ok, so direct spells work best. Now assume that the target is a runner team with 3 mages, all of whom have counterspell 6. So the target has (using teamwork) an average of 10 dice of counterspelling, which will soak 3 success. So your manaball does nothing.

A fireball will still likely do some damage, as you have to soak 10+ success to beat it down. Assume reaction 6 - soaks two successes, then two more from body 6, one more from armor 6, and 3 from counterspell. So they take two damage. Not great, but better then zero any day.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012