Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Martial Arts and running speed.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Phaeton
Does anyone think that if you perform a flying kick from a dash there should be a damage upgrade based on how fast he's running? I have a street-sam with twin kid stealth legs, knee spurs, retract. handblades mounted in the feet, Quickness upgrade 2 for both legs, STR enhancement level 2 for both legs, and retractable cyberskates mounted in them. Personally, I think the guy could do a lot of damage if he had a running start. grinbig.gif

...Anyway...What do you say?
ThatSzechuan
Just be prepared to take some damage yourself if you miss. biggrin.gif
Ol' Scratch
Not to mention a target number penalty ranging from +4 (running) to +6 (running on difficult terrain). If it came up in one of my games, the most I would do is add a little to the Power of the attack, but not by much. Maybe +1 per Running Modifier above ×2. I'd also treat it as if it were a "burst fire" for purposes of defeating hardened or vehicle armor. In other words, it wouldn't help out in those situations.
Phaeton
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Not to mention a target number penalty ranging from +4 (running) to +6 (running on difficult terrain). If it came up in one of my games, the most I would do is add a little to the Power of the attack, but not by much. Maybe +1 per Running Modifier above ×2.

That works. Although this character is an athletic freak...I'll bother calculating his max potential running speed later.
Backgammon
It's also freakishly easy to dodge for a prepared opponent.
Siege
You can make a case for that logic with jumping spin kicks and the like in Tae Kwon Do and other styles.

Certainly adepts with stupid amounts of Athletics dice (and/or Great Leap) should be interested in adding jumps, spins and various other acrobatics to increase the power of their attacks.

For that matter, just leaping in the air and landing on an unsuspecting target -- contrary to the WWF, 280 pounds of mass _landing_ on someone's back will leave a lasting impression.

Quick mechanic:
1) +1 power for every two Athletics successes.
2) Character must make Athletics check to land safely or take damage.
3) If the initial Athletics roll fails to generate any successes, not only does the attack fail but the character must make the landing check as per normal.

-Siege
Siege
QUOTE (Backgammon)

Unless it's a target that can't really dodge -- like someone on a horse...or motorcycle.

Thank the Mongols for Tae Kwon Do! grinbig.gif

-Siege
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Nov 27 2003, 04:18 PM)

Hence my suggestion to use the target number modifier. Note that it also makes a counterattack pretty devestating.
Phaeton
QUOTE (Siege)
You can make a case for that logic with jumping spin kicks and the like in Tae Kwon Do and other styles.

Certainly adepts with stupid amounts of Athletics dice (and/or Great Leap) should be interested in adding jumps, spins and various other acrobatics to increase the power of their attacks.

For that matter, just leaping in the air and landing on an unsuspecting target -- contrary to the WWF, 280 pounds of mass _landing_ on someone's back will leave a lasting impression.

Quick mechanic:
1) +1 power for every two Athletics successes.
2) Character must make Athletics check to land safely or take damage.
3) If the initial Athletics roll fails to generate any successes, not only does the attack fail but the character must make the landing check as per normal.

-Siege

Hmm. All of that works. cyber.gif

Now the real pain in the arse is the rules for applying martial arts manuevers to weapons and cyberblades. sarcastic.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Phaeton)
Now the real pain in the arse is the rules for applying martial arts manuevers to weapons and cyberblades. sarcastic.gif

It isn't really a pain in the ass. As I said in the other thread on this topic, just allow Maneuvers to be acquired for any Melee skill instead of just for Martial Arts.
Phaeton
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Phaeton @ Nov 28 2003, 10:24 AM)
Now the real pain in the arse is the rules for applying martial arts manuevers to weapons and cyberblades.  sarcastic.gif

It isn't really a pain in the ass. As I said in the other thread on this topic, just allow Maneuvers to be acquired for any Melee skill instead of just for Martial Arts.

Basically make it so you don't have to buy manuevers twice to enable them for use with weapons and cyberblades?
Siege
Exactly -- use the martial arts rules to determine how many techniques a character can buy for a weapon form.

I think the specific example was "Whirling" or maybe "Multi-attack". If Jack Daniels, dreaded street fighter uses his twin cyber spurs to properly execute the "Drunken Sailor Rolled on a Corner" technique which uncannily resembles the Ancient Elven form of Carromoleg's (sp) "Twist the Silly Pansy", he can just buy the technique with his "unarmed combat" skill.

Now, if you already have the technique and want to use it with a skill that you haven't purchased it for, I'd recommend the averaging idea I suggested earlier.

-Siege
Cain
To go back to the original question: use the charging attack option on p 86 of CC. With the high quickness that character has, he's virtually guaranteed the necessary movement. What's more, he can have moved the 2 meters at a walk, so he doesn't take nearly as many movement modifiers.
Fortune
QUOTE (Siege)
I think the specific example was "Whirling" or maybe "Multi-attack". If Jack Daniels, dreaded street fighter uses his twin cyber spurs to properly execute the "Drunken Sailor Rolled on a Corner" technique which uncannily resembles the Ancient Elven form of Carromoleg's (sp) "Twist the Silly Pansy", he can just buy the technique with his "unarmed combat" skill.

Actually, he'd add it to his Cyber-Implant Combat skill. smile.gif

Oh, and I love the Twist the Silly Pansy maneuver. biggrin.gif

Now, if you already have the technique and want to use it with a skill that you haven't purchased it for, I'd recommend the averaging idea I suggested earlier.

I disagree with this though. Just because a character has the Close Combat maneuver for Unarmed Combat, that shouldn't mean he can use it for any and all Melee skills he possesses. Maneuvers are cheap enough as they are that there is no need to do the 'average thing' in order to make them work. Pay the 2 Karma for each skill that you want to use that specific maneuver with.
mfb
er, funk, there's no mod for running in melee. and if difficult ground applied, it'd apply equally to all combatants.

if it were up to me, i'd change the +1 for charging to +1 per 10 mpt.
Ol' Scratch
That's why I said I'd apply the running multipler myself. I didn't think about using the charge option, though (mostly because it's never come up). That's a much better solution.
Siege
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Siege @ Nov 28 2003, 03:00 PM)
I think the specific example was "Whirling" or maybe "Multi-attack".  If Jack Daniels, dreaded street fighter uses his twin cyber spurs to properly execute the "Drunken Sailor Rolled on a Corner" technique which uncannily resembles the Ancient Elven form of Carromoleg's (sp) "Twist the Silly Pansy", he can just buy the technique with his "unarmed combat" skill.

Actually, he'd add it to his Cyber-Implant Combat skill. smile.gif

Oh, and I love the Twist the Silly Pansy maneuver. biggrin.gif

I disagree with this though. Just because a character has the Close Combat maneuver for Unarmed Combat, that shouldn't mean he can use it for any and all Melee skills he possesses. Maneuvers are cheap enough as they are that there is no need to do the 'average thing' in order to make them work. Pay the 2 Karma for each skill that you want to use that specific maneuver with.

Glad you enjoyed the "Twisted Pansy" maneuver. grinbig.gif

As for the average idea, it's designed to reflect a character taking knowledge in one style and blending it with other styles and techniques.

It would be like a karate student mixing in muay thai to develop his own personal style.

That being said, I was unaware of the two karma point purchase -- I thought it was X number of maneuvers based on your skill level. My GM doesn't use the system so I'm not as current on the numbers as I should be.

So yes, I'd just pay the two karma points and save yourself the headache.

-Siege
Fortune
QUOTE (Siege @ Nov 28 2003, 06:20 PM)
That being said, I was unaware of the two karma point purchase -- I thought it was X number of maneuvers based on your skill level.

Normal (canon) rules for maneuvers are that they are purchased for 2 Karma Points (or Build Points at chargen) per maneuver. A character can purchase 1 maneuver for every 2 points they have in a Martial Arts skill (IE. a skill of 6 means that the character could have 3 Maneuvers for a cost of 6 extra Karma). More maneuvers can be purchased, but the cost in both Karma and Build Points rises to 8 for each Maneuver after the preceding limit is exceeded.
Dim Sum
Hmmm, Fortune, did I read it wrong or isn't it that you HAVE TO purchase a maneuver for every 2 skill levels in a martial art? So, if you had a martial art skill of 2, you could not advance further without purchasing a manuever.
Fortune
IIRC, you can have a Martial Arts skill of 3 without having any Maneuvers, but cannot advance to 4 unless you purchase a Maneuver.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Dim Sum)
Hmmm, Fortune, did I read it wrong or isn't it that you HAVE TO purchase a maneuver for every 2 skill levels in a martial art? So, if you had a martial art skill of 2, you could not advance further without purchasing a manuever.

Unfortunately that's basically correct. It's a "special advantage" of the Brawling martial art where you don't have to buy a maneuver. It's a very nozzed-up system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012