Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metahumanity in space
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ddays
It states in augmentation that the metatypes due to the "astral shadow" on DNA from background magic count. And we know for a fact that metahumanity only arise when the dormant mana count is high.

So if we send an orc/elf/troll/dwarf into space where the background mana cost is 0, do they have a chance to revert back to a human? I guess probably not, since I think Zurich Orbital probably has a few metahuman inhabitants. But if they live out in the void, at least their kids won't ever become anything other than human right since there's no mana out there in the void to do anything. Unless each person brings up enough mana in their own being or something.

Just asking since I thought it would be a cool idea to have the Humanis Policlub or some other human supremist organization to build an asteroid off in space to cleanse humanity.
Mercer
I don't really see the Humanis having that level of resources, but it would make for a great wild and crazy plan on their part.
Gelare
I forget which, but there was definitely a book that said if you're born in space as a human, there's a chance upon returning to Earth that you'll goblinize into an ork or a troll. However, you will not turn into an elf or dwarf, because you have to be born that way.

EDIT: Now, as for Zurich Orbital, I'm betting that it actually has its own astral atmosphere - the people and plants living there for some time probably established a weak astral space there, so magic works, but not as well. So elves and dwarves would stay the same because they're born that way, and orks and trolls would stay the same because there's still some mana there.
Karaden
As anyone who has played FFVII should know, plans to clense humanity using astroids never quite work out . grinbig.gif

That aside, I would think that is fairly reasonable actually, but there may be some problems with it. Like a pregnate person might already have enough magic in them from their surroundings for their child to be an elf/dwarf, perhaps as early as conception. And as for goblinization, it can happen for a wide range of time, and so people would likely have to spend several years on the astroid to prevent themselves goblinizing (And since noone knows who will and won't, basicly -everyone- of this age would have to be on the station)

So, maybe some mad Humanis scheme, but not likely to be anything more then that, and even they may see these obvious flaws. Of course they may want to move the entier population to another planet or something, but once again that is really far fetched.
Ddays
More along the lines of Magneto and Asteroid X actually biggrin.gif

But anyway, hasn't Evo already established operations on Mars? Colonizing planets with pure human stock may not be that far off. Especially with superliminal bloodzilla on the loose.
Karaden
I think 'establishing operations' on a planet and colonizing it are rather far apart.

I mean we've had people in space stations for decades, and we've had fligths into space for even long, but we're still several years off from even having commercial flights into space, and much longer from resorts and such, and far far longer untill we have a significant number of 'joe average' people actually living in space.
Ravor
Hmm, it seems to me that Humanis would be better off researching the Astral Voids that if I remember correctly were caused by one of the FAB Strains.
Synner
Mana levels are necessary for the activation of the relevant metagenes by awakening their astral shadows. They are not necessary for their persistance. Typical metahumans can walk into astral voids or fovae without any physical aftereffects.

However, were a metahuman to be born in a mana void (space or elsewhere), theory says there's a strong probablity that their metagenes might not even tigger.
Ddays
QUOTE (Synner)
However, were a metahuman to be born in a mana void (space or elsewhere), theory says there's a strong probablity that their metagenes might not even tigger.

Whoo for Synner.

So there are chances that the theory is wrong and the genes express anyway?

And I believe space based habitats have already been established by a lot of corps, but I gues Humanis is hardly going to have resources to rent one...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012