Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Start of the Sixth Age
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JanessaVR
After a recent visit to wikipedia, I've noticed that the SR developers seem to have gotten the date wrong for the start of the Sixth Age. They have it as Dec 24, 2011, but the next Mayan Long Count begins Dec 21, 2012. Just FYI for anyone who might want to make adjustments to the timeline for their house rules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_..._Count_calendar
Negalith
SR time line is filled with miscalculations. Me, I ignore it all and just blow things up for fun and profit.
JanessaVR
Can't argue that that's not a valid approach to SR...smile.gif
Fortune
There is more than one way to read that calender. I have seen more than a dozen different dates (including yours and shadowrun's) ascribed to the beginning of the next Mayan age.
JanessaVR
QUOTE (Fortune)
There is more than one way to read that calender. I have seen more than a dozen different dates (including yours and shadowrun's) ascribed to the beginning of the next Mayan age.

Really? Can you provide a link? I'd love to read that.
Fortune
Not at present, but I'll look around when I get a chance.
Mercer
Here's one, basically the first thing google spat out. http://www.buzzle.com/articles/2012-coming...vilization.html
The ninth cycle, known as the Universal Underworld, will begin on February 11, 2011 and will end on October 28, 2011, lasting only 260 days. At the end of this final 260-day cycle, the Mayan Calendar simply stops. [The date October 28, 2011, the end of the Mayan Calendar, is based on a more recent understanding of the actual beginning of the Mayan "long count" calendar, according to Calleman. The original calculated date marking the beginning of the calendar defined the end of the "long count" as December 21, 2012, the date we hear most about.] Some believe the end of this ninth cycle is also known as the birth of the 6th Sun and the 5th Earth – the beginning of a new 5,125-year cycle.

This is a fun one. It looks like a New Age Site that quotes, among others, Ehran the Scribe. As near as I can tell, these people have no idea what SR is.

This Crazy Person is also banking on a 2011 date.

hobgoblin
hmm, all this talk of ages, and i just happened to download the zeitgeist movie...
knasser
QUOTE (Mercer)
This is a fun one. It looks like a New Age Site that quotes, among others, Ehran the Scribe. As near as I can tell, these people have no idea what SR is.

Hee. That's old. I remember seeing that ages ago. Still funny, though. I wonder how Shadowrun fiction made it into their belief system?
Fortune
Ancient History has had some science site(s) quote his web page write-up on Orichalcum as fact. biggrin.gif
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
hmm, all this talk of ages, and i just happened to download the zeitgeist movie...

I really wish the Zeitgeist guy would refrain from of the wild speculation he engages in, as it discredits the rest of the work. Also the three sections don't really have anything to do with one another and the later sections are basically out of left field entirely.

If you're going to make the argument that Christianity has its roots in an Egyptian Astrological cult you're on pretty solid ground. But don't start making connections to Hindu mythos because Hinduism by its nature absorbs other religious beliefs and it's realy hard to draw a line of causality there.

Hinduism doesn't proseletyze individuals, it incorporates other people's beliefs wholesale and tells their entire population that they are now "also Hindus" and starts showing up to their churches and worshipping their gods - and in a few generations it's just like Hinduism always had Farsi Fire Seers and the separate religion no longer exists. When you have that setup, when you have Hindus who actually count the Virgin Mary as one of their goddesses, then finding similarities between those gods and Christian beliefs is meaningless.

-Frank
Zak
Fact becomes fiction and fiction becomes fact. Nothing new there really.
Still interesting though. cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012